PDA

View Full Version : Baikal Airgun 5.5mm .22 cal review

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
The gun i got had no box, no manual nothing at all, i just got the gun in a Chinese air gun's box though it was NIb.

ergonomics:
the first thing that you will notice upon laying your hands on a Baikal mp512m is how handy it is i.e. light weight and compact in size compared to other airguns. just weighing a little over 2.25 kg and measuring 42 inches in length the gun gives you a perfect balance and the right feeling on the shoulder. the barrel length is around 17 inches.
Sights:
The gun is equipped with a metal rear sight whereas the front sights outer body is made of soft cheap looking plastic. the cap on the muzzle nose has to be unscrewed anti clock wise to open the front sight. however the rear sight has two way adjustments i.e. vertical and horizontal, which sometimes can be really difficult to sight in for perfect shots. unlike diana on the rear sight vertical adjustment dial has no numbers on it. The front sight is too thick in breadth that one is unable to see target when aiming, however a little horizontal foiling of the front sight always helps.

The Stock:
The wooden stock on the Baikal has no checkering or a cheekpeice and the wood also seems to be a cheap one. The stock has a polished finished, that gives the gun a softer look.. The recoil pad is a cheap plastic.

Safety:
The Baikal Mp512m comes with an automatic on board safety that turns on the time you cock the gun, hence meaning the gun has no chance of firing when the barrel is open because the safety doesn't turns off if the barrel isn't fully closed. That means that there is no way you can decock the air gun unlike the traditional airguns. due to its safety feature once the gun has been cocked it has to fired. Besides that if you disengage the safety there is no way to manually turn on the safety again. for that purpose you will have to open the barrel again and let the automatic safety work. the safety lock is located in in front of the trigger.

Trigger:
I found Baikal mp512m's trigger to be acceptable always firing when you expect and want to fire it, the trigger on the Baikal mp512m is not an adjustable one, however the trigger is consistent and shoots at a perfect stage of pull.

POWER:
The Baikal mp 512m's stated is 623 FPS for 0.22 cal 5.5mm. But there is a slight confusion in that velocity as the "M" in MP512(M) stands for magnum, so this might be the velocity with magnum pellets. Unfortunately i couldn't get my hands on magnum pellets and didn't get a chance to see there performance. however the pellets i used Diana,diablo, gamo match, irani all were standing loose in the air gun and were falling about 0.5 to 0.75 inches down the breach, which in result reduces power. I shot more than 100 birds with the gun and even the loose pellets passed through each bird. however most of the times the birds didn't fall right in there spot but fell after some time after bleeding maybe that was due to the lack of stopping power due the absence of magnum pellets.

conclusion:
The gun comes with a price tag of 18k -20k. I fired more than 1000 pellets through it in 15 days but the gun didn't feel like moving down. If you want to buy this gun just be sure that you will be willing to use magnum pellets with it.Otherwise the gun is a good value for money. And one more thing when it comes to airguns one always misses the name of Diana.

LionHeart
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Congrats for this new purchase and nice review as well. Brother just few things to ask for this time.
1. can u share you experience of using scope in this rifle (which scope is this and how it performed)
2. How it feels in-term of recoil if compare this mp512m with other common brands like, Diana, Gamo etc
3. Can/how you compare (in general) this air rifle with Gamo Shadow 1000 as both fall under 25K price tag.
4. Any experience of paper target shooting with this mp512m (Just want to see how good it is in grouping)

Thanks for sharing this nice review.

regards,

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 01:44 PM
@lionheart: thanks bro. following are the answers to your questions
1. The scope I used was a Tesco, installed and zeroed it myself though not to perfection but still it gave good result.
2. The recoil i would say on a scale of 10 stands at 6
3. Unfortunately i haven't used game shadow.
4. I am afraid I am never good with paper targets so never dared to try it.

P.S: I already used the gun got tired and then got rid of it.

LionHeart
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for this prompt reply along with the answers.... so your tesco is doing well on this mp512 but i have a bad experience of using tesco my on shahow 1000 as it started loosing zero after firing around 200 pellets (may be due to heavy recoil of shadow 1000).

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
@lionheart: bro actually the tesco scopes or every chinese made has these issues with airguns, they work better on .22lr rifles. look for getting a scope from abroad you will get it very cheap and it would never lose its zeroing.

Regards

LionHeart
11-02-2011, 03:58 PM
@lionheart: bro actually the tesco scopes or every chinese made has these issues with airguns, they work better on .22lr rifles. look for getting a scope from abroad you will get it very cheap and it would never lose its zeroing.

Regards

Yes I am having the same opinion regarding these cheap Chinese scope and wishing/hoping same from ages as you suggested above but yet havn't found any person who could accept this challenge of bringing any good/affordable air rifle scope + good quality long range pellets for me :( Still waiting/looking for some one suitable for this job ..... ?

regards,

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Bro let me see if anyone in my contacts agrees to do so i will let you know.

Regards

LionHeart
11-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the concern brother, much appreciated

regards,

Anaglyphical
11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
No problem bro, anytime

Regards

wasifali89
17-02-2011, 11:12 AM
i second lionheard on the tesco issues on a shadow 1000

but my experience isnt that bad, except that the scope falls back on the rails and eventually it has damadged a plastic covering on the rear of the air pump...........

but the accuracy hasnt ben afftected yet.... maybe i use it less

wasifali89
17-02-2011, 11:13 AM
@Anaglyphical

sir nice review there...... but the best part wouldve ben if you would ve done an accuracy test

but its on the bad part of papers that u dont like

harristch
19-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Tascos are not bad for medium power guns, but prices are high, go for leapers get them here via some relative from USA, very cheap there. quality scopes

wasifali89
19-02-2011, 01:20 PM
just passed by a shop and he was asking 32000 for a GAMO 1000