PDA

View Full Version : Range Review:Taurus PT99

Gilani
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
To start with, I would only say what a gun :P. Always wanted to have a 92FS but :(. This one is just like 92FS, is beautifully made and very accurate. I have the one in stainless finish.
Here are the specs:
Model Name: Taurus PT99 AFS
Caliber: 9 mm parabellum
Capacity: 15 rounds. The box contained a 17 rounds magazine as well but I got it replaced with a 15 rd mag.
Barrel Length: 125 mm
Total Length: 217 mm
Weight: 950 gm
Safety Devices: Firing pin block, external safety latch, Decock lever, loaded chamber indicator.
Sight: Adjustable rear and fixed front sights

Here are few pics
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5324.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5327.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5318.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5319.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5276.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5280.jpg

Have so far fired over 300 rounds of Chinese and POF2Z ammo with my PT99. Here are some of the results..............
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5243.jpg
Distance 15 M, Ammo Chinese blue box, 10 rounds. The target bull is 4 cm diameter (1.6 inches) and distance between subsequent lines is 2 cm (0.8 inch). In the beginning the gun was consistently shooting short for the range though line was ok.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5258.jpg
Distance 15 M. Ammo POF2Z, fired 24 rounds. Adjusted the sight after first few shots and voila :D. You can see a big hole just below the bull (and bull in this target is smaller than the standard bull).

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5217.jpg
Rapid fire from 25 m. Ammo POF2Z, fired 24 rounds in 12 seconds (incl time for changing the mag).

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5263.jpg
Dist 25 M. Ammo POF2Z. Fired 10 rounds each from Taurus PT99 and CZ999 Scorpion (CZ99 bullets marked in blue circles). PT99 seems to be comfortably winning at 25 m, hitting the bull on many occasions (the difference was not much at 15 m).

OBSERVATIONS
- Not even a single stoppage in over 300 rounds.
- Very less recoil.
- Very accurate. Adjustable sights give a tremendous advantage of zeroing the handgun. Moreover, less width of front size tip assists in accurate aiming.
- The grip is just ok, could have been better.
- For its size (which is quite large), the gun has surprisingly less weight. The frame is made of very light alloy. (CZ999 scorpion and PT99 has almost same weight but a huge difference in size).
- Convenient field stripping and assembling, noting technical about it.
- Due to its size, the gun is not suitable for carrying. Not a gun for someone who has to keep only one gun for SD and is in habit of carrying it on person also.
- A very suitable gun for range and competition shooting in this price range.
- Magazines are of good quality.

CONCLUSION
If you need a gun for target shooting, this is an excellent choice in this price range. If you are looking for an SD gun which would be carried also, look for something else. This gun has not been made for that purpose probably. (No problems, however, for personals from LEAs for carrying the gun with uniform using belt or thigh holster).

The above views are based on firing just 300 rounds (which in my view are not enough to have indepth practical knowledge of a weapon) and are by no means an expert's comment on PT99.

Finally, I loved shooting with it on the range and love looking at it in my room :D
regards

Denovo87
05-02-2010, 11:06 PM
So it was the ammo BARBADEE day :D really nice to see the results, I am sorry but these are far better than CZ999's and till 15 meters POI is very straight (windage) unlike cz999. One more request PLEASE SAVE SOME AMMO FOR MY VISIT ;)

Gilani
05-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Denovo sahib, you are right. PT99 seems to me more accurate than CZ999, specially at 25 meters and more. But than, we should not compare these two handguns as they are in different categories. CZ999 is more of a combat gun whereas PT99 is more of a range gun. I am happy with both, one on the range and other in the holster. Just my opinion. ;)

Dont you worry about the ammo Sir :D
regards

Anthrax
05-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Great range report once again, Gilani Saab! You're definitely on a roll! :cool:

By the way, I forgot to mention this in your previous report, you've got some SERIOUS photography skills!

A.Abbas
05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Gilani, impressive result, especially the second target. excellent

Maximus
05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Gillanisb, impressive grouping. looks like the cf98 has found a elder brother to look up to. seems to be your next best choice for the range. and i`d have to agree that this pistol is just too big to be lugged around other than range use.

Gilani
05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Anthrax, A.Abbas, thanks a lot bro :)

Gilani
05-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Gillanisb, impressive grouping. looks like the cf98 has found a elder brother to look up to. seems to be your next best choice for the range.
Maximus bro, unless I get something like Sig P226 X6 or X5 or HK Mk23 or Glock 34 etc, PT99 will stay to be my choice range pistol. Thanks for the comments :)

KageFox
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Once again, the reliability of the PT99 has been proved... btw, nice shooting! This is pretty accurate :)

X_TATIK_GUNNER
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
salaams to all
Gilani bro ... very nice shooting .. specially from 25 mtrs 24 shots in 12 secs .... very very nice target ... btw y have u hidden the serial number of ur pistol in the pics ...... any specific reason ...... may i know plz ?????:)

Gilani
05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
salaams to all
Gilani bro ... very nice shooting .. specially from 25 mtrs 24 shots in 12 secs .... very very nice target ... btw y have u hidden the serial number of ur pistol in the pics ...... any specific reason ...... may i know plz ?????:)
Thanks for the comments bro. As for hiding the serial number in the pic, this is what the seniors advise on the forum :).
regards

X_TATIK_GUNNER
05-02-2010, 11:42 PM
salaams to all
any specific reason ......... ??????

Gilani
05-02-2010, 11:46 PM
salaams to all
any specific reason ......... ??????
Possible misuse of the weapon serial number, Sir.

Sami
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
A.S.A, Dear congratulations. Very good report elaborated the features and results comprehensively.It is indeed a beautiful peace.Keep it up and do share with us as I am also fan of Beretta design and will consider having this peace.Thanks for sharing. A-H

Gilani
06-02-2010, 12:38 AM
@KageFox
@Stigma
Thanks a lot Sir

Taurus
06-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Good Range Report Gilani really appreciate your beautiful addition and yeah it is best for the range i only use this pistol for my range and its the best for Range use!!!

AK47
06-02-2010, 01:07 AM
@Gilani Sb....Salaams! Thanks for continued active inputs, Sir, really appreciate these occasional "mini-reviews", feel that we need these more often. Thanks for the share, the 92fs/PT 99 indeed a sharp-shooting reliable piece of well-engineered hardware.

Have only shot it once, that too at night, was amazed, never thought I had any shooting skills!

As for me, I personally like shooting at max 15 yards, mostly only 10, believing that's an appropriate range for practicing SD, since most SD situations are rarely beyond this range. Your results at 25 mtrs are quite impressive anyhow. Keep it up, Sir, well done!

Gilani
06-02-2010, 07:28 AM
@Taurus: Thanks for the comments Sir

@AK47: Thanks for the comments Sir. As for shooting from 10 or 15 yds, I agree that this normally would be the range if ever we need to fire for SD/HD. Previously, I also used to do the same. 25 yards is actually quite a range for pistol shooting and its quite difficult to shoot a normal pistol accurately from that range. However, target or competition shooting is different and our shooting expert Skeeter60 sahib advocates shooting from 25 yds.

