Khan_G
22-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Can I use engine oil as gun oil.

A.Abbas
22-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Simply No, use machine oil instead.

Bluff
23-09-2010, 04:58 PM
1 to A abbas ... it can damage the gun bluing .... Khan G Use gun grease if u like . ...

Amjad Ali
23-09-2010, 05:28 PM
if you want to use your gun for long time then use recomended lubricants
and if you don`t have that recomended lubricants then i suggest you to use machine oil but just for emergency

SPAYPANTHER
23-09-2010, 08:15 PM

i am using engine oil and grease from a long time in my weapons! and i am satisfy with it...

Hamid
23-09-2010, 08:28 PM

i am using engine oil and grease from a long time in my weapons! and i am satisfy with it...

Sir, then you must be possessing some tanks;)

Hussain Mirza
23-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Motor oil is designed for lubricating engine parts and has higher viscosity (thick) therefore it cannot penetrate the moving parts inside the automatic weapons. Where as the gun oil is multipurpose; penetrates, cleans, lubricates, and avoids corrosion. One can use motor oil on the stock and outer surfaces only. That too will take dirt and dust.

The best course of action is to use good quality gun oil to prolong the weapon life and maintain its reliability.

SPAYPANTHER
24-09-2010, 10:40 AM
@ hussainmirza

i use engine oil just because of its viscosity and it remain in gun till you donít remove it your self.
while less viscous gun oil will come out from gun and stuck on your Hollister, mean very less oil in gun and more oil out side the gun which is useless.

now if you are wary that it will not penetrate in moving parts, then you should apply it after disassemble your gun.

Another factor is dust and dirt, but that factor is same in engine oil and gun oil

MORE VISCUSS= LESS FRICTION= LONG LIFE OF WEAPON

HammadArshad
24-09-2010, 11:11 AM
@SPAYPANTHER bro, do you remove this oil every time you shoot your weapon or shoot your weapon oiled(With motor oil)?

And as for the moving parts are concerned, please tell me if there are other parts that are to be lubricated as well? as I understand that barrel, frame and other non moving parts do not need lubrication. We normally lubricate just the moving parts.

Thanks and Regards,

Hussain Mirza
24-09-2010, 01:00 PM
@spaypanther

Well lets agree to disagree brother. Even the gun blogs in USA discuss this subject and there are difference of opinons.

My logical (if any) point is that motor oil, machine oil, gun oil, silicon oil etc are formulated for specific purposes. Lubricating property is common among them. I agree that Motor oil will work to lubricate the parts however the residue oil accumuates more dirt and in the long run one needs to use WD- 40 or other cleaning agents. And apart from lubrication, cleaning and anti corrosion properties need to be seen. In airguns/rifles the motor oil plays negative. Try using it and the more viscos oil will reduce the efficiency.

Motor oil used in aircraft, if used in motor cycle will not work. Try using JP1, JP4, super, regular or 100 oct fuel alternatively see the difference. All are petrolium products but with different specifications. They work with poor or sometime enhanced efficiency but will damage the machine you are using if not designed for the particular fuel.

You as an expert disassemble the weapon, clean, relubricate and assemle it again. Most of the people would have to go to gunsmith for the cleaning, misfires and stuck parts.

Off course the gun oil if applied in proper quantity will not spill or overflow.

regards

SPAYPANTHER
24-09-2010, 03:55 PM
@SPAYPANTHER bro, do you remove this oil every time you shoot your weapon or shoot your weapon oiled(With motor oil)?

No I donít remove it, always use much oil in my guns! you can say i dip my guns in oil before fair :P

All moving part include those parts which come in touch with moving parts like barrel, frame etc should oiled

Amjad Ali
24-09-2010, 03:56 PM
and if you don`t have that recomended lubricants then i suggest you to use machine oil but just for emergency

do not use Motor oil for maintanence of guns actually thick MOTOR OIL performe after 30 degree centigrade in engine & it`s harmfull for humen hands to carry the gun above temperature so decide by your self which one is better , if you want`s to clean your gun , motor oil will take a long time to clean the dust but recomended oil will not hyper your self .

