PDA

View Full Version : confuse to select right caliber

Viking
13-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Okay fellow hunters...here is my question for you - if you had to pick a rifle that was a gun you were planning to use for every possible hunt you could walk into in the future - what do you think is the best caliber to use?

Meaning if you wanted a gun you could hunt Whitetail with primarily, but at the same time a gun you could also use just fine if given the opprotunity to go Wild Boar, Ibex, Markhor, Urial, Bharal, Deer, etc......what gun caliber would that be? Most I have talk to have said .270, while others have said .308, some said .30-06, some .243. I want to know your thoughts? and which one available easily in pakistan?

I am looking to buy a fairly expensive rifle that I can plan to use for any hunt that I go on in the future.....so I would like to know what caliber you recommend buying? Again primairly the gun will be used for whitetail hunting......but I am hoping if the caliber is right - it can be also used for just about anything else I want to carry it for.

Thanks for your help!

PrivateEye
13-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Most repeated question .. but no accurate answer till yet
Many of us would like to hear more on this one

Dr Zakir
14-03-2010, 12:15 AM
There is no perfect rifle or handgun for that matter . All depends upon your personal choice and expertise. .308 or 270 should be good . Keep in mind ammo availability and price . That's the most imporatant factor . Practice makes man perfect.

Mastermind
14-03-2010, 12:53 AM
7mm or 222 but both bolt action

Viking
14-03-2010, 02:28 AM
@dr sahab i already mention this k my first priority is ammo availability n i also mention k 4 what purpose i finalist these caliber but cant deside one so plz help me senior hunters

Monir
14-03-2010, 01:50 PM
AS.

Just to add to your confusion dont forget about the bullet type as well. All too often I see people (without proper education) flaunt their knowledge on calibre / barrel usage. Please try and spend a few minutes at the firing range and through the NET to educate yourself about 'Ballistics' the science behind bullet heads, bodies and charges. Have you ever wondered why the 7.62 / .308 NATO round is pretty much standard every where in the world?, why would you choose a hollow point bullet over a copper or steel jacketed round?

There is a marked difference between standard bullet head and say hollow point bullet head... in short the impact damage.

Then you have the variable of 'load' .. massive difference say between 28 grain and 48 grain etc etc .. In short this will provide velocity and obviously change impact as above.

The varying answers you will get are based upon very respectable opinion and viewpoints. However don't forget that in this game there is 'no one answer'. Through practice and asessment at a personal level you will see results you are looking for. No point in trying to crack a walnut with a sledg hammmer, right !

On a personal level I prefer a .22LR rifle for almost all my hunting or small to medium size animals, shotguns for birds and general flying objects (clays included). I choose the .22LR with varying bullet types because the guns are incredibly light (you need that on a 30km hike) and the fact the ammo is cheap. Some maybe argue againt my choice but most animlas I hunt are small to medium, within 200 to 25 yards max and I prefer a humane single shot kill to a vital organ.

A properly placed shot with virtually any calibre .22LR / 0.270 & above will do the damage you need in order to kill most animals (Maybe 0.270 for whitetail though). Make the calibre too big for instance and you will do more damage to the animal than required, I once split a rabbit in HALF! at 130 yards with a friends rifle .. I felt really bad as it was OVERKILL !

This may also answer another question, why do people reload their own bullets when commercially available ones are cheap. Simple answer is when you reload you are producing a very accurate bullet, you dont need 10 bullets to do the job 1 accurate shot can do. You will almost know the exact flight path of your head say at 100 yards through 1000 yards and adjust you angle (MOA) accordingly. I would prefer a better rifle / calibre over commercial availability as I can reload my own bulletc (its very easy n cheap process)

p.S Keep a decent calibre side arm ( 9mm or .30 ) for situation where you cant get your rifle off !, you may need short range stopping power for anything that jumps out at you.

Happy hunting.

Denovo87
14-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Very nice write up Monir bro. good to hear that you reload, I would love to read about this activity more :)
and believe me Viking bro's next question will be about the rifle you used to split the rabit in half ;)

PrivateEye
14-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Let me do Vikings job :P
What cannon did u use to split that rabbit? lol
(a bit of Sir Denovo's question too i guess :p)

Ilyas
15-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Very nice write up, Monir sb. The choice of .22lr as your preferred cal for all your small to medium size hunting, is
quite interesting and impressive ... but unusual as well. Many of us would love to hear more about the variety of
game animals you've hunted with this cal, so far.
Regards!

Skeeter60
16-03-2010, 12:02 PM
@ Viking

Out of the calibers you mentioned only the 270 and good old 30-06 are good for mountain big game you mentioned.
The reasons are the ranges can be from a 100 yds to well over 300 yds. The wind will be very strong in the mountains and the Himalayan Ibex and the Markhore need to be stopped before they climb a cliff or get into a cave to die undetected as these are big and strong animals. So you need a flat trajectory, ability to deviate less from wind and enough bullet weight and energy to bring the animal down keep him anchored.
243 loses energy beyond 200 yds and is very sensitive to wind, and is too small a caliber for markhore and Himalayan Ibex. The 308 is lethal but the trajectory does not make it an ideal long range HUNTING caliber, unless one is equipped as a sniper and trained as one with a laser range finder, Compensating sniper scope and all; therefore withe normal hunting gear the following cailbers are ideal for the animals you mentioned and will not go wrong with any of these.

7mm Magnum (Rem, and or Weatherby)
270 win
30-06
280 Rem
7 x 64 Brenneke
300 Win Mag
7 x 61
300 Weatherby Mag
I have used all these to great effect and I am a great lover of the 7mm Rem Magnum and the 30-06 (specially when hand loaded with 165 gr Nosler bullets )

Skeeter60
16-03-2010, 12:15 PM
@Ilyas very well said. Suspense is killing me! I also want to hear what medium sized animals were brought down by the mighty 22 lr.

Salahuddin Ayubi
16-03-2010, 02:16 PM
@Ilyas very well said. Suspense is killing me! I also want to hear what medium sized animals were brought down by the mighty 22 lr.

Same here.

Kamranwali
16-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Dear Viking,

I read an article somewhere that said "there is no single perfect rifle for everything. But if anything comes close to the all round rifle, it has to be the .30-06"

The only problem with .30-06 is that at long ranges the bullet drop is high, but thats nothing a little practice can't help. Which, by the way is true for any weapon in any calibre.

The .30-06 is a round with more than a 100 years of service and is still one of the most favourite rounds in the world.

There are a lot of good rounds out there, with better ballistics than the .30-06, but the .30-06 is a round that has more factory loads than any round. This gives you a large variety of different ballistics that you can use for different game.

My vote is the .30-06. But thats my opinion (alongwith a lot of other people in the world :)), i dont know abt the rest of PG.

It is for you to decide in the end i guess.
Take care.

Monir
18-03-2010, 11:33 PM
oh wow this got the thread quite interesting ... Some very honourable replies and from which I will learn a lot.

I was trying to be general and to be honest I should have been a little more objective in my reply. I have learned an important lesson from this posting of mine.

I mainly hunt rabbit, fox, deer, elk, farm animals and the like. Almost always in UK and here in Pakistan over the last 2 years I have only really been exposed to rabbit, wood pigeon, pheasant, partridge and hog (some I rather not mention !). I am working my way up the ladder in size but its not the size that keeps my blood racing ..

I have a unique Alpine TPG1 ... http://www.tacticalthreshold.com/unique-alpine.html ... I bought it for my 1000 yards + field traget shooting at Bisley (NRA) .. the same I used on a poor rabbit once and all I can say I promise never to do that again .. its not fair game it made quite a mess by the river bank.

The only thing I did not add to the above write up was ... No matter what calibre you choose it will never compensate for a good targeted shot to the vital organs. Lets all remeber the suffering we can potentially cause an animal if we just wound it and it gets away, perhaps I am a little soft here but I rather take my time and make a 1 shot kill, I have wonded animals and they have gotten away only to suffer a slow and painful death out of my site ( worse I go home empty handed)

Please tell me what I cant take down at say 100 - 200 yards with a .22LR hollow point bullet around 40 grains ( we are being practical small to medium size - sorry medium for me is around a sheep / hog )

Sorry this is just my 2 pence worth, from personal experience and I respect other views, I will always suggest searching the forum and asking as many questions as possible ...

Can I say sorry and look up now again master gee .... :)

Skeeter60
19-03-2010, 10:45 AM
A .22 HP or solid is only effective due to trajectory and wind deflection at a range of about 90 yds or so , one could stretch it a bit with hold over; but all you should shoot with it is a medium sized rabbit and nothing bigger.

If you shoot at a wild boar with a 22 while the boars are driven or beaten it can turn into a great education.

Please tell us about the 1000 yd long range shooting at Bisely, and what bullets and powder you use; and some technical tips for enhancing accuracy

HasanJamshad
19-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Please tell me what I cant take down at say 100 - 200 yards with a .22LR hollow point bullet around 40 grains ( we are being practical small to medium size - sorry medium for me is around a sheep / hog )

Sir keeping in mind the Bullet trajectory and terminal ballistics in my opinion one cannot take down any game at these ranges. If we want to hunt small game like rabits, ducks, squirrals etc we need a tight MPBR(Maximum Point Blank Range) of 1.5" keeping in mind the small size of the game. This sugegsts the range of the bullet upto 70-75YDS. If we want to try this on medium size game like fox, Jackal etc even then killing zone of these animals dosen't permit a MPBR of more than 3". This restricts the hunting range upto 100Yds. So, trajectory of the bullet dosent look practical beyond 100Yds even we forget the hitting power of the bullet at that range.
This is my humble opinion and i am open to learn from friends.
Regards:

Skeeter60
19-03-2010, 05:22 PM
@ HJ +1++ Very well said

Gilani
19-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Very informative :)

ChocTalpur
20-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, there's no point commenting on the posts by gurus like Skeeter60 and HasanJamshed, on a personal note, i recommend 7mm Winchester for small to medium game in Pakistan being fairly potent, easily available from almost everywhere, ... relatively cheap. Haven't tried that on bigger game like Himalayan Ibex or Markhor, although I believe they could be brought down given hunter's skill as one of major parameters.

Regards.

Kamranwali
20-03-2010, 12:56 PM
A little help

http://www.petersenshunting.com/content/all-around-rifle

Please read.

Regards.

Munir
21-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Mr. Monir, who belongs to that rarefied realm of shooters with experience of shooting at a 1000 meters, eulogizes the .22LR and finds it adequate for thin skinned, medium sized game beyond 100 meters. I find Skeeter60 Sb., an avid hunter and experienced shooter, skeptical. HJ, an accomplished rifleman with a strong technical base also sounds incredulous about the potency of .22LR.
Personally I am handicapped and canít claim to belong to this league. I can only say that with a rifle I am a decent shot. But, I have seen some incredible shots being taken with a .22, even a flying kite was brought down, but these were all at the range of 60-80 meters, nothing beyond 100. EXCEPT for one shot!! I must here narrate the story of that ONE shot which may shed some light on the lethal range of a .22.
This shot was taken by a friend at a range of approximately 150 meters at least at something which was emitting highly offensive sounds during one of this winterís night. The rifle was equipped with a scope. It was a case of Ďone shot-one kill.í In the dead of the night, a shot rang out and the sounds abruptly ceased. It was only after a couple of days that the loudspeaker (of the marriage hall) was replaced and the sounds started again.
Now that speaks out loud about the lethality and accuracy of a high velocity .22 round well beyond 100 meters.
I often wonder what the ballisticians would say about the shot. Well, it did bring down a steel skinned intruder at 150 meters!
MUNIR

HasanJamshad
22-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I often wonder what the ballisticians would say about the shot. Well, it did bring down a steel skinned intruder at 150 meters!
MUNIR

Sir, i am amazed, rather thrilled by this shot of your friend. I am an optimist and readily believe everything that comes from a friend. I am just posting ballistic data here for the friends to get a feel that how difficult that shot was.

Here are some assumptions, as i am not aware of the real shooting conditions, although i am keeping things near to normal.

1- Rifle had a 50M zero.
2- There was a 10MPH cross wind.
3- Scope mounted 1.5" high

Ballistics for 31grain Hyper velocity solid/HP 1430f/sec.

At 150Yds:
Velocity 951f/sec
Energy 62f.lb
Wind drifit 15.1"
Bullet Trajectory -17.1

Ballistics for 40 grain High velocity solid/HP 1240f/sec.

At 150Yds:

Velocity 943f/sec
Energy 79f.lb
Wind drift 10.9"
Bullet Trajectory -19.8"

Sir this is from the Ballisticians :) . I am sure your friend is an experienced long range shooter who has a thorough knowledge of bullets trajectory and ability to get results from his knowledge. Anyone who has the ability to compensate such steep bullet drop and wide drift at these ranges can take such shots. I admit i can't take such shots.

(Ballistics Data taken from Fedral 2010 Ammunition and Ballistics Catalog)

PrivateEye
23-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Amazing Shot that must be Sir! Really unbelievable.

