PDA

View Full Version : Blaser R8

Shano Shah
27-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Detachable Rifle Barrels in Bolt Action is something, which never appealed me. Still heard so much from my fellow hunters regarding Blaser R8, I thought I should look into it.

I saw few videos and read few gun reviews in favor of Blaser R8. Very accurate, fast straight pull action, detachable Barrels, magazine release tabs and so onÖÖÖ. I must say with its outlook itís a beauty.

Going through videos and reviews in gun magazines I noticed that the detachable magazine and trigger is one peace. I personally think this feature is a big disadvantage.

For argument one can say Safety advantage at home from the kids or strict gun laws in Germany on the other hand itís a possibility of losing a vital and expensive part of the rifle. This means that one cannot remove the magazine alone for easy reloading as company claims. If one loses the magazine, trigger will go with it as well.

Even conventional rifles with detachable magazines with past experiences has improved the mechanism by adding a safety catch between trigger guard and magazine, so if by chance the magazine lock is disengaged it remain attached with the rifle.

The worst part in R8 is without a magazine NO TRIGGE TO PULL. One can't even use it as single shot in case of emergency as one can do in conventional rifles with detachable magazines.

When magazine is removed, the R8 automatically de-cocks the cocking slide cannot engage anymore even a cartridge still in the chamber. Itís bad enough to dropping a cartridge in the chamber out in the field, back of the jeep etc. Just imagine magazine in the mud along with the trigger as well.

Its look like in R8 changing magazine process is slower than conventional magazine. One has to remove the plastic cover on the spare insert; also the empty /used insert has to be removed from the magazine. After changing them one has to put the cover on the used insert.

Its look like a slightly high pressure in a Factory load round can cause case extraction problem due to straight pull. Not good for reloaded ammo because Re-loaders want optimum efficiency from their cartridges.

Only time can tell if R8 can match the reliability and durability of conventional bolt action, quite a few are Nearly 100 years old and still going strong withstanding all short of punishments of wars, hunting, reloading etc.

In my opinion one who desire to buy R8 as a general purpose rifle should be mentally prepared to buy replacement at exorbitant prices.

My observation are based on videos and reviews, I have not handled R8 personally. Members who has used or own R8 may disagree with me.

Libra
01-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Shah Sb,I could not agree more with you about your remarks on Blaser (pronounced Blou- ser). I however would add one more thing about R8 that one has to mount a scope for every barrel as scope is mounted on barrel and not on the receiver,which in turn would cost more bucks and require more time to get started with that barrel.

I however would appreciate the idea of Modular design i.e. interchangeable caliber repeating rifles. This idea however was initially introduced half a century ago by TC-Thompson/Center when they produced their single shot break open multi caliber guns. Although to the vast majority of hunters, a single shot is still, well, just a single shot.

Blaser is not the only modular rifle manufacturers. I have recently read a review on another rifle made by Sauer and it was their model 202 and I quote " Key elements of the Sauer 202 combine a quick-change barrel system, a short, 60-degree bolt throw, an ingenious silent safety and a DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE".

So I guess Sauer gets more points as far as SAFETY and MAGAZINE detachment is concerned plus one more point to Sauer for its verstality with one scope.

I have not yet used either of above two rifles and whatever I have written is based on my readings.

Regards.

someone_001
01-09-2010, 03:09 AM
R3 or R8 both are exceptional rifles, equally expensive but when it will come to reliability i believe r3 is ahead. Scope mounts are another headache not that easily available here and cost 150 USD+. My opinion as thoughts came to mind that i dont want that magazine dropped off on dangerous game.

On the other hand accuracy is unbelievable. It changed all the minds of gunsmiths who believed in glass-bedding and pillar bedding in other bolt action rifles.

Thoughts, if i get 1 inch groups at 100 yards with any other rifle why should i pay more :)
seen the rifle ///,... compact and very effective on quick mount.

Arslan_tareen
01-09-2010, 09:43 AM
R3 or R8 both are exceptional rifles, equally expensive but when it will come to reliability i believe r3 is ahead. Scope mounts are another headache not that easily available here and cost 150 USD+. My opinion as thoughts came to mind that i dont want that magazine dropped off on dangerous game.

On the other hand accuracy is unbelievable. It changed all the minds of gunsmiths who believed in glass-bedding and pillar bedding in other bolt action rifles.

Thoughts, if i get 1 inch groups at 100 yards with any other rifle why should i pay more :)
sir do you mean blaser R93 ? never heard of blaser R3 nor seen any at the shooting range ! though i do agree with many points which shano bro made but i would add , that one who own a Blazer R8 will rarely lose such a important part of that gun and second i seriously doubt that any Blazer R8 owner will ever be in need to use a single shot in case of emergency they would probably have another weapon for that . the logic is right here but the reason dictates other wise ,
and as of you last point .. a Toyota will take one any where in the world , then why should one own a Mercedes ?