SPAYPANTHER
24-09-2010, 04:14 PM
@spaypanther

Well lets agree to disagree brother. Even the gun blogs in USA discuss this subject and there are difference of opinons.

My logical (if any) point is that motor oil, machine oil, gun oil, silicon oil etc are formulated for specific purposes. Lubricating property is common among them. I agree that Motor oil will work to lubricate the parts however the residue oil accumuates more dirt and in the long run one needs to use WD- 40 or other cleaning agents. And apart from lubrication, cleaning and anti corrosion properties need to be seen. In airguns/rifles the motor oil plays negative. Try using it and the more viscos oil will reduce the efficiency.

Motor oil used in aircraft, if used in motor cycle will not work. Try using JP1, JP4, super, regular or 100 oct fuel alternatively see the difference. All are petrolium products but with different specifications. They work with poor or sometime enhanced efficiency but will damage the machine you are using if not designed for the particular fuel.

You as an expert disassemble the weapon, clean, relubricate and assemle it again. Most of the people would have to go to gunsmith for the cleaning, misfires and stuck parts.

Off course the gun oil if applied in proper quantity will not spill or overflow.

regards

Off course a solit logic you put here!!! But thing is that manufecture doesít define that which great oil should use in a particuler gun!!! ( but in case of vhecial it is defined)

Peoples are affraied to use moter oil then what about grease which is much vicous and thick!

coolbox18
24-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Brothers, what grade motor oil are we talking here about? Is it the engine oil (for automotives) or the normal motol oil for use in some water pumps(motor)?

SPAYPANTHER
24-09-2010, 04:27 PM

do not use Motor oil for maintanence of guns actually thick MOTOR OIL performe after 30 degree centigrade in engine & it`s harmfull for humen hands to carry the gun above temperature so decide by your self which one is better , if you want`s to clean your gun , motor oil will take a long time to clean the dust but recomended oil will not hyper your self .

then way you are not against pakguns lubricat, in which motor oil and transmetion oil is used

Faisal Aziz
24-09-2010, 04:49 PM
As per my information gun must be dry while firing specially inside the barrel. U can use oil after cleaning and removing rust from gun and after this u must dry ur gun with some soft cloth. Dont use oil on wooden parts of ur gun in any case because it will reduce life of wood. :)

SPAYPANTHER
24-09-2010, 06:37 PM
U can use oil for cleaning and removing rust from gun and after this u must dry ur gun with some soft cloth.

oil for cleaning???? :o ( very intreasting)

Faisal Aziz
25-09-2010, 12:14 AM
U can use oil for cleaning and removing rust from gun and after this u must dry ur gun with some soft cloth.

oil for cleaning???? :o ( very intreasting)
Oil after............ Sory for writing mistake bro.

Afzaal
25-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I Would never use Mobil Oil to lubricate my Guns .
i don't want to make them muddy .

Preffered Lubricants are best to use in Guns.

Goodluck to them who use it .

Regards.

Amjad Ali
25-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I Would never use Mobil Oil to lubricate my Guns .
i don't want to make them muddy .

Preffered Lubricants are best to use in Guns.

Goodluck to them who use it .

Regards.

+1 afzaal bhai

Amjad Ali
25-09-2010, 12:20 PM

then way you are not against pakguns lubricat, in which motor oil and transmetion oil is used

sir you are using two words motor oil and transmetion oil can you explain the difference about that

we are talking about motor oil which is harmfull for gun what you say

Amjad Ali
25-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Brothers, what grade motor oil are we talking here about? Is it the engine oil (for automotives) or the normal motol oil for use in some water pumps(motor)?

ha ha ha coolbox18 don`t turn this topic to other side about confirmation of oil you know very well what we are talking about ;) :D

Amjad Ali
25-09-2010, 12:40 PM
@spaypanther

regards

Off course a solit logic you put here!!! But thing is that manufecture doesít define that which great oil should use in a particuler gun!!! ( but in case of vhecial it is defined)

