PDA

View Full Version : My New Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner !

Abbas
01-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Salams,

For the past few weeks I was looking into Ultrasonic cleaning for my guns. The Ultrasonic gun cleaners I found online were quite expensive starting from about $ 200 and extending upwards of $ 1000. Cleaning liquid availability was also an issue since it would be inconvenient to have it imported on a regular basis. Reading Denovo's post the other day in the Ultrasonic article thread, I thought the surgical shops might have some thing I could use. So off I went to the most convenient store and asked the owner if he had an Ultrasonic cleaner, he told me no and had never heard of such a thing. I was a little disappointed but after a few trips to Sitara market one learns to keep an eye out for something the shop keeper does not realize he has. I saw a dusty little box lying in a corner shelf and asked to see it. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, an Ultrasonic Cleaner ! The owner was a little confused as he struggled to remember it and after ruffling through some documents sold it to me for Rs. 4000. I then asked him if he had any sterilizing liquid and checked a few makes till I found one that catered to Ultrasonic equipment. A 150ml bottle of it cost me Rs. 500.

Back home I could not wait to try my new cleaner. Since it was a first, I was a little hesitant to put my expensive gun barrels in it but then remembered a rusty almost junk local made Beretta 92fs barrel lying around. I had wasted a few hours on this barrel some time back trying to clean it using all conventional methods of rust removal / cleaning like hot water & soap, diesel, rust remover, mitti ki tail, Hoppes, WD40, gun oil and brass brushes but all had failed. I thought what better and more difficult test could I put to my new Ultrasonic cleaner. The pictures explain the rest:

The Ultrasonic Cleaner:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic2.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic3.jpg

The offending and completely rusted barrel:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic4.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic5.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic6.jpg

Ultrasonic Cleaner filled with Water and Cleaning Liquid:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic7.jpg

Cleaning Liquid Make and Specs:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic8.jpg

Ready to start cleaning:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic9.jpg

Abbas
01-02-2011, 03:55 AM
The cleaner was set for a default of 3 minutes and I wanted to give the barrel atleast 15 minutes of cleaning time before I took it out. Five runs later I took the barrel out not knowing what to expect. At first glance I was surprised at how clean the barrel looked and felt from outside. As I lifted it some rust poured out of the barrel into the cloth I was holding it with, I looked inside the barrel and was more than surprised. Ran two clean patches though the barrel with a barrel brush and here are the results.

The patches:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic10.jpg

Can you believe this ??? I was stunned and absolutely amazed !

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic11.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic12.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/AbbasMalik/Ultrasonic13.jpg

Conclusion:

What more can I say, Ultrasonic cleaning really works. What I could not do in 4/5 hours of wasted time, effort and supplies the little Ultrasonic cleaner did in 15 minutes of humming :)

The future of gun cleaning is Ultrasonic, I have become a huge fan of it and would go so far as to say that it is a 'MUST HAVE' for anyone wishing to call himself a gun enthusiast ! Get one !!

Rasal.Saleh
01-02-2011, 04:35 AM
What can one say.... those are impressive results, But Abbas bhai what about a larger size in which one can put in the complete gun... Will that work as well ?

Shahsjs
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Great work Abbas bhi and solid results.

PA
01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Great results

Aquarius
01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Really amazing indeed.. I am on my way to Sitara Market to get hold of one, provided they do have one.. thanks for the excellent sharing Chief.. truely said it is a must item for every gun enthusiast.

Abbas
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
@Shahsjs & P.A Thank you.

@Rasel.Saleh I was glad to have found one in the first place. A bigger one would indeed be nice but even then I would only put disassembled parts to clean and not the whole gun. After taking the parts out a through dip in WD40 or another lubricant is highly crucial to get rid of any moisture and prevent any possible future rusting scenario's. The Ultrasonic cleaner itself is safe enough for gun parts of any material.

@Aquarius Thank you, anxiously waiting to see if you can manage to find anything. More product variety and experiences are a must !

s.cheema
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
congrats, very nice results.