After carrying out shooting practice as advised by Skeeter60 sahib in Competitive Shooting thread, I have realised that I used to waste lot of ammo in firing without a plan / purpose, just for the hack of it. Every round that we fire must be with a purpose and in target shooting it is hitting the bull. Moreover, if one practices from 25 yds, firing accurately from 10 or 15 yrds would be peanuts :)

regards

Malik1
06-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Good Shooting again :) , and , my observation remains the same again. Why don,t you try what Denovo Shaib told you. Give it a try and see the results. If not working you can continue with your improvement of trigger control.

And last but not the least, I,m waiting eagerly for the fish :)

Yardie Jutt
06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
very comprehending review Gillani sb...this was the first pistol i ever shot at LRC of Abbas bhai, and for a minute i thought it as 92FS :P
BTW i would agree with Anthrax for your photography :)

Gilani
06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Good Shooting again :) , and , my observation remains the same again. Why don,t you try what Denovo Shaib told you. Give it a try and see the results. If not working you can continue with your improvement of trigger control.

And last but not the least, I,m waiting eagerly for the fish :)

Sir, your observation remains the same because the photo also remains the same :) Now that's called consistency :D

You are right, with CZ999 I was shooting mostly on the left but with PT99, there is no problem with line as you can see in all pics. It was shooting low but I adjusted the sights and it was shooting right in the bull. As for changing the firing arm, Sir, you understand its very difficult to change the firing arm without putting in a concerted effort. And I would like to put in that much of effort in improving my trigger control which is the most important thing in pistol shooting. Thanks for your comments Sir.

As for the fish, went in the morning for the same but it was so freezing cold and windy with light rain that I had to call off my fishing session at 1000 hrs. I think I will have to wait for the weather to get a little warm, may be another week or fortnight. In the meanwhile I will try to explore other options :)

Gilani
06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
@Yardie Jatt: Thanks for the comments Sir :)

SPAYPANTHER
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
@ gilani

i also own a pt99 but not geting such beautifull rizelts... may i am not able to adjest tha sight so plz guide me about the adjustmint of it...

Gilani
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
@ gilani

i also own a pt99 but not geting such beautifull rizelts... may i am not able to adjest tha sight so plz guide me about the adjustmint of it...
@Spaypanther
Two adjustment screws are there on the rear sight, one for the line and the other is for range. See the MPI of group of at least 5 rounds and accordingly adjust the screws with a screw driver. Fire another five rounds and see the MPI. Make further adjustments if required and keep doing this till MPI is in the center of the target

Skeeter60
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
24 shots ( 9mm ) in 12 seconds including a change of magazine; and shooting is good. Was it two handed?
I must congratulate you as this is a very difficult thing to do, I suggest when you want to train in Rapid fire at 25 m use the bigger Rapid Fire Target with a 4 inch 10 ring and the subsequent rings are 2 inches bigger and the black aiming mark is about 20 inches in diameter. One is supposed to shoot with one hand but for informal or combat training both one and two hand grip should be used, including a bit of weak hand training.
Train on 5 shots at a time progressing from 10seconds to 6 seconds with one hand and from 8 to 4 seconds with both hands (5 shots )

Gilani
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM
24 shots ( 9mm ) in 12 seconds including a change of magazine; and shooting is good. Was it two handed?
I must congratulate you as this is a very difficult thing to do, I suggest when you want to train in Rapid fire at 25 m use the bigger Rapid Fire Target with a 4 inch 10 ring and the subsequent rings are 2 inches bigger and the black aiming mark is about 20 inches in diameter. One is supposed to shoot with one hand but for informal or combat training both one and two hand grip should be used, including a bit of weak hand training.
Train on 5 shots at a time progressing from 10seconds to 6 seconds with one hand and from 8 to 4 seconds with both hands (5 shots )
Thanks a lot Sir. Your advice has always been of great help. :)
I shot with two hands. Nowadays I am concentrating on deliberate fire from 15 M and following the tips given by you in the Competitive Shooting thread. I feel there is a definite improvement. I did this rapid fire for testing a new gun. This one was a good result but the second rapid fire was not good at all with some of the bullets all together missing the target. But as I said, I am concentrating on deliberate fire nowadays from 15 M. Will mov on to 25 M in next phase and then on to rapid fire.

Thanks for your kind advice, again :)

Naveed_pk
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Good Range Report Gilani Sir.. I must say :) ... Nice shhoting and pics also... ;)

Gilani
06-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks Naveed sahib and cograts on your appt as Official Photographer :)

Naveed_pk
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Sir thanks a lot :)

Gilani
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
the 92fs/PT 99 indeed a sharp-shooting reliable piece of well-engineered hardware.

AK 47 Sir, had a chat with Denovo sahib today and he was also very impressed with PT99/92 and apparently, these guns are high on his buying list :D
However, I must clarify the actual position here. My PT99 was not firing very accurate in the beginning (it was ok). Since it had adjustable sights, I was able to zero the gun and then it was firing brilliantly. The point I want to make is that the same facility is not available in PT92 (it has fixed sights). Therefore, if one is looking for a range gun, he should go for PT 99 and not for PT92 which has factory adjusted fixed sights, which may not be as per the liking of the firer. :)

In fact in firing an NIB gun, I found CZ999 Scorpion more accurate than Taurus PT99 :).

Dr Hanif Malik
06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
@gilani sahib,realy chaha gay ho,keep it up:)

AK47
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
@Gilani Sb......Thanks Sir for the info, you're right the PT 99 is the preferred one, even think they should withdraw the PT 92fs now.

Well, as regards the CZ, have never held or tried it, yet I'm amazed if with a shorter barrel length than the Taurus, it really performs better than the PT 99, out of box!

Overall, I feel the wonders about the PT 99/92fs, mainly are due to it's large and "balanced" frame that just kind of a way "absorbs" the recoil in such a manner that it automatically leads to a sharper shooting. Same kind of large and "balanced" frame do we find with the 1911 model, which, in cal .45 also is one precision gun, though the heavy recoil is for the more experienced shooter to properly control. Both are classical models, indeed and will for sure last another century, perhaps.

Gilani
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Ak 47 Sir, I fully agree. Beretta 92fs is a very solid frame for range shooting and any handgun based on this design is bound to produce better results.

