PDA

View Full Version : OM, PX & OX Gun OILs

Sparticas
23-07-2010, 12:19 PM
After reading a lot about Cleaning, lubricating and preserving the guns (specially 12 gauges wonder lube) on this forum, I decided to do some research on how different armies in the world clean, lubricate and preserve their guns (specially small arms) which are used or supposed to be used more then ours. I have found out that there are different types of OILS used for this purpose and most of the countries including ours use the NATO standard OILS, they are many but most commonly used ones are:-

1. OM 13 Nato code O-134
2. OM 15 Nato code H-515
3. PX 4
4. PX 11 Nato code C-628
5. OX 18 Nato code O-190

Sparticas
23-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Now let me define what OM, PX and OX stands for.
OM (Oil, Mineral) A plain mineral oil or one containing additives intended to improve its behaviour, without radically altering properties.
OM-13 specification is DEF STAN 91-44/1. Light mineral oil with 0.05 0.10 % stearic acid. Gun mounting recoil system, shock absorbers of vehicles with oil resistant synthetic rubber glands, hydraulic couplings, air compressors at low temperatures, clocks, fire-control instruments, aircraft armaments, submarine torpedo tube fittings, cinema projectors, visor pumps Mk 2 Humber Pigs.
OM-15 specification is DEF STAN 91-48/1. Hydraulic fluid, petroleum, super clean. Light mineral oil with oxidation inhibitor. Hydraulic mechanisms in aircraft equipment, machine guns, liquid springs in certain artillery equipment, Temp range -54C to +90C (pressurized systems), -54C to +135C (pressurized system). Colour - red.

PX (Protective, Miscellaneous) A material which can easily be removed to provide protection against corrosion of metal equipment in storage.
PX-4 specification is DEF STAN 80-34/. It is Corrosion preventive compound. Oil film type for unexposed internal surfaces where a solid film could not be deposited or removed. Lubrication & preservation of machine guns, small-arms from -18C upwards. Preservation of engine components, small mechanisms, instruments, certain ammunition & fuse parts, steel & aluminum sheets.
PX-11 specification is DEF-2334. It is 9 parts PX-6(Stiff, rather tacky petrolatum. Brushed or smeared on for preservation of various ordnance stores & torpedoes) & 1 part beeswax. Corrosion prevention, soft film, hot application. Long term preservation of MT, artillery & small-arms sub assemblies.
OX (Oil, Miscellaneous) A synthetic oil containing modifying additives.
OX-18 specification is CS 3118. It is for Lubrication & preservation of machine guns & small-arms at temp range -40C to +52C

Sparticas
23-07-2010, 12:25 PM
The purpose of writing all this here is to educate my self (as i don't av any idea about Oils and there qualities) and my fellow members by getting an expert opinion about these oils from our very expert members like 12 Gauge and others, and finding out weather we can get it in the market and how much useful are these for us.

Regards,

Taurus
23-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Very Nice Info Sparticas

ADNAN CHAND
23-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice info.

Sparticas
23-07-2010, 02:05 PM
May be this Info is useful to you chand bhai, as you are planning to open a new arms dealership so may be you get your hands on some such Oils.

Mani
23-07-2010, 04:17 PM
very nice info;

ADNAN CHAND
23-07-2010, 04:28 PM
May be this Info is useful to you chand bhai, as you are planning to open a new arms dealership so may be you get your hands on some such Oils.

+1
You got it

Zubair
24-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Good info. But what related brands are available in the market

Sparticas
24-07-2010, 02:30 PM
@ Zubair

dear as i ve mentioned earlier that i don't know anything about the oils but i am sure of one thing that these oils are not available in the market with these names, may be some brands produce them with other names but i don't know.

HassanZ
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
thanx for the information

thepatriot
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
nice info...

Jillanik
08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Good research on oils.

silkenkage
12-08-2010, 01:49 AM
nice info...

ReversEngineer
25-12-2012, 01:55 PM
The purpose of writing all this here is to educate my self (as i don't av any idea about Oils and there qualities) and my fellow members by getting an expert opinion about these oils from our very expert members like 12 Gauge and others, and finding out weather we can get it in the market and how much useful are these for us.

Regards,
Slam bro,
just wanted to correct few things,
the OM series oils are basically hydraulic fluids which are used in military for operating heavy mechanism and in some cases are used as lubricants to reduce the friction in mating parts
Ox-18 is general purpose preservative oil
however the PX series is specifically designed as corrosion preventive oils but different PX numbers are meant for different purposes, the best one for small arms is PX4 corrosion preventive giving thin film which is recommended on phosphated / blued parts for intermediate periods
PX-11 is applied as hot and meant for anti-friction purposes even on sliding mechanisms of small arms but by the manufacturer, not recommended for users
PX-24 is the best short term protection, corrosion preventive and water displacing oil and recommended as user applied. local market names are anticorit-40 n also WD-40 comes under same categorey (i suppose as never studies complete specs)
PX-4

if u want to know about the bluing / phosphating and the painting of small arms, u r welcome

One thing more, if u want to give ur small arms OEM oil finish then Antecore MKR series (if numbered then MKR 5) by any known brands like FUSCH, SHELL etc but it is a hot application, i think 70 to 80 charlie is the application temperature

davidglory
27-12-2012, 07:16 AM
looking for hoppes no 9 solvent ? in pakistan does any body know who has it ?