Starfish
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
As usual a brilliant find. I feel that I should thank you for extending yourself and undertaking experiments for the collective learning in PG. So far, I think this is the best rust removing method I have ever seen. Saves you a lot of trouble and gives you a shinny squeaky clean barrel with in minutes :)
Kudos for the effort and sharing this with us.

Aquarius
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
@Aquarius Thank you, anxiously waiting to see if you can manage to find anything. More product variety and experiences are a must !

Fully agreed Chief.. visited Sitara Market today but since it was late, half of the shops were already closed.. couldn't find in the remaining shops.. will visit earlier next time, hoping to find one.

Mani
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Great Work Sir.

Dr Zakir
02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Great find

AK47
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Amazing! Thanks Chief for sharing this very impressive experience. Speechless! "Itched" up. lolz!

Excellent, "Brave new World" kind of features.

Regards.

Saeen
02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Good find Abbas Bhai

Abbas
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
@S. Cheema, Starfish, Mani, Dr. Zakir, Ak47 and Saeen. Thank you.

This really is the most comprehensive and quick cleaning method to date. I suggest everyone being able to find one to get it asap.

I'll be testing the Ultrasonic cleaner on two more barrels today, will post results here.

AK47
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Chief.......Was just wondering, if the cleaner should be used only for barrels, guide rods, recoil springs? Or you gonna dip the full armor, anytime soon?

Regards.

Abbas
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
The cleaner can be used on the entire gun itself. The one I have is unfortunately too small for anything but the barrel and parts.

I'm hoping one of us will be able to get one of these: It's cheap and does the job just great.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/13073-quantrex-210-ultrasonic-cleaning-lubrication-system-accessory-basket-l-r-mfg.html

AK47
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
@Chief........Any idea on the cost of per time cleaning, of the cleaning agent??

Furthermore, even if the cleaner could accommodate entire gun, I fear displacement/evaporation of water remains from the firing pin section and hard to reach areas of the gun, would not quite suggest dipping slide and frame, what do you think?

This also prescribes a different way of cleaning, in that major efforts would be drying up the items and duly lubricating them, post-cleaning. I feel it means a proper oil-bath after cleaning?

Regards.

Abbas
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
As for the costs, haven't really thought about it but this is a good time as any to do a mental exercise. one 150 Ml bottle of cleaner costs Rs. 500 which in turn mixed with water in a ratio of 9/10 water 1/10 cleaner is good for cleaning 13-15 times. Each time I can clean two gun barrels, springs, firing pin, guide rod etc. So 13x2 = 26 guns cleaned. Water used is around 400ml which needs 40ml of cleaner. i.e the the 150ml bottle of cleaner can be used for approximately 85 guns which makes it around Rs. 6 per gun cleaned.

In a large gun specfic cleaner like the link above you can easily dip the entire gun, after the cleaning process is complete a lubrication liquid is added which lubricates the gun in much the same manner as it's cleaned.

My cleaner is not really gun specific nor can I get my hands on the lubricating agent required (I am trying to find a substitute) so for the moment I am drying the barrel with a clean cloth and then liberally spraying it with WD40 to get rid of any moisture and rust prevention. If lubrication is required then I use a drop of hoppes lubricating oil which work great.

Have also thought of dunking it in ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) or Motor Oil ;)

AK47
03-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Chief, this sounds good, indeed. Ideal for parts cleaning, useful for your special things also, comprising more of internal parts, and highly elbow-grease sparing on handgun barrels. Excellent.

Regards.

REHAN
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Results are good

Abbas
05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Yesterday tried dipping 3 completely rusted .45 barrels and one half rusted 9mm barrel in the cleaner. Ran for around 30 minutes or 10 runs. The barrels got cleaned about 65 %. The cleaner can't ofcourse repair metal that has turned to rust or deep pitting but with Hoppes powder solvent thrown in and some hard work cleaning the barrels made them all workable from junk condition.

The best way to use this cleaner would to dump the parts in it for cleaning 24/48 hours after usage. That way rust has not anytime to set in and is easily cleanable.

The original lubricating solution for the ultrasonic cleaner btw prevents the fouling from 'getting a grip' so as to say on the barrel / parts. All it needs is a clean cloth and the fouling comes right off.

