PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Storage horizons and appropriate rust preventive measures

12GAUGE
13-11-2009, 05:11 AM
AoA Everybody

I'll start by quoting a line from Spiderman, "with great power comes great responsibility". Enough said! it’s a lot easier to acquire a weapon than properly storing it in a ready-to-use state while insuring adequate rust protection. Anybody who owns a cabinet queen that just sits there and collects dust, serving no purpose other than the occassional wow! cool! oooo! aaaaaa! gaaagaaa! of friends, knows what I’m yapping about here.

Now this cookie though seems tough is a lot easier to crack especially when one defines his/her goals (storage horizons) properly. Before we begin, let’s get certain things straight. We are assuming that we want to store the firearm in a ready-to-use state. Therefore no such solution will be pondered upon that renders it useless. No grease, no Cosmoline, no Vaseline or similar stuff that requires/mandates prior cleaning/removal before use. Let’s define the possible goals shall we?

1. Upto 1 month
2. Upto 3 months
3. Upto 6 months
4. Upto 1 year
5. Upto 5 years

Before we begin looking at possible solutions to meet each goal, allow me to stress the need to make sure that the weapon is safe. Kindly make sure that it is empty. Once ensured, kindly continue treating the weapon in the same manner as one would treat a loaded weapon. Safety first! All else later!

Upto 1 month:

Almost any kind of in expensive machine (or sewing machine) oil will do. Even WD40 is good enough for the job. A good light film/coating of almost any type of mineral oil will get the job done here. The preferred storing condition would be open storage (not enclosed) where there is plenty of ventilation so the moisture doesn’t condensate on any metal surface of the firearm. One can enclose the weapon but it only increases the chances of trapping any moisture with the firearm in the container and the steps required to remove/contain the moisture are simply put “THE JUICE IS NOT WORTH THE SQUEEZE”

Upto 3 months

Any good quality gun specific oil will get the job done. Oils such as Remington, hoppes and Pakguns Lubricant will provide adequate rust protection here and will not gum up over time. Just a good cleaning job on the firearms followed by a light coating of any specialty gun oil will ensure a rust free storage. Again storage should be the open type for the same reasons described above.

Upto 6 months

This is where it gets a little bit tricky. We want to store a firearm for upto six months and it needs to be rust free as well as in a state of readiness. One solution would be to get VCI impregnated oil and lightly coat all metal surfaces of the firearm. Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor is the space age technology of the corrosion prevention. VCI leaves a mono-ionic layer on the metal surface that acts as an active barrier against oxygen and moisture. There are specialty oils out there that are impregnated with VCI technology. They provide protection in two ways, first through the use of oil as basic contact preservative and second by depositing VCI molecules over the metal surface. Here again I would recommend open type storage conditions and not enclosed.

Upto 1 year

From here on out, I do not recommend open type storage. The best and most appropriate procedure would be to clean the weapon thoroughly, apply a coating of VCI impregnated oil and get the firearm sealed inside a low density polyethylene bag with minimum film thickness of 200 microns. The high thickness film is needed to ensure low moisture transmission through the plastic barrier. Any ordinary pulse sealer is good enough for the job of sealing. The VCI technology employed by the specialty gun oil is more than enough to combat the moisture that gets trapped within the plastic bag. Throw in a few silica gel packs (actually more than what you need cause they are dirt cheap) in there incase you are still concerned. Try not to leave any finger prints on the weapon. Better yet, use latex gloves while handling the weapon.

Upto 5 years

Now we are really stretching the whole concept of a properly stored, ready to use weapon here. Therefore it necessitates some extra care. Clean meticulously and then apply a coating of VCI oil. Afterwards vacuum seal the weapon in a LDPE bag (minimum film thickness 200 microns). Throw in a lot of silica gel packs. Some caution, DO NOT LEAVE ANY FINGERPRINTS ON THE FIREARM. One trick to vacuum seal the weapon is to use ordinary home vacuum cleaner. Seal the bag but leave a small opening for the vacuum cleaner hose. Insert the hose and suck all the air out then completely seal the bag. Care must be employed to avoid any air getting back inside the bag.

Some notes:

There are other VCI products out there such as VCI paper and tablets but nothing comes close to the protection offered by VCI impregnated oils. Remington makes VCI oil and so does the ‘Inhibitor’. The later is better known and commands the highest respect in corrosion protection for firearms. Both are available online for purchase.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=6156&cat=1414&page=1
http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_care/VCI_technology.asp

I could have recommended the use of golden rods that heat up the air surrounding the firearms to prevent rusting but they require electricity and I wanted the solutions to be input free or more appropriately said, WATTS FREE.

