PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 Results

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Here something i found the owner of the S&W M&P SAYS"So I took my new S&W M&P compact 9mm shooting for the first time this weekend, only putting 150 rounds through it. It shot pretty well, but I'm still getting used to the trigger, and shorter sight radius.

So I get home and take the gun apart for cleaning, and notice that muzzle looks a little strange. A closer look reveals what appears to be some small burrs where the rifling meets the muzzle. I'm not sure what would cause this, if its normal, or if it will go away. Kind of irks me since its a brand new gun, but maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about here"

http://s3.postimage.org/1YQi30.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1YQi30)

http://s3.postimage.org/1YQpxr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1YQpxr)

AK47
03-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Can't say exactly, seems like copper residue or something, sure some of the more experienced members will instantly understand. But what kind of ammo did you use in those 150 shots?

StevenCline
03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
That's really odd.

I echo the same question- what were you shooting? Any tracer ammo?

Did that... whatever... wipe off or was it actually part of the barrel?

Did you clean the barrel before firing?

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
folks this is not my gun. It belongs to someone else. And yes he was not shooting tracer rounds. Beside if i have 9mm pistol i would like to shoot every normal commercial ammo through it which is of the same caliber and within range of pressure limits given by the manufacturer of the weapon.

AK47
03-11-2009, 12:10 PM
That's true, you'd like to, yet the after-effects of slave whisky are somewhat quit different than those from a Chivas! cheers!

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
yeah but i do not want such a glass that requires only chevas whisky and would not accept water. ;)

Enigmatic Desires
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
yeah but i do not want such a glass that requires only chevas whisky and would not accept water. ;)

+1!! SM!!

But that stuff sure looks horrible.. I hope for the owner's sake that it does come off and is not the barrel disintegrating before his eyes!!!

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
:) yeah i also hope so

Enigmatic Desires
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
AN S&W disintegrating.. thats the stuff nightmares are made off.. Personaly though .. this is an absolute first.. I have known guns spacialy darra made ones breaking.. ka-booming.. misfiring. an a whole range of problems.. But disintegrating.. is an absolute first :o

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Not addressing the particular case but factually To tell you my opinion, S&W are beautiful guns but relatively they are not durable.

Enigmatic Desires
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Not addressing the particular case but factually To tell you my opinion, S&W are beautiful guns but relatively they are not durable.

If thats the way its barrel looks virtually NIB.. Then I concur most heartily good buddy!

AK47
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
+1 bro! Yet, I've never been in favor of substandard ammo, even if given free to me! And i wouldn't use it ever in THAT kind of a gun, anyway! However SM, seems like something really surprising with that gun, need not be ammo-related, could as well be maintenance related, or just ONE such RARE misadventure, that even most reputed firearms makers CAN be confronted with, who knows!

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
@AK 47
no one is such a fool who pays 200k for a gun and shoots sub-standard ammo through it. Specifically for those who have access to good amunition. Folks such kind of remarks are good for those who do not know guns.

Beside i have to show something to the forum and i did.

AK47
03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
@AK 47
no one is such a fool who pays 200k for a gun and shoots sub-standard ammo through it. Specifically for those who have access to good amunition. Folks such kind of remarks are good for those who do not know guns.

Beside i have to show something to the forum and i did. Bro, you're taking this whole issue into quite a reverse direction, while I was trying to discuss out with you the problem with your gun! When did I say YOU were using such ammo? Actually you yourself insinuated you wanted a gun that can take ALL loads of ALL types of commercial ammo, as long as it is within SAME caliber as well as corresponding to manufacturers specifications! Bro calm it, and I apologize if I hurt you by anyway. SORRY, but we're not quite used to 'heat' over here!

Abu Al Hawl
03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
the barrel looks weird to me those groves are just protruding from the muzzle end, barrels do not have any corners/edges, i havent seen this type of barrel and that is also for US made pistol, Zaroor koi Topi hai iss piece ke sathe, i doubt darra made barrel!!!!