Arslan_tareen
01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Detachable Rifle Barrels in Bolt Action is something, which never appealed me. Still heard so much from my fellow hunters regarding Blaser R8, I thought I should look into it.

I saw few videos and read few gun reviews in favor of Blaser R8. Very accurate, fast straight pull action, detachable Barrels, magazine release tabs and so onÖÖÖ. I must say with its outlook itís a beauty.

Going through videos and reviews in gun magazines I noticed that the detachable magazine and trigger is one peace. I personally think this feature is a big disadvantage.

For argument one can say Safety advantage at home from the kids or strict gun laws in Germany on the other hand itís a possibility of losing a vital and expensive part of the rifle. This means that one cannot remove the magazine alone for easy reloading as company claims. If one loses the magazine, trigger will go with it as well.

Even conventional rifles with detachable magazines with past experiences has improved the mechanism by adding a safety catch between trigger guard and magazine, so if by chance the magazine lock is disengaged it remain attached with the rifle.

The worst part in R8 is without a magazine NO TRIGGE TO PULL. One can't even use it as single shot in case of emergency as one can do in conventional rifles with detachable magazines.

When magazine is removed, the R8 automatically de-cocks the cocking slide cannot engage anymore even a cartridge still in the chamber. Itís bad enough to dropping a cartridge in the chamber out in the field, back of the jeep etc. Just imagine magazine in the mud along with the trigger as well.

Its look like in R8 changing magazine process is slower than conventional magazine. One has to remove the plastic cover on the spare insert; also the empty /used insert has to be removed from the magazine. After changing them one has to put the cover on the used insert.

Its look like a slightly high pressure in a Factory load round can cause case extraction problem due to straight pull. Not good for reloaded ammo because Re-loaders want optimum efficiency from their cartridges.

Only time can tell if R8 can match the reliability and durability of conventional bolt action, quite a few are Nearly 100 years old and still going strong withstanding all short of punishments of wars, hunting, reloading etc.

In my opinion one who desire to buy R8 as a general purpose rifle should be mentally prepared to buy replacement at exorbitant prices.

My observation are based on videos and reviews, I have not handled R8 personally. Members who has used or own R8 may disagree with me.
brother i have not fired a R8 but have once tried a R93 and a close friend of mine owns a R8 ..all i would say is i totaly agree with what you said , but once you have fired these beauties , these observations wont even cross your mind for a second .
though i must say , you have a eye of a eagle , very informative post .

300 Win
01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I just saw the rifle,Mounted ,loaded and fell in love with R8 .
It is incridible but very expensive and out of my budget.
It is a beauty.Saddle type mounts for scope is also a unique idea
I do not think there are many in pakistan .I heard about 2 only.

Dr Zakir
01-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Great rifle but very expensive

ACHILLES
01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah anything which is nice might be expensive.

someone_001
02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1083tKXjpSc&feature=related

Please see the testing done on rifles and possible scenarios.

someone_001
02-09-2010, 02:03 AM

sir do you mean blaser R93 ? never heard of blaser R3 nor seen any at the shooting range ! though i do agree with many points which shano bro made but i would add , that one who own a Blazer R8 will rarely lose such a important part of that gun and second i seriously doubt that any Blazer R8 owner will ever be in need to use a single shot in case of emergency they would probably have another weapon for that . the logic is right here but the reason dictates other wise ,
and as of you last point .. a Toyota will take one any where in the world , then why should one own a Mercedes ?

Would you bother to take your Mercedes to let say for off-roading to some hill-station. Unfortunately here in Pakistan we work out with available options in hand. And when ever there is possibility we take coure, alto, etc in the field

Shano Shah
02-09-2010, 03:44 AM
There are lot other actions, I am comparing R8 straight pull with turn bolt action. In my opinion the R8 straight pull action is the fastest form of bolt action but lacks other important features.

R8 is nearly more than double in price in America. I was just trying to figure out the efficiency of R8 in comparison with bolt-action rifle, to see if there is any real advantage or if itís just a beauty.

As a friend has written it a beauty and a Merc, Like another friend mentioned there are only 2 in Pakistan. I agree and I have written in my post itís a beauty. In the End all comes to personal satisfaction. Any way if I have to go off road, ill opt for a reliable Jeep than a luxury car.

Murphyís Law reads: "If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it."

Any thing that can go wrong will go wrong. I will go for turn bolt.

