PDA

View Full Version : Important: For PT111 owners

Basharat
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Posted on another forum...
=================================

Plaintiff is a 28 year old business owner in northwest Etowah County. He was leaving his home, headed to his store when he unintentionally dropped his handgun. The handgun is a Taurus PT111 9mm Millennium, which he bought in 2004. He had the handgun loaded, with a round in the chamber, with the manual safety in the "on" position. It was also secured in a nylon holster with a strap. When the handgun fell, it struck the concrete floor with the butt of the gun. It discharged, striking the plaintiff in the upper thigh. The projectile travelled in an upward direction, through his abdomen and into his left lung. He suffered serious internal injuries, which included losing his spleen. The first police officer on the scene found the handgun with the manual safety in the "on" position. Once the handgun was photographed and taken into evidence, a fired (spent) shell casing was found in the chamber of the weapon. This was crucial evidence, because the manual safety on this model handgun locks the slide and prevents the rearward movement of the slide if the handgun discharges. This helped prove to the jury that the manual safety was in fact on at the time of the unintended discharge. Also, the manual safety has absolutely nothing to do with preventing an unintended discharge from dropping (if you can believe that). The defect in the handgun is the internal striker block (internal firing pin block). This is supposed to prevent the movement of the striker (firing pin) if the gun is exposed to a sharp impact (such as a drop). We actually were able to record on video a PT111 firing a primed case when dropped in a similar manner to our facts. The jury found that a defect existed and returned a 500k compensatory verdict and a 750k punitive verdict. Plaintiff had roughly 71k in specials.
There are still over 100k of these guns on the market. It will happen again if Taurus chooses not to do a recall. Taurus PT140's and PT145's have the same internal striker block mechanism. It is my belief that they will also discharge if dropped.
Thanks for the inquiry.
M. Todd Wheeles, Esq.

Basharat
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I Don't own one and have very minimal experience with the PT111 i just posted this for the information of those members who do. It's good to share this sort of information.

Salahuddin Ayubi
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Useful info basharat, thanks for sharing.

Ali Akbar
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
good article basharat bro specialy its helpful for pt111 owners

Shariq
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Ruger SR9 were recalled because of the similar problem.

KageFox
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Useful, yet alarming info.... Didn't think that the PT111 would have such issues...

Bullseye
02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Ooops. I am screwed.:D. I think its high time I should replace my baby with a 917 or come to think of it..........a cz 999

KageFox
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Problem is, the PT111 is one of the most compact ones around... don't know if something of same size or caliber is available at a similar price.... Though now I'd think twice about getting this one...

Salahuddin Ayubi
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Ruger SR9 were recalled because of the similar problem.

Shariq, check your email pls.

Bullseye
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

A different scenario altogether.

Glockcohlic
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I personally consider any GUN with a loaded chamber a vulnerable to fire the chambered round upon sudden impact or fall/drop out. This consideration has proven to be gud conscience as I hv handled my loaded gun more consciously..

In my experience person with the loaded chamber should always be more vigilant and careful while handling or holding the gun.

Mitho
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
medically speakin bullet pirced the guys leg travelled through his abdomen and entered his thoraxic cavity.
an average size arerican is 6 feet.even if we start from upper thight and man standing it will make over 20 inches of flesh that the bullet had to travel.let alone it missed the femur pelvic girdle. and pretty much u cant cross pelvic girdle without hittin a bone.
now how many 9mm loads do u know that will pirce around 24 inches of flesh.let
alone most of taurus guns cant handle +p loads.
it could be a freak accident but i havent seen bullets travelin for such amount in human body.
lucky guy

Basharat
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
@Mitho

Sir i think the extent of damage is secondary the fact that the gun went of is what the law suit was about.

Mitho
02-11-2009, 04:35 PM
thing is i was questioning the authencity of this case........

Basharat
02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
i did a Google search after reading this and here's what turned up

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20091016/NEWS/910169989?Title=Boaz-man-awarded-1-5-million-

Mitho
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
lucky guy.

Salahuddin Ayubi
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
lucky guy.

Trust me. You don't want to be lucky in 'such' a way. What if that bullet hit him in the groin instead of his thigh?

Ouch! Don't even want to think about it.

Mitho
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
thats what i am sayin missed his groin priced his abdomen made scrambled eggs of his spleen punctured his his lung and lived to enjoy his 1.5million dollars. l
lucky na

KageFox
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not defending Taurus here, but I found on a number of sites that the Taurus Millennium Series has satisfied the California Drop Safety test. Also, the news report mentions the Taurus Millennium (unlike the current Millennium PRO) which was known to have design flaws, including frame breakages.

SevenMagnum
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
@kagefox

I beg not to purchase that gun please please please..... :) ;)

KageFox
02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I understand perfectly sir :P

AK47
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
In my opinion, this could have happened to ANY internal striker mechanism pistol. Doubt, this would have been possible with a hammer firing one! Or, am I wrong here?

Enigmatic Desires
02-11-2009, 11:44 PM
There has always been a reason why I dislike striker fired weapons.. This is one of em...