PDA

View Full Version : Legal status of Antique Guns

Ka_Khan
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
You would have seen old guns hanging on walls.Do they need/have licenses?

Today in a discussion learnt that if guns are declared 'antiques' they dont need a license.
My uncle had a very old gun.Once the gun 'retired' he removed it from his license and note was issued from the DCO office that the gun is now an antique and dont need a license.
This is new to me and needs further input from honourable members. :)

MianTaimur
04-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Last I heard from a friend in govt department, you could get a permit for Rs500 for two antique weapons from the Home Department. You could also use that permit to precure old and antique weapons from police " mall khana"

Topak
04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
new to me too.
but how to determine that this specific gun is antique?what about if antique gun is operational?
according to my knowledge..... a gun which can be operational after some repair job, falls under the definition of ARMS....thus it need to be licensed.
but i will confirm about antique arms.

mhrehman
04-07-2010, 10:06 PM
+1 Topak

Gunpsycho
04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice update Bros :)

SalmanHusain
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
yaar even some quite antique guns r operational ppl in Baluchistan have several muskets in operational condition!!! what about 200 0r 100 years old purdey or Holland and Holland dbbl??? its aquite interesting topic to discuss...

Rotorcrafts
04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
information on this issue will be highly beneficial.

SalmanHusain
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM
then we can buy khyber rifles without license!!!! :D

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
new to me too.
but how to determine that this specific gun is antique?what about if antique gun is operational?
according to my knowledge..... a gun which can be operational after some repair job, falls under the definition of ARMS....thus it need to be licensed.

I presume , the permit is for unoperational guns, which dont have a firing mechanisim !

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
However for the benifit of knowledge, I would reconfirm with my friend and get updates for all you guys tomorow..

Topak
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
new to me too.

I presume , the permit is for unoperational guns, which dont have a firing mechanisim !
Sir,
i think only the absence of firing mechanism does not make a gun to fall under antique.
firing mechanism can be easily installed in a gun,because it falls under "which can e operational after some repair job". and for the benefit of members and the topic,i want to add that,according to rules,a vital part of gun also falls under the definition of ARMS,such like the barrel....or receiver.
i think if you weld the mechanism and barrel of the gun,will make it unlicensed. ;)

maverick880
05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
hmm , quite informative n interesting thread

SPAYPANTHER
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
However for the benifit of knowledge, I would reconfirm with my friend and get updates for all you guys tomorow..

waiting for your updats

Sparticas
05-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Me and Topak sahib had a good discussion about this topic a few days back and after that i planned to do some research on the old and antique guns (so far not started), coz i have some very old guns may be 100 or 120 years old, few of them are operational and can be used (if i can find out their caliber :) ) and also av some with quite old licenses issue in 1950's or before and those licenses now look like antiques :) . One thing which i think should be considered while declaring a gun antique is that whether its ammo is still made and available in the market if the answer is "YES" then i don't think the said gun falls in an antique category like Holland & Holland Dbbl.

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Ok brothers I just had a word with a friend of mine and he has updated me with following information:

You submit an application in the home department, for two permits (In one permit you are allowed two weapons). But as per standard procedure you only get one permit issued.

The cost of the permit includes the cost of the weapon , which is Rs500/- . That means you are getting a permit for two weapons and two antique weapons for a total amount of Rs500/-

After the permit is issued, you are then directed to go to the police "maal khana" from where you could select antique weapons of your choice.

Point raises above , weather the weapons are in working order , their firing mechanism intact etc. The answer I got , is most of the weapons available there are pretty old, however some are in working order. But the catch is the ammunition for such weapons is hardly available.

Apalo
05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
thank you members, Mian sab, this is a new information for me. :)

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
thank you members, Mian sab, this is a new information for me. :)

Sir I got this info over the phone , thru a friend of mine ~ Do counter check and update me aswel. I would however add, that my source is authentic !!

Topak
05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
thanks Mian Sb for updates.
by home department you meant provincial,or federal ?
by the way also can have very good guns in maal khana such like.....SKS semi auto(you will be lucky if found one).its beauty Sir.
soon H.O. will receive a bundle of applications

Apalo
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
you people are enforcing me for a vist to MAAL KHAANA :D

@ToPak
sir apna email id to dain please !

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I believe it is a provincial concern, but I could counter check !
Btw , sad news is .............the maal khana's are empty. Apparently a few big wigs have purchased the entire lot !!

