PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Rifle Recommendation - Ammo Price in View

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I have gone through the pages upon pages of valuable insight given by PakGun members, and am more confused than usual.
I would like you to take a step back, and write your comments which will help a first time buyer for a hunting weapon:

Your recommendations should keep in view hunting of MEDIUM and LARGE game in Pakistan:

1) Which Caliber? and Why?

2) What is the typical price of Ammo of the caliber?

3) What is the grain of bullet one should buy? Why?

4) Which brand do you recommend? At what Price?

Opinion of Hunting Experts and Gun Enthusiasts is sought, for the benefit of all new members.

Best wishes,

Gatlingun

Salahuddin Ayubi
20-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Bro,

What type of game you're looking to hunt and at what distance?

These two things would help our learned members to be able to advise you.

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Bro,

Not just me, anyone buying their first hunting rifle, considering all kinds of potential game in Pakistan. I dont want to be become specific as that would make this like previous discussions.

Salahuddin Ayubi
20-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Bro,

Not just me, anyone buying their first hunting rifle, considering all kinds of potential game in Pakistan. I dont want to be become specific as that would make this like previous discussions.

This one is going to be a challenge for our PG hunters. :)

TAREEN
20-10-2009, 03:21 PM
There is no ONE answer to this scenario. When we say ALL KIND OF GAME, we need all kinds of rifles for the obvious reasons of size & strength of game and the distance its usually shot at.

An All Rounder rifle & cartridge has yet to be invented.

In my opinion, anyone looking for a rifle should go with the sequence of following points:
a. What MOSTLY one is going to hunt. Varmint/small, medium or big game?
b. What suitable calibers are available in the local market for that size of game? Price of ammo is a big consideration as well.
c. What are the available rifles in that caliber, brand & model wise?
d. What action one wants on the hunting rifle? Although bolt-action is the best but some prefer semi-auto as well specially in small calibers.
e. Out of the short-listed, which one fits in the budget?

BUY IT!

Details are available everywhere and two good ones are linked below:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles_game.htm

http://www.lashlerouxsafaris.co.za/index.php/hunting-articles/39-rifles-and-ammunition/66-rifle-calibers-and-their-killing-ability

ARMAGEDDON
20-10-2009, 03:50 PM
GG bro, i think for a novice like us. 243 is the best caliber very flat trajectory and sort of all rounder caliber. even am thinking of buying a winchester .243

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 05:23 PM
There is no ONE answer to this scenario. When we say ALL KIND OF GAME, we need all kinds of rifles for the obvious reasons of size & strength of game and the distance its usually shot at.

An All Rounder rifle & cartridge has yet to be invented.

In my opinion, anyone looking for a rifle should go with the sequence of following points:
a. What MOSTLY one is going to hunt. Varmint/small, medium or big game?
b. What suitable calibers are available in the local market for that size of game? Price of ammo is a big consideration as well.
c. What are the available rifles in that caliber, brand & model wise?
d. What action one wants on the hunting rifle? Although bolt-action is the best but some prefer semi-auto as well specially in small calibers.
e. Out of the short-listed, which one fits in the budget?

BUY IT!

Details are available everywhere and two good ones are linked below:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles_game.htm

http://www.lashlerouxsafaris.co.za/index.php/hunting-articles/39-rifles-and-ammunition/66-rifle-calibers-and-their-killing-ability

You answered my question with more questions. For medium or large game (not a shot gun or .22), what do you recommend?

PrivateEye
20-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Interesting topic :)

Lets wait for expert's recommendations

Silent killerr
20-10-2009, 05:25 PM
i think 7mm is best for big game

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Interesting topic :)

Lets wait for expert's recommendations

Yeah, I hope we can get some clear answers and "recommendations" along the line of my questions.

There is no right answer, everyone has their preferences, but I am hoping that by seeing many differing opinions, one would be able to make up their own mind.

