PDA

View Full Version : How to Care for Your Firearms Using Automotive Products

12GAUGE
18-01-2010, 02:55 PM
AoA Everybody.

I've been asked this question at least a gazillion time, not to mention the countless times I've accompanied a friend or a friend's friend to an automotive/hardware supply store in a bid to answer the very same question:

"SPECIALTY PRODUCTS ASIDE, HOW CAN WE KEEP OUR FIREARMS IN TIP-TOP CONDITION USING COMMON/EASILY AVAILABLE PRODUCTS?"

So, after doing the very same and totally redundant exercise yesterday, I have decided to put it all down in writing so others may also benefit from it.

Instead of going through each firearm part and suggesting an appropriate product, I'll simply list the products down and their intended usage. This way reader can easily pick the desired product(s) from the list.

WD40:

http://akalol.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/wd40.jpg

Itís nothing more than penetrating oil with some lubricating and cleaning properties. It also serves as a good water displacing agent. Usage:

1. To displace water from a wet firearm if you happen to drop it in mud/water during a hunt.

2. To lubricate a firearm (emergency usage only), not a substitute to proper/dedicated lubricant.

3. To clean a firearm (emergency usage only) in case you get it dirty by dropping it in dirt or something. It also cleans carbon/gunk pretty well but no way near a specialty cleaner.

4. To remove stuck screws, specially stuck choke tubes. Infact if you donít have any proper choke tube grease this can be used only as an emergency relief. Never ever install a dry choke tube as installing/removing it can damage threads.

Even though WD40 is not designed to be used on firearms but I always advise to have it laying around just in case. Especially on hunts where you donít want to carry a whole bag full of firearm cosmetics, a single aerosol can of WD40 renders itself quiet useful. However I would still advise that it cannot replace a specialty product that is designed to do a specific job. I would advise against using WD40 as rust preventive as it gums up over time.

Carnauba Automotive Wax:

http://www.kangaroo.co.kr/kang-english/prod-car/cosmic-b1.jpg

Carnauba wax is derived from the leaves of a palm tree. It produces the glossy shine/finish that weíve all seen after we wax our cars with a quality automotive wax. Fortunately, this wax also works wonders on firearms. Usage:

1. Two-three coatings of a quality Carnauba wax on blued/Stainless Steel will give rich/deep gloss to your firearm. Itíll make an old firearm look like fresh out of factory brand new. Plus it will seal the metal underneath protecting it from corrosion. Apply with an appropriate applicator (usually a sponge) then buff to a beautiful shine.

2. One-two coats of Carnauba wax on the wooden parts of your firearm will do wonders. Your shotgun/rifle stock will look practically brand new. Itíll preserve the wood underneath from moisture and small scratches. Apply with an appropriate applicator (usually a sponge) then buff to a beautiful shine.

CAUTION: for outer surfaces only. Not to be used on any moving parts. Not to be used inside the bore.

Iíve only used Cosmic Wax and Iíve quiet satisfied with it. it does not contain any abrasive additives which can harm with multiple applications. There is one other quiet talked about at pakwheels.com called Mothers wax. I havenít seen it so cannot comment. Just remember that any quality Carnauba wax will do as long as it doesnít have any abrasive additives.

Leather and Tyre Wax:

http://www.kangaroo.co.kr/kang-english/prod-car/wax-b.jpg

If you own firearms that have polymer/plastic furniture then youíll instantly become a believer after the very first application of a quality leather/tyre wax. Just a simple spray on and wipe off. Itíll make that faded black polymer furniture look that brand new black that u used to remember. Itíll also make those tiny/nasty scratches totally disappear. Usage:

1. A simple spray on and wipe off procedure to bring back the youth of your firearmís polymer furniture

2. Don't forget that dusty old/faded rubber butt pad. It also needs a spray to look brand new.

There are many brands out there but Iíve only used Cosmic Leather and Tyre wax. It works beautifully therefore never needed to try anything else.

C.V. Joint Grease:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Images/products/large/3510_LIQ_23251C1F.jpg

its the black colored grease. also called moly grease or molybdenum disulphide grease. it is designed to withstand extreme pressure and temperatures incurred in a constant velocity joint of front axle driven cars. also called GODA GREASE. perfect for use on choke tube threads. will keep them rust free and will prevent choke tube siezure (stuck choke tubes). you can use ordinary lithium grease but I prefer moly grease.

