PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Box Magazine Fed Shotguns

AK47
06-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Salaams! Had a very nice and lengthy talk with Denovo bro last night, and one of the issues was the Box type magazines that come with shotguns like SAIGA 12, VALTRO PM5, BENELLI M4, etc.

I would like to invite a discussion on shotguns with these mags as compared to those with traditional tubes. How many of you have been using shotguns with these mags and how do you rate them overall?

It's a common saying that reliability of feeding with these mags is low, and that the tubular feeding is preferred. If any of you have used this type of a shotgun, Saiga 12 etc or the like, plz comment, it's needed. Thanks.

@12 Gauge bro.........You're specially invited! :)

Bear in mind plz, do segregate your opinion between "desi" mags and imported. I need info on the imported ones only. :)

Rotorcrafts
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
According to my Knowledge the Benelli M4 doesnot come with box magazine and A55kika has a Saiga 12 but he is banned now i think :|

AK47
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
@Rotorcrafts...........Heck you're right, I am wrong with The Benelli above, indeed, it's the SAIGA 12 and VALTRO only!

Guyz, accept my correction above, now let's hear something about the box fed ones. I believe Ed bro got the Valtro type, just can't remember if it was genuine or local, nor how vastly he has used it to comment on reliability. Ed?

Anthrax
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
ED has a Saiga12 clone. The drum mag comes with Saiga12, Valtro and AA12.

Denovo87
06-02-2010, 08:59 PM
And I remember ED wrote some review aswell putting all the blames on ammo :)

AK47
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Ed's away since days, but just in my pursuit for some facts, found these interesting lines, in an article about the Saiga 12:

Another problem stems from the fact that shotgun rounds are naturally more flexible than rifle rounds. When a loaded magazine is left inside the weapon for more than a few days, the top round of ammunition tends to become deformed from having the magazine spring squeeze it against the closed bolt. This can cause a failure to feed if a loaded magazine is left in the weapon for an extended period of time.

Den, feel you were right yesterday bro! Just don't know if this applies to all box fed or only the Saiga 12?

Mitho
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
seen norinco pump action with box magazines

Topak
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
i will go for tube magazine..due to simple and fast loading of cartridges

Syed Rehmat
08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
i think the tube magazine guns are perfect, they are to load even when they have some cartriges in the tube. you never run out of ammo.
but in the box mag you have to reload it in your free time, & extra box mag is also vulnerable to take with.
and intresting fact is that its very hard to feed. really.
do you want more inf..?

regards
syed

Yardie Jutt
08-02-2010, 10:56 PM
the other day we had saiga 12 clone(a good one)....it also came across a few FTFs in firing SG cartridges, while it fired 4 no round perfectly in an array :)
but i would agree...pump has more of a X factor :D

Enigmatic Desires
09-02-2010, 02:38 AM
ED`s voltro clone works fine with anything other then Sunshine SGs.. how ever his box magazine leaves a lot to be desired..he generaly does`nt load it beyond 5 rounds..

KageFox
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I saw an article in one of the gun magazines on the mag-fed Saiga 12. The main complaint was that the magazine was pretty difficult to load to full capacity, and unless a second loaded mag is available, quick reloads were next to impossible.

Box-fed shotguns are an interesting concept, which have worked, but for the time being, the traditional tube-fed weapons would be considered faster and more reliable... just my own opinion...

Enigmatic Desires
16-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Box-fed shotguns are an interesting concept, which have worked, but for the time being, the traditional tube-fed weapons would be considered faster and more reliable... just my own opinion...

Waisay now that I have fooled around enough with the box types. I think i`ll get a tube one