PDA

View Full Version : multiple questions for 1911 .45ACP users

bazkhan35
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
ASA

I am in love with this model, so want to know few things about it from 1911 users.

Do you CC it? I will be buying it for CC
Why do you prefer .45 over 9mm.
If you CC it how many reloads do you carry.

1911 options under 100K. (karachi,lahore or islamabad doesnt matter can travel any where :) )
Ammo availabililty and prices.
Any Blanks available in market for .45.

I dont like to make many threads so posting all in one.

Regards

AK47
09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
@BazKhan bro...Though I'm a user of .45, still only a prospective would-be owner of the 1911, soon Inshallah. Present owners would know best on your questions, yet let me tell you, I intend to cc it during winters, beneath leather vest/coat/jacket, and can be effectively done so in shoulder holster. For summer the PT145 is my choice. Ammo has never been this common before and reasonably priced these days, still I'd suggest stocking up min 500 rds with purchase, and a round means 60-80 rupees. 1911 by Taurus is an excellent option at 70-75k, Lahore. I prefer .45 for SD, coz it's still the best punch and man-stopper around, delivering just the right amount of energy required for the transfer of a hydrostatic shock whilst not being overly penetrative. Go for it. Regards.

fahadkhalid
10-10-2010, 12:17 AM
@Bazkhan, Firstly goodluck for your future 1911 purchase. 2ndly i really dont think you would be able to cc it in summer clothing, winter clothing tau you can cc a RPG launcher. It is quiet big. In under 100k the best option would taurus pt1911. As for perference of round is concerned its a matter of choice acutally. some people would prefer a 9 mm over .45, some would even prefer .30 over .35, but the .45 can seriously pack a punch like AK47 said. I belive all bullets were designed with the assumption that they would kill something or someone, .45 was designed with an assurance that t certainly would.

Glockcohlic
10-10-2010, 12:51 AM
I will try to summarize and will try keep the answers to your questions as simple as possible.

Why do you prefer .45 over 9MM.

9MM is the one of the most common caliber (now days) in Pak. and the availability of ammo is not a problem and different types of guns and ammo available in the market. 9MM has a reasonable stopping power and properly placed shot neutralize the target. In self defense scenario even better results can be achieved by using Hollow Point (HP) or Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) bullets. 9MM caliber guns are easily available in different sizes i-e. Subcompact, Compact and Standard size.

.45 ACP is also known for its stopping power as the bullet/projectile has wider diameter/bigger mass thus it creates bigger cavity and bigger wound to neutralize the target with less shots or with the single shot neutralizing the target. All this comes on the cast of limited mag capacity and most of the 1911 come in single stack mag with 8 round capacity. Though few new 1911 style guns are available with double stack mags but the price is of the gun is on the higher side. Over all limited options are available in 1911.

Do you CC it? I will be buying it for CC:

1911 standard is of 5" barrel all steel built (Frame/Slide) and the use of CC depends on your height and physic. Some people do like to carry 1911s but not that many. It's good Carry Gun (CG) but CC in our part of the world not that many people CC it. While on the other hand 9MM handguns suits or serve quite well the purpose of CC with higher capacity mags and in very easily cancelable sizes.

If you CC it how many reloads do you carry:

Carry reload/Extra mags is personal preference and need. You have to decide as per your need/threat or easy of CC. In CC normally people prefer one extra mag.

Ammo availability and prices:

9MM:

Availability of 9MM ammo is not a problem. Different brand and origin ammo is easily available but now a days ammo prices fluctuate as per market to market. It is also cheaper than .45 ACP rounds. Normally 9MM rounds are in the price range of Rs. 30 to 80 depending on different brands.

.45 ACP:

Availability of .45 ACP rounds now a days is not a problem but the price is on the higher side and you never know when the market can go out of stock. But as per current market the availability of this round is not a problem. Price range is in between Rs. 60 to 100.

Any Blanks available in market for .45:

I haven't seen the .45 ACP blanks in the market, may be some other members can shed light on this.