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 05:26 PM
GG bro, i think for a novice like us. 243 is the best caliber very flat trajectory and sort of all rounder caliber. even am thinking of buying a winchester .243

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 05:28 PM
i think 7mm is best for big game

1) Why 7mm?

Naazer
20-10-2009, 06:45 PM
GG

The various threads have answered this several times so its like reinventing the wheel. I seriously doubt that this thread will thro up anything new.

What i suggest is that you actually get out there with some friends who hunt for a couple of shoots and see what suits you well.

My experience has actually been the best with a 270. Though i've been using a friends. My own 222 has been relegated as the former is the one that i use most often. With a 308 sometimes my shot placement is a bit off and the calibr is so big that it goes straight through making the animal actually running into the jungle-either injured or makig finding the trophy difficult. (esp with Boars under 170 yds)

Now before you go out and buy a rifle get out there, shoot with a few and see what suits you best and then go out and buy that. It might be a 7mm, 243, 222, 270, 308 or even a 22 variant.

And you will mostly be shooting boars (the ibexes, markhors, deers and african safaris will be later---much later I guess) so there will be no real long distance shooting so any of the smaller calibers will also be fine.

And at the expense of repeating: Get out there, Shoot on a few hunts, Use some frineds rifles and buy the one that best suits you. No substitute for experience!

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 06:54 PM
GG

The various threads have answered this several times so its like reinventing the wheel. I seriously doubt that this thread will thro up anything new.

What i suggest is that you actually get out there with some friends who hunt for a couple of shoots and see what suits you well.

My experience has actually been the best with a 270. Though i've been using a friends. My own 222 has been relegated as the former is the one that i use most often. With a 308 sometimes my shot placement is a bit off and the calibr is so big that it goes straight through making the animal actually running into the jungle-either injured or makig finding the trophy difficult. (esp with Boars under 170 yds)

Now before you go out and buy a rifle get out there, shoot with a few and see what suits you best and then go out and buy that. It might be a 7mm, 243, 222, 270, 308 or even a 22 variant.

And you will mostly be shooting boars (the ibexes, markhors, deers and african safaris will be later---much later I guess) so there will be no real long distance shooting so any of the smaller calibers will also be fine.

And at the expense of repeating: Get out there, Shoot on a few hunts, Use some frineds rifles and buy the one that best suits you. No substitute for experience!

Thank you for the 270 vote, and for good advice. I guess people who don't have hunting friends are still screwed.

While this question has been asked so many times, I would appreciate if people give their valuable feedback along the lines that I am asking, as I think it will help many newcomers to rifle ownership.

MUSTANIR
20-10-2009, 06:55 PM
@ Naazer ,,, sir you sound like a true veteran and I think further discussion will be only for the sake of discussion only. sir you seem bit dissatisfied with 308,, any reasons becoz i m looking to get one.

I suggest beginners should start with a 243 or 270,,, later on adjust according to specific scenario,,,,

Naazer
20-10-2009, 06:58 PM
GG

I still wonder what info you will get here that isn't already on the other threads regarding the same. And the info is on the lines that you asked for: Caliber, Price of ammo, Price of rifle, Price of scope (refer to posts by skeeter60 on scopes) and stopping power.

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 08:09 PM
@ Naazer ,,, sir you sound like a true veteran and I think further discussion will be only for the sake of discussion only. sir you seem bit dissatisfied with 308,, any reasons becoz i m looking to get one.

I suggest beginners should start with a 243 or 270,,, later on adjust according to specific scenario,,,,

Thank you for your suggestion. Which of the two has cheaper and more available ammunition?

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 08:10 PM
GG

I still wonder what info you will get here that isn't already on the other threads regarding the same. And the info is on the lines that you asked for: Caliber, Price of ammo, Price of rifle, Price of scope (refer to posts by skeeter60 on scopes) and stopping power.

Thank you for your recommendation. I am looking forward to the experts giving their opinion along the lines that I have requested.