As for CZ999 Scorpion, I believe its the No 1 pistol available in Pakistan in this price range. IMHO, in quality and reliability, it can match any top of the line pistol in 500-600 $ range (for detail shooting results, please see Abbas sahib's CZ999 Scorpion thread).
regards

Malik1
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Gilani excuse me for the wrong thread and wrong question with the wrong man (As far as thread is concerned but actually the right man) :)

Denovo Sahib, you have a .357 Mag of Taurus. I am interested since long in buying it but am reluctant due to absence of positive feed back. I am interested in the one with silver frame, like you have. If you can put me wise on a few aspects:-
a. Does this silver colour start to show burn marks which look ugly in cosmetics.
b. Is it difficult to shoot with a long barrel (6inches and plus) and a standard grip as the center of gravity of the weapon would be heavily tilted towards muzzle side?
3. Do you require a support to fire from or you can easily shoot with both hands
4. I know it can shoot a .38 special but what about its actual ammo's availability and cost

My next trip to Lahore is likely to buy me either a CZ 999 or a Taurus ,357 Mag subject to your clearance. And if you do not clear I,m heavily tilted towards Viking rather than PT 99 :)

Denovo87
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Malik bro, the answers to best my knowlege & experience .357 mag,

a) Yes, .357mag rounds produce burn rings on the face of cylender, in silver/SS finish they are very visible obviously and these are there on very first round (around the fired cylender chamber) but these are removed with any good solvant & brush.

b) No, its not difficult than shooting any other handgun of the same calibre, with ported barrel recoil is very managable. In the balance section if you compare with the pistols yes being long barreled its "barrel heavy " but its very different & pleasant shooting this beast than a pistol.

c) As I wrote above it very managable no problem shooting without any support, even single handed shooting is nothing sort of dificult. You can shoot it as many ways as you can shoot a 9mm pistol.

d) Ammo is available (in Lahore atleast :) ) price starts from Rs.65 for Phillipine FMJ ball to Rs.250+ for US JHP's/heavier grain bullets.

.357mag round produces big deafening bang, quite a muzzel flash and you feel the gases escaping from cylender right on your face, this is the best part I like this gun for as this really makes you feel shooting some beast :)

bazkhan35
07-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Sorry if I am going off the topic or stealing the thread, because it is related to pt 99 thats why asking. As gilani bro said its not for SD is it realy imposible to CC?. Gilani and Sa bro owns it so what do say guys.

Because I love to have one but for CC.

Gilani
07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Sorry if I am going off the topic or stealing the thread, because it is related to pt 99 thats why asking. As gilani bro said its not for SD is it realy imposible to CC?. Gilani and Sa bro owns it so what do say guys.

Because I love to have one but for CC.
Sir, you are not at all stealing the thread, you have rather just brought it back to the right course :)

As for using Taurus PT99 as CC gun, its not impossible if you are wearing something like a great coat or desi chadar but the kind of dress we normally wear in Pakistan, it would be extremely difficult to conceal a PT99 I would say :)

Malik1
07-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Sir, ........................................... :)

As..........................................if you are wearing something like a great coat or desi chadar but the kind of dress we normally wear in Pakistan, it would be extremely difficult to conceal a PT99 I would say :)

Gilani! Yaar Chaddar to routine ka dress hy Pakistan mein but nowadays CHADAR ko dekhtey hee saray hoshiar ho jatay hein aur faslay say he poochna shuru kar detay hein. O kon hy bhai. CHADAR utar k agay aa :) Hence no CC in CHADAR also. The option is Great Coat only :)

@Denovo. Many thanks Sir

A.Abbas
07-02-2010, 01:31 AM

As..........................................if you are wearing something like a great coat or desi chadar but the kind of dress we normally wear in Pakistan, it would be extremely difficult to conceal a PT99 I would say :)

Gilani! Yaar Chaddar to routine ka dress hy Pakistan mein but nowadays CHADAR ko dekhtey hee saray hoshiar ho jatay hein aur faslay say he poochna shuru kar detay hein. O kon hy bhai. CHADAR utar k agay aa :) Hence no CC in CHADAR also. The option is Great Coat only :)

@Denovo. Many thanks Sir

Off topic though but relevant to CHADAR, few months back when security situation was tense, a friend in ISB told me that the question phrase of Police on the NAKAs for the most of beard persons was "Tussi Darood Waly Molvi oo key Barood Wally".

AK47
07-02-2010, 01:35 AM
@Malik1 sb..........Rightly pointed out above about the "chaader" issue. Also bear in mind, "pattu topi" blacklisted as well. :lol:

Heck, every time I drive through the P.O.F barriers here, I'm stopped and trunk of car checked, and when I remember to take it off, it's usually a straight unhindered drive! :lol:

Malik1
07-02-2010, 03:00 AM
AK47 Sb! I agree. ALLAH Pak hum sab ko apnee amaan me rakhay. Amin

bazkhan35
07-02-2010, 04:28 AM

@Denovo. Many thanks Sir

ohh this is a big problem my chaddar :rolleyes: , Anyways I ll be fine with Great coat :) .

Gilani
07-02-2010, 09:52 AM
:D :D Yes Chaddar is not safe nowadays. Gave an outdated example :)

But I still feel that PT99/92 is not a gun for conceal carry. We have many other better options available for that purpose.

By the way, sometimes the purpose is REVEAL CARRY. :) Like when I go fishing to far flung isolated places, I normally carry the gun on a thigh holster so that it is visible to the BG from a distance ;)

MIdreesTaj
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Technically on paper, this swinging block design is one accurate design followed by rotating barrel and finally tilt barrel design. Summarizing it up it IS a TACK DRIVER pistol...

One can imagine, with a desi copied swinging locking block, a 92 knock off I own, I manage to deliver this group with POF 2Z ammo, (lower) group is by a 999 in hands of my friend. Distance is 12 yards dead! (a ball pen placed for reference to group size)
http://s2.postimage.org/92N4i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts92N4i)

Gilani
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Technically on paper, this swinging block design is one accurate design followed by rotating barrel and finally tilt barrel design. Summarizing it up it IS a TACK DRIVER pistol...

One can imagine, with a desi copied swinging locking block, a 92 knock off I own, I manage to deliver this group with POF 2Z ammo, (lower) group is by a 999 in hands of my friend. Distance is 12 yards dead! (a ball pen placed for reference to group size)
http://s2.postimage.org/92N4i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts92N4i)

Nice group Idrees sahib. This 92fs clone of yours is quite accurate, one. Secondly, you are very good shot :)

Gilani
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Here are few pics from todays range session :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5331.jpg
Deliberate fire from 15 M. Ammo POF2Z, 10 rounds. Target is 40 cm across (16 inches). Yellow bull is 4 cm diameter (1.6 inches, which is smaller than the standard 5 cm or 2 inches bull), inner yellow bull is 2 cm (.8 inches). Subsequent coloured portions are 4 cm (1.6 inches) apart.

