PDA

View Full Version : Range Session - Taurus PT-809E

Tomahawk
26-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Since i bought my hand gun PT-809E couple of months ago, i did not have a chance to test it on the range till today.
First of all let me tell you that i am an amateur in this field and it was my first ever range session but more range sessions will follow INSHALLAH as i have got the membership of Lahore Rifle Club.
My prime focus in today's session was to check the reliability & durability of my hand gun, though i believe one range session is not sufficient to test the reliability & durability of a hand gun but atleast it can provide you with a fair bit of idea.

Four different types of ammos were tested today.

1. Chinese Red Box 115 grains FMJ Shots Fired = 46
2. POF 2z 124 grains FMJ (LOT 2004) Shots Fired = 8
3. Armscor 124 grains JHP Shots Fired = 1
4. Prvi Partizan 115 grains JHP Shots Fired = 1

Total Shots Fired = 56

There was not a single issue of FTF/FTE with any ammo. I also loaded the magazine to its limit i.e. with 17 bullets and it fired all the bullets flawlessly. I even tried different combination of ammos in the magazine and again to my delight the gun fired without any problem what so ever.
Now let us talk about the accuracy of PT-809E, as i mentioned earlier that my shooting skills are below average so i believe to be fair; the gun's accuracy cannot be judged on my skills as of now, therefore 3 shots were fired by an experienced shooter and he hit two 9s and one 8 (Just to mention that it was shooter's first experience with PT-809E and he liked the gun's accuracy quite a bit).
The shots around 2 and 1 area of the below chart were fired by me.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9724/pic1xm.jpg

assad ahmad nawab
26-09-2010, 06:37 PM
less acurate

Tomahawk
26-09-2010, 06:44 PM
less acurate

Well the gun is quite accurate its just my shooting skills that require improvement.

gun_craze
26-09-2010, 07:22 PM
As I am not an accuracy expert, so I think i should not comment on it :| ...

My question is about the membership... Tomahawk Bro how much u paid for it and what were their current requirements...how much time it takes?

Thanks in anticipation :)

wasifali89
26-09-2010, 09:35 PM
interesting that the shots of the professional were damm good

btw

what was the distance you were shooting from ?
10M?

Tomahawk
26-09-2010, 09:59 PM
interesting that the shots of the professional were damm good

btw

what was the distance you were shooting from ?
10M?

My shooting distance was 15 meters.

Tomahawk
26-09-2010, 10:28 PM
As I am not an accuracy expert, so I think i should not comment on it :| ...

My question is about the membership... Tomahawk Bro how much u paid for it and what were their current requirements...how much time it takes?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Bro, their membership fee is 25k, two pics, NIC copy, verification by MI.
Time period is about 1 ~ 1.5 months.

Dr Zakir
27-09-2010, 12:13 AM
This quite ok as the group is in one place if u a a little higher it will come in center

Asimch
27-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Since i bought my hand gun PT-809E couple of months ago, i did not have a chance to test it on the range till today.
First of all let me tell you that i am an amateur in this field and it was my first ever range session but more range sessions will follow INSHALLAH as i have got the membership of Lahore Rifle Club.
My prime focus in today's session was to check the reliability & durability of my hand gun, though i believe one range session is not sufficient to test the reliability & durability of a hand gun but atleast it can provide you with a fair bit of idea.

Four different types of ammos were tested today.

1. Chinese Red Box 115 grains FMJ Shots Fired = 46
2. POF 2z 124 grains FMJ (LOT 2004) Shots Fired = 8
3. Armscor 124 grains JHP Shots Fired = 1
4. Prvi Partizan 115 grains JHP Shots Fired = 1

Total Shots Fired = 56

There was not a single issue of FTF/FTE with any ammo. I also loaded the magazine to its limit i.e. with 17 bullets and it fired all the bullets flawlessly. I even tried different combination of ammos in the magazine and again to my delight the gun fired without any problem what so ever.
Now let us talk about the accuracy of PT-809E, as i mentioned earlier that my shooting skills are below average so i believe to be fair; the gun's accuracy cannot be judged on my skills as of now, therefore 3 shots were fired by an experienced shooter and he hit two 9s and one 8 (Just to mention that it was shooter's first experience with PT-809E and he liked the gun's accuracy quite a bit).
The shots around 2 and 1 area of the below chart were fired by me.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9724/pic1xm.jpg

nice first report is this good for cc

Vik
27-09-2010, 08:30 AM
TomHawk Bro, nice effort. Thanks for the motivation.
My heart is telling me not combine different ammo in a single mag. Let's see what the experts have to say.
And again keep up the good work.
Oh just remembered, which ever ammo you feel suits your gun the best and you are more accurate with it. Use that only. Dump the rest.