Naazer
20-10-2009, 08:16 PM
@mustansir: the only reason i was unhappy with the 308 was no fault of the rifle. My shot placement was off and for medium game the caliber is unforgiving as the caliber is so powerful it goes straight through and injures the animal giving him time to run away and die elsewhere(to me a cruel shot on the hunter's part!) a caliber like a 270 ensures that the bullet doesnt go straight thru at shorter distances and gets a dead drop even if the shot placement is slightly off.

i woukd use a 308 for longer distances but like i said ibexes and 300 yard shots are not my cup of tea. great rifle it is but no for the shooting i see myself doing for the next few yrs

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 08:25 PM
My opinion is caliber: 7mm Mauser, .30-06 rifle: Wichester, remington or anyother commercially made rifle with Drilling and taping for scope mounts or with scope mounted on it.
Price of ammo 7mm Mauser from 100 t0 150 per cat. 30-06 150 to 250 may be abit more. Both
calibers are capable of taking care any game animal available in Pakistan.
AMMO FOR 7mm MAUSER 140 to 175 grains. Long range shooting (upto 300 yards upto 200 pounds of animal) 140 grains else short range 175 grains for heavy body animal of having weight upto 500 pounds. In .30-06 there is a wide variety of grains but 150, 165 or 180 graains are considered fine.
For real long range and shots at acute angles and added potency 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM with 150 or 175 grains of bullets.

CougarMan
20-10-2009, 08:46 PM
The ideal caliber for Pakistani game is the 7x57 (7mm). It will allow you a comfortable practical range to shoot from and has a flat predictable trajectory.

Its cheaper to shoot than a .243 or a .270. Ammo is relatively easy to find in Pakistan and probably the cheapest of the medium calibers. Recoil is also manageable and you would not be lacking in terms of power...this caliber has been used to cull hundreds of elephants and other large African game.

Last but not least, you should also be able to get a good bolt action rifle cheaply for this caliber (as compared to others).

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 08:49 PM
My opinion is caliber: 7mm Mauser, .30-06 rifle: Wichester, remington or anyother commercially made rifle with Drilling and taping for scope mounts or with scope mounted on it.
Price of ammo 7mm Mauser from 100 t0 150 per cat. 30-06 150 to 250 may be abit more. Both
AMMO FOR 7mm MAUSER 140 to 175 grains. Long range shooting (upto 300 yards upto 200 pounds of animal) 140 grains else short range 175 grains for heavy body animal of having weight upto 500 pounds. In .30-06 there is a wide variety of grains but 150, 165 or 180 graains are considered fine.
For real long range and shots at acute angles and added potency 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM with 150 or 175 grains of bullets.

Thank you for a very detailed and precise response.

GatlinGun
20-10-2009, 08:51 PM
The ideal caliber for Pakistani game is the 7x57 (7mm). It will allow you a comfortable practical range to shoot from and has a flat predictable trajectory.

Its cheaper to shoot than a .243 or a .270. Ammo is relatively easy to find in Pakistan and probably the cheapest of the medium calibers. Recoil is also manageable and you would not be lacking in terms of power...this caliber has been used to cull hundreds of elephants and other large African game.

Last but not least, you should also be able to get a good bolt action rifle cheaply for this caliber (as compared to others).

Thank you for your valuable comments. While people have recommended a 243 to me, also here, it seems that the recommendations for 7mm are the most prevalent. I am looking forward to what other hunters and rifle owners have to say.

Salahuddin Ayubi
20-10-2009, 09:41 PM
What options are available in KHI market in 7mm bolt action hunting rifles and price range also?

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 10:01 PM
243 ammo price is going to be not less than Rs 300 per cat. AND 308 decent rifle will cost you more than nice rifle in 7mm so as the ammo. Always stick to bolt action rifle no semi auto. Because bolt action rifles are inherently more accurate than semi autos.

ARMAGEDDON
20-10-2009, 10:07 PM
its all shot placement game brother ;)

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 10:14 PM
CHAP IS A BEGINNER man do not stretch him to hard ARMAGADDON.

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 10:15 PM
let him choose his rifle rest of the lesson goes after.

