PDA

View Full Version : What can too much Lubrication do to your pistol?

coolbox18
11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
1. I was firing my CZ999 pistol a few weeks ago, and noticed a lot of gun lubricating oil dripping out of the sides after i had fired a few rounds. I realized that this was too much lubrication. A colleague confirmed it.

2. A few days after above, I was firing my CZ999 pistol lubricated this time with gun grease. Again after a few shots, I could see grease flowing (sort of) out of the side of the slide. Also, to my surprise, I could see grease on mag lips(the next bullet actually acquired some of it too), and the close by parts of frame aroud the extractor/ejector.

I would like to know (besides the optimum lubrication for both lubriacting agents) the possible problems one could face because of above situations, if any?

Abu Al Hawl
11-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Strip your weapon and thoroughly Lubricate it after a firing session, leave it stripped for an hours time and then wipe it thoroughly, specially your barrel should be dried up properly. too much lube in a barrel can cause KABOOM!!!

Amjad Ali
11-10-2010, 05:44 PM
dear brother coolbox will you please tell us the name of lubricant because most of lubricants absorbed after 30 minutes of use

but may be you are using something different or extra quantity for cleaning sir Abu Al Hawl is also right try his style and

then fire again .

shahroze
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
dear brother coolbox will you please tell us the name of lubricant because most of lubricants absorbed after 30 minutes of use

but may be you are using something different or extra quantity for cleaning sir Abu Al Hawl is also right try his style and

then fire again .

agreed

AK47
11-10-2010, 06:39 PM
@Coolbox..............Bro, I pointed this out to you, if you remember, long ago, at our dinner together when I field-stripped your dripping Shark! ;)

Actually, the amount of oil that I know you do apply to your guns is o.k, but only for storage of the same. :)

As for weapons that you do use occasionally, too much grease/lubrication can cause jams in the form of FTE's and even FTF's (Failure to fire), if too much oil/grease enters the area and tiny hole of the firing pin section, which it inevitably will, sooner or later, and that may cause lighter primer strikes which can result in the above FTF ! :o

Also too much oil, as you already have experienced, into the mags and thereby onto the rounds can also cause cycling issues.

More experienced respectables may have more to say here.

As for oiling/lubricating, do give a "touch" wherever you feel, but main lubrication/greasing is only to be applied to the moving parts that cause friction with each other. I lubricate the channels of the slide and frame slightly, and the barrel's outer slightly. As for the inner barrel, I simply run through a rust protector swab, once in a bi-week or so.

Grease rather than oil, provided that if you use it correctly, will prevent the "spitting" effect during fires that you mention above, but heck, you're like kind of making a full "quarter pounder Hardees" with extra mayo out of that! ;) :lol:

Abbas
11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
My personal preference is three drops of Hoppes No 9 at every cleaning session.

Although grease is great, I don't like it. People say it helps retain accuracy after 5000 or more rounds but well before that time I'm ready to change my gun anyway.

coolbox18
12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
@AAH bro
@AK sb
@Amjad sb
@Abbas Sb

Thank you for the feedback :)

Grease rather than oil, provided that if you use it correctly, will prevent the "spitting" effect during fires that you mention above, but heck, you're like kind of making a full "quarter pounder Hardees" with extra mayo out of that! ;) :lol:
:D :lol:
Yes AK sb, I have now mended my ways and am going 'no sauce, just cheese....'

@Amjad bro, I used Pakguns lube and Pakguns grease for my firearms.

jonnyc
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
1. Too much lubrication attracts extra dirt, causing malfunctions.
2. Too much lubrication, especially grease, can slow the action, causing malfunctions.
3. Too much lubrication causes ugly stains on your clothes.
4. Too much lubrication fogs up your glasses.
Some problems are serious, some not so serious.

Amjad Ali
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
@AAH bro
@AK sb
@Amjad sb
@Abbas Sb

Thank you for the feedback :)

:D :lol:
Yes AK sb, I have now mended my ways and am going 'no sauce, just cheese....'

@Amjad bro, I used Pakguns lube and Pakguns grease for my firearms.

is there any special lubricant to use for firearms execept hoppes , brunox & wd 40

Salman_Ahmed
12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
is there any special lubricant to use for firearms execept hoppes , brunox & wd 40

ok noob question coming up.....
WD 40 is used as a Lubricant?

i wans't aware of that , i just thought its meant to be sprayed to protect against rust every two weeks or something, id appreciate any info/ correction in that regard.

jonnyc
12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Hoppes and WD40 are nt really lubricants, they are good for cleaning. You want to find a good light oil for a thin coating of lubrication.

coolbox18
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
@jonnyc bro, thank you for your kind feedback :)

@Amjad sb, brunox, wd40, hoppes solvents/cleaners are NOT lubricants for usage of firearms, however can be used for cleaning and storage protection. For lubrication purposes, please use Pakguns Lubricant oil or grease, or hoppes lubricating oil or any other branded lubricating oil, as mentioned by jonnyc brother.

jonnyc
13-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Some shooters I know have also been happy with synthetic automotive oil.

AK47
13-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Hoppes No.9 lubrication oil the absolutely best. :)

Lately, however, I've started using a special lubrication grease in white color and it proves to be longer lasting than the oils, also no "greasy" gun after fires. :)

Denovo87
13-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Lately, however, I've started using a special lubrication grease in white color and it proves to be longer lasting than the oils, also no "greasy" gun after fires. :)

Yeh thats the optimum standard for a LUBRICANT, during FIRE it should be in place but after you finish with firing THE GUN should look nicely clean n dry ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way Hoppes9 lube oil is great among oils and Brownells grease is the best among greases.

Regarding the question Coolbox bro asked, thats what I do,

(1) after firing n cleaning session: one drop each, in the slide rails + on barrel (spread evenly on it) + Barrel lugs, assemble the gun and rack it for good 5-7 cycles, clean all the DRIP dry... and your gun is ready for next weekend venture :)

(2) periodic thorough cleaning : same as above + a drop on recoil rod n spring, spread evenly with finger + clean all internals including magazines with mildly moisten (with oil) rag and clean the oil off from areas that should be free of lube like feed ramp, lower side of slide that touches bullets during feeding etc.

mhrehman
13-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Yeh thats the optimum standard for a LUBRICANT, during FIRE it should be in place but after you finish with firing THE GUN should look nicely clean n dry ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope that someday I too will understand this MAARFAT talk between you guys :D

zeeshan.pk
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
br coolbox,I m using Singer oil Since last 9 yrs in my weapons,in a proper quantity,just one swab for the whole interior cleaning and Barrel inside,while single drops to each side of pistol slide once after week,and soon after fire,no problem at all, while oil is not very costly

AK47
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
@Den......I really hope then, that the Brownells one that you mention is not black in color! ;) :lol:

White does not show on the weapon, though I know, it's rarely available in white/transparent color. :|

coolbox18
10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Some shooters I know have also been happy with synthetic automotive oil.

I have been reading many good things about mobil oil. Many competition shooters use it. Can you please share with us what could be the reason for dislike of synthetic motor oil?

@Denovo sb, Zeeshan.pk bro, thank you for your feedback.

Abu Al Hawl
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Actually a weapon really require is the good copper solvent! for rust protection one can even use any ordinary lube, even motor oil.

coolbox18
13-11-2010, 11:21 PM
AAH bro
Yes cleaning can mostly be carried out by 'powder' solvent, and 'copper' solvent can be used after every 400-500 rounds (1000 or so rounds for some, even more for others!).
However, the question of lubrication (for firing on range/carry purpose) also desires your attention :)