The first bullet hits right at the bottom, remaining nine bullets are in the centre.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5334.jpg
Same gun, target, ammo and distance. Fired another 10 rounds. Previous rounds are encircled in blue. All rounds in red ad yellow area, only one bullet going in black.

http://s2.postimage.org/94mR0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts94mR0)
Deliberate fire from 25 M. Ammo POF2Z, 10 rounds. Target is standard 2 inch (5 cm) bull and subsequent lines are 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Due to the size limitations of home printer, target has only been printed upto 5 points :). Bullets hitting below the target but within 7 points range. One bullet in the bull

http://s3.postimage.org/PeVp0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqPeVp0)
Another 10 rounds fired from the same distance. Adjusted the sight for range and line both and the last few bullets are over and right of the target. Gun still requires zeroing from 25 m though from 15 m, it is firing OK.

regards :)

Malik1
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Gilani! Well done. Nice shooting buddy.You have overcome that slight left problem. And now I need to tell your immediate boss that his undercommand are having lot of free time over weekends ;)

Gilani
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
And now I need to tell your immediate boss that his undercommand are having lot of free time over weekends ;)

And they are spending it in a very constructive activity :D ;)

Malik1
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I do not agree. This group is making me jealous :)

Gilani
07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Just come to Mangla on next weekend Sir and it will solve all the worries (fish, fire etc etc) :)

Denovo87
07-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Just come to Mangla on next weekend Sir and it will solve all the worries (fish, fire etc etc) :)

Can I join for etc etc ;)

Malik1
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Well said Denovo Sahib :)

MIdreesTaj
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
@Gilani; only one word.. Impressive!
I can see a 2 inch group at 15M in pic#1.. number of shots are many.. so after a few more shots group opened up. Nothing near bad, i mean really great shooting..
pic#2 shows a re-print... same but i think now a sub-2 inch, shows your technique is getting bit consistent..
Man I am feeling the need to practice too, as I am sure if handed me a pistol right now, I gonna show you what a flyer is! ;)
25 yard is good shot too.. but setting up sights confused the pattern a bit.. but I feel you are doing 3 inch group if you make your group a bit smaller number of shots wise.. i.e a 5 shot group

Gilani
07-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the comments Idrees sahib. Well, 3 inch group from 25 M would be quite difficult but one can try for the best. :)
regards

Gilani
12-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Wanted to check the long range accuracy of Taurus PT99 so fired it from 50 meters http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/rolleye/rolleye0005.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-fighting-smileys.php). The result was pretty ok. All 10 bullets hit within a 16 cm (6.4 inch) radius circle from 50 meters. Though there was no group and bullets were scattered all over the target but I though it was a satisfying result from 50 meters http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/cool/cool0003.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-aim-smileys.php)

Here are few pics .............

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5397.jpg
Distance 50 M, Ammo POF2Z, 10 rounds. Target is 16 cm (6.4 inch) radius. Inner black bull is 4 cm (1.6 inches) diameter and each subsequent line is 2 cm (0.8 inches) apart. Area upto shaded circle is 6 cm (2.4 inches) in radius. The bullets are scattered all over the target but still, all 10 bullets are within 16 cm (6.4 inches) circle. This was a satisfactory result for me from 50 meters.http://www.smileyhut.com/naughty/evil2.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5419.jpg
Distance 25 M, Ammo POF 2Z, 20 rounds. Fired 10 bullets (encircled in red colour) and than fired another 10. You can see bulk of the bullets hitting inside 10 cm (4 inches) circle and all 20 bullets hitting inside 16cm (6.4 inches) circle. One bullet on the top and the other at the extreme bottom is surely firers fault http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/ashamed/ashamed0002.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Though the overall result was quite satisfying but after having fired around 400 rounds, I expected the trigger to improve and become more crisp. PT99 trigger has not improved to my satisfaction; CZ999 has a far better trigger http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/winking/winking0020.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-tongue-smileys.php)

Naveed_pk
12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice review Gilani bro ... :) thanks for sharing.. why not u chk the Cz999 also from same distance

Denovo87
12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
That's one nice range report Gilani bro, 50 meters :o makes handgun owners feel more secure ;)

Gilani
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Denovo87 Sir, thanks.

Naveed_pk Sir, already done. Please see the CZ999 scorpion thread http://www.gashing.com/smile/cool/cool0044.gif (http://www.squidoo.com/scuba-diving-guide)

Sami
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
A.S.A, Thats great shooting from 50 M, For me I can't even focus on target from this distance. I fired 5 rounds at the same distance with only two landed on the target, on last G.T.G at Lahore.http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/angry/11.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)
As I said can't focus beyond 35 M, I have started eating " Gajarain" ( carrots) on daily basis.
http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/food-and-drink/18.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)
Allah-Hafiz

Gilani
12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Stigma bro, you are right. It requires some effort from 50 meters to focus correctly on front site tip and still keep the target behind it. May be Skeeter60 sahib can give a few tips on that. :)

9mm Luger
12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
wonderfull I cant see the target either at that distance!! Well done Gilani Sb!!

Gilani
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks 9mm Luger Sir :)

Muhammad Musharraf
21-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Congratulation this is indeed a very awesome gun :)
and i realy like you setup to i have question how much is that benchmade knife i know sorry i am knife guy :P and can you tell me more about your holster really dig it awesome setup +5

Dr Hanif Malik
21-02-2010, 10:16 AM
@gilanisahab, shooting at 50mt with hand gun a fun,wich every one cant do:)i was competitive shooter of glock 17,with 4 inch buleye,never got full marks,but you are looking more perfect:)

Enigmatic Desires
21-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Its not the gun alone Gilani sahib.. Its the shooter behind the gun that actualy gets teh job done..
Thats excellent shooting!

Gilani
21-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Dr sahib, ED sahib, thanks a lot for your comments :)

Musharraf sahib, I dont exactly recall but I think that knife was about 1200. Sorry cant be sure, bought it 2 years ago :)

Gilani
22-02-2010, 12:36 AM
More I fire with this gun, more it amazes me with its accuracy, balance and beauty. I have to do something wrong to send the bullet away from the bull. You do the things right, its going to land at least in 9 from 25 m, believe me :)

Here is PT99 shooting in competition with CZ999 Scorpion, NP22 and CF98.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5432.jpg

Distance 30 M, ammo POF 2Z, fired 5 bullets with each pistol. Fairly strong wind from left to right. Bullets encircled in Red are PT99, bullets in the center in black are CZ999, bullets encircled in black but on the right side are NP22 and bullets without a circle are CF98. You can see two bullets from CF98 missing the target altogether. Both were fired while I was still aiming with my finger on the trigger (off course it had to be) and the trigger is so light that the gun just fired off :( Not impressed with CF98. And despite the wind, PT99 was still shooting straight. CZ999 does reasonably well
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5627.jpg
Please note that the target is a small one and from one corner to other is 12.75 inches (32 cm)

Here is the result from 30 M, firing in a strong wind from right to left. Still 13 out of 15 bullets hitting within 6 inches. One bullet on the top and one on the bottom is my fault.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5622.jpg

BaderJanjua
23-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Nice holster Gilani?

