PDA

View Full Version : Sand Bag's Ammo Deterrence

R Shahreyar
02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Which type of ammo a regular sand bag (placed horizontally) could deter ?

Omkhan
02-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Most handguns & some rifle calibres have failed to penetrate more than 6 inches in tightly packed sand. This was demonstrated @ http://www.theboxotruth.com/. Hence a double wall of sandbags are most likely to stop just about any caliber as sand is a very good barrier. Not that I would like to be behind those to prove ;)

R Shahreyar
02-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice info Omkhan

tarzen81
27-04-2009, 11:01 PM
@OmKhan . . . Thanks for sharing this information!

Mohammad
28-04-2009, 12:35 PM
its effective protection against almost every type of small arm bullet

Rizshu
27-08-2009, 11:05 PM
what about if someone have a sandbag in a basement and i m sure that will decrease the bang too

Enigmatic Desires
28-08-2009, 12:41 AM
what are u going to do with a 'single' sand back. in the basement?

Hamid
28-08-2009, 12:51 AM
If rizshu is thinking what Im thinking, he should invest in some good quality ear protection and ventilation.

Enigmatic Desires
29-08-2009, 04:16 PM
If rizshu is thinking what Im thinking, he should invest in some good quality ear protection and ventilation.

(groan) dont tell me.. my ears feel like they have just been put through a wringer. after a dinner to Sehri firing session..

Remind me to invest in a decent pair of ear muffs :(

Malik1
29-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Guys! In relation to sand there is another information. Israeli Army has developed a sand bullet. It will replace their rubber coated steel pellet (rubber bullets) which has killed many Palestinians. The new round's head is made from compressed sand which remains intact till the time it comes across resistance and then shatters into a powder or sand. Though extremely painful, it is said to be less dangerous, as it does not penetrate the skin. This is what Israelis claim at least. They will use it as an anti riot measure against Palestinians. Info is available at fol site

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001717.html

KageFox
29-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Shooting in the basement will create quite a lot of noise. Having a sandbag will only ensure that the bullet doesn't ricochet, no difference to sound levels. Get good hearing protection as prolonged indoor shooting without ear protection can permanently damage your hearing abilities.

PS. A side issue I read about when researching about indoor ranges. Shooters who frequent indoor ranges are exposed to lead in the air (from bullets), which leads to lead poisoning (excessive amounts of lead in blood)

Shariq
29-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Apart from the fact that such practice is permissible only at firing ranges, you can get a ricochet even from a sand bag if the bullet collides with other bullets buried in the sand bag.

MHMalik
29-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes.. But its very unlikely unless you are very unfortunate..

But if you are having a Bad kismet day.. Sh** just happens.. the gun can go off in your hand..

Sound in a basement WILL be insane.. make sure there is Heavy ear protection..

Ka_Khan
30-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Guys Firing bullets other then proper firing ranges or well placed targets could be dangerous,specially in someones basement.It should be avoided.

MHMalik
30-08-2009, 02:29 AM
Guys Firing bullets other then proper firing ranges or well placed targets could be dangerous,specially in someones basement.It should be avoided.

I Agree completely :|

And Always watch your background

Mig
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
what about the Sniper bullets.. Do they penetrate the Sand bag ? or not ?

.308, 7mm Magnum, .338, .50 BMG,

Skeeter60
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Lead poisoning
The major source of lead other than the lead bullet on the ranges comes from the priming compound.
Lead azide and another lead based compound is used in non mercuric primers found in all modern rifle, pistoland rimfire ammunition. Very recently lead free ammo is started in the US and Germany.
All ranges must be very well ventilated and the indoor ones must have exhaust fans near the firing points

khakiMB
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
interesting however what would one fire in basements other than airguns!

aq4530ba
05-11-2009, 10:47 PM

I Agree completely :|

Seconded! :)

aq4530ba
05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Lead poisoning
The major source of lead other than the lead bullet on the ranges comes from the priming compound.
Lead azide and another lead based compound is used in non mercuric primers found in all modern rifle, pistoland rimfire ammunition. Very recently lead free ammo is started in the US and Germany.
All ranges must be very well ventilated and the indoor ones must have exhaust fans near the firing points

Very true... Most ammunition boxes also have it printed in bold that you must fire the rounds in a well ventilated area. Lead is a carcinogen and very poisonous. Be extremely careful people! :S

KageFox
05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Some time ago, there was an article in Guns & Ammo (or similar guns magazine) which mentioned a small survey conducted to test levels of lead in blood of shooters at different ranges. Shooters at indoor ranges were shown to have a greater amount of lead in their blood, especially those who took part in the cleanup of the range after a session...

Jillanik
25-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Quite informative

Syed Rehmat
15-03-2010, 12:13 PM
lead is a very dangerous thing so someone should avoid contact as its poisious and make very much difficulties.
WARNIG' such as:

dISCHARGING FIREARMS IN PROPERLY VENTILATED AREAS, CLEANING FIREARMS OR HANDLING AMMUNITION MAY RESULT IN EXPOSURE TO LEAD AND OTHER SUBSTANCES KNOWN TO CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS, REPRODUCTIVE HARM AND OTHER SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURY. HAVE ADEQUATEVENTILATION AT ALL TIMES.
WASH HANDS THOROUGHLY & PROPERLY AFTER EXPOSURE.

Salahuddin Ayubi
15-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I suggest a temporary BAN for Syed Rehmat for his persistent digging up of old threads without adding any value to the discussion.

Naveed_pk
15-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes SA bro Already reported .. Upto Modes what they think for him

Mangloo Ramzani
15-03-2010, 08:11 PM
oh come on man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

This is like the Gezillionth thread revived by SR without any noteworthy addition .... Mods pls do something about it !