Carburetor Cleaner:

perfect for cleaning out barrel bores (and choke tubes) after some serious shooting session. will clean all carbon/plastic fouling from barrel bores instantly. safe for bluing/parkerizing/chrome/nickel plating but other gun finished beware. it makes the cleaning job so much easier that I have practically stopped using any other kind of cleaner since. However I must insist caution while using. I only recommend cleaning barrels/bores/chambers of shotguns and handguns with it.

I hope all this helps. These automotive products though may not be designed specifically for firearms but are very beneficial if one intends to maintain their firearms in top notch condition for years to come. Looking forward to questions/comments from esteemed members.

Regards.

Gunpsycho
18-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice share Bro:)

Naveed_pk
18-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice share Bro :)

12GAUGE
18-01-2010, 05:06 PM
@gunpsycho and Naveed_pk

thank you gentlemen.

Regards.

Ilyas
18-01-2010, 09:46 PM
@12G... salams Bro! Hope all is fine. A wonderful post as usual... more like "Dadijee ke totkey" :)
coz almost all of us have these things at home for our cars, but it would never have occured to many of us,
to use these for firearms. Specially loved the ideas for carnuba wax and leather n tyre spray.

12GAUGE
18-01-2010, 10:17 PM
@Ilyas

Thank you Ilyas bhai for the valuable comments. I totally appreciate them. see you at Lahore GTG.

Regards.

Dr Zakir
18-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Long time no hear no see where are u ?

and as usual true to your reputation a very good article . '' daer ayey per darust ayey ''

Moeen
19-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Salam All,
@12 Gauge - ++1.

Lately, I have been using WD40 for most of my guns. I first clean the guns METAL parts with a tooth brush dipped in Hoppes 9 solvent. I then use WD40 to wash out the fouling. For fiber/polymer material I sometimes use ArmorAll as this product has been in use with me since 1988.
I would idealy use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe however, they are still on back order. Using this I don't even take the weapon apart, I just lock the slide back and spray. I have also used 3M Disk Brake Cleaner (don't use this on polymer/fiber), and have found good results for cleaning; however, this too is no longer available at Metro in Isb. Grease is a great idea providing it is used in very very small quantity and used only on the moving/contact parts; there is dry grease/lube also available in the market in the auto dept. I would suggest using that as it too is the same expense as the Constant Viscosity Joint Grease.

I agree with 12Gauge that WD40 is best. Good topic bro.

Zhatash
19-01-2010, 10:24 AM
@12gauge
As usual very informative & useful ...

Thanx for sharing

Denovo87
19-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Briliant contribution 12gauage bro, as always. Hope to see more of these GHARAILOO NUSKHAY and also will request you to please take a turn towards weapon/firarm performance TOTKAS like trigger job, sights caliberation/re-marking etc.

Sami
19-01-2010, 10:44 AM
A.S.A, Very Nice Share

Anthrax
19-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Amazing post 12 Gauge! As always, you haven't failed to surprise me. Anxiously waiting to meet you at the GTG because I sure need to learn a LOT from you. :)

HKS
19-01-2010, 11:12 AM
very nicely put bro....

Aamar
19-01-2010, 11:33 AM
@ 12 gauge: i like the Carnauba Automotive Wax idea, good stuff man, keep it coming ..... gonna go pick up the wax today :D

Mitho
19-01-2010, 01:39 PM
@12gauge
can i use any car wax like formula1 or just carnauba wax?

12GAUGE
19-01-2010, 02:42 PM
@12gauge
can i use any car wax like formula1 or just carnauba wax?

do not use formula1. it has abrasive additivies in it. use simple carnauba wax. try Kangaroo Cosmic "easy" wax. it has no abrasive additives in it.

Regards.

Mitho
19-01-2010, 02:51 PM
@12gauge thanks for such a swift response

Hamid
19-01-2010, 05:49 PM
excellent informative post.

shahzad
19-01-2010, 06:23 PM
12gauge
Thanks alot. Really informative post.

