PDA

View Full Version : Silicone grease for gun lubrication??

shoaibnadeem
29-01-2011, 11:38 PM
AOA all respectable members!

Though I am a member of PG for almost a year now but this is my first post! Actually I am good listener :) I've bought a darra made TT through a reliable source there. It was badly covered with light green coloured grease, barrel, slide, spring and everything including trigger assembly was fully covered with the it. Last night I fully stripped my gun even firing pin! washed everything with the cleaning formula of Sir 12GUAGE. The result was amazing.. Lubricated the firing ping with POF gun oil. Then I lubricated the parts with some transparent silicone grease (bought by my father some years back). Couldn't apply it properly into the trigger group :( I request the seniors to throw some light on it.. Is it ok to use silicone grease? to lubricate firing pin with POF gun oil? and how to lubricate trigger group?

now a typical Pakistani Sarkari sentence..
"YOUR COOPERATION IN THIS REGARD WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED"

12GAUGE
30-01-2011, 03:28 AM
AoA shoaibnadeem

Congratulations for your first post. kindly allow me to recommend against using any grease in the trigger group. the grease should only be used on slide and frame rails. no where else. for everything else any light oil would be good enough.

as far as lubricating firing pin area is concerned, this is mostly a grey zone with views leaning towards both ends of the spectrum. some recommend no lubrication whatsoever as it promotes fouling and sticky firing mechanism whereas others like me, recommend lubrication but thorough cleaning after a certain amount of round count.

POF oil is a light mineral oil with some penetrating abilities. it should be good enough for the job. as far as silicon grease is concerned, i'm afraid I have no experience with it therefore it is only appropriate that I refrain myself from commenting on it.

Regards.

HussainAli
30-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Dear Shoaib nadeem Bro, Well come to PakGun's and finally you have started talking now :) .
About your question and a very well answered by 12Gauge Bro one of our Mods and Senior members, Light oil will do well Silicon grease is some what synthatic grease, I perfer not to use such item beause for a carring perpose it damage /stains cloths plus attrect dust etc.
But yes if you want to store your Gun for long period then you may apply any grease or silicon once, plus also add some Silicon gel to avoid moisture, which cause rust.

About fring pin, As 12Gauge bro said it should be lightly lubricated upon a certian time /firing rounds, but that should be very light due to oil are good conductors for dust.

Hope these answre clear much ..........

Regards

shoaibnadeem
31-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanx alot for the prompt reply sir! didn't get clear about the trigger group lubrication? The gun came with trigger group full of dried up desi grease and I washed it thoroughly. What about greasing or lubricating a DESI trigger group? kindly elaborate.. I am talking about a darra made TT, not a branded gun, that's why I am a little confused. Are the maintenance rules same for a desi or branded gun?

HussainAli
01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Are the maintenance rules same for a desi or branded gun?

You are most welcome Shoaib Bro, Yes rules are the same for every Guns, Grease is an open invatation to Dust and then rust, therefore avoid it to max. until you have to store your Gun for years in a safe place, then only cover it with thick oil or grease, but if you are carring it with yourself, then a light oil is good enougf. Plus regular cleaning is recomanded upon every firing.

And yes how much did you bought it for ? and can you post some pictures for the help please to make things more clear.

Regards

shoaibnadeem
02-02-2011, 12:31 AM
thanx alot once again HassanAli bro! will take your precious advice seriously. and yes, will post the pics very soon. btw I bought it from okara for 9.5 K to be precise. I have been told that it is made on a special order and is in replacement warranty of 2 years. I had to wait for 1.5 months after placing my order. also saw cf98 there for 35K. what is your opinion about 9.5K ?

HussainAli
02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
thanx alot once again HassanAli bro! will take your precious advice seriously. and yes, will post the pics very soon. btw I bought it from okara for 9.5 K to be precise. I have been told that it is made on a special order and is in replacement warranty of 2 years. I had to wait for 1.5 months after placing my order. also saw cf98 there for 35K. what is your opinion about 9.5K ?

Dear Shaib,
9.5K is a good market price for a nice peice of Art, as in KHI a good local TT is avaiable in 10K to 11K so I think this price is cool, happy shooting and yes remember the GUN ethics tooo...

safeershah
18-03-2011, 11:35 PM
thank God you didnt asked for KY jelly :)

Skeeter60
21-03-2011, 03:35 AM
12 GAUGE
Bravo. you are on the dot in my humble opinion. Absolutely right.

shoaibnadeem
22-03-2011, 12:18 AM
thank God you didnt asked for KY jelly :)

Silicone grease has nothing to do with KY Jelly shah g!! Both have no relation at all, same as lifeboy soap has no connection with an RPG.. :P