SPAYPANTHER
27-09-2010, 09:04 AM
keep it up good start!!! it can be called as warm up Session

Tomahawk
27-09-2010, 12:06 PM
@Vik
Thanks for the advice bro.

@SPAYPANTHER
Thanks.

gun_craze
27-09-2010, 12:46 PM
@ Tomahawk... Sir thnx for LRC info... :)

mhrehman
27-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Tomahawk bro, nice review, and keep up the practice :)

Tomahawk
29-09-2010, 10:40 AM
@Dr Zakir sb
Thanks for the advice sir.

@mhrehman
Thanks bro.

Starfish
29-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice range session. Do drop by and introduce yourself the next time you are on LRC. look for the guys in pakgun shirts :)

Tomahawk
29-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks, will surely introduce myself.

Mig
29-09-2010, 09:54 PM
most of the shots are going dead

Tomahawk
29-09-2010, 11:11 PM
most of the shots are going dead

I know, reason mentioned in first post.

notorious
29-09-2010, 11:35 PM
@tomhawk, its a very good start and practice will lead you to perfection...

coolbox18
30-09-2010, 02:02 AM
keep up the hardwork bro. you will definitely improve. also share what you think you did wrong, and how do you plan to correct it?
i m also encouraged by your effort to post my target/scores, but they are still very much below par :)

Mani
30-09-2010, 12:05 PM
good start Bro.

9mm
30-09-2010, 12:41 PM
nice !
may i kno frm where n at wat rate u bought
1.POF 2z 124 grains FMJ
2.Armscor 124 grains JHP
3.Prvi Partizan 115 grains JHP

Tomahawk
30-09-2010, 10:48 PM
@notorious, Mani
Thanks.

MIdreesTaj
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
@Tomahawk bro, I just mailed you about changing back straps on 809.
Nice to see you having started your shooting at such a nice place such as LRC. Not everyone has this facility you are lucky.

I would say though do not gaurantee and, just my own opinion of a novice shooter; try to follow below points just to see if they bring any difference.. I see you putting a six inch group from 15M which is not bad as others said if it was not shot that low...

1- At the time when your gun fires, you MUST be able to see your front sight Dot rise and your slide moving back and forth. This is follow through tip.
2- Focus your front sight so hard that the target and 10 ring only appears blurred and you have to take a mere guess as to centre your sights on the target.
3- On a Three Dot sight like yours, make sure all dots are in line and should form a straight line if it passes through all dots.
4- While you press trigger, the whole process where you start pressing trigger and gun firing, should not exceed more than five to six seconds because its important as you are holding your breath - see breathing techniques in shooting over the web.
5- Your gripping hands thumb should fully support the grip of the gun and should be pressing adequately in the creek that is there on the grip side i.e where we are supposed to place our thumb. This would help you to tame your muzzle correctly in a straight line up and down with follow up shots.

Tomahawk
02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks MIdreesTaj bro for the email.
Bro thanks for such nice shooting tips, InshAllah will definitely implement them.

Tomahawk
10-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Today i had another firing session at LRC. As i stated that more range sessions will follow (INSHALLAH) so here is another one.
Ammo used was Chinese Red Box.
Shooting distance = 15 meters.
Below are the results, i will let the target speak itself.
Although the results are better than the first range session, i believe there is still a lot to improve on that.
Comments and suggestions of seniors and fellow members are welcomed.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9733/101020100251.jpg

Regarding the pistol's performance I must say that whatever is not in the black circle is totally my fault, as my shooting skills are only two weeks old.
Finally i would say that the more i shoot with my PT-809E the more i get satisfied with its performance.

iffe
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
nice shooting

MIdreesTaj
11-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Only 5 more trips to LRC Tomahawk bro... dont be shy ok :)

Nice shooting for a new shooter shooting for 2nd time with a new gun... Here I give you my own points which I have learnt from over the internet for last 5 years of surfing which I am tired of now and do no more... :) left no single website or forum or a document which I havnt gone through before.

For the low flyers:
Next time brother try to avoid pushing forward, take a proper stance your body likes to take. The shoulder, the arms and the wrist all naturally pointing to your objective willfully and whole heartedly not PUSHING. The way you confidently pick and grip a cricket bat... grip your pistol in the same way.. avoid artificial gripping or during the shooting grip improvisation pls avoid it.. keep it natural and constant and you will eliminate those low flyers.

