PDA

View Full Version : Newbie... Buying a NPB Rifle for the First Time

Haider
12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Dear PG users

I am new to this forum. So a warm hello to all.

I am basically a shotgun nut. I am hunting since I was 15 years old. I have always used either a buck shot or lg/sg for deer etc. but I am keen on a buying a rifle now for long range shooting. I have narrowed down my search to .308 /30-06 or a 7mm. After a lot of search on net, Remington 700 or t3 sounds promising but availability is a major issue. As for the scope, I already have a zeiss 4x12-50 and a Nikon 6x18-50. I have got the mounts as well but having a scope before the rifle is like having the ingredients of pizza without the dough. Please share the ones ur using.

As far as the game is concerned in Pakistan, anything apart from 7mm is a over kill because we donít have much of a room when it comes down to big game. Also, I am not sure of led Varity because the price shoots sky high. I donít see a point in buying rounds worth 200+ each because I believe it takes at least 100+ rounds to know your rifle or scope.

I would really appreciate if could you share your stuff along with your experience? Or guide me in my search? Thanks
http://s2.postimage.org/fCsdr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Skeeter60
13-10-2010, 02:18 AM
HAIER

It will take some discussion. Pl email jawedu@hotmail.com

Avais
13-10-2010, 07:08 AM
@Haier : Brother discuss this with skeeter60 through e-mail and he is the best one to give you most appropriate suggestions.
Anyway 30-06 could be a good choice as there is a large variety of ammo for this caliber.

Haider
13-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Ahhh.... finally somebody replied, i thought none is willing to help lol

Thanks skeeter and Avais

I'll email you skeeter. Thanks

Skeeter60
13-10-2010, 10:04 AM
@HAIER
AVAIS has given a very good suggestion.
A 30-06 is an undisputed king of cartridges for the last 105 years, it is still one of the top ranking cartridge in sales in countries where hunting is done at very large scale.
You can use bullets from 55grains (accelerator) to 220 grains for real big and heavy stuff; how ever the most useful bullets are the 150 grainers and the long range 165 grain bullet, you can use it as an allround bullet which will give you flat trajectory and retain lot of energy at long ranges and also has relatively lesser effect of wind. It will be good from chinkara to NeelGai and every thiing in between.
Hornady has made ammunition which they call as 30-06 Light Magnum this ammo gives higher velocities and closes the gap between the 30-06 and the 300 Winchester Magnum.
( Remember use only one type and make of ammo ,when you change ammo you have to re zero your rifle ) Sometimes cheap military ammo is available which can be used for practice.
Another good cartridge is the 270 Winchester, it is also good and has similar ballistics but its most useful bullet is the 130 grain one; it has a 140 and a 150 grain bullet also but these lose their velocity and trajectory advantage relatively. There are lighter bullets like the 120 and 90 grains but these are not accurate in all rifles and are varmint bullets not to be used on any thing bigger than a Chinkara. Again I find it is better to use a heavy ,harder and some what slower bullet on smaller animals as these cause less meat destruction.
7mm or the 7x57
The 7mm is the first modern cartridge and almost all the popular cartridges like the 30-06 the 270 etc were spawned from this cartridge. It is a very good cartridge and popular even today after almost 120 years or so, bullets fro 140 grain to 175 grains can be used and with high sectional densities and ballistic coefficient this bullet is effective on all game with proper bullet selection. It has softer recoil, I consider the felt recoil of the 30-06,the 270 and the 7mm Magnum to be the same; if you blind fold some one and make him fire the three calibers I do not think one can tell one from the other.

The 7mm Magnum
Another popular cartridge with a great range of bullets, popular ones are from 140 to 175 grains; it gives higher Muzzle velocities and excellent trajectories and wind deflection at long ranges is minimal, it is my favourite and I prefer it for real long range shooting up in the mountains.
Ammunition is expansive , the cheaper ammo is 7mm as it is supposed to have minimal tax on ammo import on it (Late FM Ayub Khan ) had passed the rule that 7mm Rifles and ammo to be nearly Tax free so it is still cheaper than most.
You have good scopes, but I would request for hunting you should have minimal power on zoom scopes like 2x to 8x or or 3 to 10 or so, a scope with a minimum power of 6 will give you very little field of view and it will be impossible to take running shots and close shots with this power. Space is too short to discuss every thing.

Haider
13-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I have sent you an email from my office account, did you get it?

Haider
13-10-2010, 11:03 AM
i have a 8mm mag, the kick is bit too much, round cots around 400 + with 180 grains. Your absolutely right, 30-06 is one of the best caliber in the history but i find 308 more accurate. i think its inherently accurate.
ive been kicking things around and the 270 got my attention a while back....but the 308 and 270 seem pretty similar in terms of FPS 308 has more variety of bullets but i haven't seen any here and i find wah round as garbage so as I sit here scratching my head trying to figure out the difference I figured I would ask you....So what is the difference in performance..useage ect between a 270 and 308? i believe, 270 uses the 30-06 case?

As far as the bullet weight is concerned, ur absolutely right that anything beyond 150 grains in 270 will result in a major drop. Over more, the round is bit expensive too. Anything less then 120 is a varmint round.

I admit All 7mm bullets are the magic bullets of bullets, coefficient, flat shooting yada yada.

Have you experienced the WAH 308? are they any good? i have used a lot in G3 when my father was in army but somehow, i don't feel comfortable with it if you know what i mean.

Do we have 7mm-08 here?The 7mm magnum is real step up in power, recoil, and
muzzle blast from a 7mm/08. It is very much a long range powerhouse.

As for the scope, ur again right, the ones i got is 4x12 and 4x16 which i think will serve the purpose provided if the mounts fit on the rifle.

I asked for a 30-06 or 308 or 7mm on form, i got am email from a user selling rem 721. I am confused because the rifle is VERY GOOD but rem stopped manufacturing those 50 years and replaced it 700 which is out of my reach. A dealer is selling it for 300k which nuts.

Skeeter60
13-10-2010, 12:25 PM
In my opinion go for a .308, because of all the reasons you have written.
The POF .308 has accuracy problems but extremely dependable military round.
The 721 is a fine rifle and hardly any different from the 700, but the price bieng asked is too much.
The 7mm 08 has the same performance as a 7x57 but can be used in Short Actions and 308 cases necked down to take the 7mm bullet. The .308 cases are abundant and the short action is lighter and more compact so it became popular (IT IS NOT INTERCHANGE ABLE WITH 7X57 ) You will have problems finding the ammo so forget it.
Excellent 30-06 ammo and .308 ammo is available in Lahore Malik Fayaz and Farhan

Haider
13-10-2010, 12:33 PM
THANK YOU skeeter for taking the time and discussion... i might bother you again if i am confused

My hunt for rifle begins... please ping me at haiderkc@hotmail.com if anyone knows any seller of 308 or 30-06. If not, I'll adjust for 7mm too

Avais
14-10-2010, 12:02 AM
@Skeeter60: Thanks for the compliments and very comprehensive knowledge on different cartridges. Its a great addition in my little knowledge about various calibers.