Silica gel packs are reusable and can be recharged by heating them in a microwave for 2 minutes at high heat, let them sit for a while to cool off then repeat two more times. This will recharge the silica gel for use again.

Silica gel packs are pretty cheap and are available at scientific supplies’ stores for less than 3 rupees a pack (5g each). Some companies in Karachi quote them at 500 rupees a Kg.

For people living in high corrosion areas must cut the duration period by half. For example, 5 years is equal to 2.5 years and 1 year equal to six months for those who live in aggressive corrosion prone areas.

Polymers are ok with extended oil contact oil however, wood will soften during prolonged contact so it is advised to first stand the firearm upside down for some time after applying a coat of oil so that all the oils runs down the muzzle instead of the stock.

Ammo can also be stored/sealed in LDPE bags for extended duration. Just remember to put in few silica packs.

You might want to search online for VCI gun oils. Plenty of good brands are out there. The most respected however is the “Inhibitor V80”.

there are other solution out there such as VCI polyethylene bags. these plastic bags emitt VCI and are widely used in the firearms industry for corrosion protection. www.polygunbag.com (http://www.polygunbag.com) and www.zcorrproducts.com

Regards.

Disclaimer: the information published in the above article is strictly for information purposes only. All information found in the article is without any implied warranty of fitness for any purpose or use whatsoever. You may pursue the use of information at your own risk. The author shall not be held responsible in any way for the loss of life, property and reputation resulting from the use of informational content of the article.

bazkhan35
13-11-2009, 05:35 AM
brilliant,thats the thing i was looking, for the last couple of days.

Salahuddin Ayubi
13-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Great share. Thanks.

TAREEN
13-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Nice information. Great work, as usual.

Starfish
13-11-2009, 10:08 AM
great work 12 gauge. as always if i may add.
but to be honest, my guns actually come out of long term storage this time of the year :P
Your post will be a great help when i use it around end of January :D
happy season, happy shooting to all of you.

Naveed_pk
13-11-2009, 10:43 AM
12 guage....Great share. Thanks.

12GAUGE
13-11-2009, 05:32 PM
@All

you are most welcome. one is obliged to be at service.

Regards.

Mohammad
13-11-2009, 08:18 PM
great work done

MHMalik
13-11-2009, 10:06 PM
That is very informative indeed!

12Gauge could you also create such a thread (separately) for care and maintenance of wooden parts of a firearm? It will be highly beneficial to all of us..

Thanks.. :)

Dr Zakir
13-11-2009, 11:02 PM
EXCELLENT . As usual u have given a very precise and informative article . And I plan to follow just this for storage of my weapons . I have already the bags that for fellow friend denovo has made an. With help of your oil I think I will acheive excellent results and rust proof my weapons

Zhatash
14-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanx 12gauge very useful information..

KageFox
14-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Wonderful tips for gun storage, sir, as always...

I guess this would work with knives as well... I was wondering was one should do to remove a small amount of rust with minimum damage to the object (knife or gun)?

Ahsanfurqan
14-11-2009, 12:32 AM
@12gauge
sir i must appreciate ur effort....thankyou indeed...one more query from where v can get pakguns lubricant and( VCI in pakistan) and price of both plz
thx n regards

12GAUGE
14-11-2009, 02:01 AM
@12gauge
sir i must appreciate ur effort....thankyou indeed...one more query from where v can get pakguns lubricant and( VCI in pakistan) and price of both plz
thx n regards

as far as Pakguns Lubricant is concerned, search for it here and make as much as u want. about the VCI in pakistan, well....... when I was looking for it to make my own unfortunately due to unavailability I had to get a small sample shipped from singapore. it was VCI concentrate and I was barely able to make 200ml of VCI gun oil from it. good news is that commercial/specialty VCI gun oils are available online and u can get them shipped. no problems there. I had to take the longer/harder route cause I wanted to make my own (impulse thing, dont ask why).

Regards.

12GAUGE
14-11-2009, 02:02 AM
EXCELLENT . As usual u have given a very precise and informative article . And I plan to follow just this for storage of my weapons . I have already the bags that for fellow friend denovo has made an. With help of your oil I think I will acheive excellent results and rust proof my weapons

Thank u Sir.