ARMAGEDDON
20-10-2009, 10:17 PM
oh! am I? GG bro sorry yar :rolleyes:

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Gupshup yar do not feel sorry armageddon:)

ARMAGEDDON
20-10-2009, 10:22 PM
i know yaar no worries dont feel that lets chilllllllllllll

SevenMagnum
20-10-2009, 10:25 PM
THANKS Bro for the tap

ARMAGEDDON
20-10-2009, 10:32 PM
cheers

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 12:13 AM
CHAP IS A BEGINNER man do not stretch him to hard ARMAGADDON.

I am not that green, however I think people's opinion will help others in similar positions as well.

SevenMagnum
21-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Ok bro but i was not tellin you. It was a post for someone else. I know about ur intro to guns by ur question. If harmed need apology bro.

SevenMagnum
21-10-2009, 12:19 AM
no intention of offending you bro.

MUSTANIR
21-10-2009, 01:48 AM
we were talking about 308 can somebody check on its availability,, plz

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 01:52 AM
no intention of offending you bro.

Not offended, we are all contributors.

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 01:54 AM
we were talking about 308 can somebody check on its availability,, plz

Don't hijack my thread, this is about hunting rifles and ammo affordability.

MUSTANIR
21-10-2009, 03:25 AM
308 is a hunting rifle,, info is for everyone brother,,

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Armageddon, SevenMagnum and Mustansir..... my brothers....... I will appreciate if the chitchat can be taken somewhere else. Maybe a separate thread.

Coming back to the topic.

What options are available in KHI market in 7mm bolt action hunting rifles and price range also? Info regarding NIB as well as used will be appreciated.

Moreover, from some old posts by our hunters, I picked up that new Parker-Hale 7mm (GM Dosul Pakistan assembled) are available in KHI, LHR and ISB in the range of 30k - 35k. My question is, has anyone recently seen one of these PHs in KHI...... AND....... do our PG hunters recommend this gun as someone's first hunting gun?

SevenMagnum
21-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Ayubi sahib you only read the chit chat not the rest of it. Info regarding the caliber plus everyting else is on page 1. Sorry to disturbe you with chit chat. :)

Cheers.

Osam
21-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Armageddon, SevenMagnum and Mustansir..... my brothers....... I will appreciate if the chitchat can be taken somewhere else. Maybe a separate thread.

What options are available in KHI market in 7mm bolt action hunting rifles and price range also? Info regarding NIB as well as used will be appreciated.

Moreover, from some old posts by our hunters, I picked up that new Parker-Hale 7mm (GM Dosul Pakistan assembled) are available in KHI, LHR and ISB in the range of 30k - 35k. My question is, has anyone recently seen one of these PHs in KHI...... AND....... do our PG hunters recommend this gun as someone's first hunting gun?
Well i have no experience with bolt actions but have accompanied friends to buy them so i have an idea regarding the costs and brands available. If you consider bolt actions, there are very few bolt actions available in the resonable price range and are mostly available in .243 and 7mm. The most preferred is 7mm but have no clue why. There are 3 brands in the reasonable price range that i know of they being Parker Hale (Local assembled by GM Dosul but Barrel and Bolt are imported), BSA England (Local assembled by GM Dosul but Barrel and Bolt are imported) and the CZ Brno.
Prices are as follows:
Parker Hale 7mm - 26k
BSA England 7mm - 28k
CZ Brno 7mm or .243 - 50k
I have no idea about other brands but if you are considering a bolt action in the 100k range then the best bet you have is the CZ Brno considering its price, finishing and reliability. There are absolutely no issues with the Parker Hale and BSA, they are good for starters and are very good low budget rifles. The only problem that i came to know of, was that it is very difficult to put on a scope on them. The CZ on the other hand is a complete package. The ammo for 7mm costs around 185-200rs. per piece. I have no clue about the Grains for this bullet but the brand is Winchester, for ammo. Our member Sohail bhai has bought a CZ Brno and our member Moin bhai bought a Parker Hale or BSA. So they would be the best people to get a complete insight about these rifle's.

