PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT92 Locking block failure

coolbox18
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I have read on more than one foreign boards regarding locking block failure in Taurus/Beretta pt92, @10,000/20,000rounds respectively :( . while Beretta have modified the design and now claim a locking block life of 50000rounds, Taurus pt92 is with the same problem. For people concious of the problem, it is recommended to get it changed at 5000 rounds (this is what the forums have to say).

In the west, with Taurus lifetime repair warranty, this replacement/repair might not be a issue.

1. What would the scenario be here if such a failure occurs? are these parts/repairs available here?
2. Has any of seniors experienced or come across this problem? (i hope not!)
3. is this specific to pt92 alone, or all similar category guns need such repairs/maintenance?
4. is this problem related to wear, or careless use?

looking for expert comments.

9mm Luger
11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Well in the west ammo being cheap the round count is high coming to your point would you fire 400k worth ammo in a 55-60k pistol?? :P

because of the low round count its a non issue here in Pakistan!!

Faisji
11-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you referring to slide fracturing at the junction of locking block?

Oasis
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Well in the west ammo being cheap the round count is high coming to your point would you fire 400k worth ammo in a 55-60k pistol?? :P

AOA ..

+1 :cool:

Thx.

coolbox18
11-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Are you referring to slide fracturing at the junction of locking block?

well, please review the below (as i am not technical enough to be able to explain!)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80248&page=2

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/taurus/16671-taurus-pt-92-a.html

Faisji
11-05-2010, 07:41 PM
1. What would the scenario be here if such a failure occurs? are these parts/repairs available here?
3. is this specific to pt92 alone, or all similar category guns need such repairs/maintenance?

1.Warrenty questions are better answered by taurus/Autherised dealers.Parts are not expensive to buy ($50 +delivery) but then nothing is as simple as that here.

2.Never seen it in FS92,M9 or PT series guns it happens around 17-22k +p rounds in M9/FS92 and 10000 +P in PT

3. All open slide beretta style designs require repair in this area at some point or other due to wear and tear

4 This is wear and tear.

coolbox18
11-05-2010, 07:44 PM

i definitely agree with that. however, i thought that this was worth getting expert comments on.

coolbox18
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM

1.Warrenty questions are better answered by taurus/Autherised dealers.Parts are not expensive to buy ($50 +delivery) but then nothing is as simple as that here.

2.Never seen it in FS92,M9 or PT series guns it happens around 17-22k +p rounds in M9/FS92 and 10000 +P in PT

3. All open slide beretta style designs require repair in this area at some point or other due to wear and tear

4 This is wear and tear.

thank you faisji sb.
what i understand from this is for normal hd/sd and some range use (i dont think over 3-4000rounds max usage), this is not
a big deal. also, is it possible to find out where we can get this component? any seniors can guide on this, just in case..

how do other similar range guns (cz999, cougar8000, viking etc) rate in this area.

GatlinGun
11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
What a wonderful point made here again, and already made so many times before...

Here, let me invent something...

Every Weapons has a RTTS: Right Time to Sell (Also called RTTD, Right Time To Dump)

What is this time?

This time is different for different people.

For Safe and Secure Minded People:
The price of Ammo spent (whether you bought it or not) crosses the price of Pistola

For Medium Careless Type of People like Me:
The price of Ammo spent crosses the price of the pistol, so we get careful and start doing inspections, but we don't sell

For Cowboy Types:
My Pistola is made of space age metals and is indestructible, regardless of the cracking and the pitting.

So Now, my gunners, categorize yourself, and log your gun, and it will help you decide your weapon's RTTS/RTTD, and take some jinsee pictures, and use the Market Place, and thank His Excellency for providing such a wonderful forum for all of us to share our not so wonderful fears and anxieties.

Best wishes,

GG

Vik
11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I doubt an average PAKgunner will reach 5k rounds let alone 10/20k.
But I am also sure that PT92 will reach 25k rounds easy.

Faisji
11-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I am pretty sure quite few of us fire upwards of 2k a year with strong feeling that some are doing 5 to 10 times of that amount.

GatlinGun
11-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I am pretty sure quite few of us fire upwards of 2k a year with strong feeling that some are doing 5 to 10 times of that amount.

Then use my formula...

MIdreesTaj
11-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Locking blocks in PT and FS both have been known to withstand 30k rounds without breaking. However there are also news of it breaking at 8 to 10k rounds.
A PT92/99 cannot die in Pakistan atleast where we have major 92FS cloning being done under different names. You can drop it in custom made block for your PT92/99 with steel of your choice (moly steel being used here). So I think it's future is more than just secure over here, even more secure than any other foreign made pistol.

Salahuddin Ayubi
12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Locking blocks in PT and FS both have been known to withstand 30k rounds without breaking. However there are also news of it breaking at 8 to 10k rounds.

A PT92/99 cannot die in Pakistan atleast where we have major 92FS cloning being done under different names. You can drop it in custom made block for your PT92/99 with steel of your choice (moly steel being used here). So I think it's future is more than just secure over here, even more secure than any other foreign made pistol.

+++1

One of the reasons why I opted for Taurus 92.

GatlinGun
12-05-2010, 10:50 AM

+++1

One of the reasons why I opted for Taurus 92.

Rather a new reason which now further ensures your faith in the Jackal Killer T92 of yours ;)

Salahuddin Ayubi
12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Not true GG. New about the clone and availability of its spare parts before purchasing the 92.

By the way, when do I get a chance to hunt some MalirDogs ?

9mm Luger
12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
malir dogs?

GatlinGun
12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
malir dogs?

I think he is trying to say pye dogs in Malir.

Salahuddin Ayubi
12-05-2010, 12:16 PM
yeah. let it go bro.