Regards.

Denovo87
14-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Great article 12gauge bro, I think we learned enough about the storage, lubricant, cleaners now, what about doing some research on increasing the performance, reliability & accuracy of guns (specialy handguns/pistols) ?
Tips/methods to avoid FTE's, FTF's, failure to fire etc in the guns/ammo which are prone to these problems ?
I am confident that you certianly will come with nice and simple workable ideas if you agree to work on these ;)

Jillanik
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Very useful information

GatlinGun
15-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Great article. a 5 year storage would be a bad idea, but if necessary, one could also consider thin film grease on all external metal exposed parts. It does come off easy with any cleaner such as WD40, and always is a good and cheap solution against high humidity or saline corrosion experienced in long term storage.

LionHeart
15-12-2009, 08:59 AM
@12Gauge: Sir thanks for sharing this knowledgeable article, Indeed this would be a great help specially for those how storage their firearms for longer period of time.

regards,

A.Abbas
16-12-2009, 07:41 PM
@12gauge
thx n regards

as far as Pakguns Lubricant is concerned, search for it here and make as much as u want. about the VCI in pakistan, well....... when I was looking for it to make my own unfortunately due to unavailability I had to get a small sample shipped from singapore. it was VCI concentrate and I was barely able to make 200ml of VCI gun oil from it. good news is that commercial/specialty VCI gun oils are available online and u can get them shipped. no problems there. I had to take the longer/harder route cause I wanted to make my own (impulse thing, dont ask why).

Regards.
I think I have seen VCI (Probably) in Lahore in the hardware market (brandruth road), 3-4 months back I was searching for some kind of lamination to prevent oxidizing and met a lubricant dealer(don't remember the name), he has shown me an oil like thing and told that this not an oil, it is a chemical composition to prevent the oxidation of Iron products only. It was light brown color and very thin (low) in viscosity and the rate was Rs.1500/liter (if i remember correctly), I think this was a VCI thing, but let me check/confirm with him tomorrow, 'll let you know.

A.Abbas
18-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I got the samples yesterday, it is called LLRP (long life rust protector), it is of brown color, smells like one when you buy some new tool and they have some brown stuff on their exposed part.
These two samples, one is thin and the other one is thick, the thin one is prepared and the thick one, you can use it as is or ad some diesel to make it thinner for the required purpose i.e for long time storage use thicker and or short time thiner etc.
Price is for 1500/gallon for prepared (thiner) one, and 800/ltr for thick one.(these are the latest prices i got), and the guy told me that they are selling this mostly to gun-dealers.

A.Abbas
18-12-2009, 01:59 PM
@12gauge, I'll be in ISB on Monday or Tuesday, if you want i can bring the samples for you to test.

12GAUGE
19-12-2009, 12:21 AM
@12gauge, I'll be in ISB on Monday or Tuesday, if you want i can bring the samples for you to test.

sure bro, I would love to have it. kindly email me so I can send u my contact number.

Regards.

A.Abbas
19-12-2009, 07:55 PM
@12gauge, did you received my contact no.?

someone_001
01-09-2010, 03:54 AM
sorry guys to dig up the old thread but one should keep this alive for newcomers and for expert member to keep a check on stored items
http://s2.postimage.org/FHdUA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsFHdUA)

http://s2.postimage.org/FHgoJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsFHgoJ)

Gilani
05-09-2010, 02:39 AM
:o :o That's too bad

mhrehman
05-09-2010, 05:18 AM
bad indeed sir :(

Rasal.Saleh
05-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Thats a Disaster. :o :o :o ...
Did that happen to you brother or just a picture from somwhere.
I am very sorry if it is yours...

Regards

someone_001
05-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Thats a Disaster. :o :o :o ...
Did that happen to you brother or just a picture from somewhere.
I am very sorry if it is yours...

Regards

Nope not mine, but after reading the tread i did some research on the internet a tried to help the cause.

12GAUGE
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
AoA Everybody

Certain rubbers (foams in particular) are not stable over long period of time. its a pretty common phenomenon to see a rubber or foam turn to dust right in front of ones eyes once touched after getting it out of extended period storage.

Regards.

A.Abbas
05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Too bad, foam caused the hell and not suitable for long term storage, always use polythene wrap or bags and rust protectors. Kitchen shrink warps will also be usefull.

ACHILLES
07-09-2010, 07:07 PM
nice share someone_001.