PDA

View Full Version : Colt Blued Finish Storage

shahsaeen
17-08-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a 1979 colt detective special in .38spl. It is in royal blue finish. I was reading the colt manual and it says NOT to store revolver in airtight container as it will cause it to rust. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO THIS? How do you store yours?

MianTaimur
17-08-2010, 03:29 PM
@shahsaeen

It is recommended to keep silica gel packs , where you store your weapons ! The silica packs are used to absorb moisture in the air, which causes the weapons to rust.

As for the instructions , you mentioned, " Not to store your weapon in an air tight container". In my opinion, it is better to store your weapons , if possible in air tight containers along with silica packs.

If I am not correct, I would request , more experienced members to add their comments !

Rasal.Saleh
17-08-2010, 05:10 PM
IMHO Taimoor Bhai is right weapons should be stored in airtight containers with activated sillica gel pouches also lubricated more than normal if the storage intent is for a longer time..

Regards

12GAUGE
17-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a 1979 colt detective special in .38spl. It is in royal blue finish. I was reading the colt manual and it says NOT to store revolver in airtight container as it will cause it to rust. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO THIS? How do you store yours?

AoA

the manufacturer recommending that blued weapons should not be stored in air tight containers is right. what happens is that you run serious risk of locking moisture inside that air tight container as well which will eventually migrate to metal surfaces cause them to rust.

If u'r gonna air tight a firearm, the best way to ensure a rust free environment is that you store something to take care of that moisture too. Silica gel is a good solution. make sure to store plenty of it (activated).

another but slightly technical solution would be to vacuum seal it in a thick plastic bag. no air, no moisture, no rust. you can also throw in a couple of Silica gel pouches just to be double sure.

another solution would be to throw in a couple of VCI tablets. these is new age stuff. these invisible vapors act just like a lubricant film and cover the metal parts inside out, completely protecting the metal from any sort of rusting or discoloration. no need of vacuum sealing with this technology. you can use any air tight container.

as far as lubing the firearm for extended period is concerned, i'm not a 100% on it. cause lubricants are generally bad for painted finishes and plastics (long term effects). besides, too much lubrication would necessitate a thorough cleaning at the end of the extended storage period. essentially rendering the weapon useless in the event of an emergency.

the best and easiet in my view would be to order a couple of VCI rust tabs from brownells or any Internet site and throw them in there with the firearm in an air tight container.

VCI plastic bag is also a good option. just put the firearm in a VCI bag and forget it. the bag's material is made from such a material that gives off VCI vapors.

I hope it helps.

Regards.

Gilani
17-08-2010, 11:44 PM
@12guage
As always, a very solid input :)

AK47
18-08-2010, 01:17 AM
@12 gauge.............Thanks for a detailed input. Kindly let me know from where in Isb/Rwp can the silica gel/packs be availed in abundance? Was due to ask you this since long. :)

shahsaeen
18-08-2010, 05:41 AM
To be precise the manual said that storage in an airtight container would rust the INTERNAL PARTS of the revolver. I looked at the other revolver manuals on the internet and they said the same thing.

I looked into the gun vaults and storage cabinets, the high end ones had provision for air flow in the cabinet.

What i deduce is that inspect your weapon each month and if all is well you can increase time period, dont store in airtight container as it can be risky, when you have time to burn lightly oil it.

I have just finished oiling it with break free clp. I have heard good things about it on internet. I shall observe its effects each month.

What are your views on brunox turbo spray, hoppes 9 lubricating oil and perfects gun oil from belgium, in terms of rust prevention? What do you use?

12GAUGE
18-08-2010, 02:08 PM
@12 gauge.............Thanks for a detailed input. Kindly let me know from where in Isb/Rwp can the silica gel/packs be availed in abundance? Was due to ask you this since long. :)

You are welcome Sir Jee. Silica gel pouches are readily available at chemistry/scientific stores in Saddar Bazar Rawalpindi. going rate is something like 5 rupee per 3-5 gram pouch.

Regards.

Denovo87
18-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks brother 12guage, can you please confirm/explain what exactly ACTIVATED Silica gel is ?

and obviously what deactivated would be?

and which one we can use to dehumidify the gun cabinet/box environment ?

12GAUGE
18-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks brother 12guage, can you please confirm/explain what exactly ACTIVATED Silica gel is ?

and obviously what deactivated would be?

and which one we can use to dehumidify the gun cabinet/box environment ?

Sir by activated I meant they should be heated in an oven or a microwave before putting them along with your firearm for extended duration storage. the whole purpose of using silica gel is that they absorb humidity from the storage space. heating the silica gel activates them by making them release pre-absorbed moisture.

as far as dehumidifying is concerned, let nature take its course. enclose your firearm in spaces that experience plenty of circulating air and moisture will never collect. if enclosing in sealed spaces is required then I would recommend using some sort of heating source to warm the air inside. by warming the air inside the space, moisture will never be an issue. there is such a device available, its called golden rod. however any bulb (constantly on) is good enough as long as it generates heat so no energy saving bulbs as they do not emit heat.

kindly do take the following into consideration:

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun-care/moistureguard/moistureguard-gun-plugs.aspx

Regards.

Denovo87
18-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks 12guage bro, so by activated silica gel means silica gel which has been cleaned of moisture already settled in, thanks again.

12GAUGE
19-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks 12guage bro, so by activated silica gel means silica gel which has been cleaned of moisture already settled in, thanks again.

exactly! you can search for ways to activate the silica gel pouches on the Internet. its quiet easy.

Regards.

AK47
19-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks 12 Gauge bro, will be visiting W.Wilson/D. Watson, etc, soon, I believe then that they should have this. :)

Also thanks for the "activation" procedure, yet open your "cookbook" a page further and let us know the heating, timing details also, just in case we "over" heat it! :lol: