PDA

View Full Version : Russian dove

Arslan_tareen
25-03-2010, 09:54 PM
hi there starting this topic to find more about this majestic dove that is a hunter favorite in specially region of Northern Punjab , Hazara and Attock ,
Now its commonly known as ''Russian dove ''as it migrate from Siberia in winters and for breeding , it is said that it has been spotted in mountains of Naran and Kaghan valley where it has been rumored to be nesting and breeding any ways if any one has knowledge about this dove please share with us thanks .

Arslan_tareen
25-03-2010, 10:04 PM
ok finaly found it , its real name is ''ORIENTAL TURTLE DOVE '' no wonder no one in the world knows about so called ''Russian dove '' as this name was only made up by us Pakistani hunters , well finally i have managed to find the real identity of this bird and just wanted to share with you guys .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Turtle-dove

Jillanik
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Nice sharing. Any difference between "Oriental Turtle Dove" & "Spotted Dove" ?.

Arslan_tareen
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes sir well in scientific term Spotted dove is a resident bird of our region also some time known as Chinese pigeon or Dove , but Oriental Turtle dove is a migratory bird who like many other Birds fly a daunting journey to be shoot by us .
Cosmetic differences are , the call , colour , size .
They fly a bit faster and a bit fun to shoot , in taste its not much difference but makes a perfect Biryani !!

Aquarius
02-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Very nice sharing indeed Arslan bro.......... :)

Arslan_tareen
02-04-2010, 12:54 AM
thanks you sir , i have been searching for this for a long time , and finally found the answer from a Iranian Hunter friend of mine .

Jillanik
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info........I have been hunting this bird in NWFP but never had this detailed info provided by you.

Haris
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
had also seen/shot 2 of these in southern punjab .........on harvested rice fields near taunsa barrage

Arslan_tareen
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
^^ must be stray birds or a flock , as they usualy dont operate in that area maximum i have seen them going south is till Fateh jhang and Gojar Khan max , but any thing is now possible because of extreme hunting done on them , in Haripur , Attock , and manshera region .
there was a time when in 1960s and early 70,s meat gatherers would just fire one shot in the ''Dark cloud'' in the sky and bag them self 6 7 birds . But as with any other animal it is now becoming a hard bird to find , thought still a lot of light Fun for a relaxing after office shoot .