PDA

View Full Version : Pls.Elaborate the second strike feature in 24/7 Taurus

Sami
05-11-2009, 05:53 AM
A-O-A,Read in the description of 24/7 (Taurus) that it gives you the second strike feature in the case of misfire. What does that exactly means? Does it have this special feature or one can perform it at any traditional SA/DA hand gun.
Personally, I doubt at the ignition of the misfired round upon second strike at the first place. They (Taurus) claimed that most of cartridges ignite at the second strike. Our expertís advice: should we perform second strike or re-chamber the fresh round manually at any given situation.

Keep up the good work and time by time educate us on the merits and demerits/precautions of keeping fire arms.

StevenCline
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
The second strike capability is not an ability present on all DA/SA pistol. Taurus 24/7 is advertised as DAO (double action only) which means when you pull the trigger it will cock the striker first, then release the striker to fire the pistol; both actions, two actions, double action.

The second strike capability will allow you to reset the trigger if the cartridge is not fired and then pull the trigger again to cock the striker and then release the striker again in an attempt to fire the cartridge which did not fire the first time.

I believe this to be a mixed blessing. Pulling the trigger alone is certainly faster than performing remedial action and pulling the trigger. But, if you pull the trigger a second time and the gun does not go bang a second time, you have wasted the time. In a life or death situation this is a gamble.

You may get that cartridge to fire faster than performing remedial action and pulling the trigger. Or you may not and still have to perform remedial action and pull the trigger.

For range shooting it's a nice feature. If the ammo you are shooting is of poor quality and you have a failure to fire, you can pull the trigger again and make certain that round is a dud. But it is not a necessary feature.

In a fight for your life it may or may not work to your advantage.

My belief is that when the gun goes click and not bang you should do the proper remedial action- slap up on the magazine to ensure it is seated, rack/cycle the slide to exject what maybe a bad cartridge and feed a fresh cartridge into the chamber for firing, then determine if you still need to shoot. Tap, Rack, Assess.

But it is truly not my place to tell anyone how to fight for their life. If you were to go right into remedial action and happen to die when simply pulling the trigger would have saved your life, I would feel very bad.

Here is an article for your reading pleasure:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_172_28/ai_n6204164/

They seem to like the 24/7.

Sami
05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Dear Steve, I Got your point that in any dire situation we can pull the trigger for second strike( take the gamble as you mentioned) because taking your eyes off the target could prove fatal. Rest all, do as you elaborated step by step.Very inclusive and comprehensive review. Appreciate the effort, thanks and regards

Abu Al Hawl
05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Taurus tried to give a little enhancement to a hammerless pistol and made that striker type trigger which work as you pull the trigger it will pull the fire pin spring back and releases it so it can go forward and hit the primer, called double action or 2nd strike, which did not work, why didnt Glocks made DAO because they knew its not worth, thats why Glock's hammerless strike is as powerful as any hammer type pistol. Taurus can only ignite a butter primer where as Glock's fire pin can even pierce a rock.

KageFox
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't trust my life to a double-strike feature... if you get a click instead of a BANG, immediately go into action, rack the slide back to chamber a new round....

The Taurus PT609 also has this feature, due to which it is unable to fire certain kinds of ammo (POF in this case) in the first strike and almost always requires a second strike... which is next to useless in a combat situation. It may be mentioned that the PT609 in my case has given absolutely no problems with either Chinese or Serbian ammo. In contrast, the same, apparently hard primer of the POF ammo easily fires when used in a Taurus PT917 (which is a regular DA/SA, with hammer).

Hope that helps...

Denovo87
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
IMHO, second strike capability is available in Taurus's Mil Pro (3rd Gen) pistols made on 24/7 platform and these are not DAO pistols but SA/DA action first time provided in hammerless firing pin block system, pls note its not conventional DA/SA found in hammered pistols.
It works in single action, like you have to rack the slide to chamber the round & cock the firing mechanism and all the subsequent shots will be fired in SA mode with light trigger. Second strike capability comes into action once a round "refuse to fire" on first strike at that point your pistol gets itself engaged automatically to DA giving you a second chance to hit the stubborn primer wihout going through the excercise of racking the slide to remove that round, and trigger pull will be slight heavy in this mode.

Topak
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
kanuni s has this feature....
when you pull the trigger it act same as revolvers... by pulling trigger it cock and release the hammer...and it takes double power to act DA.

Glockcohlic
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
The Taurus PT609 also has this feature, due to which it is unable to fire certain kinds of ammo (POF in this case) in the first strike and almost always requires a second strike

Most probably that POF round must me MK2Z ment to be with hard primer used for MP5.

KageFox
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Just checked the spent shells (yes I collect :D); marked "POF 07" and "9mm PIIZ"

Sami
07-11-2009, 01:52 AM
A-O-A, Thanks to all for the information, Specially Denovo 87, Sir, you have rightly elaborate the feature. Appreciate your effort.
I become bit suspicious about the PT609, could possibly change it when better CC option available and surely if budget permits. ALLAH-HAFIZ

Zhatash
07-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I think the TRB is the most reliable action in case of misfire.

Maximus
07-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Just checked the spent shells (yes I collect :D); marked "POF 07" and "9mm PIIZ"

Lol. I do too...well only the ones i fire.

btw Todd Jarett, uses DAO for shooting ranges.Hes like a top-notch marksmen/sportsman