PDA

View Full Version : Is .45 more prone to Rust than smaller Calibers ?

Abbas
05-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Salams, I have seen more .45 barrels rusted than of any other caliber. Is it more prone to rust ? .45 barrels are of a small dia i.e the thickness of the barrel than 9mm's or .30, is this a factor ?

Aquarius
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
That really beats me Chief.. very good question.

12GAUGE
05-02-2011, 08:45 PM
theoretically, all barrels should be equally susceptible to rust, given their metallurgy is the same. however the way i'm thinking, given the larger surface area exposed to elements (larger diameter barrel) in case of 45ACP, it might develop rust earlier.

however one cannot be 100% certain on that because what looks like rust, could simply be copper fouling which generally builds up pretty quickly in non-chromed lined barrels.

Regards.

Starfish
10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I think the larger surface area thing may not be true. Subscribing to the same theory, pistols with longer barrels and rifles and finally 12Gauge ;) should rust as soon as you pull it out of the grease packing.
Yes, this might be the case. Copper fouling is a bigger issue in 45 when compared to 9mm and i think, (wait for it ... ... ...)
larger surface area of the copper jacket is to blame :P

Denovo87
10-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the larger surface area thing may not be true. Subscribing to the same theory, pistols with longer barrels and rifles and finally 12Gauge ;) should rust as soon as you pull it out of the grease packing.
Yes, this might be the case. Copper fouling is a bigger issue in 45 when compared to 9mm and i think, (wait for it ... ... ...)
larger surface area of the copper jacket is to blame :P

What about MORE propellant than 9mm to move heavier projectile than 9mm? cannot this be a reason of producing more mess inside the chamber n barrel making .45acp more prone to rust than a 9mm?
by the way getting a barrel/weapon rusty is more to blame the owner than the gun or its caliber if we are comparing the two different calibers of the same quality of weapon.
So we can say a .45 need generally more care than smaller calibers.

AK47
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
The .45's are less used by us, hence lie idle more than other of our guns, hence receive less routine care, that even unused weapons should receive. "Air" them a bit more, and clean and rust protect them as often as you do your more used guns, even these will keep shinning.

Regards.