PDA

View Full Version : BuckShot - Selection Question

a_k
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Requirement is to fire full blooded shot to maximum range (say 50 yrds), what to be used Full choke or Buckshot open barrel?? further which shot size is to used, 000 buck ??

Glxspk
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Never use a full choke when using buckshots. Cylinder choke is best for buckshots. The pellets are already pretty low in number so you wouldnt need constriction.

Use Seller & Bellot heavy buckshot loads. Rottweil would be the best bet but is expensive.

Omkhan
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Glxspk, I tend to disagree. Full Choke can be used on 00/000 or SG/LG rounds pretty effectively. PROVIDED that they are lead pellets & not steel ones. Generally we have all lead pellets here hence safe to use em in full choke. Steel ones are definitely not recommended when using such choke(s)

TAREEN
03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
in full choke. Steel ones are definitely not recommended when using such choke(s)

Why is that?

Omkhan
04-04-2009, 12:21 AM
because the lead pellets will get compressed when shot through full choke, steel doesn't and hence can do a lot of damage to barrel through such choke.

Glxspk
04-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Glxspk, I tend to disagree. Full Choke can be used on 00/000 or SG/LG rounds pretty effectively. PROVIDED that they are lead pellets & not steel ones. Generally we have all lead pellets here hence safe to use em in full choke. Steel ones are definitely not recommended when using such choke(s)

I personally think there is no point in using a full choke when using SG. There are 9 pellets in an SG and they pretty much pattern well on a C or an IC choke. Try it on a pattern paper & you'll know what Im talking about.

I'll only recommend full choke for AAA.

TAREEN
04-04-2009, 08:23 AM
in full choke. Steel ones are definitely not recommended when using such choke(s)

Why is that?

because the lead pellets will get compressed when shot through full choke, steel doesn't and hence can do a lot of damage to barrel through such choke.
For the sake of readers' clarity, Steel shot will damage old barrels not designed to fire steel shot because the friction of steel shot against a steel barrel will create wear.

CHOKE is at the end, so regardless of its type, the damage will already be done by the time steel pellets even reach there. Steel pellets damaging a barrel applies to those guns that are NOT steel pellet compliant. The modern guns that can handle steel shots do have chokes capable to handle the job simultaneously.

Steel shots are lighter, harder & more uniform in shape therefore have shorter effective range in terms of energy per pellet but more uniform pattern. On the other hand, lead pallets are heavier and softer therefore tend to deform while leaving barrel. These pellets have more penetration power although less uniform pattern compared to steel ones.

HassaanAfzal
04-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree with glxspk