BERETTA M9 9mm
23-02-2010, 08:33 PM
nice shooting.............Gilani

BaderJanjua
24-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice Holster Gilani!

Gilani
24-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Nice Holster Gilani!
:D Thanks for the gift Sir :D

Engineeer
25-02-2010, 04:25 PM
@Gilani, impressive result, especially the second target. excellent

Gilani
26-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Went to the range after Bader Janua sahib left and shot this with PT99 :)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5676.jpg
Results from 25 M. Fired 20 bullets of POF2Z. 5 fliers are off course my fault.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5687.jpg
Results from 15 M.. Fired 40 bullets. Was expecting better results from lesser range. 6 fliers is too much but again, lack of concentration :(

Omkhan
26-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Impressive grouping. I assume your rear sights need alignment to the right?

Gilani
26-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks bro. :) You are right. In fact I need to adjust the sight little towards left. I had zeroed this gun well earlier but when I changed my shooting hand from right to left, this gun started shooting a on the right. Would be zeroed on the next range session.

Skeeter60
26-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Gillani
Why don't you come to Lahore there is a match from 15 m which you can sweep it is with 9mm stsndard combat guns on the 28th

Gilani
27-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Sir, it would be sad to miss such an opportunity to meet you all and also participate in a pistol match. But due to my official commitments, I will not be able to make it. Will ishaAllah visit Lahore as early as possible and meet you and Abbas sahib. :)

Gilani
28-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Earlier in my review I mentioned about the Taurus PT99 trigger that I was not very satisfied with it. It was a bit too hard and extra pressure on trigger would result in few odd fliers in every shootout though most fliers used to be my fault (lack of concentration). I oiled the trigger thoroughly and kept firing with it. Now after firing over 500 rounds, the trigger of my Taurus has greatly improved and has become sort of crisp, just the right pressure one would like to have. The accuracy has improved too, this is what I shot today with the improved trigger. :)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5716.jpg
The bull in the target is 2 cm radius (0.8 inches) with every circle 2 cm apart. The red circle in the target is equal to 8 points on a standard target. Scoring has been done after measuring the distance of each bullet in inches from the center of the bull. The farthest bullet is exactly 2.6 inches from the + sign at the center of the bull.
Here is the target with a scale, for comparison purpose
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5432.jpg

Budha Khan
28-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Salam Gilani bhai! kindly opine me regarding PT99 or PT 92 are good with any kind of ammo? and no mal functions or jammings are there ? as Taurus hand guns dont enjoy good reputation in Bannu and NWFP. like my budy just bought taurus pt 917 and he had some misfire problems with chinese ammo. secondly if i ve to have one between Girsan( beretta clone) & taurus pt92/99 then what wud be ur recommendation ? I ve been having few other 9 mms too, ie sarsilmaz kilinc 2000, stoeger, cz 999 scorpion, cf 98, hp 77b. But when ever i wanted to have Taurus pt92/99 my friends din't recommend that for me. most of the times i am told that taurus is good at looks only. And here i saw u praising so much Taurus pt 99 in such an impressive way that i really wish to buy a pt 99 or pt 92. :)

Gilani
28-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Budha Khan sahib, If I could, I would take out PT92 and PT99 from the list of Taurus pistols. Both these pistols, specially PT99 are so good that they can be easily compared with actual Beretta 92FS. In fact they are being manufactured on the same Beretta plant on which original 92fs were being manufactured. Even the staff was not change. Therefore, for me, Taurus PT92 and PT99 are the same pistol as Beretta 92Fs, just a different name.

As for the other pistols manufactured by Taurus (specially striker fired pistols), its a different story altogether. They have the reputation of being ammo sensitive, they have quality control issues etc etc. You see, many of us can not always afford to buy Federal or Hornady or Winchester or Cor-Bon ammo and mostly we would be using Chinese or POF ammo. IMHO therefore, any pistol which has problems with POF or Chinese ammo is not a fit pistol to be bought in Pakistan (this is my personal view and I always keep it in mind while buying a pistol).

As for the performance of Taurus PT99 on Chinese and POF ammo, brother, I have fired more than 500 rounds with my Taurus PT99, both POF and Chinese. Not even a single FTF or FTE. . Though I dont own PT92 but I can say with surety that same would be the case with PT92 also because the only difference between PT92 and PT99 is of sights (PT92 has fixed sights and PT99 has adjustable sights). So go ahead and buy a PT92 or PT99 (I would personally prefer PT99), there would be no ammo issues at all. With all other Taurus models, there is no guarantee. You may get a peace which is good and you may not be that lucky.
Best of luck and regards.

Budha Khan
28-02-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks Gilani bhai! which wud be more suitable purchase between pt 99 and girsan ( beretta clone).

Gilani
28-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Sir, I have seen Girsan with a friend of mine but never fired / tested it in detail (I assume you are talking about Girsan Yavuz MKEK). So brother, can't give authentic views / opinion unless I fire 200-300 rounds with it and carry it for few days. For PT99, I can say with surety that you cant go wrong with it. :)

Dr Hanif Malik
28-02-2010, 08:59 PM
@gilani sahab,it was more better a use of scale on target,but you explain well by numbring and scoring.any how group of your shots with pt99 is very good:)

Gilani
28-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Dr sahib, target pic with a scale added in the actual post :). It is the same target. I have coloured the 8 point circle in red with hand.

Budha Khan
28-02-2010, 09:41 PM
yeah it was Girsan yawuz turkish pistol. exact clone of beretta 92fs. any way so sweet of u Gilani sahib!

Gilani
28-02-2010, 10:50 PM
You are welcome Sir :)

Aquarius
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Budha Khan Bhai... IMHO go for the time tested, reliable & durable thing & that is PT92/99...

Salahuddin Ayubi
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Budha Khan Bhai... IMHO go for the time tested, reliable & durable thing & that is PT92/99...

+1

Gilani
23-03-2010, 11:28 PM
An update on performance of PT99. Have so far fired around 1100 rounds with it. There has NOT BEEN A SINGLE STOPPAGE whatsoever with any ammo or any other mechanical fault. Superb performance. Accuracy is still spot on. This is what I fired today ............

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5880.jpg

Closeup of the same target
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5881.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/?action=view&current=DSCN5881.jpg)

Shariq
24-03-2010, 12:13 AM
@Gilani Sir
Your accuracy from 25m is really good. Hope to shoot as well as you one day!!

Gilani
24-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks Shariq sahib :)

Budha Khan
26-03-2010, 01:46 AM
hi all!! does Pt 99 have a chrome lined barrel ??

Gilani
26-03-2010, 07:22 AM
PT99 AFSS has a chrome lined barrel (the one that you see in this review).

Aquarius
26-03-2010, 11:50 AM
PT99 AFSS has a chrome lined barrel (the one that you see in this review).

