PDA

View Full Version : Getting a compound bow from USA

ahmedsalman
22-04-2010, 10:43 PM
AOA everybody, in the next 2 months ill be goign to US. i am interested to bring a compound bow on my way back to pakistan. i have searched on the customs website plus many forums but nothing is mentioned about bow and arrows being a prohibited item.. can anybody advice the proper procedure to bring it along??? if i need some NOC from somewhere to bring it... it is mentioned in sporting goods on various airlines website... any help?

Dr Zakir
22-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I think u have to check both for Pakistani and us rules

Abu Al Hawl
22-04-2010, 10:56 PM
ahmed bro welcome on board! if you could be hel to me, pls get me one leupold mount for BRNO 7mm rifle from the US, which will cost not more than U$ 28/=

Kakar
23-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Abu Al Hawl Lala... If the mounts you are talking about are from Cabelas then let me know the Item code as my Cabelas shipment will be arriving in June/July. I can place an order for you..

Denovo87
23-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Kakar bro, I tried twice to place order for mounts & bases with Cabelas but they donot ship these to Pakistan, unfortunately :/ but if you are making your purchase to be shipped in US then its alright :)

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Kakar Lala, thank you very much i appreciate your kind gesture, now since my legal consul Den Lala is involved, pls answer his query

Kakar
23-04-2010, 11:59 AM
denvo sb and Abu Lala.. goods will be shipped in the U.S and will come here in personal baggage. I guess legal formalities are taken care of.

Salahuddin Ayubi
23-04-2010, 12:03 PM
So it's not directly being shipped from US to PK by Cabelas. This explains it.

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 12:13 PM
oh great, then if is it possible for you to please can you also arrange a scope for me if i advise you the model and pay you in advance?

Aamar
23-04-2010, 12:36 PM
You can bring mounts from the US (i got mine from Cabelas in Chicago) but scopes can be tricky :-)

Regarding the bow, again very very tricky :/

Kakar
23-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Sure Abu.. just check if " SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY" tag appears under the item or not. Very often, they don't ship such items even in the U.S. That is my personal experience.

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 02:31 PM
i just want a normal leupolds normal scope costing U$ 300/= pls you also surf and find any good one formy BRNO7mm. you you said since shipment is with US and then later somE of your friend will carry it for you from US so do you still think it can cause a problem at the air port?

Kakar
23-04-2010, 03:23 PM
In my experience regarding the high powered rifle scopes, I have seen that sometimes Cabelas itself turns down the order by saying that the item is not in stock. Secondly the customs at the airport have no stated laws regarding such items and let go of such things sometimes and sometimes not. After the last incident with the customs, I take a lot of precautions when selecting items to order.

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 03:30 PM
so should i forget about the scope :(

Kakar
23-04-2010, 04:18 PM
O Lala I have given you the clear picture. The decision is totally yours now. I cannot promise you something that I am not 100% sure about otherwise I will face the embarrassment afterwards.

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 04:37 PM
ap ne humain Doobida mein dal diya Jaji :(

Kakar
23-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Hum ne to aap ko doobida main nahin dala... aap ke decision making system main koi garbar hai.. bhai mounts ki tu I can give guarantee because I always receive them without any problem. Gun cleaning kit with long rods was almost confiscated last time. Bringing night vision apparatus is again a problem. I have faced problems with scopes and that is why I sharing it with you. So here I say again, if you want to give it a shot then go ahead. Its your call.

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 07:30 PM
ok Decision system recovered now, i just need leupold mounts for BRNO 7mm ok Lala:D

Kakar
23-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok... So Lala is not a risk taker haaaaaan.. now e-mail me the item code at azmoria@yahoo.com

Abu Al Hawl
23-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Kakar Lala, kiya yar pehle dara te ho phir beh katay ho :(

Kakar
23-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Acha sorry bhai.. Actually I am in the habit of giving and taking crystal clear information in any matter so that afterwards people don't doubt my intentions.

waisay bhi only good quality mounts are required for 7mm and any medium size scope would be fine. I f you have any problem in finding the right mounts on Cabelas website I would advise you to request Skeeter sahab to find them for you. You can then mail me the item code so that I can place the order.

Man, look what have we done to the poor compound bow topic.

Ahmed Salman sb.. I myself want to get a compound bow from the U.S for the last 2 years but have failed to find someone who has first hand experience of doing so. If you are desperate then you can give it a shot. Security and customs will confiscate it in the worst case.

Mangloo Ramzani
24-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I think Ahmed Salman Sb is awe struck ... thats why he didnt post again! :o

ahmedsalman
24-04-2010, 01:59 AM
lol............ well yes i am awestruck at how the topic has taken a new color. compound bow to scopes. well i will surely give it a try. not worried about pakistani customs or security but what if the US TSA confiscate myself.. that would be bad. so just trying to figure out their policy. dropped a mail at their website and got a reply which i again not very clear. it seems they allow archery things on their planes locally. i told them about my travel and my intention of the buy and this what i got

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policy regarding traveling with sporting equipment.

Currently, ice skates, roller skates, skateboards and tennis racquets are permitted as carry-on items. They will need to be screened by the x-ray machine.

Additionally, baseball bats, bows and arrows, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles and spear guns are not allowed as carry-on items. While these items are prohibited from your carry-on baggage, they may be transported to your destination in your checked baggage. Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Transportation Security Officers (TSOs).

Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, TSOs have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat. Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items into the sterile area of the airport. If you have any doubts, we recommend that you place your sporting equipment in your checked baggage.

For more information on permitted and prohibited items, please our website at www.tsa.gov (http://www.tsa.gov).

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

"

any comments guys?:)

ahmedsalman
24-04-2010, 02:02 AM
even asked them about any paper work required to bring it home as in case of other weapons. so still little hazy about it. btw its not in their list of firearms .its a sporting good.somebody here told me that its prohibited in pakistan .comes in the category of "silent weapons "which is something new to me....

Kakar
24-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Ahmed sahab.. I got the same answer from the authorities. Firstly, it is no where written that bows are prohibited in Pakistan and its just a taboo I guess.

Secondly airport security and customs at U.S and U.K are given full authority to do what ever they want and they are not bound to follow the above mentioned written rules.

I was first stopped in U.S for 1 hour to explain why I have in my baggage the cleaning kit, high quality rifle scope and laser boresighting kit but convincing the Americans was not that difficult. The worst part was clearance at Heathrow (london) stopover where the lady would just not listen to me and not let me go on with these items declaring them a security risk onboard.

After sometime she asked me to pay 250 pounds for the clearance and I asked her what money has to do with security matters. Well to cut short the discussion in between, I kept on saying that I will not pay a single penny and will take my stuff along and on the other hand she came down to 100 pounds. I clearly said that I am willing to miss the flight but then the airline would have to arrange bed and food for me as I don't have any money

It was like 25 minutes to the flight time when the stupid lady gave up and allowed me to proceed with an angry looking face.

So with my 3 to 4 times experience at the airports, I have come to a conclusion that there are no set rules for such items and it is up to you how to talk, negotiate, explain and fight as the last resort to make things go in your favor.

ahmedsalman
24-04-2010, 01:10 PM
yes its written they deliberately make the rules unclear so match the prevailing situation. well this means they wont create much of a hopla. moreover its in their sporting item list. i hope they should not have any problem. well kakar sb what do u think should i really give it a try. i hope its not that much of a hassle then ?