For the Righties:
Those in the 5, 4# rings, please check you only sqeeze trigger within 4-5 sec time.. manage this 5 sec bracket of time e.g first 3 seconds in slowly exhaling your filled lung and adjusting sights at the same time, after the 3rd second hold your breath completely and complete the trigger sqeezing process to let the shot break (while your total focus is on the front white dot and the target behind remains badly blurred). Only use the center point of your finger tip vs. 1st joint of finger on the trigger for pressing it straight backwards.

And once again dont forget your natural grip contant in pressure from all angles over the pistol grip.. dont use too much thumb(explicit use of thumb) or extra pressurizing on front strap of your pistol grip.

And again... the biggest factor... follow through... pls ... very very important... can bring any kind of error or give you all sorts of funny point of impacts if you over look it. For that dry fire alot especially an hour before you leave for the range.. it also helps you prepare your mind for the sports. Follow through cut short (you must be able to see your White Dot rise in recoil and keep watching until it comes down to its original place)

All very simple but hard to establish without practice.. See its my 2nd consecutive month without any practice at all. :)

Tomahawk
14-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks a lot MIdreesTaj bro for your kind guidance as always.
I am also concentrating hard to avoid the low flyers; i also noticed that urgency in shooting leads to this problem. I fully agree that one should be calm and natural as much as possible. I observed that for the shots, i gave the due time and tried to remain focus, landed in the black part and the spraying was caused mainly due to urgency in taking a shot.
I will share the further results.

Tomahawk
05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Today i got to test Russian ammo Barnaul 115 grains FMJ with my PT-809E.
Total shots fired 35, no stoppages or jams.
Below is the picture of target at 15 meters.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4139/051220100641.jpg

Vik
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice shooting Tomahawk

Faheem
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Tomahawk brother bery nice effort.

MIdreesTag sir thakyou so much for your nice guidelines .. Definitely it will help a alot to all new commers...

superkoolguy
08-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Good shooting bro

durrani
08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
"This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.” Keep it up Tomahawk

Trigger_happy78
11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice shooting Tomahawk bro. Nicely done.

@MIdreesTaj bro, thanks for a great post. Made lots of thing clear. 1 thing, I've heard that Dry Firing is not good for ur firearm. Is it true?

Avais
11-12-2010, 06:20 PM
2nd session was very good. Brother Keep on and the result will be rewarding.

MIdreesTaj
05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
@MIdreesTaj bro, thanks for a great post. Made lots of thing clear. 1 thing, I've heard that Dry Firing is not good for ur firearm. Is it true?

Dear Trigger_happy78,
I am really not sure about saying whether its safe dry firing on 809 or not.
I have a few reservations on this topic which I would tell you:
- First being on modern pistols most of them i'll say 95% today are safe to dry fire, although Taurus does not explicitly claim on this fact in 809 literature.
- Second thing is technical aspect about it, firing pin IF only hardened on the TIP can/will eventually break on alot of dry firing.

Firing pins are inertial hitters provided with springs which help them to retract once sent forward on hammer strike. If chamber is empty, i.e there is no primer to hit and stop motion of firing pin exerts extra pressure on the shaft of firing pin..something you can understand such as resonance or ringing effect will/can gradually weaken shaft of such firing pins. IF firing pins are equally hardened on the tip and also on shaft all along its structure, then the chances of breaking are very very low.

Enigmatic Desires
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Any idea if the 809's pin is hrdened at the tip only or uniformly?

AK47
12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
@Midreestaj........Excellent explanation.

@ED.....Your queries on above gun show quite a deal of "fatal attraction", bro! I can sense something "cooking on"!

Maximus
12-01-2011, 11:31 PM
@AK
:D

Any idea if the 809's pin is hrdened at the tip only or uniformly?

Good question.....I thought dry firing was a no-no for every gun..hence snap caps

ACHILLES
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Any itch............

Enigmatic Desires
12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
@Midreestaj........Excellent explanation.

@ED.....Your queries on above gun show quite a deal of "fatal attraction", bro! I can sense something "cooking on"!

Me an kagefox have had a fatal attraction for her even before she was conceived.

I have yet to see any handgun with more features in the sub 100k range

AK47
13-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Me an kagefox have had a fatal attraction for her even before she was conceived.

I have yet to see any handgun with more features in the sub 100k range

Don't pass on more "itches" over here, having a tough time curing the on-going fevers already!

The G-2's in your town as well!!!

Enigmatic Desires
13-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Personally after goin through the new taurus catalogue.. I ws not particularly enamoured by em.. Why go for a g2 when u can get hold of a 800...what ever u can put on a handgun they have put in em...
Hammer long with decocker an manual safety.. yups.. adjustable luminous novak sights sure.. firing pin safety naturally different grips for different hands. memory pads super fast rte of fire an to top it off a magazine loader for the high capacity 17 shot mag and a lil key safety as well.
an a picitnny rail to complete the thing all of it in a sturdy plastic box.. an well..