SPAYPANTHER
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
sad news is .............the maal khana's are empty. Apparently a few big wigs have purchased the entire lot !!
:o

Denovo87
05-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Btw , sad news is .............the maal khana's are empty. Apparently a few big wigs have purchased the entire lot !!

What a tragic end to very beautiful looking start ;)

Syed Adeel
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
well said Denovo Sahib

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 04:07 PM

What a tragic end to very beautiful looking start ;)

Well sir , that is just for the mal khana's in Karachi !! My friend told me the stock keeps on coming from left right places and once there is something attractive he would update me , so I may apply for a pair.
You may try looking around in your area , I believe an ideal place to look for antique weapons would be, Bahawalpur and Multan.

Sparticas
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
You submit an application in the home department, for two permits (In one permit you are allowed two weapons). But as per standard procedure you only get one permit issued.

The cost of the permit includes the cost of the weapon , which is Rs500/- . That means you are getting a permit for two weapons and two antique weapons for a total amount of Rs500/-

After the permit is issued, you are then directed to go to the police "maal khana" from where you could select antique weapons of your choice.

Thank you Main sahib for sharing this info, but i don't understand like you mean if make 1 permit for 500 rs i can keep 4 antique wpns on that?

sir 2ndly the Big question is how to determine whats an antique and whats not, and whats the legal status of such weapons .......

Apalo
05-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you Main sahib for sharing this info, but i don't understand like you mean if make 1 permit for 500 rs i can keep 4 antique wpns on that?

sir 2ndly the Big question is how to determine whats an antique and whats not, and whats the legal status of such weapons .......
soo ahnay da sawaal kita jay :)

wasifali89
05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
strange information for me

MianTaimur
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
As mentioned earlier, I would repeat again for better understanding and clarification.
I have recived the following information from my friend:

1) You are allowed two (2) weapons on permit, for which you have to pay Rs500/- @Rs250/weapon.

2) Most weapons availible in the maal khana dont function or those which have their firing mechanisim intact, their classifcation as an antique depends upon non availibility of ammo (if specific calibre ammo is scarce and obselete the weapon would fall under the antique category) !!

I hope I have been able to clarify quiries by fellow members. But as mentioned , earlier this information has been provided by a friend of mine and I consider his information authentic, however members could counter check at their own end and share information with me aswel.

SPAYPANTHER
05-07-2010, 11:39 PM
yes you can but then be ready for jail…

SPAYPANTHER
05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
@ miantaimur

brother thenks for your such clarification

Kakar
06-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Every country has different rules to describe antique guns..

In Pakistan an antique gun is described as follows:

antique Rifle and pistol: A rifle and pistol whose rifling grooves are cut or destroyed.

antique shotgun: A muzzle loader shotgun..

Ka_Khan
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys you are hijacking the Antique guns status with the 'mal khana' info.
If someone is having an old gun at his house (dont need to buy from malkhana),what is the procedure?
@miantaimur thanks for the info.As told you above my uncle has one BSA rifle and he didnt wana use it any more so decided to change its status to Antique,he simply requested the DCO and the order was issued on his old license.
Its very interisting topic and needs further input from people who have antique guns.

Omer571
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
What a topic ! And What gr8 info.

But

BAHUT DAIR KER DEY TUM NAY SANAM AATAY AATAY

SPAYPANTHER
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
What a topic ! And What gr8 info.

But

BAHUT DAIR KER DEY TUM NAY SANAM AATAY AATAY
have you miss your antiqe

sayyedain
06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
interesting topic

Sparticas
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
In Pakistan an antique gun is described as follows:

antique Rifle and pistol: A rifle and pistol whose rifling grooves are cut or destroyed.

antique shotgun: A muzzle loader shotgun..

Now sir thats an info, kindly if you tell us the source for our consumption, and the legal status of this definition .......

SalmanHusain
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
yes you can but then be ready for jail…
well they r antique the Britishers gave it to the puktoons some 10k of them and they r antiques and they r not bad for 500rs!!! what about .32 its ammo is scarce!!!

SPAYPANTHER
07-07-2010, 09:56 PM
@salmanhusain

bro just those weapons can be keep as antique which haven’t their ammo in market while 7mm and .32 still available in market…

and now a days 7mm bolt actions are in action after band on semi auto rifle :)

SalmanHusain
07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
well how difficult is to get this antique license and can we pick any gun from sarkari mal khana???