PDA

View Full Version : Info required on cleaning barrel rust!

Mangloo Ramzani
19-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Salaams,

I went through a lot of threads looking for a way to clean rust from barrels of weapons (both handguns and rifles!) but couldnt find any proper info.

The problem is that how do we clean a gun barrel which has been neglected for years.

And if we do manage to clean it, does the barrel become accurate enough after cleaning, or should we leave it as a bad job?

Any input will be much appreciated.

Regards

calm_slave
20-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Hey dear!
First of all tell me, You've gun or rifle. Any way, whatever is that, You should dip the barrel in diesel for at least one or two days. After that all rust will be vanished, then dry it with any cotton cloth or any. Then lubricate it, It is very simple.

SPAYPANTHER
20-06-2010, 09:45 AM
you should treat it with diesel then WD40 and then if required use a coper brush...

Mangloo Ramzani
20-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks a lot brothers calm_slave and SPAYPANTHER for the input.

I will give it a try. BTW calm_slave, I have to clean both handgun and rifle! Is there any difference in procedure of cleaning?

Plus I wanted to ask, can I use 'Compound Polish' used on car body paints for this purpose?? It is an abrasive paste, will it not clean the barrel? Just curious!! :)

Denovo87
20-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Dear Mangloo bro, auto body compound paste sounds good idea for rusty barrels, there are special compounds available for gun barrels in various abressives grades like mild, hard or fine. They not only remove the rust n fouling etc but polish the bore in mirror finish, I will be getting two grades abressive & polishing as soon as I get my parcel released from customs, so looking forward to have your rusties to try these on :)

Skeeter60
20-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Dear Mangloo bro, auto body compound paste sounds good idea for rusty barrels, there are special compounds available for gun barrels in various abressives like mild, hard or fine. They not only remove the rust n fouling etc but polish the bore in mirror finish, I will be getting two grades abressive & polishing as soon as I get my parcel released from customs, so looking forward to have your rusties to try these on :)

Denovo Dear
Won't the rusties get bruised with the abrasive paste?

Denovo87
20-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Dear Mangloo bro, auto body compound paste sounds good idea for rusty barrels, there are special compounds available for gun barrels in various abressives like mild, hard or fine. They not only remove the rust n fouling etc but polish the bore in mirror finish, I will be getting two grades abressive & polishing as soon as I get my parcel released from customs, so looking forward to have your rusties to try these on :)

Denovo Dear

Sir, its two part polishing system (atleast the one I am having) abressive grade cuts the surface then polishing grade polishes it leveling all the bruisings leaving barrel with a mirror finish (at least per manufacturers of this compound claim).
Secondly it depends how deep & badly the rust is rooted if its of a mild nature then we can bypass the cutting paste and start with polishing right away but again thats what I assume so waiting for the both (compound & rusty) to try :)

Mangloo Ramzani
20-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Dear Mangloo bro, auto body compound paste sounds good idea for rusty barrels, there are special compounds available for gun barrels in various abressives grades like mild, hard or fine. They not only remove the rust n fouling etc but polish the bore in mirror finish, I will be getting two grades abressive & polishing as soon as I get my parcel released from customs, so looking forward to have your rusties to try these on :)

Sir, it will be an honour for me and my rusties! ;)

Topak
20-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Denovo Dear

Sir, its two part polishing system (atleast the one I am having) abressive grade cuts the surface then polishing grade polishes it leveling all the bruisings leaving barrel with a mirror finish (at least per manufacturers of this compound claim).
Secondly it depends how deep & badly the rust is rooted if its of a mild nature then we can bypass the cutting paste and start with polishing right away but again thats what I assume so waiting for the both (compound & rusty) to try :)
Sir Denovo
is there any alternative,which can be available in town....
or any Desi TOTKA for it ?
i need to clean my DSA and .25 which got rusted after the use of SUNSHINE and desi ammu for .25 ACP :(

MianTaimur
20-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey dear!
First of all tell me, You've gun or rifle. Any way, whatever is that, You should dip the barrel in diesel for at least one or two days. After that all rust will be vanished, then dry it with any cotton cloth or any. Then lubricate it, It is very simple.

Please excuse me for asking an irrelevent question, but can either of you clarify, weather the above mentioned procedure is suitable for inside and outside the barell ?
One of my12" barell got rusted from the outer side, can I get it cleaned this way ?