Shariq
19-01-2010, 08:26 PM
@12gauge bro
As usual very informative & useful. Thanks

PsiFactor
19-01-2010, 09:50 PM
@12gauge
i have been using these since 2000. Thanks for sharing

Salahuddin Ayubi
19-01-2010, 10:40 PM
@12gauge bro
As usual very informative & useful. Thanks

Ahaaaa! Great to see you back amongst us brother. :)

Topak
21-01-2010, 01:27 PM
nice thread,
i am using ATF for lubricating my pistol,it works good but you have to clean it at least once a month to avoid collecting dust.
nice topic by 12 G

12GAUGE
21-01-2010, 11:25 PM
nice thread,
i am using ATF for lubricating my pistol,it works good but you have to clean it at least once a month to avoid collecting dust.
nice topic by 12 G

every oil/grease will collect dust irrespective of the brand/type.

Regards

Gilani
26-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Nice share, sir

Mitho
27-01-2010, 11:48 AM
@12 gauge
how much lubrication is too much?i use a ear bud to apply a thin film on my pistol and than wipe it with a cloth.is this enough to prevent rusting.?

Denovo87
27-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I noticed one problem when applying oil with cotton buds, a very thin cotton flints get stuck to the area with oil. So I started using a cloth (twisted to a poited shape) to apply oil instead of cotton buds, that to my opinion is better and tidier way to apply oil.

12GAUGE
27-01-2010, 01:23 PM
@12 gauge
how much lubrication is too much?i use a ear bud to apply a thin film on my pistol and than wipe it with a cloth.is this enough to prevent rusting.?

as in life, There is no such thing as "too much lubrication". hahahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards.

p.s. and incase ur talking about firearms, the general rule of thumb is to lubricate to a point where u only see a shine on the metal but not to the point where u can see a distinct layer of oil on the metal surface.

Denovo87
27-01-2010, 03:07 PM
@12 gauge

as in life, There is no such thing as "too much lubrication". hahahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards.

p.s. unless ur talking about firearms, the general rule of thumb is to lubricate to a point where u only see a shine on the metal but not to the point where u can see a distinct layer of oil on the metal surface.

Or, too much drips down the barrel or slide and adequate just help the slide move freely, like you canot see anything comming out of the functions but all the moving parts confortably work their way in n out :)

AMaliks
28-01-2010, 10:57 AM
@12 gauge

Regards.

p.s. unless ur talking about firearms, the general rule of thumb is to lubricate to a point where u only see a shine on the metal but not to the point where u can see a distinct layer of oil on the metal surface.

Or, too much drips down the barrel or slide and adequate just help the slide move freely, like you canot see anything comming out of the functions but all the moving parts confortably work their way in n out :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D D87 and bara bore simply awesome !!!!!!!!!!

KARTOOS
16-04-2010, 05:57 PM
@12 Gauge
Tussi Always Great O

PakistanFirst
18-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Let us not forget molybdenum disulfide paste as a firearm lubricant. I use Pro Honda 60% moly paste. Moly can withstand very high temperature and pressure. You can buy moly at automotive supply stores. Not all moly pastes are the same. Look for the moly percentage content on the container.

AliTepu
27-02-2013, 07:21 AM
bro i own a stoeger couger.i want to know can we use synthetic wax too or just carnuba wax only?
i also have a spray carnuba wax.will it work?
i am using perfects gun oil to clean and lubricate.is it good enough?
previously i was using wd 40.also my friend told me to clean handgun with diesel shower.i dont know if it is good or bad.
waiting for your reply dear :)

12GAUGE
27-02-2013, 12:17 PM
bro i own a stoeger couger.i want to know can we use synthetic wax too or just carnuba wax only?

Bro, Carnauba is a naturally produced wax which hardens over time. there are no chemicals in it. therefore I can only recommend Carnauba. I cannot say which other waxes can be used but do keep that in mind that the wax needs to be pure 100 percent Carnauba. we only need to preserve not polish. as most polishing contain abrasives which may harm your firearm.

i am using perfects gun oil to clean and lubricate.is it good enough?

perfects is good enough bro. I don't see any reason why it cannot be used.

also my friend told me to clean handgun with diesel shower.i dont know if it is good or bad. waiting for your reply dear :)

Bro, I also use diesel. it is a very mild solvent therefore it does not harm most firearm finishes. plus it also has slight lubricating properties as well. therefore I always prefer diesel over kerosene.

Regards.