Ka_Khan
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Excellent find and results !Cant beleive the barrel pics (Before and after).
I think the surgical supply shops around the cities should have it.Any idea for what purpose it is exactly used? also any 'side effects'?
To AK 47's question i will suggest soaking a cloth or a brush in it and rubbing over the parts which cant be dipped in it.
I am sure all the members will be looking for this 'magic liquid'.
@Aquarius if you find it in Peshawar,let me know :)

fakhar
25-02-2011, 01:36 AM
nice share chief- IN SCOPE OF CLEANING - ABOVE THE FIFTH POINT STATING OTHER METAL PARTS- HAND GUN BARRELS should be added now - its time :D

grin313
25-02-2011, 01:49 AM
results r unbelievable

a55kika
27-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Thats not cleaning the gun...Thats sterilizing it :)

arfat110
27-02-2011, 05:56 PM
great find chief

Amjad Ali
28-02-2011, 01:14 PM
nice shairing is that made in chine or made in switzerland

hunter468
25-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Thats not cleaning the gun...Thats sterilizing it :)

very well said dear "SRERILIZING IT"

ACHILLES
26-03-2011, 05:38 PM
The cleaner can't ofcourse repair metal that has turned to rust or deep pitting but with Hoppes powder solvent thrown in and some hard work cleaning the barrels made them all workable from junk condition.

Shall we throw hoppes powder solvent into the ultera sonic cleaner?

guns for me
26-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Chief very very nice product..... Thanks chief for bringing this kind of accessory front of us, many many thanks.

nornice9mm
31-03-2011, 09:55 PM
from where i get it?
i live in haripur ,i go to asla dealer but thay said use machine oil to clean

Syed Rehmat
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
hi Chief.
its really very good product introduced by ya.
Chief how it work on the barrel?
it spins or get oil and water hot.
kindly tell me, just for my knowledge.

Abbas
07-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Salams, overlooked this thread. Thank you all for the kind comments. I was quite impressed with Ultrasonic cleaning myself, when I want to thoroughly clean my barrels i.e every 1000 rounds or so I use the Ultrasonic cleaner on them. Really takes all the grime out.

Hoppes or any other flammable solvents are not recommended and even dangerous.

Arms dealers will not have these cleaners rather dental / surgical shops will. I met a Dentist friend on the range and asked him where he got his ultrasonic equipment. He was kind enough to forward me the contact details of the retailer in Lahore:

Contact person's name is Fiaz Butt or Qadri Sahib. Cell number is 0321-4472374. (If someone deals with them kindly share your experience and their product range here)

As for side effects to using Ultrasonic cleaning, there are none, just make sure to dry the metal parts thoroughly and spray / lube them with an anti moisture.

I also found a really good explanation of the Ultrasonic cleaning process on the web. Pasting it here:

What is Ultrasonic Cleaning?
Ultrasonic cleaning is the use of an aqueous medium aided by ultrasound to remove soluble and insoluble foreign particles through dissolution and displacement.

Ultrasound is sound transmitted at frequencies beyond the range of human hearing
Ultrasonic energy is generated by a piezoelectric transducer which is powered by a generator
The typical ultrasonic equipment generates sound energy at a rate of 40,000 times per second to create cavitation
Cavitation creates the scrubbing action necessary for ultrasonic cleaning

Cavitations: The working mechanism of Ultrasonic Cleaning
Cavitation is the formation and collapse of countless millions of tiny cavities or vacuum bubbles in the liquid. The transducer’s movement produces alternating high and low pressure waves within the liquid in the tank. The liquid is compressed during the high pressure phase of the wave cycle, and pulled apart during the low pressure phase. As the pressure in the liquid is reduced during the low pressure phase, cavities grow from a microscopic seed to a maximum critical diameter. During the subsequent high pressure phase they compress and implode. The energy is very powerful but safe for parts because it is localized at microscopic scale.
Myths of Ultrasonic Cleaning