1911 options under 100K:

Under 100K if you are lucky you can find the best CC 1911 Colt Commander and in standard size legendary World War II Colt 1911. If searched ITHACA and Remington Rand can also be found in Peshawar/Lahore Market.
Other options 100K in new guns, Taurus 1911 can also be found. Few months back I also saw Chinese 1911 clone under well 100K.

bazkhan35
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Fahadkhalid
AK47
Glockohlic thanx brothers.

So a part from cc in summer its seems a good option, i had one local bretta 92fs last year i carried in summer and i was comfortable with that so i asume its more or less the same size.

Any idea taurus pt 1911 come in what finishes?

Zaheer
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
@Glockcohlic Bro thanks for clearing it for us.Now I will go for 9mm.

bestmagician83
11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
no doubt 1911 looks good but from my point of view that the ammo dose matter for the required weapon. the ammo of .45 is too much expensive 2ndly .45 has very much recoil and not suitalbe dor the seld defence ruther its damaging power os much more the the .38/9mm but .38/9mm is also very good.
well .38/9mm have aslo a great recoil. but i enjoy it.

AK47
11-10-2010, 02:40 AM
@BazKhan bro.... it's about the feeling of the 92, yet slightly larger I think, if only marginally. :)

Apart from the black, I think all SS finish has been available here, both the matte and the more glossier one. Chief's piece is just the most decent:

http://s4.postimage.org/9tYb9.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/j8nd9zz8/)

http://s4.postimage.org/9u79J.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/j8tzfdyc/)

fahadkhalid
11-10-2010, 11:16 AM
no doubt 1911 looks good but from my point of view that the ammo dose matter for the required weapon. the ammo of .45 is too much expensive 2ndly .45 has very much recoil and not suitalbe dor the seld defence ruther its damaging power os much more the the .38/9mm but .38/9mm is also very good.
well .38/9mm have aslo a great recoil. but i enjoy it.

Once you get the hang of it brother, the .45s recoils isnt all that much. Plus in a combat situation, when all the muscles are tensed and senses sharpened, recoil would be the last thing on your mind.

fahadkhalid
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Another below 100k 1911 option is the chinese NP44. I am sure alot of the members will raise eyebrows, but its a solidly bulit combat weapon, but it has a 14 round mag capcity, which makes the grip thicker, but good for people with big hands. Fires almost anything you put in it.

AK47
11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
You're right FahadKhalid bro, if one could compromise on the very low quality finishing standards, for more capacity. :|

A matter of choice, though, yet I wouldn't. Even that one is for around 60K. :)

Dr Zakir
12-10-2010, 12:28 AM
well explained AK 47 and glockholic

Usama
12-10-2010, 02:00 AM
bazkhan35

A slightly used Taurus 1911 is with my friend ss finish , ill ask him what he asking for it if you are interested !

Crazy Shooter
12-10-2010, 03:50 AM
whats the price of taurus pt 1911 these days in SS finish ?

StevenCline
31-12-2010, 07:36 PM
ASA

I am in love with this model, so want to know few things about it from 1911 users.

Do you CC it? I will be buying it for CC.
Why do you prefer .45 over 9mm.
If you CC it how many reloads do you carry.

I CC my 1911 on my right hip, OWB holster with two reloads on the right hip.
Though my 1911s are chambered in .45, I choose .45 more for competition purposes. It also serves well for self-defense. Best for both "my" worlds.

Apalo
31-12-2010, 11:45 PM
nice discussion on 1911 but can some body say some thing about the grip safety of the 1911 and its effect on the CC.

Trigger_happy78
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I think if u want to go for the .45 and want to CC, Stoegar Cougar .45 is the best option under 100k bugget. I don't know if its available in Pakistan

Zaheer
01-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Best in your case will be PT145 from Taurus

Dr Zakir
01-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Until hold with proper grip safety is not disengaged and pistol doesn't fire .it is a good safety mechanism

AK47
01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
whats the price of taurus pt 1911 these days in SS finish ?

Anywhere between 80-90K! Gone up. Karachi prices stand 100-110K!!

Apalo
01-01-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=72
any views about this 1911?

safeershah
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Usama

how much your friend is asking for his 1911 and is it single stack or double

AK47
08-01-2011, 09:37 AM
+1 Glockcohlic bro! Nice summing up, indeed!