Skeeter60
23-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Mr Munir
I found your account most interesting and enjoyed the part about assassination of the aluminum armoured devil singing silly songs from the marriage hall.

Denovo87
23-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I also had a chance to hit & put to silence this devil once using my .22 with iron sights but neither the range was that far (was about 50 yrds infact) nor it was put on a marrige hall roof :)

MIdreesTaj
23-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Nice discussion going on...
.22 LR 40 grain standard velocity load. Max point blank range is well under 80M to stay with in 3 inches of target's vital zone. Hunting small animals like rabbit moles and squirrels etc the kill zone will be lesser as much as half of it e.g squirred is not even 3 inch wide on thickest parts of its body. Say 1.5" clean kill zone (humane dispatch) the range would drop to 40M. Beyond that would be all compensation with computerized table/software or published data of specific load more commonly. Which is a sniper task I think or simply an expert job. Respect to all experts who do this and more power to them :)
I read somewhere to always use enough gun...

Skeeter60
23-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I also had a chance to hit & put to silence this devil once using my .22 with iron sights but neither the range was that far (was about 50 yrds infact) nor it was put on a marrige hall roof :)

yes we know it was on a local circus

Munir
23-03-2010, 11:25 PM
HJ's quote " I admit I can't take such shots"

Believe me, its out of modesty that HJ says so because I know that holding over/under is never
a problem. All hunters resort to such antics and quite successfully. Its the cross wind that's the
killer. Skeeter sb and Mr. Monir will bear me out as they are both experienced long range shooters.
Assuming that at the time, the wind was either head or tail, the effect would be negligible.

My estimation of 150m (450 feet roughly) is based on the following:-

Clearing the house premises 50 feet
Clearing road in front 50 "
Clearing two 2-kanal plots (125x2) 250 "
Clearing a wide main road 120 "
Clearing a few small houses before the
target 100 "

I can't divulge any more details otherwise the shooter will come up spluttering on the net and
shouting "I didn't do it" and give himself away.

Now of course I am interested in knowing the animals taken out by Monir sb., but, as a student, I am really interested in various techniques (bullet/powder selection, marksmanship etc.,) being used by
Monir sb., for 1000m shoots.

Munir

Gilani
23-03-2010, 11:39 PM
There is so much to learn in this wonderful hobby. Thanks everyone for the knowledgeable input.

Castro
24-03-2010, 01:12 AM
1000m from a .22lr is one unique example of marksmanship.

P.S. This is the most polite internet forum, I witnessed...

PrivateEye
24-03-2010, 01:34 AM

this comment of yours, kind of made us proud
but credit goes to one who controls it :)

Castro
24-03-2010, 01:51 AM

this comment of yours, kind of made us proud
but credit goes to one who controls it :)

No doubt about it, the moderator and admin deserves a salute.

Skeeter60
24-03-2010, 04:14 AM
@Monir
I am waiting to hear more about your TPG or was it your freinds you borrowed to nuke the rabbit by the riverside. Tell us its caliber and more of your hunting with the 22 RF.
We have been talking so much tech stuff we now need to relax.

HasanJamshad
24-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Sir Munir Wrote:

...............I know that holding over/under is never
a problem. All hunters resort to such antics and quite successfully.

Sir, rightly said. Holding over/under is not a problem for an experienced hunter/shooter and at the same time to make the task simpler there are different types of raticles available that give very close approximation for bullet drop compensation for any given caliber. I my self have Burris Balistic Plex raticle.
My inability was for one shot one kill, with an under powered bullet at an overstreched range confronting most unfavourable conditions. A lucky shot can never be completely rejected as we hear such unbelieveable stories time to time from fellow hunters/shooters. I know a friend who (claimed so) killed a Koyote at 200yds with a 22wmr. The rifle was Anschutz 1516 mounted with a Zeiss scope. That friend produced a witness of the hunt too :) . Although, witness was of the view that bullet could have ricochet from the ground around 165yds :D and then hit the koyote.
Regards:

GatlinGun
07-04-2010, 07:00 AM

Only because it is not a democracy, thankfully.

Omkhan
07-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Only because it is not a democracy, thankfully.

Very well said.

Viking
07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
HELLO every one yaar i ask k i confuse between .270 .308 .30-06 .243 these caliber na k .22 so plz stay on topic n share your experience n knowledge to help me n others

Salahuddin Ayubi
07-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Viking,

Let's start with your intended use? Kis cheez kay liyay primarily use karna hay?

