PDA

View Full Version : Oiling firing pin

SAJJAD ALI
19-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it safe or good to oil the firing pin of hammerless pistol?

Glocky
20-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Unless you just want to clean the firing pin channel, never ever put oil near or on a firing pin its just attracts dirt, gunpowder residue etc. This applies to both hammer and striker fired pistols. What you can do if and only if the firing pin channel is really dirty and causing light primer strikes is to pour some solvent or cleaning fluid down the channel making sure that the slide is standing on the muzzle end to ensure any excess drains out. You can then use compressed air to clear any remaining fluid/solvent.

Oil on a firing pin is a big no no. It can cause the ammo primers to contaminate by leaking in the magazine.

SAJJAD ALI
21-10-2009, 02:47 AM
thanks glocky

Glocky
21-10-2009, 11:56 AM
You are welcome mate, may i ask the specific reason for your query for perhaps a better solution

KageFox
21-10-2009, 12:03 PM
The person at Haris Traders said that this is often the problem with Taurus PT609 and related ammo misfires. From the factory, the gun is TOO well-oiled, somehow causes the firing pin to malfunction.

@Glocky: Useful tips, sir.

Glocky
21-10-2009, 12:15 PM
@KF, thanks for appreciation bro, actually i learned it the hard way on the very same model that you mentioned :)

Cleaning and maintenance is something i take very seriously as reliability is the most cherished value for me in any weapon.

SAJJAD ALI
22-10-2009, 03:35 PM
i also faced some problems with my pt24/7

Jillanik
12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
A big NO to oil firing pin. Always apply light oil film on your weapons otherwise, they might mal-function due to accumulation of dust & sand.

PUNJTANI5
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
there is no need to oil the firing pin

when firing pin is cleaned with petrol and then dried it is ready to use

so is the case with firing pin housing/hole

clean it with petrol as it dries quickly and the try to dry it before inserting the firing pin

in most cases bone dry condition is recommended