Now u know why I have a nearly incurable itch

AN she comes in both 2 tone an matt an in B an E models as well..

(siiigh)

Trigger_happy78
13-01-2011, 11:24 AM
@ ED bro the 809 is not only feature packed and most good looking handgung ive come across, but also shoots great. The recoil is soft and the gun is very accurate too.

Trigger_happy78
13-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Since i joined PG i have caught a itch too from all the senior members and thats a itch called CZ sp01 phantom. I hope i can cure it soon.

Denovo87
13-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Since i joined PG i have caught a itch too from all the senior members and thats a itch called CZ sp01 phantom. I hope i can cure it soon.

So we will be meeting at nila gumbad on 15th morning? as I also be applying 1911 itch guard there ;)

Enigmatic Desires
13-01-2011, 08:08 PM
@ ED bro the 809 is not only feature packed and most good looking handgung ive come across, but also shoots great. The recoil is soft and the gun is very accurate too.

Which one do U have sir? The E or the B one?

ACHILLES
13-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I Saw 809E today and was nice lookin gun, far better than 24/7.

Enigmatic Desires
13-01-2011, 08:33 PM
If the lemon issue is resolved I believe its the best hand gun round at ANY price range!

Trigger_happy78
13-01-2011, 10:00 PM
@ ED bro. Sir i have 809 E. And it will b great Seeing u at nila gumbat. U can mail me at lwk0333@gmail.com when u get to lhr. And may b v can cure our itch togather.

AK47
13-01-2011, 10:08 PM
If the lemon issue is resolved I believe its the best hand gun round at ANY price range!

The only reason why I'm still not giving it the final nod, otherwise, aesthetically, I've been attracted since day one.

I feel we're missing some expert-member review, midreestaj bro's excellent but singular in-depth review is somehow not convincing enough for final stage considerations. I suggest ED to do us a sincere "favor", lols!

Denovo87
13-01-2011, 10:31 PM
@ ED bro. Sir i have 809 E. And it will b great Seeing u at nila gumbat. U can mail me at lwk0333@gmail.com when u get to lhr. And may b v can cure our itch togather.

Its me you will be meeting at nila gumbad bro not ED, you will have to be in Saddar Karachi to see ED bro ;)

AK47
13-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Its me you will be meeting at nila gumbad bro not ED, you will have to be in Saddar Karachi to see ED bro ;)

Have a nice journey Den, shall call you, when you get the "big guy" in your hands! Lols!

Maximus
13-01-2011, 10:45 PM

As long as someone in being met...:)
I guess its all good

Aquarius
13-01-2011, 11:30 PM
So we will be meeting at nila gumbad on 15th morning? as I also be applying 1911 itch guard there ;)

There is no itch guard ever made for 1911 yet.. the only itch relieving treatment is to get hold of one.. Lolzzzzzz.

Tomahawk
14-01-2011, 10:37 AM
The only reason why I'm still not giving it the final nod, otherwise, aesthetically, I've been attracted since day one.

I feel we're missing some expert-member review, midreestaj bro's excellent but singular in-depth review is somehow not convincing enough for final stage considerations. I suggest ED to do us a sincere "favor", lols!

The only stigma with PT-809 is that it carries Taurus name, other than that i did not see any other draw back. Recoil is not much, accuracy is also pretty good and above all it is not ammo sensitive as i have tested it with variety of ammo both with FMJs and JHPs.

BaderJanjua
14-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Encouraging to have taurus without feeding issue

Enigmatic Desires
14-01-2011, 07:44 PM

(sigh) Sir U remind me of the good old days when i had settled in Lahore last summer. Lahore sure is a fun city to live in.. Best of ll u can actually CC your CC weapon :O

@ AK 47 The 809 is kinda 'big' for me. I prefer something smaller U know more 9mm-ish
If I ever do one of those it will be an 845. A full sized combat weapon with all the fancy doo dahs I ever wanted. While it has just reached my neck of the woods this week. But the sheer volume of lemons the 845 (unlike the 809) has 'supposedly' produced has me a bit scared.

@Trigger happy 78.
Thanks for the invite bro.. Next time I am in Lahore I would definitely drop u a line. (Bad pun un-intended of course!!)

Tomahawk
23-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Gun: PT-809E
Ammo: Barnaul 115 grains FMJ
Distance: 15 meters

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9163/090120110851.jpg

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/7007/230120110941.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/493/230120110981.jpg

ACHILLES
23-01-2011, 07:48 PM
good shootin bro.

s.cheema