GatlinGun
07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
HELLO every one yaar i ask k i confuse between .270 .308 .30-06 .243 these caliber na k .22 so plz stay on topic n share your experience n knowledge to help me n others

I will make it simple for you, or maybe I will confuse you even further:

Are you loaded (with money), or are you not loaded?

have your answer? Good, are you in Karachi? Yes, good, moving forward:

Do you have an MOI already? Good:

For practicing your aim: go for .22, bolt action rifle, as you can never be wrong. Best shooting one can do and learn is on this one, and in a decent budget.

When you ready to drop some fur(no pun intended), when it comes to weapons buy a 7mm if you are a beginner, .308 if you have money to throw away on the gun, and 30 06 if you want to stand apart, and .243 if you are an elitist, Buy a combination of any of the 2 or 3 if you have nothing to do, and want to play with your gun all the time (again no pun intended).

That said, whichever guns you have, buy as much ammo as you can (this one is a serious advice), and then yalla yalla, you are a rifle owner.

Now drive your self crazy over optics, gun covers, slings, butt pads (for the gun, not for yourself), and gun boxes, locks, and ofcourse:::

TAKE a lot of pictures for all of us to enjoy...

Best of Luck.

GG

Kakar
07-04-2010, 09:47 PM
GG.. tussi great ho... advice ki advice, humour ka humour. Finally had a laugh after a long hectic day..

GatlinGun
07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
GG.. tussi great ho... advice ki advice, humour ka humour. Finally had a laugh after a long hectic day..

Char Dinna dee zindagi, thora khalay peelay mouj urraaa:::

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope the humor part is used more by us, as it lightens up most people. For all others, we have our buddy Chivaz...

PrivateEye
08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Nice bunch of advices GG! .. enjoyed it :)
would you please explain that 30-06 and .243 part?

Viking
08-04-2010, 03:01 AM
@Salahuddin Ayubi
AOA well, I do have to use it for hunting purpose, but I don't have much experience in big game. Father hasn't allowed me yet to buy expensive guns, so I'm hoping to get a gun around 60,000-90,000. Suggest me a bore that could be used as an all rounder or for all purpose because I'm hoping to use it for like 5 years or so or until and unless, I don't start earning. After reading, skeeter60's post, I have narrowed down my list to 30-06 and 7mm rem mag but personally, I like 30-06 but what about it's ammo and rifle availability, does anyone know? one more thig brno 30-06 is available in pak ?

Viking
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Bump

GatlinGun
10-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Nice bunch of advices GG! .. enjoyed it :)
would you please explain that 30-06 and .243 part?

How can I explain non-objective, corny, sarcastic, and baseless opinion any further? They are just fillers, I am a 7mm gunner.

Hope you become one too, a 7mmer...

Cheers.

Viking
10-04-2010, 04:55 AM
@GG
bro do u know about 7mm reg mag ammo and rifle availability

GatlinGun
10-04-2010, 05:16 AM
@GG
bro do u know about 7mm reg mag ammo and rifle availability

Yes, three types of Rifles are available: BSA, Parker hale, and BRNO. In the three, BRNO seems the nicest, though BSA and Parker Hale are by no means inferior, only the stock is Pakistani, so a bit heavier. Prices are 20 K to 55 k.

Ammo is also available, but mostly Serbian or Winchester, the game loads are below 150 gr and heavy loads are greater than 150 gr. Ammo is 150 to 300, depending on who you get swindled by.

If you need any further help, I would be glad to assist.

Best wishes,

GG

Viking
10-04-2010, 05:52 AM
@GG
r u sure bro i m asking about 7mm reg MAG not a simple 7mm reg ager aisa hai to final hogaya 7mm reg mag he aai ge INSHALLAH :D

12GAUGE
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM

I will make it simple for you, or maybe I will confuse you even further:

Are you loaded (with money), or are you not loaded?

have your answer? Good, are you in Karachi? Yes, good, moving forward:

Do you have an MOI already? Good:

For practicing your aim: go for .22, bolt action rifle, as you can never be wrong. Best shooting one can do and learn is on this one, and in a decent budget.

When you ready to drop some fur(no pun intended), when it comes to weapons buy a 7mm if you are a beginner, .308 if you have money to throw away on the gun, and 30 06 if you want to stand apart, and .243 if you are an elitist, Buy a combination of any of the 2 or 3 if you have nothing to do, and want to play with your gun all the time (again no pun intended).