Straight pull rifles is not something new they are around since 1884. Steyr- mannlicher M1895, Ross and few others, such rifles never been popular during wars because they sacrifice too many qualities of the turn bolt e.g. camming action on extraction, controlled feed and extraction, Simplicity of design, field cleaning without tools, most reliable type of repeating rifle, stronger than any other type.

In any weapon Reliability in all aspects is very import. For example Africa is one place where one needs two different calibers for planes and dangerous games. Ill personally prefer taking two rifles than two barrels.

I think R8 reloads slightly fast as compared with a lever or slide action, and slower if compared with an automatic rifles. All three actions are seldom recommended for use on dangerous game due to reliability, especially in adverse conditions,

PH uses Doubles or Mauser type bolt actions rifles. I donít see a PH on Dangerous game will ever use R8.

I heard R8 is worth $$$$$$$ here in Pakistan. If I have to spend this sort of money ill go for a double.

300 Win
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
simple question have anyone used R8 or you checked it or handled it .It is out of my budget but i handled it.I do not think in this fourm anyone used it.How can the expert openion given without using even handling.Yes it is expensive but if soneone cannot afford to bye rols royce this does not mean tha rols royce is bad same case with this exellent gun.It is out of reach f so grapes are sour

ACHILLES
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
simple question have anyone used R8 or you checked it or handled it .It is out of my budget but i handled it.I do not think in this fourm anyone used it.How can the expert openion given without using even handling.Yes it is expensive but if soneone cannot afford to bye rols royce this does not mean tha rols royce is bad same case with this exellent gun.It is out of reach f so grapes are sour

i think you have a point there. Well shano mian has to give answer.

Arslan_tareen
02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
i have not tested R8 yet but have tested its older and much trusted brother R93 , will be doing testing on R8 on next visit to the range . that was the answer of your question , now i do agree with your point as i have made the same one but i disagree with the way you made it ,to make a argument one should not dish the others person point of view but rather give a constructive reason . Shano bro only pointed out some of the "problems" that can occur with that unique or should i say Unusual or "grey" system , every thing will have problems so has rolls royce .. but as i said R 93 was my cup of tea because i use a gun in certain care and action so it went well with me and those things pointed out by Shano bro didnt even cross my mind . plus for a difficult scenarios i will have my trusted ZKK 600 with me rather then R8 (if i ever get to own one) .

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 01:38 AM

Last lines of my 1st post.

Dear 300 Win,

For you itís a RR, fine. We are not talking about affordability. We exchange views and trying to figure out pros and cons. The model in question is around $3300/ USD. Recently a friend has bought R8 in Canada, and he will bring it to Pakistan. We all know due to restriction on rifles imports, prices has gone up.

The amount these rifles were sold is not that huge that people on this forum cant afford. Simply itís not worth it. I know quite a few friends on this forum owns much more expensive weapons than R8 and I am certain, there be lot more (members).

Please note Manufactures pay media to write reviews in the favor of their products.

So as you have mentioned, you handled it and probably have fired few rounds.I hope the results of your research will enlighten this forum. Please write your experience.

I have written my OBSERVATIONS, convince me with argument and prove me wrong

300 Win wrote:

It is out of reach f so grapes are sour

By the way I am just a poor guy-trying make my ends meet. :(

ACHILLES
03-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Shano mian nice. are you still reloading ammo for ur rifle?

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Dear Achilles,

Given up long time ago due to non availibility of components.

ACHILLES
03-09-2010, 02:04 AM
i c. how about shooting with camera ;) did u gave up that too.

someone_001
03-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Dear Achilles,

Given up long time ago due to non availibility of components.

@
Have you tried reloading from 2 out of one bullet, I guess it would be more expensive. Please share you ideas of reloading methods too

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:24 AM
i c. how about shooting with camera ;) did u gave up that too.

some times when I get the job :rolleyes:

ACHILLES
03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
so i hope that you get components for the job. so as both reloadin and camera starts. :)

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Dear someone,

Please never try to reload without proper knowledge. I can only say Your idea is Suicidal :mad:

someone_001
03-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Dear someone,

Please never try to reload without proper knowledge. I can only say Your idea is Suicidal :mad:

Wouldn't it be suicidal if you have the reloading tool and knowing the exact load you are after.

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:42 AM
thanks, I could not figure it out, who are you :) omer, asif , amjed, Doc ???

ACHILLES
03-09-2010, 02:44 AM
thanks, I could not figure it out, who are you :) omer, asif , amjed ???

No way you can guess who i am. Just meet you once. But i remember you. I was with Col. sb.

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Dear 001

What can I say

Shano Shah
03-09-2010, 02:53 AM
OK :lol:

wasifali89
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
a new info for me