As for carrying (CC) the 1911, it's possible to do so for the winter season, beneath a jacket, shoulder holstered.

Also, I found out lately, of a special rig, which distributes the weight load to all over the back, instead of shoulders only! A special make, costing some $70-100, shall look around for it again and post the link.

For summer, it's however unsuitable for CC, mainly due to our national dress up.

Regards.

safeershah
10-01-2011, 09:45 PM
usama , please let me know the price of your friend gun so I can check it in person

cyanide.dipped
25-03-2011, 11:49 PM
My post would probably be coming in a bit late. Let me just address the CC issue.

I think you can conceal carry a 1911 both in winter and summer if you are a big frame guy. I'm 6'2" 246.4 lbs and I carry my 1911 in Uncle Mike's shoulder horizontal holster in winter and a darra made custom belt holster in summer. Also, I would say that our traditional dress (shalwar qamees) aids a lot in doing so for me at least. If you practice well with it, you can conceal and carry it. However, and this is important, you should consider lighter and smaller guns for CC purposes if you are gonna CC a lot especially in summer. The weight of 1911 is simply too much for most of people.

Another CC option would be to carry it in a Kangaroo Carry holster. You can order one from their website I suppose. I had owned one previously and found it very useful. Don't have it anymore though.

One last thing... in my experience, buying a second-hand gun is almost always a bad idea. Try to go for a brand new PT-1911 which is under a 100k price range. You won't be sorry.

My two cs ;)

Dr Zakir
25-03-2011, 11:58 PM
For cc light weight commander in summers

Denovo87
26-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Actually we (most of us in Pakistan) normally don't carry on day in day out basis thus are not comfortable with carrying 1.5 KGs 8.5" x 5.5" x 1.4" peice of metal, a heavy n bulky gun will show through the the way a casual carrier will walk or sit no matter how deep & concealed he is carrying... simply because he himself is so cautious of bulk n weight on him. That's why most of us always look for handier n lighter weapon to carry.
In your case habit of carrying day in day out (plus your build) made it easier for you to carry concealed without being noticed (of course by yourself as well).

And you need to carry at least 8 pcs of 1911 on you ...... to get rid of 40 extra pounds ;)

cyanide.dipped
26-03-2011, 03:06 AM
For cc light weight commander in summers

Man I would kill for a new colt commander xse :) its a sweet piece. A little difficult to handle in rapid firing drills though... but an excellent weapon for cc I agree. Also the colt government model with ivory grips. What a beauty :D

cyanide.dipped
26-03-2011, 03:09 AM
And you need to carry at least 8 pcs of 1911 on you ...... to get rid of 40 extra pounds ;)

Lol mate... witty, very witty :) hahahahahah

cyanide.dipped
31-03-2011, 08:39 AM
nice discussion on 1911 but can some body say some thing about the grip safety of the 1911 and its effect on the CC.

Using a thumb break strap holster with a pt1911 if you are carrying it in condition 1 (cocked and locked) isn't a very good idea IMHO, cuz it often depresses the grip safety. Also, there have been some cases where where the thumb safety has been messed with while sitting by a thumb break strapped holster. That's why they don't make these kinda holsters for 1911s no more. However, if you are carrying in condition 3 or 4, then any kinda holster is fine most of the times.

The conditions:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Denovo87
31-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Nicely explained CD bro, carrying in condition 4 is just like carrying a brick ;)

Dr Zakir
31-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Ha ha ha denovo bahi . Shouldn't the all 1911 threads be combined

Faisji
31-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Nicely explained CD bro, carrying in condition 4 is just like carrying a brick ;)

Thats how i CC it when it's in my safe.:)

cyanide.dipped
31-03-2011, 05:09 PM
^

+1 Denovo bhai... I think the only way you should carry a 1911 is in condition one... mainly 'cuz of its external thumb safety. Pistols like Glocks etc don't have these so this extra step in drawing and presentation is reduced there. In 1911, while presenting, you have to manually remove the thumb safety which is an added step. So if you carry it in any other condition the draw time is increased. The rule of thumb is, you should be able to draw a gun and fire at least two rounds at the center of the mass if you are presented with a threat to successfully defend yourself. ;)