Thats nice information....thanks Gilani Sir...becoz I was'nt either sure to answer Budha Khan in another thread... :cool:

Salahuddin Ayubi
26-03-2010, 02:44 PM

@Budha Khan,

We have one PT92AFS for sale at a very reasonable price in our market section. Do check it out.

Aquarius
26-03-2010, 08:28 PM

@Budha Khan,

We have one PT92AFS for sale at a very reasonable price in our market section. Do check it out.

+1.. And I think anyone looking for this particular model at a very reasonable price, should immediately grab this piece.. a very perfect buy......... :)

Budha Khan
28-03-2010, 02:22 AM
OK salahuddin ayubi sahab and Gilani sab

MKKD
22-04-2010, 01:19 AM
@Gilani,

I see that you've fired a reasonable number of rounds on the PT99. Could you please share how the rear sights are doing so far? any re-adjustments required after a few hundred rounds? I've heard that the rear sights move a bit after a few hundred shots...

Thanks!

Gilani
22-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I replied this in the Baikal thread already. I am quoting the same reply here :)

There is no quality issue with PT99 adjustable sights, as per my experience. However, all adjustable sights need to be zeroed from time to time. I always keep a screw driver in my pocket and adjust the sights whenever needed.

Adjustable sights are always more delicate than the fixed ones and one has to take care of them. The gun with which you shoot bulls eye should be kept in the box with care after shooting and not in the holster. The handling of bulls eye shooting gun that would be used in competition and of a normal combat gun that you carry for SD is entirely different. Still, you will have to make slight adjustments every now and then. These adjustments are usually minor (just one odd click) but even such minor adjustments matter a lot when you are trying to place your shots withing 1 inch radius from 25M.

So don't be bothered. There is no problem with PT99 adjustable sights. Whatever happens to them would happen to other adjustable sights as well. :)

Skeeter60
22-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Gilani Excellent shooting your trigger control and concentration are getting better and better

MKKD
23-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Skeeter saab need a connector for Glock 17 trigger pull reduction to 3.5 pounds... Please refer to the topic titled Glock Club...

Gilani
24-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks Skeeter60 sir :)

Gilani
01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Guns/DSCN5318.jpg

OBSERVATIONS
- The grip is just ok, could have been better.

This is what I thought when I wrote a review on Taurus PT99 in Feb this year. During my shooting sessions as well, I always thought that such a wonderfully accurate and reliable pistol had quite ordinary grips, at least not to my liking. Grips that should improve the hold and should look elegant as well.

I kept looking for good quality wooden grips for my PT99 as I have a special liking for old looking wooden grips. There were quite a few available on websites. The grips that I liked were phenomenally expensive and those which were within a decent range were not really impressive. The dilemma continued till I was able to search out a good gun smith in a far flung village of Azad Kashmir. I saw his work and thought that he is the man. I asked him to handcraft walnut grips for my PT99.

Initially, I wanted to have a thumb rest, however, due to peculiar position of the screw on right side grip (for a left hander's thumb), the thumb rest could not be made. The grips have been completed and few pics are given below. Please don't mind the sub-standard photography as it has been done in poor light. The grips actually are far more graceful what they look in the pics. To check it's functionality, I will shoot with the gun tomorrow and see if it has improved the hold. Here are few pics.............. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Ammo%20Tests/DSCN6395.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Ammo%20Tests/DSCN6399.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Ammo%20Tests/DSCN6392.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Ammo%20Tests/DSCN6396.jpg

These handmade walnut grips sure look cool to me. What do you say??? :rolleyes:
regards

Denovo87
01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow thats one nice peice of handy craft .. Congrats for adding gracefull wood on PT99 and please do not forget to guide us to that far flung AJK place :)

Do just one more thing, try to get the shinny finish off and give it a matt finish, it will double the grace and will be more resistant to the solvents.

Aquarius
01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Well well well.. these grips are looking gorgeous indeed.. Gilani Sir now your PT99 with these wallnut grips are really looking cooool.. :cool: thanks for sharing.. now I am also considering like these for my Makarov.. :)

Gilani
01-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks Denovo and Aquarius brothers

PS: CZ999 grips have already been ordered and Makarov grips would be next. Any suggestions on textures and finish are most welcome :) :)

KageFox
01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Earlier, the PT99 looked all business-like... now it looks fashionable too! This is especially for people who'd like to beautify the PT99... Nice find, Gilani Sahib!

For other textures and designs, search the Net. Browse through Hogue's online shop as well, they have a number of wooden grips for a number of different handguns that could serve as designs for your new grips...

Tip: Try to get some non-checkered grips as well... they look better with the smooth wooden surface...

Faheem
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Gilani bhai belive me, new grips has tottaly changed the looks of this handgun, Its simply aswesome .... Great work

MianTaimur
01-07-2010, 11:35 PM
@Gilani Sb
With the black grips 99 looks very slick.
However with the custom made wood on , it has accumilated some grace and class !!

Gilani
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Faheem bro, thanks a lot :)

KageFox brother, thanks for the comments. I have searched quite a few sites for grips. there are a large number of them available but the one's that I liked were costing something like US $ 150 after reaching Pakistan (price+shipment+duty). That is I think too much for a grip. But for copying designs, its ok :D

coolbox18
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Gilani sb
While a 'wow' is spontaneous, I have to admit that:

I would feel that this is not fair
It is a sin for you to not share
Thou shall disclose the source to us, n
Like a gentleman, lead us there...

pardon my poor rhymes, but its excitement :)
any chance for a matt walnut checkered pair of grips for my scorpion?

Gilani
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Taimur sahib, thanks for your comments. As I mentioned the actual reason for changing the grips is that I did not feel comfortable while shooting with those grips. I have got made these walnut grips a bit thicker as you can see. Perhaps a better grip for my hands but results would have to be seen on the range. And than, they surely look more aristocratic. :)

coolbox18 brother, I have already ordered grips for my CZ. This time it is going to be a matte finish in rosewood or dark burgundy colour. :D Would let you know as soon as the grips are prepared. CZ grips are far more difficult to make as compared to PT99 grips. Lot many cuts and grooves on the inner side.

The place is a far flung area. I would guide you when you need the grips but you are in Lahore. You can contact mistri Akram for good quality custom made grips. It would be more convenient. In any case, I will be there to help. :)

regards

Shariq
01-07-2010, 11:51 PM
With new grips 99 looks much more classy.

GUNFREAK
01-07-2010, 11:52 PM
@Gilani would your craftmen make grip for any pistol if ordered or is it just some models he has available?

regards

coolbox18
01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
sir thankyou indeed. will love to see ur cz grips :)

Gilani
01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Shariq sahib, thanks. In actual, the gun looks more classy than what you see in the pics.

GUNFREAK, I think he should be able to make any type of grips but you have to give your original grips to him for a week and the handgun is to be left with him for one to two days.

GUNFREAK
01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Shariq sahib, thanks. In actual, the gun looks more classy than what you see in the pics.