That said, whichever guns you have, buy as much ammo as you can (this one is a serious advice), and then yalla yalla, you are a rifle owner.

Now drive your self crazy over optics, gun covers, slings, butt pads (for the gun, not for yourself), and gun boxes, locks, and ofcourse:::

TAKE a lot of pictures for all of us to enjoy...

Best of Luck.

GG

this is probably the best advise on becoming a rifle shooter on this forum so far. good job GG
literally, u've practically made me long for a rifle now.

Regards.

p.s. but u know its not gonna stick cause I believe in multiple projectiles instead of one ;)

Salahuddin Ayubi
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
@ GG,

TTRYP

Treat to read your post. :)

GatlinGun
10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
@ GG,

TTRYP

Treat to read your post. :)

I am trying my best to bring some safe humor to the forum, without offending anyone hopefully.

GatlinGun
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
this is probably the best advise on becoming a rifle shooter on this forum so far. good job GG
literally, u've practically made me long for a rifle now.

Regards.

p.s. but u know its not gonna stick cause I believe in multiple projectiles instead of one ;)

For that you need a gatling gun, but it would become a PB.

francolino
14-01-2011, 10:02 PM
@ Viking

Out of the calibers you mentioned only the 270 and good old 30-06 are good for mountain big game you mentioned.
The reasons are the ranges can be from a 100 yds to well over 300 yds. The wind will be very strong in the mountains and the Himalayan Ibex and the Markhore need to be stopped before they climb a cliff or get into a cave to die undetected as these are big and strong animals. So you need a flat trajectory, ability to deviate less from wind and enough bullet weight and energy to bring the animal down keep him anchored.
243 loses energy beyond 200 yds and is very sensitive to wind, and is too small a caliber for markhore and Himalayan Ibex. The 308 is lethal but the trajectory does not make it an ideal long range HUNTING caliber, unless one is equipped as a sniper and trained as one with a laser range finder, Compensating sniper scope and all; therefore withe normal hunting gear the following cailbers are ideal for the animals you mentioned and will not go wrong with any of these.

7mm Magnum (Rem, and or Weatherby)
270 win
30-06
280 Rem
7 x 64 Brenneke
300 Win Mag
7 x 61
300 Weatherby Mag
I have used all these to great effect and I am a great lover of the 7mm Rem Magnum and the 30-06 (specially when hand loaded with 165 gr Nosler bullets )

@Skeeter, sir very practical and useful info ... and @GG, bro nice humour with good recomm too. Do you have any approximate idea about 30-06 Winchester 165 grains (pointed soft nose & related) bullet, 7x57 Mauser 145 grains Winchester Powerpoint (PSP & related), 270 Win 130 grains (PSP or related) and lastly 7mm Rem Mag 150 grains (PSP & related) price currently in market??

Haider
15-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Amazing info guys...... i ve personally shot few bores(Small-Medium sized) in hawailian with .22 between 30 to 80 yards..... but they were shot either in eye or in ears and it gives you a clean kill....

I personally love .308 because i have used it a lot in maryland.... 165 premium factory loads gives u enough power and accuracy for a clean kill between 100 to 300 yrd.... anything above that is over stretching i think.

GG made it very simple, its fun to own a rifle.... use different loads with different powder and see what they do from 50 to 300 yrds.....

Personally, in Pakistan, i think 7mm or 7mm Mag should be the choice because the rounds are cheap and gives you enough room to play with ur toy.... just focus on buying a good make, once you get the rifle, a whole new world is waiting for you in terms of matching the ballistics your rifle loves/ scope with which you feel comfortable.....

Once you get the rifle and before choosing the weight/ballistic type, please note that each rifle may or will shoot different ammos differently, so you cannot depend on what a friend's rifle does with a particular ammo. The only way to find out which cartridge your rifle likes, take different available ammo to the range and test it in groups of at least 8-10 rounds per type of ammo, ppl may do it differently but it works for me. Always slow fire ….. means that u should allow about 10 + min between each fire, this is to ensure that ur always firing thru a cool barrel. fire 2 to 5 rounds first before going into the grouping to clear oils/lubricants because first few rounds will fly and will give different groups.8-10 rounds will give you a good idea how that particular type of ammo will act in your rifle. Once you determine which brand of ammo groups the best, fire at various ranges out to at least 400 yards to break thru/know your gun/scope……