Mangloo Ramzani
20-06-2010, 02:59 PM
@ miantaimur:

Well I was talking about the Barrel Inside!!

The outside can be cleaned the same way I guess, and afterwards re-blued!

MIdreesTaj
20-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Small amounts of pitting and spotting inside the barrel can be cured by firing 4-5 rounds and brushing the bore with WD40 using nylon brush. Cleaning the bore off any oil and repeat the process 7-8 times and lube the barrel after wards.

Dipping the whole barrel in deisel for day or two sounds intimidating. You can always do that and later do what I above said for best results. As for reference the given method is a DESI TOTKA as asked by dear TOPAK. :)

Mangloo Ramzani
20-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Another useful input!

Thanks MIdreesTaj Sb! :D

MianTaimur
20-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you Mangloo Ramzani , I guess I would give it a try on my 12 gauge......

Salahuddin Ayubi
20-06-2010, 03:57 PM

@ ManglooRamzani,

If I remember correctly, his bag of goodies is stuck and rusting at Lahore Airport. If somehow it could be greased out soon, the honor of trying these could certainly be expedited ;)

Mangloo Ramzani
20-06-2010, 04:10 PM

@ ManglooRamzani,

If I remember correctly, his bag of goodies is stuck and rusting at Lahore Airport. If somehow it could be greased out soon, the honor of trying these could certainly be expedited ;)

Hmmm ... I see what you're trying to say here SA bro! ;)

Mangloo Ramzani
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Okay this is what I did:

- Boiled some water, and mixed soda in it!

- Then submerged the barrels in it!

- After sometime, took them out and cleaned the barrel inside with a pull through and a Nylon+Copper barrel brush!

- Repeated the above point, some 20 - 25 times

- The result is shown below:

30 bore Pakmade Pistol Barrel, before cleaning:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6670STAR.jpg

And after cleaning:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6672STAR.jpg

TT Barrel #1, before cleaning:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6668TT.jpg

And after cleaning:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6671TT.jpg

TT Barrel #2, before cleaning:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6666TT.jpg

And after:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC_6673TT.jpg

Expert comments needed from members!! :D

Rotorcrafts
03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
My God....!!!!

That are Awesome results....!!

and by soda you mean "Baking soda" or "Dhobi soda" :D

Mangloo Ramzani
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I will now try my "Compound Polish" theory on at least one of them!!! :D

Rotorcrafts
03-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Also what setup did you use to take the pictures?. Ive tried hard to take pictures of the inners of the barrels. pretty difficult task it is :(

Mangloo Ramzani
04-07-2010, 10:54 AM
@ Rotorcrafts:

Brother, the setup includes the following:

- My Camera (Nikon D40x, with standard kit lens)
- The Barrels
- CD Box (for camera)
- CD cases (for Barrel)
- Laptop monitor (used as a back screen)

The settings on the camera were:

- Aperture f22
- Shutter (the cam was on aperture priority so shutter speed was auto, it took about 8-12 secs exposures)
- The camera wouldn't auto focus, so had to manually focus it at midway in the barrel.
- Zoom at super wide, 18mm

Rest is clear from the following pic!!! :D
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/Mangloo/barrels/DSC00061.jpg

Topak
04-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Sir MR...its pretty simple but effective one.
i remembered when we got some machinery from abroad which was also very badly rusted,the master fitter of the factory did the same thing.....they boiled the water and put the soda in it and then parts of machine.
when the parts came out, were shining like new..... but i also remember they used some kind of powder after this process to bring some more shining....

Mangloo Ramzani
04-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Sir MR...its pretty simple but effective one.
i remembered when we got some machinery from abroad which was also very badly rusted,the master fitter of the factory did the same thing.....they boiled the water and put the soda in it and then parts of machine.
when the parts came out, were shining like new..... but i also remember they used some kind of powder after this process to bring some more shining....

Sir, the name of that powder is 'DENTONIC'!! :D

It is recommended by many for use on shiny metals, specially silver!!

