PDA

View Full Version : KA-BAR, The Legend

Nabeel
16-12-2009, 10:34 PM
On December 9, 1942, after the start of World War II, KA-BAR submitted a fighting knife to the United States Marine Corps in hopes that it would become general issue to that branch of the military. Working in conjunction with the Marine Quartermaster Department a design was devised and soon production was under way on a new and improved fighting / utility knife for the Marines. As the war escalated, the demand for these knives was so great that the KA-BAR factory alone could not keep up. The government assigned several knife companies to create similar knives as supplemental pieces for those serving the War. KA-BAR’s wartime production totaled more than 1 million. The KA-BAR knives became so well recognized for their quality and so abundant in number that “Kabar” became the name by which many referred to this knife pattern, regardless of whether the knife was manufactured at the KA-BAR facility.

These knives were depended upon to perform daily tasks such as pounding tent stakes, driving nails, opening ration cans and digging foxholes, not to mention defending lives.

Growing so in popularity and earning only the greatest respect, the KA-BAR was adopted by not only the Marines, but also the Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Underwater Demolition Teams. Years after World War II, many KA-BARS were unofficially reactivated in the Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom conflicts.

The dependability and consistent quality of wartime KA-BARs was the result of constant strict quality control procedures by KA-BAR workers and supervisors as well as the US Marine Corps and Navy Supply inspectors who were assigned to the KA-BAR factory to work along with company personnel to accomplish this goal.

These high quality standards were maintained in 1976 when production was reintroduced to commemorate the Marine Corps 200th Anniversary of service to the United States. It was then that the original factory in Olean, New York, along with some of its original craftsmen, undertook the job of creating a “full dress model” of the original – a Limited Edition Commemorative that would prove to be most meaningful to the Marines. Using the original blueprints which had been stored in the company archive files, the recreated knife was a true work of art that retained the look, feel and performance of the original battle ready combat knife. The first one of its kind, serialized with the number “1”, was presented to the Commandant of the Corps and was later put on display at the USMC Museum at Quantico.

The USMC Commemorative was so enthusiastically received that it became obvious that the original KA-BAR Fighting / Utility knife had retained its popularity through the years. The limited production Commemorative was so quickly taken up by the Marines, knife enthusiasts and collectors that KA-BAR decided to return it to regular production in its standard form. With only a few changes made possible by modern technology, the KA-BAR Fighting / Utility Knife was reintroduced.

Today, the original USMC Fighting / Utility Knife remains the first choice for many Marines who choose to carry it as their personal option knife during service. It is also a favorite of adventurers, survivalists, outdoor sportsmen and, of course, knife collectors who know that this knife – this “American Legend” – deserves a place in their collection.

http://www.thompsonoutdoors.com/b/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/kabarusmcseveninch.jpg

Source: https://www.kabar.com/famous.jsp

LionHeart
17-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Nabeel: Thanks for sharing this legend, its really a beautiful/Useful master piece.

regards,

Salahuddin Ayubi
17-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Great share. Thanks

What about its availability in Karachi and some idea about pricing also?

Naveed_pk
17-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for sharing this master piece...

ARJ
17-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Nabeel bro, an excellent info about a master piece...... what about its availability in Karachi and price

Sensei
20-12-2009, 06:18 PM
@Nabeel very nice sharing really MAZA AYA thank you bro :)

Usama
20-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice Sharing and info..!!

BulletHog
14-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Can someone help me in the process of getting a ka-bar :)?

SPAYPANTHER
14-03-2010, 10:29 PM
yas we can pray for you :lol:

Syed Rehmat
15-03-2010, 02:29 AM
great share nice info.

wasifali89
15-03-2010, 09:05 AM
lovely info

BERETTA M9 9mm
15-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice share....................Nabeel

BulletHog
15-03-2010, 11:43 PM
yas we can pray for you :lol:

ya u would be of great help :D

Jillanik
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Are they available in Pakistan market ?.

BulletHog
01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
unfortunately not !!! atleast in the open market... but they can be seen in peshawar and quetta...smuggled from afghanistan

MAK786
11-04-2010, 11:56 PM
nice info. thanks for sharing

wasifali89
29-04-2010, 01:40 PM
does any one who the length of this knife ?

and also does it legally require a permit ?
any local made clones available ?

SOG PUP ELITE.......... where can i get this from ?

A R K TAREEN
29-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Nabeel,

Bravo, Nice share gentleman.

Kindly update if anyone knows about the availability of KA-BAR in Karachi or Pakistan.

Regards.

Abu Hafs
29-04-2010, 10:31 PM
does any one who the length of this knife ?

The overall length of this knife is 12 inches

Blade Length=7 in

Blade Material= Carbon Steel 1095

Handle Material= Stacked Leather

SOG PUP ELITE.......... where can i get this from ?

Blade Length=4.85in
Blade Material=AUS 8
Handle Material=Zytel
Overall Length=9.5in
Weight=5.4 oz.
http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/images_products_large/1648.jpg

Have you enquired as to whether a foregin supplier would ship to Pakistan?

khakiMB
16-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Always nice to have history associated to the blade!

ajmal virk
17-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Nice share brother.

AKA777
17-11-2013, 01:19 PM
my dream knife.

AKA777
17-11-2013, 01:21 PM
i have tried magiclamp.pk,pcl and shams but no luck in getting one.

AKA777
19-12-2014, 06:13 PM
got my dream knife them sold it tough world!

Loki
23-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Hi

I bought mine a few years ago, from a fellah working on a US base, boxed and unused.
Sold a few knives in the summer but pleased I kept this among the few now retained.
This s proper 'tool'......

Ciao
L