PDA

View Full Version : Use of WD-40 on outer surface of weapons

Kamran_uk75
28-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Can I spray WD-40 on the outer surface of my weapons for protection against rust, moreover can it be sprayed inside the barrels?

AK47
28-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Sure it can be sprayed inside the barrel and then left there for a while to do it's work in there, but I doubt the external use of it! I wouldn't suggest it, besides exterior of guns rarely rust, unless you haven't seen the face of them for months or years!

Abu Al Hawl
28-09-2009, 09:00 PM
alway use oil, wipe the surface with slightly oil dipped cotton cloth.

MIdreesTaj
28-09-2009, 09:31 PM
i recommend to use WD40 as a de-greaser only.. and not a lubricant at all.
Infact type of lubrication it leaves inside gun parts is BAD for the lube you will apply next to your gun after cleaning... because it tends to mix up with the lube and break its component/structure and render it less useful.
Try to clean out soot from inside the barrel using a Contact cleaner like Philips(Holland) (not the electronic company), it degreases gun parts like barrels, frame hinges and slide rails internals and quickly dries out. Then you can apply your favorite lube/anti-rust coating.

MIdreesTaj
28-09-2009, 09:38 PM
and its better not to flush the barrel with lube, just plunge/pull through a plug lightly soaked in oil through the barrel.. and that is just more than enough.
more lube in barrel will eventually make you holster dirty or whereever the gun is placed, bcuz oil will seep out slowly within the next say 48 hours or so.. and will seep backwards to loaded magazine and make your ammo dirty...
Oiled ammo is way more suspected to misfire.. though tests have been conducted prooving against this theory but its always better to keep your ammo dry...

Glocky
28-09-2009, 10:14 PM
i recommend to use WD40 as a de-greaser only.. and not a lubricant at all.
Infact type of lubrication it leaves inside gun parts is BAD for the lube you will apply next to your gun after cleaning... because it tends to mix up with the lube and break its component/structure and render it less useful.
Try to clean out soot from inside the barrel using a Contact cleaner like Philips(Holland) (not the electronic company), it degreases gun parts like barrels, frame hinges and slide rails internals and quickly dries out. Then you can apply your favorite lube/anti-rust coating.

i use the degreaser as well but not for the barrel, i don't particularly see any benefit. It is good for cleaning the weapon from all cleaning fluids, solvents and oils as mentioned.

FI Philips is the same and only company, i just checked my can :)

Abu Al Hawl
28-09-2009, 10:26 PM
:lol:

Conceal Carry
28-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Spray it anywhere you like (on the weapon only), it will clean and provide SOME protection against corrosion.

Ahsanfurqan
28-09-2009, 11:15 PM
means instead of any other oil or lubricant one can only rely on WD-40?

Shariq
28-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Allow me to repeat what i have learnt from senior members discussion earlier.
WD stands for water dispenser. Its just an average lubricant not suitable for firearms. Its cleaning power is also weak and a lot of residue is left even after thorough scrubbing.
Plz use 12Gauge's cleaner and Lubricant formula. Its really good and economical.
http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1560

Malik1
28-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Shariq Thanks. Thats appears to be a better cleaner and lub. I have not tried it so far as I was using the service issued oil and lubricant which is quite viscous. I will now give it a try

12GAUGE
29-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Can I spray WD-40 on the outer surface of my weapons for protection against rust, moreover can it be sprayed inside the barrels?

allow me to pitch in my two cents:

for short term rust protection only, WD40 works just fine. however there is a catch to it. it gums up after some time (when the solvent evaporates) and once that happens it can cause an obstruction in the barrel or restrict movement of certain parts which can damage ur firearm.

for cleaning of carbon, WD40 works but u can also get same results from plain old kerosene. so i guess the JUICE IS NOT WORTH THE SQUEEZE.

for long term rust protection, WD40 is not at all recommended, STAY AWAY

for weapon lubrication, WD40 works but barely. its flash point is too low, meaning it oxidizes at much lower temperature than dedicated firearm lubricants. secondly, it viscosity index is on the lower side as well, meaning it doesnt resist temperature change (does not provide enough lubrication through the whole temperature spectrum). MEANING: WD40 will not stay in ur weapon for long. it will evaporate as the weapon heats up, it will burn and leave carbon/ash which will further gumup ur weapon and will cause it to wear prematurely, something that can easily be eliminated with a speciality firearm lubricant.

if u want to get the best homemade recipe, search the forum for Pakguns cleaner and if u want the best home made lubricant (best not because its homemade) kindly search for Pakguns lubricant.

Regards.

p.s. WD40 doesnt harm bluing, parkering and powder coating. it does not harm polymers as well.

Kamran_uk75
29-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes bro

XMen
29-09-2009, 11:01 PM
i always use wd-40 outer and inner surface

Conceal Carry
29-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Will only clean and protect, not lubricate as a weapon should be lubricated. After spraying WD40, wipe clean the weapon thoroughly then apply whatever lubricating oil you use.