I'm also figuring out a way to use it inside the barrel ... after I get hold of a Dentonic bottle! ;)

Topak
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
LOL
Sir MR...if it joke let me know...other wise i am going to....
" othu beta ankhain kholo......bister chorro mun dho lo.....
DENTONIC se GUN chumkaoo or khoob achay shooter bun jao......."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rotorcrafts
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Mangloo Ramzani
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
LOL

HAHAHA ... no joke Topak Bro!

Just try it on some metal or silver and you'll see the difference!

Topak
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
apart from joke...i will try it Sir.

Denovo87
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm also figuring out a way to use it inside the barrel ... after I get hold of a Dentonic bottle! ;)

MR bro, to apply the any abressive media (Dentonic or auto body compound) start with copper brush then nylon brush and a cotton mop at last.

Abbas
05-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Interesting thread this, great job Mangloo Ramzani ! Btw local barrels always end up looking like that no matter what.

Mangloo Ramzani
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
@ Denovo:

Sir, will proceed as suggested by you. Will post results in a couple of days! :)

@ Abbas:

Thanks Abbas Sb! and yes this is an inherent problem with the local barrels! It also gives me the opportunity to use totkas on them too !!! :D

SPAYPANTHER
05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
@ mangloo

nice TOTKA

Gunpsycho
06-07-2010, 10:18 AM
@Nice work Mangloo Sahib :)

Mangloo Ramzani
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Gunpsycho Sb! :D

Also thanks SPAYPANTHER for appreciating the totka! ;)

aldofhitler
08-07-2010, 08:13 AM
bhai there is a simple thing to know about removing rust from barrels.
go to the gun shop and they have a specific spring with them. they rotate that spring in barrel and all the rust vanishes.

12GAUGE
15-11-2010, 06:28 AM
AoA Everybody

Nice trick/tip MR bro. regarding the bore polishing thingy, I would also recommend, autobody compound or milder abrasive compounds such as dentonic or Baking soda. Baking soda is also used to whiten teeth because it is a very mild abrasive. also a chief ingredient in Dentonic tooth powder.

here is what you can do to speed up the process: apply some to a cotton patch on a bore cleaning rod. fix the rod in a hand held drill and drill away. it will speed things up quiet a bit. use the drill intermittently and make sure to get a firm grip on the barrel first.

Regards.

Mangloo Ramzani
21-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks 12guage bro!

Did try the compound polish thingy and the results are encouraging! ;)
Will post pics of the barrel in current state, and also after trying the drill thingy!!! :D

Engineeer
21-11-2010, 01:26 PM
i am w8ng 4 pics nice thread very very important totkas,,,,,,

Skeeter60
10-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Cleaning Rusty Barrels
First of all if a barrel gets rust inside, permanent damage has been caused.
Rust is a compound formed between steel, and oxygen in the presence of moisture, once we remove rust we are removing a bit of the metal and pitting will be the result. Pitting will keep on increasing with firing due to the errosive action of propellant gases.
Polishing a rifled barrel with compounds can shine and smoothen out the pitting and if the damage is minor the barrel will not be damaged, but if it is visible it is significant.
Using a Drill machine can be dangerous in untrained hands, the barrel must be a shotgun only, any Rifle or Pistol barrel will be ruined with the use of a drill machine to polish. The shot gun barrel must be secured in a heavy vise and leather gloves be used, ensure the machine is started after inserting the rod into the barrel and that it is not pushed out or pulled out with the machine running.
Rifle barrels must be cleaned with rods having a bearing in the handle so that these move along with the rifling polishing both lands and grooves rather than damaging the lands.
Proper solvents are available and these clean the bores efficiently with chemical and very mild abrasive action. Diesel is a solvent like kerosine and both help remove rust but also cause rust if the metal is not cleaned and then an oily patch not applied to the metal surface.

Aquarius
10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Very well explained asusual Skeeter Sir.. thanks for sharing.

metalgear
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
brother to get rid of the rust is pretty easy no matter what type of barrel it is ....

may be some readers will not agree but it works .....

1. get some steel wool . the stuff used to clean metal pans and kitchen stuff ...
2. get a cleaning rod (one with a hole for cloth)
3.put steel wool in the rod and clean the barrel with the rod and put oil in it too ... it will take the rust out ....

then use simple cloth for removing excess oil and dirt ...

hope that will work for you too ;-)

metalgear
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
try firing some rounds first it cleans the barrel automatically ;-)
if this dont work try the other tactic