PDA

View Full Version : How do you inspect you firearm?

Conceal Carry
20-03-2009, 01:31 AM
If you love your guns and want to get the best out of them, then you have to have a cursary and detailed inspection routine. How you inspect your gun is a personal preference, but you should have an essential check list especially if you shoot regularly.

I want to share a very simple technique for inspecting your firearm (though you may use the trick on anything). I 've found the trick to be very useful especially for the surface inspection to find traces of rust and looking for cracks in the frame.

Use your digital camera to take high resolution clear close ups of total surface area of your firearm (8~10 pics at most). Now see them on your computer screen. I bet you'll see what you can't see with your naked eyes.

Save these pics and use them as reference the next time you take pics. Comparison with older pics (especially of brand new items) will show the wear and tear to the critical / moving parts and you will be able to take preventive measure before major damage happens.

Pls try this and share your experience.

Daudpota
20-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Wow. Sounds like a really good forensic examination technique. Great idea!

Firepower!
20-03-2009, 10:13 AM
If you start looking that closely, either you will stop using guns or go nuts with a aluminum foil as you hat to protect your thoughts being interfered by aliens.

Connector
20-03-2009, 11:01 AM
If you love your guns and want to get the best out of them, then you have to have a cursary and detailed inspection routine. How you inspect your gun is a personal preference, but you should have an essential check list especially if you shoot regularly.

I want to share a very simple technique for inspecting your firearm (though you may use the trick on anything). I 've found the trick to be very useful especially for the surface inspection to find traces of rust and looking for cracks in the frame.

Use your digital camera to take high resolution clear close ups of total surface area of your firearm (8~10 pics at most). Now see them on your computer screen. I bet you'll see what you can't see with your naked eyes.

Save these pics and use them as reference the next time you take pics. Comparison with older pics (especially of brand new items) will show the wear and tear to the critical / moving parts and you will be able to take preventive measure before major damage happens.

Y not have a Boroscopic inspection after every use?You would probably stop breathing if you could see what you are inhaling.

Irttyza
20-03-2009, 12:35 PM
If you start looking that closely, either you will stop using guns or go nuts with a aluminum foil as you hat to protect your thoughts being interfered by aliens.

very true FP...i noticed a small dent on my Beretta shotgun and havent used it since..but i think firearms are no fun if you cant use them

Balazona
20-03-2009, 02:27 PM
lol.well said.

Abbas
20-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Please do not make fun of the OP, he's actually highlighted an easy technique for all those interested in close inspection of a weapon for defects. This can actually be useful when purchasing/using classic/collectible weapons.

Thanks Conceal Carry.

Connector
20-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Apology to Conceal Carry.

Glocky
20-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Both sides have valid points, i have been guilty of examining weapons to the extremes conceal carry suggested, but others are right as well. If you go to such extremes you'll never enjoy them and might as well keep them locked up for good.

Conceal Carry
22-03-2009, 02:32 AM
No appologies needed. I'm a very broad minded person and respect everyones views/opinions. I accidently discovered it while taking close ups and was surprised to see rust traces on my gun, which otherwise looked in great condition.

Taurus
22-03-2009, 02:59 PM
nice technique

Shahzeb
17-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Wow. Sounds like a really good forensic examination technique. Great idea!

i love forensics!

PUNJTANI5
10-09-2010, 12:16 PM
i am a forensic expert but i use my eyes to site wear and tear and note differences

harry
06-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Sir, you are absolutely right; I myself use the technique when investigating cases (forensic). When I zoom into the photos I always find something new that I had missed/was unable to pick earlier.

RFR
15-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Like the Camera Technique

superkoolguy
17-11-2010, 01:21 AM
I like the IDEA!
what an idea sirJI

shahsaeen
19-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Taking pictures is useful for adjustable sights in air rifles, rifles and handguns. Once you finish zeroing them, take a picture of the sights from every possible angle. Later if they get changed you can look at the picture and adjust them to original state.

HUNTER1
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Idea sounds sound.

HUNTER1
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I will try it.

bbiillaall
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
i will try it tooo
lets see what comes up with my fingers crossed :)

bestmagician83
08-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Great Idea....

hunter468
24-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I like the IDEA!
what an idea sirJI

what an idea sir ji..............Lolz