GUNFREAK, I think he should be able to make any type of grips but you have to give your original grips to him for a week and the handgun is to be left with him for one to two days.

ok so he would need the weapon, it would be difficut for me i guess being in KHI. But anyway i really appreciate your weapon.

Regards

SPAYPANTHER
02-07-2010, 12:04 AM
@ gilani

brother new dress of your range beauty is also comfortable or not???

I think that rubber give some good feel then wood! What you say on that??

Gilani
02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
You see the guy doesn't have any machines. Everything is handcrafted with basic tools. He has to fix the grips on the gun and see that everything works. He has to time and again grind small little cuts and grooves on the inside of the grip. Without the actual handgun, it becomes difficult for him, as he says :)

Gilani
02-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Wood has its own feel, Spaypanther brother. Depends on the liking of a person. I feel quite comfortable with good quality wooden grips during my range shooting.

SPAYPANTHER
02-07-2010, 12:40 AM
hmm thanks bro so it say feel is vary person to person

Gilani
02-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Spaypanther brother, yes. Everyone may not like the wooden grips, but I do. And I feel they have improved the holding of the gun. However, it has enhanced the beauty as well. If improving the grip was the only purpose than I would have gone for simple hogue grip glove which does the job in very less price. :)

SPAYPANTHER
02-07-2010, 09:50 AM
thanks bro :)

noumanzaidi
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
@Gilani

sir ji its really looking cool...
love to see those wooden grips :)

waiting anxiously for the CZ grips :D

Gilani
02-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Zaidi sahib, thanks. CZ grips would take 3-4 days. :)

Gilani
04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
OK guys, as I said earlier, no grip, no matter how elegant looking, is of any use unless it assists a shooter during firing. I test fired my PT99 with Walnut grips on and found it better than the previous factory grips. Since these grips are a little thicker, I could hold the gun better. The are the results, shooting off hand from 25M at around 1830 hrs. Details of the results have been posted in Competitive Shooting and Marksmanship thread. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Bullseye%20Shooting/DSCN6430.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Bullseye%20Shooting/DSCN6431.jpg

Salahuddin Ayubi
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Very nice Gilani Sb.

I'm sure these wooden grips would make the black PT92 even more graceful. I think this gun smith will be getting alot of orders in the near future, provided we know how to contact him in your absence. :)

Gilani
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, that will be done SA sahib :)

Mangloo Ramzani
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Ok ... I see that I totally missed the proceedings in this thread!!!

Gilani Sb, awesome looking grips! and like Denovo Sb suggested, I would also suggest Matt Finish on the grips!! :D

Aquarius
05-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Beautiful looking PT99... :)

Gilani
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Aquarius brother, thanks for liking it :)

MR bro, the next grips (CZ999) are going to have a dull reddish brown finish :)

Anthrax
05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Excellent upgrade on the grips, Gilani sb! They look great. For a while now I've been planning to get a custom made set of wooden grips for my Pirahna but haven't really been able to "Get going". But this time around, I'm on it like a bolt of lightning. Any advice from you would be appreciated janab. I hear the guy " Akram" at Nila Gumbad has some experience in this field. :/

Gilani
06-07-2010, 12:42 AM
You are right brother! Just go to mistri Akram. :)

Naveed_pk
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Anthrax bro , Gunsmith Akram is not in Neela Gumbad . He is under the Baksh Ellahi Mall road .. One of the best gunsmith in Lahore :)

Usama
06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Gillani Sahab
Wooden grips looks very nice on your Pt 99 .. Would love to get one for my PT 99
anyone know from where to get them in Karachi ??

SPAYPANTHER
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
@ usama

you should contect to fahad BHATTI

Syed Adeel
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Dear Gilani Sahib,

I am a bit late to express my pleasure to see the enhanced and embellished walnut wooden grips on your Handgun, which has become the most coveted thing to me so far( Applied for a new 9mm licence and started gathering money for it :). Accept my hearty congratulations on this beautification sir. The state of the art workmanship done in Brazil on metal and alloy has met the craftsmanship done on wood in Pakistan. Buhat mubarak ho. Great discovery of the artisan. May the gun in new grips fire and fare better in your hands, resulting in added pleasure to you and of course for us all.

Sir you came to Ak sahib. Could have provided me an opportunity and honour to host you..

Gilani
07-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Syed Adeel sahib, thanks a lot for your comments Sir. Actually that day I had gone to Haripur area. Since early morning we were taken from one mountain to another and till late afternoon we remained committed in this.......................

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/DSCN6330a.jpg

It was a thrilling but a tiring activity because for every jump, we had to take our para gliders on our backs to the top of the mountain for next jump. On my way back, I passed through Wah and stopped over at AK sahib's place for lunch. Honestly, it just slipped out of my mind that you were also around. Moreover, my partner was in a hurry to reach back Mangla. Sir, my apologies for this neglect, however, I will make it a point to visit you when I am the area next time. :)

regards

Syed Adeel
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I see sir! I shall be looking forward to your next visit sir. Nice para-gliding picture.. it looks like some khanpur vicinity.

Syed Adeel
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Rather in between Haripur and khanpur. These areas are quite suitable for such an activity.

MianTaimur
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Amazing pictures Gilani sb ! I am sure it must be fun para gliding. Had the opportunity to do it once, but backed out due to my phobia of heights !!

BERETTA
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
anyone knws where to get sch grips in khi i would also lov one for my pt 99

SPAYPANTHER
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
anyone knws where to get sch grips in khi i would also lov one for my pt 99
they are made in order bro you should contact to a good carpenter

Gilani
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Adeel sahib, you are right. Our jumping point was in-between Khanpur and Haripur.

miantaimur sahib, indeed it was a pleasureful activity. On one of the jumps, I got into good air current which gave me a decent lift and I was able to gain good height. Quite a pleasure :)

coolbox18
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Gilan sb, we would love to see some pics of the groups on the target you would shoot when in jump mode. would truly compliment your marksman spirit. (i hope this is not a tall ask :p )
alternatively, u could just post some more plain jumping pics, while in the air :p :p

Gilani
07-07-2010, 11:30 PM
coolbox brother, though I did carry my Makarov when I was jumping but I hope I never have to use it in that position :lol:

About the pics, well, its a sad story. I had to trust a friend of mine with the responsibility of taking my pics while I was in the air. He took quite a few but somehow, missed most part of me as well as the parachute in most of the pics, only showing a blue sky with just a small part of me or the chute somewhere in the corner of the pic :| :( The pic that you see is the best (and the only pic :|) in which I am visible and has been taken when I was about to land :/

coolbox18
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Gilani sb, we will hv to penalize u for the poor shooting (camera wise).
You will hv to accurately shoot (handguns) headed ur way in next couple of weeks.
:)

Gilani
07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Brother, make it quick otherwise the handgun will have to search me in Quetta :D

coolbox18
07-07-2010, 11:56 PM
sir, will get in touch with you soon, thank you.

