PDA

View Full Version : Wood Care

PrivateEye
09-01-2010, 05:32 AM
I guess this topic is not discussed before as i was not able to find any specific one.

So, how is one supposed to maintain the wood of his shotgun or rifle?
"Things we should do" and "Things that we shouldn't do"

Expert's input needed, as always :)

Mig
09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
This Thread Should be in the GUN SAFETY AND MAINTENANCE section

Ka_Khan
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Very nice topic and am surprised to know that we havent discussed it in detail.

(Thread moved)

Mig
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Brother 12Gauge have discussed it in short in http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3142

He discussed it that putting Oil and Lubs in the Wood for a longer time can make it Soft and make problems.

PrivateEye
11-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Yup! I have read that already Sir.

Thought of a detailed discussion specifically for Wood Care.
Like softening of wood then cracking upon drying (like you mentioned), bending of stock, taking care of checkering, etc.

Abu Al Hawl
11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
1- always keep your wood clean
2- avoid keeping it exposed to open weather to prevent weather effects on wood
3- checkering have edges, carving, designs, which gets damaged by just carelessly handling
your weapon.

5- damp a clean cloth with good quality wood oil n wipe your weapon woods
4- polish your woods with good quality wood wax

Glocky
11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Some good tips given by Abu Al Hawl, i've also read that linseed oil in very small quantity is all that should be used to nourish and rejuvenate dried out wood stocks.

Mig
13-01-2010, 12:21 PM
@Glocky. U have 7 posts needed to become a LORD OF WAR. Congratz in advance.

Jillanik
21-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Wood care oil by "Browning" is available at Orient Traders Lahore. Gives a brand new look to the stock..................Cheers

Mangloo Ramzani
31-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Some good tips given by Abu Al Hawl, i've also read that linseed oil in very small quantity is all that should be used to nourish and rejuvenate dried out wood stocks.

It is correct ... Pak Army units are issued with linseed oil for care of wooden parts of G3

PUNJTANI5
10-09-2010, 02:45 PM
care 4 wood just like u care 4 gun

oil destroys wood so keep wood away from it

use a little spirit from time to time on un glazed/unpolished parts to keep it fresh using a squirt gun is highly appropriate

always remove wooden parts before oiling the gun and clean gun thoroughly with a cloth before refixing wooden furniture to remove any oil

apart from spirit application the polymer furniture is also destroyed by oil / lubricant so keep safety for them by removing before servicing