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Thankyou so much Osama for the valuable insight.

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Well i have no experience with bolt actions but have accompanied friends to buy them so i have an idea regarding the costs and brands available. If you consider bolt actions, there are very few bolt actions available in the resonable price range and are mostly available in .243 and 7mm. The most preferred is 7mm but have no clue why. There are 3 brands in the reasonable price range that i know of they being Parker Hale (Local assembled by GM Dosul but Barrel and Bolt are imported), BSA England (Local assembled by GM Dosul but Barrel and Bolt are imported) and the CZ Brno.
Prices are as follows:
Parker Hale 7mm - 26k
BSA England 7mm - 28k
CZ Brno 7mm or .243 - 50k
I have no idea about other brands but if you are considering a bolt action in the 100k range then the best bet you have is the CZ Brno considering its price, finishing and reliability. There are absolutely no issues with the Parker Hale and BSA, they are good for starters and are very good low budget rifles. The only problem that i came to know of, was that it is very difficult to put on a scope on them. The CZ on the other hand is a complete package. The ammo for 7mm costs around 185-200rs. per piece. I have no clue about the Grains for this bullet but the brand is Winchester, for ammo. Our member Sohail bhai has bought a CZ Brno and our member Moin bhai bought a Parker Hale or BSA. So they would be the best people to get a complete insight about these rifle's.

Thank you for the market sample.

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 08:46 PM
GG,

the 7mm rifle prices are great but bluddy hell 200/cartridge is darn expensive. In 150 shots one would have spent the amount of the rifle itself. hehehe

hmmmmm. What's your take on this?

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 09:28 PM
GG,

the 7mm rifle prices are great but bluddy hell 200/cartridge is darn expensive. In 150 shots one would have spent the amount of the rifle itself. hehehe

@SA
You cannot compare a hunting rifle to a sidearm. While initially you will go through some rounds to zero your rifle and set your aim, you will, most likely, not use 150 shots in a while unless you are are hunting every weekend, which is highly unlikely.

I recommend you buy the rifle you need, and buy 50 rounds with it. Do some practice and set your aim. Even if you attend many hunts, you will use maximum one or two rounds per animal. The rounds will last you a while.

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 09:32 PM
GG,

@SA
You cannot compare a hunting rifle to a sidearm. While initially you will go through some rounds to zero your rifle and set your aim, you will, most likely, not use 150 shots in a while unless you are are hunting every weekend, which is highly unlikely.

I recommend you buy the rifle you need, and buy 50 rounds with it. Do some practice and set your aim. Even if you attend many hunts, you will use maximum one or two rounds per animal. The rounds will last you a while.

I get your point. Even a trip to the range would translate to around 20 shots on average per visit or something like that.

SevenMagnum
21-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Ayubi sahib make every shot count. if you connect 50% i think you would have shot 75 animals. And yes shooting is an expensive hobby. But you see there is no other option. I think ak47 is than the answer, which is not a sporting weapon. :)

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Ayubi sahib make every shot count. if you connect 50% i think you would have shot 75 animals. And yes shooting is an expensive hobby. But you see there is no other option. I think ak47 is than the answer, which is not a sporting weapon. :)

Hunting? Who said anything about hunting? hehehe

Its one thing of which I will have to develop a taste.

My objective is just to learn the art of shooting accurately at a target at 300 yards. Kapish.

Never thought about killing an animal UNLESS I had to eat it OR it was a religious obligation.

SevenMagnum
21-10-2009, 09:45 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sorry than. My mistake. AS THREAD CAPTION " Hunting Rifle Recommendation - Ammo Price in View". I thought that....... never mind. go for .308. Hard nose bullets. They are cheap.

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-10-2009, 09:49 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sorry than. My mistake. go for .308. Hard nose bullets. They are cheap.

Oh bhains...........

What's the price of .308 and what options in .308 rifles are there in Karachi Market with prices (new and used)?

Thanks in advance.

