PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting Suggestions/advice To Build A Hobby Workshop At Home

12GAUGE
05-05-2010, 02:00 AM
AoA Everybody

I have been longing to build a hobby workshop at home for quiet some time now to take on small "Do It Yourself" type projects related to shotguns and handguns.

I would appreciate if the esteemed members suggest any tools/equipment, furniture and accessories that I would need or would make things easier for me. kindly do keep the probable extent/depth of the projects and costs associated in acquiring a particular tool in view as the objective is not to open a commercial machine shop. for now all I can think of is:

1. Drill machine with various type of bits for both metal and masonry work
2. die grinder (baby/pencil grinder) with drill chuck and all necessary attachments
3. Vise, preferably two to hold a completely assembled shotgun
4. metal table with light fixtures
5. vertical drill press
6. belt sander
7. fixed rotary grinder
8. fixed buff machine (rotary type)
9. complete set of screw drivers
10. complete set of brass punches
11. a screw gauge
12. a vernier caliper
13. complete set of metal filers

Regards.

SPAYPANTHER
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
You will also need some thing to walding the Mattel partials…

And as now a days pistols are coming in polymers etc so a sording rood for melt and again joint the broken parts…

Ka_Khan
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Best of luck 12 guage.You have the list you will need.I think you will also need some jars,plastic dishes,Diesil,kerosine oil.

Nabeel
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Sir most of the items you mentioned can be easily bought from METRO

ay_be_why
06-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Sir most of the items you mentioned can be easily bought from METRO

+1, except for items 11 and 12 maybe. I think Rotorcrafts can help because he and his father are into model-building and woodwork..(I think)

Just a wee little suggestion, since this is going to be a "garage/ backyard" workshop, try to get as many tools with multiple capabilities as possible to save storage as well as working space. Like getting a rotary grinder that also takes buffing wheels, or vices that are mounted on elbow/ball (?) joints so that they can be used horizontally like you mentioned, or at any other angle while holding a dremel tool etc.

12GAUGE
06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Awesome suggestions everybody. specially the tools with multiple capabilities. that should save space along with cash :)

I shall contact Rotorcrafts today to an insight to what i'm entering into.

Regards.

Moeen
06-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Salam All,
@12 Gauge - Firstly, Welcome to the world of modifications. Might I suggest for you to add to list:
1. rubber mallet.
2. Brass mallet.
3. wood mallet.
4. Vise lips (smooth - not the teethed ones as they will marr the finish).
5. two vernier calipers (small and large with micro adj. in mm and inches), the japanese ones are quite long lasting and accurate.
6. small set of files.
7. small set of diamond files.
8. Complete set of big files from rough, medium, and small cut (Canadian ones are the ones to get they don't dull easy).
9. a magnifying glass.
10. some small stones for honing small parts by hand.
I will keep posting things as I remember them.
With you in this all the way.

12GAUGE
06-05-2010, 11:11 PM
With you in this all the way.

Thank you Moeen Bhai. after such words of encouragement, my motivation just shot up 1000%.

Regards.

Zubair
07-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Excellent hobby

Ilyas
07-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Nice idea Bro... visit Sinclairs website and you'll get idea about so many other tools,
which you might want to add to the list :)

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

HafizAhmed
07-05-2010, 01:40 AM
hey you ll want to get one of those precision drilling machines , not just a simple vertical drill press , i wasted my money on one and turns its not too good for really fine work , check this thing , http://www.wttool.com/images/normal/20050950.jpg if you manage to find something of the sort which does the job let us know , good luck ,

Topak
08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Sir nice workshop...
can you explain what you want to do with this workshop..?
modifying ? customizing ? alterations ? or ......? :cool:

and the tools mentioned by Moeen are very simple but necessary. since you want simple workshop otherwise i will suggest you for a small lathe machine
best of luck for future.

TAREEN
11-05-2010, 08:16 AM
This kit might be of good use when it comes to finishing and micro modifications. I bought if for less than Rs. 1500 a while back from an electrical hardware tools shop.

http://s3.postimage.org/OUxAJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqOUxAJ)

ay_be_why
11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes sir Tareen and 12Gauge, the dremel is a must-have for any hobbyist who's into building/ modifying stuff.

Mangloo Ramzani
18-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Sir 12guage, are you also planning to carry out reloading at your Hobby Shop??

coolbox18
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
12gauge sir, I hope below is not very silly considering you would have definitely taken care of most if not all, but..
-protective eqpmnt for eyes, ears, preferably whole face, as well as fire resistant apron, work gloves and shoes
-fire alarm and sensors (activated only when not doing smokey stuff)
-fire fighting eqp, simple hydrant lines at 2 or 3 locations would do, depends on size of workshop. atleast one extinguisher is recommended. if u could use overhead sprinklers, i would be an impressive and pocket friendly solution.
-dedicated power circuit, with circuit breaker and short circuit safety
-first aid kit
-basic engineering drawing apparatus
-among other safety essentials which you know better, a mini bar for relaxing after the tedious job done...
and yes, emergency exit provision, a large window would also do..

ay_be_why
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
12gauge sir, I hope below is not very silly considering you would have definitely taken care of most if not all, but...

Not silly at all sir, safety FIRST... Very good of you to point out some EXTREMELY important workshop equipment...

coolbox18
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you ay_be_why bro

Actually it is in respect of 12gauge sir, it is important that we stay respectful of each other, and specially of senior experts :)

fahd.mehmood
08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Duct Tape & WD40

Thats what America was built on :D