Peoples are affraied to use moter oil then what about grease which is much vicous and thick!

to check the quality about define of any motor oil get one drop of oil on your finger tip and rub your finger fast with thumb if your finger feel rubish thats wrong quality & if feel smooth that`s good quality just for your motor lubrication otherwise do what you want to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glocky
25-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I've tried motor oil on guns after reading about its use on US gun forums. I found the viscosity to be quite thick for gun use. Made the action kindof sluggish YMMV. In a pinch though i see no harm in using motor oil if thats all you have at your disposal.

I would prefer Hoppes and Remington gun oil.

fahadkhalid
25-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Soak up the the metal moving parts of weapon with machine oil after cleaning them, use WD 40 or equivilent to displace the oil, cleaning the parts thoroughly, then use a good lubricator and packup the weapon.

Afzaal
25-09-2010, 08:44 PM
i have been using 2 brands since im into guns.
Those are
WD40 & hoppes

For cleaning after hunts WD40 and after that hoppes.
and im satisfied with them since last 15 yrs.
I Wont give try to anything new
Coz theres no reason.
(Tuk hi nahi banti)
Since im yes im satisfied.

Khan_G
25-09-2010, 08:52 PM
After a nice discussion, I have finally decided that i will not use engine oil (Mobil Oil). I will use hoppes, Beretta & Remington oil. Thanks all of You.

coolbox18
25-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Really would have loved 12guage's input here...

Amjad sb, seriously i didnt know so i asked, but what i do know is that mobil oil is used in IPSC matches to lube weapons, and that Ed's Red is based on Auto transmission oil (it works better than most if not all commercial lubes) and by my first hand experience, Pakguns lube n grease are both much better than all of above.

@Fahad Khalid bro, what 'lubrication' agent do you use for your firearms?

Amjad Ali
25-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Soak up the the metal moving parts of weapon with machine oil after cleaning them, use WD 40 or equivilent to displace the oil, cleaning the parts thoroughly, then use a good lubricator and packup the weapon.

thanks for your suggetions i am so so agree with you

gun_craze
26-09-2010, 12:02 AM
after reading the whole thread... i want to ask some questions...
1- wat is a proper way to cleans & lube(oil) ur gun as I never used any branded lube/oil, I only use ordinary gun oil (which I believe infect a machine oil just has a gun pic on the bottle :) )...

as being a quiet learner :) here at PG i want to share one thing with my senior members...even after firing more than 2K rounds whenever i want to clean/lube my gun i just dissemble my gun dip in the said oil :| and uses some brushing & then cleans the oil...and then again dip my cute gun in the oil :D... thats all about cleaning and oiling of my guns...

members please advise/suggest any better oil/cleaning agent and method for guns maintenance ....

coolbox18
26-09-2010, 12:37 AM
for general cleaning, use a CLP (clean, lubricate, protect) product like Brunox. spray it generously on the areas that need cleaning. For barrel (inner bore part), hoppes copper solvent is good, but brunox is sufficient. using a proper cleaning kit like Otis will be beneficial.

For lubrication, normal gun oils, even branded, are primitive miniral oil technology compared to synthetic oils of today. please search Pakguns lubricant in our forum for further details
:)

gun_craze
26-09-2010, 12:58 AM
thanks Sir for such a prompt really :)

any info about the prices of above mentioned items would be very helpful for me... :)

coolbox18
26-09-2010, 02:41 AM
brunox spray large rs600 from buksh elahi
otis multi purpose cleaning kit rs2300-2500 from nila gunbad
for lube, pls search forum for pakguns lubricant. if you make it once, cost would be rs3000 or less for a total of 4.5 ltrs of oil, which would be sufficient for yrs!
or simply use fully synthetic engine oil, one litre bottle is abt 1000rs.
my pleasure brother :)

gun_craze
26-09-2010, 04:43 PM
@ Coolboxs18... thank u Bro :)