GatlinGun
21-10-2009, 10:12 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sorry than. My mistake. go for .308. Hard nose bullets. They are cheap.

Oh bhains...........

What's the price of .308 and what options in .308 rifles are there in Karachi Market with prices (new and used)?

Thanks in advance.

I think .308 rifle is expensive to buy, but you can use the G3 cartridge in it. I agree with earlier opinions that it will go right through the game at a 100 yards shoot. and your trophy will gallop away.

Regardless, what are the prices for reference?

MUSTANIR
22-10-2009, 12:17 AM
So would the thread master mind if I ask again of availability and price of 308 rifle anywhere in Pk:rolleyes:

SevenMagnum
22-10-2009, 12:27 AM
gatlingun Ayubi sahib is only intrested in marksmanship not hunting where as thread starter is asking something different. so....... i am confused.

MUSTANIR
22-10-2009, 12:44 AM
@ 7mag SAME HERE I THINK GENTLEMAN IS NOT SURE ABOUT HIS OWN QUERY;)

Salahuddin Ayubi
22-10-2009, 02:42 AM
gatlingun Ayubi sahib is only intrested in marksmanship not hunting where as thread starter is asking something different. so....... i am confused.

I apologize for 'hijacking' this thread. It was started by brother Gatlingun and his interest is to hunt medium to large size game.

So I'm dropping out and let's stick to GG's questions and concerns.

Regards

Dr Hanif Malik
22-10-2009, 06:51 AM
very intersting discussion brothers in btvn you keep it up i will jump later.

GatlinGun
22-10-2009, 12:07 PM
@ 7mag SAME HERE I THINK GENTLEMAN IS NOT SURE ABOUT HIS OWN QUERY;)

Mustansir, I hope you are only kidding...

GatlinGun
22-10-2009, 12:10 PM
very intersting discussion brothers in btvn you keep it up i will jump later.

Please give us your opinion on the requested topic.

Malik1
22-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Too strict a control you are exercising GG

In my opinion .3006 is the best caliber. It has ammo for nearly all types of games starting from a lowly 90 grains to a 180 grain bullet for a med size game. Probably it has a 220 grain bullet also but I,m not sure about it as I read it some where. I had a BSA Churchill 7mm but I sold it and am looking for a .3006 now. I have used .3006 Remington and with a Bushnell scope it was bloody good at 250 meters

SevenMagnum
22-10-2009, 10:46 PM

AS I SAID. I AM STICKING TO MY WORDS EVEN NOW.

GatlinGun
11-11-2009, 03:44 AM

AS I SAID. I AM STICKING TO MY WORDS EVEN NOW.

Thank you for everyone who contributed. I have decided on a BRNO 7 mm rifle. I now await my license to arrive to make my acquisition.

Salahuddin Ayubi
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Congratulations in advance.

Nice choice btw.

SevenMagnum
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Mubarak in Advance.

GatlinGun
11-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Mubarak in Advance.

@SevenM, SA, thanks, I fired it last weekend without the scope and hit straight and flat at 100 yards without a scope, and I am not a good shot. I think this rifle is a rare gem till it is available in the old stocks that people are holding.

Salahuddin Ayubi
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
So you are going for both, a BRNO .22 as well as a BRNO 7mm. That's wonderful.

Do fill us up with a detailed review later.

Sohail
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
i also have BRNO in 7mm and i find it very chikoo. good decision bro.

regards

GatlinGun
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
So you are going for both, a BRNO .22 as well as a BRNO 7mm. That's wonderful.

Do fill us up with a detailed review later.

Yeah, unless they run out of them.

GatlinGun
11-11-2009, 02:04 PM
i also have BRNO in 7mm and i find it very chikoo. good decision bro.

regards

Yes, I only hear praises for the BRNO 7mm ZKK 600 series.

SevenMagnum
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
GATLINGUN BRNO is the order.

GatlinGun
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
GATLINGUN BRNO is the order.

Yes. I intend to a complete review once they arrive at mi casa.

Cheers.