PDA

View Full Version : Bore Snake vs Traditional Cleaning

alinawaz
28-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I want to know since the availability of Hoppes Bore Snake in pakistan i've stopped using brushes and patches to clean the barrel of my weapons. What method do our pakguns members prefer?

A.Abbas
28-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Bore Snake or cleaning floss, what ever you name it, is years old traditional and very effective method to clean all long barrel guns some modern touches have been added has also been used to clean handguns. You shouldn't be using brushes especially metal ones unless you find some metal residue (due to poor quality or lead slugs) hard to remove.

Apalo
28-08-2010, 11:48 PM
can some one please explain this Bore snake thing ?

alinawaz
28-08-2010, 11:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFrrTz9smw

A.Abbas
28-08-2010, 11:51 PM
In addition to above, some companies advertise kind of solvent to remove the metal residue, try not to go for these and if you used these, thoroughly clean the barrel with oil and cotton and leave the barrel well lubricated for some time.

alinawaz
28-08-2010, 11:54 PM
In addition to above, some companies advertise kind of solvent to remove the metal residue, try not to go for these and if you used these, thoroughly clean the barrel with oil and cotton and leave the barrel well lubricated for some time.

Why do you say solvents to remove metal residue shouldn't be used?

A.Abbas
28-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Very simple, a soft nylon rope and a cotton rag, put some oil on it and pull trough the barrel several times (until it comes out clean).
Job done. :)

A.Abbas
28-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Why do you say solvents to remove metal residue shouldn't be used?

Because these solvents use chemicals, long term use of these chemical can damage barrels riffling and polish as well, resulting inaccuracy and permanent damage.

Apalo
29-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Because these solvents use chemicals, long term use of these chemical can damage barrels riffling and polish as well, resulting inaccuracy and permanent damage.
some one was quoting me with the reference of Sir Skeeter that hope is the best thing to use for cleaning and i think hope is also a chemical. I also want to know your views about WD40 as it is very in now a days.
Ali Nawaz and A.Abbas thank you for answering my query. :)

A.Abbas
29-08-2010, 12:44 AM
hoppes bore snake is ok but the chemicals, I won't suggest unless it is utterly necessary.
Simply use WD40, or machine oil or machine oil+kerosene.

AK47
29-08-2010, 01:01 AM
The OTIS is said to be one of the best cleaning systems for breech to muzzle cleaning with patches and brushes, I believe its kind of boresnake cleaning, just more advanced, with better accessories. As for solvents, I believe they should be used after more extensive shooting sessions, otherwise a simple 3 way item like Brunox, which cleans, lubricates and rust protects, is enough. The WD40 is a bit too greasy, I feel, I'd stick to Brunox, and after several sessions, swab a few times with Hoppes copper solvent, and end with a few swabs of Brunox. For lubricating moving parts, best is Hoppes oil again. Best thing with boresnake or OTIS vs traditional cleaning is that you clean in the direction of the rifling, out of the muzzle, and dirt/solvent with dirt does not move from the barrel towards the receiver side or firing pin area, as it would, when cleaning traditionally from barrel end/muzzle and inwards.

Mitho
29-08-2010, 01:21 AM
are hoppes bore snakes available in karachi?

A.Abbas
29-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Cleaning and lubrication is essential for guns that is for sure, how you clean and with what, is up to the person how one feel comfortable and satisfied.
Again, I am not in favor of using copper solvent frequently, as a chemical, it dissolves the metal, softer metals i.e. copper and coper alloys, quickly and harder metals in long term and frequent use.
Secondly the very very thin layer of copper alloy inside the barrel serve two purpose,
1- it highly polishes the barrel inside
2- this thin layer keeps the barrel inside protected from rust due to powder burns in the long term.

But it doesn't mean that if you see a copper chip melted and stuck inside the barrel, you shouldn't clean it.

As much as I know about the WD40 , it is highly penetrateable and having an antirust agent in it. It leaves thin layer of lubricant (even if you clean it dry and feel dry) on the surface which act as protecting agent against moisture.

But again if you feel comfortable with some other lubricant, is up to you.

Bottom line is you have to keep your weapon clean and well lubricated.

A.Abbas
29-08-2010, 01:45 AM
are hoppes bore snakes available in karachi?

Bro, you can make your own snake.

Hamid
29-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Bore snake is simply a pull through (phultro) string. As friends have mentioned above that it can me made at home.

Hamid
29-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Here is bore snake's picture
http://www.snakerun.com/bore%20snake.jpg

Apalo
30-08-2010, 12:20 AM
one more question members
what if a bore snake is dirty after some use, specially the " first floss area" as mention above, or any thing like this ?
how one should make it clean ?

A.Abbas
30-08-2010, 01:03 AM
one more question members
what if a bore snake is dirty after some use, specially the " first floss area" as mention above, or any thing like this ?
how one should make it clean ?

Just wash it.

Junaid86
30-08-2010, 02:38 AM
i was just wondering, should bore snade be pulled with choke installed or removed? What's the expert recommendation regarding that

Hamid
30-08-2010, 03:08 AM
With the choke installed. If you have tightly screwed the choke, its threads won't get dirty.

PUNJTANI5
13-09-2010, 06:52 PM
a good quality bore snake made of wire is available with the gun shops for as low as 100/-
the nylon bore snake is as low as 30/-

i use nylon brush to clean the barel and the whole gun and then use the snake to actually slightly clean and dry the inner of the barrel

the nylon brush is attached to a drill machine and then i use ample and generous sprinkle of oil+petrol+diesel mixture through a plastic oil can which makes a dhar while churning the machine and taking out the dirt and grim from the gun and its barrel and so even hard to reach places are clean thoroughly and in minutes

Jillanik
19-09-2010, 10:19 PM
The biggest advantage is that one can carry bore snakes during extended hunting trips.

adnanpic2000
23-11-2010, 11:19 PM
You can use home made snake with AZZER-BAN (NARA, Qamarband etc) use 4 or 5 togather with Knots. You can make for a specified barrel or gun.

JawadKhanJadoon
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
You can use home made snake with AZZER-BAN (NARA, Qamarband etc) use 4 or 5 togather with Knots. You can make for a specified barrel or gun.

I love it!

SPAYPANTHER
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I love it!

lolz ISHQ HOTA NAHE HAR KISI K LIYA... YA BANA HA KISI KISI K LIYA!!!

JawadKhanJadoon
08-02-2011, 02:37 PM
lolz ISHQ HOTA NAHE HAR KISI K LIYA... YA BANA HA KISI KISI K LIYA!!!

haahaahaahahaha well said sir

Engineeer
15-02-2011, 03:18 PM
very very informative thread for our new members...........i have always used normal pull through available in market.........its working but one has 2b very very watchful of all guns cleaning all time.........