PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Winchester 94 - A Query

Starfish
29-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I was going through my periodic reading on my favorite riffle of all times, the winchester lever action. Designed in 1894 (hence the name) by the MAN J M Browning and produced for over a century, the lever action 94 holds a legendary place in history. Needless to say, there will be a special cornice in my house waiting for the winchester 94 if i ever get my hands on one. However, the only thing I find here is the Marlin, that too in 30-06.

Anyways, while going through a comparison or Marlin and the Winchester, I came to know that the 94's manufactured before 1964 are called pre 64 and command a premium value and rarity. The only reference I found was that Winchester changed the manufacturing process a bit but that alone should not cause such an overwhelming shift in gun value and demand. Does any one know why the pre 64 model 94 is so much sought after than the post 64 ones? I mean what happened in 64?

Here a picture of a pre 64 model 94 that i found on the internet.

http://s3.postimage.org/qb_Li.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1h6hucric/)

Sami
30-10-2010, 09:38 PM
A.O.A,
Dear Star fish, the reason is very much the same we have been facing in Pakistan and that is Inflation.

In early 1960s the production costs of the traditional Model 94 with all of its forged steel parts had risen dramatically. Winchester executives realized that soon the Model 94 would have to be priced beyond the reach of the average hunter. To save the Model 94 and restore a reasonable profit margin the company took these measures.

•Redesigned the action for cheaper manufacture.
•Substituting stamped sheet metal and roll pins for parts previously machined from forged steel.
•The steel butt plate became plastic
•Less durable metal finish was substituted for the traditional bluing.

Most of the shortcomings of the post 1963 Model 94s were eventually corrected, but the pre '64 versions remain the most desirable of all Winchester Model 94s

Specifications of the pre’64 model 94’s
• Caliber - .30-30 Winchester
• Magazine capacity - 6 cartridges
• Barrel length - 20" (round)
• Twist - 1 in 12"
• Trigger pull weight - 3 pounds
• Length of pull - 13 3/16"
• Length overall - 37 7/8"
• Weight - 7 1/2 pounds

bigbrother
02-11-2010, 07:36 AM
I currently own Winchester Model 1895, a lever-action repeating firearm which was developed and manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, in the late 19th century. It is chambered for a number of full-size military and hunting cartridges such as 7.62x54mmR, .303 British, .30-06 Springfield, .30 Army, .35 Winchester, and .405 Winchester.
Unlike most Winchester repeating rifles, which fed from a tube magazine under the barrel, the Model 1895 features a 5-round box magazine located underneath the action. This allows it to chamber military and hunting cartridges with spitzer (pointed) projectiles. The Model 1895 also has a stronger action than traditional lever-action rifles (such as the Winchester Model 94), which means it can handle the increased pressures generated by the more powerful smokeless powder cartridges then entering common use by the military and for hunting.
This is a .405 WCF caliber rifle, with a shotgun style butt with rubber pad. Raised dovetail blade front sight and sporting buckhorn rear sight, with the 2-line nickel steel marking on the left side of the barrel and caliber mark behind the rear sight. Markings on the frame are standard, with the two line address and patent marks on the left side, Serial Number on the lower tang and two line model marking on the upper tang. Smooth straight grip stock with Schnabel tip forearm, "B" cut into the underside of the wrist and a crushed recoil pad.

Specifications:
• Cal./Gauge: .405 W.C.F.
• Barrel(s): 24"
• Weight: 8 Lbs 8 ounces
• Sights/Scope: Standard with Lyman side mount.
• Stock: American walnut.
• Stock Dimensions: LOP: 12 1/2"
• Butt/Pad: Crescent steel
• Bore Condition: Good, sharp rifling, no rust pitting.
• Serial No. 40300

Markings on the Gun
• Nickel Steel Barrel – Specially for Smokeless Powder
• Model 1895 Winchester
• Trademark Reg. US PAT OFF & FGN
• Manufactred by Winchester Repeating Arms Co., New Haven, Conn., USA
• Patented Aug 6 1807
• Lyon & Lyon, Calcutta
• 405 W.C.F. Barrel
• Serial No. 40300

If anyone is interested in buying, a reply may be posted here. I will only offer to sell the gun with the permission of Mods.

Starfish
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Very nice!
Kindly post pictures! I m sure many including myself would love to see this one.

Haider Shah
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
401 Bore Winchester model1910, SLR i.e Self Loading Rifle,having following markings
Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co,New Haven Con USA, Self Loading Model1910,Pat Aus27,Dec10,1901,Feb25,1902,Feb17,1903,Aug21,Oct30 1906,July 5,1910.Serial #16702.
Manton & Co Calcutta

http://s2.postimage.org/z1PA9.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1z4kttqn8/)

http://s2.postimage.org/z35oJ.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1z61r0ug4/)

Starfish
03-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you Haider! I was expecting a lever action but this is also a class of its own.
I have a couple of questions for you. It would be great if you can take some time to answer.
Do you regularly use it? If yes then for what purposes? (Hunt, range etc)
Can find ammo for it these days? If yes then how much is it?

Appreciate your response.

Skeeter60
16-11-2010, 10:06 AM
The pre 1964 Winchester (Model 70) is a bolt action rifle. It is a true derivative of the Mauser 1898 action.
The pre 64, as these are lovingly called has a Controlled Feed and a non Rotating Claw Extracter just like you find on the Mauser M98.
It has many more fine attributes, like the Coned breach and Gas Shield. I will write in detail about it shortly.
In 1965 Winchester came out with a Model 70 in which they did away with the Controlled feed Extracter which spelled disaster for Winchester.
Winchester came back with the Classic Model 70 in 1990 and again tried to capture some of the lost ground in rifle sales. Will write in detail later with pictures.

Avais
16-11-2010, 08:57 PM
bigbrother can u please post some pictures.?

wasifali89
17-11-2010, 11:36 PM
my dream collection item as well