Ultrasonic cleaning with water works miracles!
It depends on the type of dirt to be cleaned. Just using water for ultrasonic cleaning, it works great with the dirt particles that are soluble in water. Although ultrasonic cleaning can displace insoluble dirt, it cannot prevent them from re-adhering back especially for oil based ones unless detergent chemical is used.
The higher the ultrasonic frequency used for cleaning, the better and stronger it cleans
The higher ultrasonic frequency creates smaller cavitation bubbles. With same amount of electrical energy provided, higher ultrasonic frequency creates cavitation bubbles that implode weaker too. They will not be able to remove away big and tough dirt particles. However, the higher frequency can penetrate deeper and clean away lower micron dirt particles. Therefore depending the type of cleaning application such as removing fine dirt particles experienced in optics and semiconductor industries, higher frequencies may cleans better.

The lower the ultrasonic frequency, the poorer cleaning is expected.
Larger cavitation bubbles are created when lower ultrasonic frequencies are used. These bubbles implode at a much greater force compared to those generated by higher ultrasonic frequencies. They will be able to remove big and tough particles because of stronger cavitation. However, lower frequencies are less effective in removing very fine dirt particles. Therefore, the cleaning performance depends on the correct ultrasonic frequency for the type of dirt to be cleaned.

Ultrasonic is only required for precision cleaning
Ultrasonic cleaning can also be used in traditional cleaning baths. Ultrasound waves provide the mechanical agitation to speed up the cleaning process. It also reduces the amount of cleaning chemical required to achieve the same level of cleanliness. Using ultrasonic cleaning provides a standard level of cleaning compared to manual brushing which can be unreliable. In all, ultrasonic cleaning technology helps to save costs and achieve better results in your cleaning processes.

Sohail
07-04-2011, 02:58 PM
what a classic tool, i m really impressed. thanks for the contact.

HussainAli
08-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Chief, Now things are looking practial at first I was thinking this method as mata-phasical treatment but for sure Agreed with the Kind of Cleaning it may perform....... now after the clue of getting the relevent items things look much clear ...........

Will sure look for it in KHI at the Surgical stores and will update the form with my experince /price review etc....

Regards

marlin vs
12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Great post abbas,thank's for sharing.

Abbas
13-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Thank you Sohail / Marlin, hoping to see some results from other members as well.

Khalidsh
18-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Abbas Bro .... I dont doubt your judgment but I thought to try the same. Bought one off the shelf of a store. It costed me 6000. It really works. Good that you introduced such a nice device.

syed haider shah
26-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Very nice post Abbas. Qadri and Fiaz Butt of GlowPak?

American Lockpicker
27-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Oh wow! That beats my methods of using rust remover chemicals, steel wool or rotary tool with brass brush. Also nice Swiss cleaning solution. Schweizer Qualität :)

Slayerjatt
27-01-2012, 02:15 PM
very handy equipment chief. just thinking would it be equally effective to remove rust from gun frames?

Mughal
09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Well if an Ultra Sonic degreasor is not easily available then Triklone liquid chemical can also be used to clean any part of the gun. Triklone is originaly from France and it is mainly used for removing dirt and grease from Surgical Instruments.
Triklone is availabe in a drum packaging but is also available in loose packaging.

Denovo87
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome aboard Mughal bro; nice to have another Garaen on board. Thanks for the tip on Triklone.

Ataulmunim
15-02-2012, 02:43 PM
awesome find, excellent results.. would try to get my hands on it through a friend who has a shop for watches and optics. He would surely have an idea about this..

American Lockpicker
17-02-2012, 03:14 AM
...a friend who has a shop for watches and optics...

What kind of optics and watches? :) Those are another interest of mine. :)

Ataulmunim
17-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Watches and optics is a simple equation bro :P Optics not as in scopes for guns, but spectacles for us to wear ;) Now I think your interest will diminish ... hehe

Ataulmunim
17-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Watches and optics is a simple equation bro :P Optics not as in scopes for guns, but spectacles for us to wear ;) Now I think your interest will diminish ... hehe

American Lockpicker
17-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Ahh other than the Ray Bans I have I'm not too interested in glasses. I was hoping scopes as you mentioned or binoculars...

haiderkn
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
brother did you find one in sitara market...