Enigmatic Desires
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
The question being. How can an otherwise good gun from a reliable manufacturer have a lousy barrel?

GatlinGun
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Hello,

This is real interesting. Seems like the gun was fired with oil in the barrel using + P or 2Z round. There was some metallic residue in the barrel which has singed and deposited at the edge during the muzzle blast.

This is my best guess. Steel does not ash like this (unless at ultra high temperatures) and this looking like combusted copper or magnesium ash marks.

A rare possibility is that the Chrome lining of the barrel has been damaged, and is coming off with every round fired.

Regardless, get the barrel looked at by a gunsmith.

Best wishes,

GG

GatlinGun
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
@AK 47

Beside i have to show something to the forum and i did.

It would be nice if you tone down your thetoric a little bit, and I think everyone would appreciate a more cordial chat on this forum. Calling names is uncool.

SevenMagnum
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
@AK 47

Beside i have to show something to the forum and i did. Bro, you're taking this whole issue into quite a reverse direction, while I was trying to discuss out with you the problem with your gun! When did I say YOU were using such ammo? Actually you yourself insinuated you wanted a gun that can take ALL loads of ALL types of commercial ammo, as long as it is within SAME caliber as well as corresponding to manufacturers specifications! Bro calm it, and I apologize if I hurt you by anyway. SORRY, but we're not quite used to 'heat' over here!

@AK47
I THINK YOU GOT IT WRONG. I was not heating things, If i sounded like one than let me clear it i was not aggressive. Now i hope things would have been cleared. :) ;)

AK47
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
@Sevenmagnum... you're a bro!

Malik1
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
To me it also looks like a case of bad ammo (one could fire a bad ammo unwittingly as well like we had a case of bulged POF Ammo in some of the thread) as S&W would not make such a weird gun, but who knows some thing could be wrong with metallurgy as well

MIdreesTaj
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
It seems like no gun issue... its probably ammo issue.
Metal jackets have literally churned, kind of peeled off and burnt with hot gasses.. a faulty BULLET can do this to a barrel.. FYI, I have fired more than 1000 locally produced reloads and never seen such a reaction inside barrel or on the crown of muzzle.

@SevenMagnum - plz give exact details of ammo you have used. Just a guess, were they hollowpoints? chinese ones?

StevenCline
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
That's true, you'd like to, yet the after-effects of slave whisky are somewhat quit different than those from a Chivas! cheers!

LOL! Awesome! And both true and illustrative.

StevenCline
05-11-2009, 10:27 AM
This is real interesting. Seems like the gun was fired with oil in the barrel using + P or 2Z round. There was some metallic residue in the barrel which has singed and deposited at the edge during the muzzle blast.

This is my best guess. Steel does not ash like this (unless at ultra high temperatures) and this looking like combusted copper or magnesium ash marks.

A rare possibility is that the Chrome lining of the barrel has been damaged, and is coming off with every round fired.

GG and I are thinking the same thing- that metal on the crown almost looks like it was melted and depostited there when the bullet passed out of the barrel.

Resonably I would expect to see the same material in the groves, but I don't.

It has me scratching my head.

Dr Zakir
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
i think it is ammo issue , may be damaging the rifling .

Glockcohlic
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't think there is problem with the barrel or rifling as groves seems to be in-tact and in shape. What I can think of is that some one has tried a reload with a cheap or non standard projectile, which got melted by the emerging gas behind a projectile during sustained fire. Look at the melted stuff on the muzzle end, itís only on the groves very much like a melted projectile.

I have M&P 9L and hv seen itís performance with different loads. It shoots really well and hv seen the feed ramp, rifling and the muzzle end. Every thing seems to fine and very much like a Glock finish.

Shah143
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
How much the Price of this pistol and where it is avaliable easily

SevenMagnum
05-11-2009, 06:28 PM
@Dr Zakir
I agree with you that may be the rifling is damaged at the crown.