PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Lubricating Autoloader's Gas System

Hamid
05-12-2010, 04:54 PM
There is a long inconclusive debate on whether to lube the magazine tube and gas system of an autoloader. I have read some user's manuals of leading gun manufacturers, including Berreta, and they all say not to lube the magazine tube or gas system.
On the other hand, most of gun owners liberally lube the magazine tubes and are happy with it.

Magazine tubes are chromed which make them scratch-rust resistant. Do we still need to lubricate them?

12GAUGE
05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
AoA Hamid Sb.

I too used to wonder on the same subject then one fine day succumbing to the temptation, I started lubricating (very lightly) the magazine tube, the spring, the cylinder walls and the piston. I haven't looked back. you see, the moment you realize there is no such thing as too much lubrication, you are as free as a bird. :)

Regards.

Hamid
05-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I guess every hardcore shotgunner has one it-works-best-for-me practice:)
I think the reason behind shotgun manufactures' direction not to oil the gas system is to be on the safer side i.e. What if a nut oils the gun with combustible oil which catches fire soon after the first shot, landing the manufacturer in an expensive law suite.

Skeeter60
05-12-2010, 08:54 PM
The gas piston should not be lubricated nor the gas cylinder as Gas Cooking the oil will blacken the cylinder and may or may not cause problems . I never ever lubricated pistons of my auto shotguns in use since 1983. Also oiling the magazine spring and the tube will cause stoppages sooner or later as it starts to accumulate gas and dust with shooting and hunting in dusty conditions. It caused problems for me and my friends in the case of various models of Beretta Autos, these may not cause problems for others but since the muck remains hidden and when the guns causes stoppages it causes too much trouble and on dis assembling you will be surprised to see the amount of dirt in the magazine tube. An oily magazine tube will also leave an oily film on the cartridges which will increase bolt thrust and can be dangerous.

Hamid
06-12-2010, 04:46 PM
@Skeeter sb, your observation sounds logical.

francolino
07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
The gas piston should not be lubricated nor the gas cylinder as Gas Cooking the oil will blacken the cylinder and may or may not cause problems . I never ever lubricated pistons of my auto shotguns in use since 1983. Also oiling the magazine spring and the tube will cause stoppages sooner or later as it starts to accumulate gas and dust with shooting and hunting in dusty conditions. It caused problems for me and my friends in the case of various models of Beretta Autos, these may not cause problems for others but since the muck remains hidden and when the guns causes stoppages it causes too much trouble and on dis assembling you will be surprised to see the amount of dirt in the magazine tube. An oily magazine tube will also leave an oily film on the cartridges which will increase bolt thrust and can be dangerous.

very informative ... how often should this magazine be cleaned in your opinion?

HasanJamshad
07-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I always read the gun manual and follow the cleaning/oiling instructions as specified by the company. I own two semi-auto shotguns, one gas operated and the other an inertia driven. Both companies don't recommend oiling the system except the bolt rails(just a drop on each side), so i never tried to discover what was not known to the manufacturer.

Hamid
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I also have this 'bad' habit of reading user's manuals. I used to read a lot of them during my exams:) I am also a go-by-book person when it comes to machines.

PrivateEye
08-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Always follow the Manuals. And I would second Skeeter Sahib for not oiling the mag tube, mag spring or piston, bad idea. Just clean it regularly after sessions.

Skeeter60
10-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Francolino
If you do not oil the magazine tube and spring and cartridge guide, it will need to be cleaned may be once in a year

hunter468
24-02-2011, 10:41 AM
my shotgun manual for browning recommends a light coat of oil in magazine tube (light means really light).it is a inertia driven one ,so dont know about oiling the gas system etc .