Syed Adeel
08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Sir before Quetta I would also want to have a Randezvous..

Gilani
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
coolbox18 and Syed Adeel brother, you are most welcome. We will sort out the programme soon. :)

Gilani
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Sonnenkind brother, email sent. :)

Sonnenkind
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks very much sir.. got it

Syed Adeel
13-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Right Sir Salahuddin I will do it sir. Your moderation has been and I am sure will be of great value and learning for me like others. Forgot to say salam Sir :)

Salahuddin Ayubi
13-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks Adeel. Irrelevant posts have been deleted.

Shahzeb
04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
thanks gilani bhai for such a great mini review..loved it!

Syed Adeel
03-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Dear Gilani sahibThe CZ and Mak custom / wooden grips were not shown by you sir. I have asked a question regarding Mak from you. Please refer to the concealed carry Handgun polls thread sir.

gun_craze
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I just heard that the Taurus pt99 which costs around 53 K to 55K (available in Lahore MKT) is not the original one (not made in ITALY) these are Chinese model and manufactured in China...

Could anyone pls confirm this information please....Thanks

Rasal.Saleh
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Brother If i am not wrong the Taurus is made in brazil and USA not italy..

Regards

Syed Adeel
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
You are right Rana Rasal brother

Gilani
03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I just heard that the Taurus pt99 which costs around 53 K to 55K (available in Lahore MKT) is not the original one (not made in ITALY) these are Chinese model and manufactured in China...

Could anyone pls confirm this information please....Thanks
Brother, as mentioned by Rana sahib, Taurus is made in Brazil. All Taurus models available in Pakistan are made in Brazil and though it is manufactured in USA as well, I am yet to see a US made model in Pakistan. Never heard of a "Made in China" PT99 :|

Please shun the hearsay aside :D

Gilani
03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Dear Gilani sahibThe CZ and Mak custom / wooden grips were not shown by you sir. I have asked a question regarding Mak from you. Please refer to the concealed carry Handgun polls thread sir.
Syed Adeel sahib, I don't log on very often nowadays. Would you be kind enough to mention the query because I cant find it.

Pics of CZ999 with wooden girps are given in CZ999 thread

regards

Rasal.Saleh
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
@Gilani sb
I did see a made in USA taurus revolver but it was not commercially bought from here. That guy was an american national and worked with an NGO and had brought it with him from the states..
Looked the same as the other six inch barrel .357 magnums that i have seen that were made in Brazil Dint get a chance to fire it though so cant really say if it was any diffrent.

Regards

gun_craze
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
@ Rasal & Gilani Bro...

thnx for the correction infect that was a typo... i was doing many things at tht time :| but my original question was regarding China made, I was also very much amazed when i heard this...and my friend who gave me this info was so sure tht I feel, I need to confirm this from here.

Rasal.Saleh
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I have not yet heard of a Chinese, 92 fs or pt99 clone.
Maybe China asusual has come up with a clone i will ask around and let you know brother.

On another note Gillani Sb i would like to ask that the are the PT-92 sights combat sights, i mean are they any good for fast target aquisation, and does it have night sights.
Also can after market sights be fit on to it.

Regards

ACHILLES
03-09-2010, 11:54 PM
no Chinese clone of Taurus pt 99 yet available in market. Beside Taurus pt 92 series is almost clone of 92 fs

gun_craze
03-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks ACHILLES & Rasal Bros... :)

Rasal.Saleh
04-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks ACHILLES & Rasal Bros... :)

Never a Problem
:)

Regards

Gilani
04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Rasal Saleh sahib, I have also seen a US made PT92 with a friend of mine but that has also been brought from USA. As far as I know, US made Taurus handguns are not available commercially in Pakistan. There may be few odd available with different people who have brought them from USA.

As for PT 92 sights, they are normal combat sights, good enough but not the best available for combat and night shooting. They can be replaced with better after market combat sights, if one could find one in Pakistan. Otherwise, one would have to get them from US. :)

regards

Rasal.Saleh
04-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Thankyou Gilani Sb..

Regards

ACHILLES
04-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Rasal Saleh sahib, I have also seen a US made PT92 with a friend of mine but that has also been brought from USA. As far as I know, US made Taurus handguns are not available commercially in Pakistan. There may be few odd available with different people who have brought them from USA.

As for PT 92 sights, they are normal combat sights, good enough but not the best available for combat and night shooting. They can be replaced with better after market combat sights, if one could find one in Pakistan. Otherwise, one would have to get them from US. :)

regards

I have PRI adjustable sights for 92 FS will they fit on to pt 92?

Syed Adeel
04-09-2010, 04:30 PM
@Gilani sahib..... Dear sir Plz mention some hallmarks and characteristics / qualities of a good Makarov, making it easy for us to choose a better one when selecting one to save us from making a mistake while distinguishing between ( Darra made Maks, and genuine KGB approved, soviet made original Maks) I mean nishanian and also keh kia kia hona chahiyah aur kia nahin.. making it a better Mak.

Let me see your CZ's wooden grips there in the CZ thread sir!

Thank you for responding. I have bought CZ 999 and my PT 99 is also on its way by the grace of ALLAH.

Regards!

fahadkhalid
04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Had the pleasure of firing a PT99 on the range today, thanks to brothe usama for allowing me to play with his piece. amazing pistol, the feel, the fire and the precision of the gun was amazing. I willl surely be adding this to my collection as soon as i can get my hands on a license.

SPAYPANTHER
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
@USAMA

good to know about range and TOPI you fix on me.... "THATS CALLED A FRIENDSHIP"

Agent47
04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Pt 99 is indeed a very faithful copy of the legendary beretta 92.Inexpensive and accurate.

Usama
05-09-2010, 05:16 PM
thanks to brothe usama for allowing me to play with his piece. .

Fahad bhai it was nice meeting you and Insha Allah another range session will be made after Eid :)
by the i also had the pleasure of shooting your Mc21 :)

Silent killerr
05-09-2010, 05:57 PM
OK guys, as I said earlier, no grip, no matter how elegant looking, is of any use unless it assists a shooter during firing. I test fired my PT99 with Walnut grips on and found it better than the previous factory grips. Since these grips are a little thicker, I could hold the gun better. The are the results, shooting off hand from 25M at around 1830 hrs. Details of the results have been posted in Competitive Shooting and Marksmanship thread. :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Bullseye%20Shooting/DSCN6430.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/sualeh/Bullseye%20Shooting/DSCN6431.jpg
Gilani sir, this new wooden grip doubles the beauty of PT 99. How much it costs you and how much time taken by Gunsmith for preparing this?

Gilani
06-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Silent Killer brother, it costed around 1200 and the gunsmith took around a month. But otherwise, its a 2 days dedicated job to make good quality grip with precise checkering. :)
regards

Silent killerr
06-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Gilani sir Thank you, it is very economical. i am planning to get this for myself