PDA

View Full Version : Night Hawk Custome T3 and Wilson Combat CQB

StevenCline
25-09-2009, 01:25 AM
On Sunday I was at the range to shoot competition. And older man was there chatting with the Director but soon left. Shortly afterwards the director told me the man had brought out a Night Hawk Custom and a Wilson CQB. He was letting people inspect and even shoot a few rounds through them.

I quickly followed him to another part of the range and engaged him in conversation which I quickly turned to the two guns he had with him

I recently read an article on the Night Hawk Custom T3, which was the same model he had with him. I was really looking forward to fondling the T3 since the article so fawned over the T3.
http://www.nighthawktactical.com/T3_ultimate.html
http://www.nighthawktactical.com/t3/t3-uccp.jpg
Now the pictures on the webpage are gorgeous. The owner found the grips too agressive and had placed some Wilson Combat Starburst pattern grips on the gun.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/g10starburst.asp
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_pearlpistol_200903-A4.jpg
The grips were good looking, but I didn't appreciate them on the all black gun. I thought the black grips original to the T3 looked better.

I shot it. Oh, yes you bet I did!

I was a bit dissappointed. I humbly accept that such a statement sounds arrogant, but the trigger wasn't great, a bit heavy and just kind of... unpleasant. It was accurate. It also was sort of displeased with the recoil. Not that it was snappy or hard or twisted or such, I suspect that I am very used to the recoil of a full sized 1911.

I appreciated the small and subtle but present magwell.

Next the owner afforded me the chance to shoot the Wilson CQB.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_compact.asp
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handguns/cqb_compact/large/12.jpg

This gun was also very accurate, the trigger was much better than the T3. The recoil felt better, maybe it was a matter of spring weight or frame to slide fit. Now if it had a magwell it would be about perfect.

Both guns fired a magazine without hiccup.

I reciprocated and let the owner fire my Kimber. Good times at a range are made of moments like that. Three well made 1911s being shot by 1911 fans.

KageFox
25-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks to your posts, Steve, we are able to get a momentary glimpse in the wide, wonderful world of 1911s :D

Btw, beautiful pistols, especially the Wilson. I read that Nighthawk Custom 1911s were more expensive than normal - that true?

Enigmatic Desires
25-09-2009, 05:17 AM
I 've read bout em in gun mags.. But I don't think there are many (if any) of those in the local market

KageFox
25-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Agree with you, read about them (and similar) in every other magazine issue... but I believe aside from Taurus, Norinco and a few used Colts, we don't have much of 1911s here...

Adeel Ahmad
25-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Steve, after reading your range experiences i just start feeling like shifting to USA.
Why dont you get a License and start exporting such items to Pskistan. You will sell everything right here on the Forum. Heck i will buy one of everything :)

Ahmad
25-09-2009, 01:48 PM
& i will take a usgi colt any day of the week, rest are all clones, some are better some do not. but thats me between nice pistols

StevenCline
25-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I read that Nighthawk Custom 1911s were more expensive than normal - that true?

My friend, I have no idea. The discussion and arguments over what justifies $2000 or $3000 US for a handgun baffles me.

I admit to being a bit of a hypocrit in that I spent around $1600 for my Kimber Supermatch II, then immediately replaced the front sight with a Dawson fiber-optic. But I have never regretted buying it.

Maybe we just chalk it up to capitalism? If someone bought the T3 then it was worth it to someone.

Dr Zakir
25-09-2009, 10:44 PM
thankyou for sharing your experiences . what do u think 1911 from ed brown and STI as compared to kimbers

Slayerjatt
26-09-2009, 01:06 AM
beautiful guns. thanks for sharing sir.

MHMalik
26-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Lovely handguns! A custom Wilson would be the only U.S made semi auto I would love to own. Too bad we have restrictions :(

StevenCline
26-09-2009, 07:10 PM
thankyou for sharing your experiences . what do u think 1911 from ed brown and STI as compared to kimbers

The STI factory is just a couple hours drive north of me. I would like to visit their factory, but I keep delaying. STI enjoys a stellar reputation for building great guns. Their STI Single Stack and Sentinel Premier models are equivilent of the Kimber Supermatch II. You will see a a lot of STI in competition and I believe that is quiet testimony to the quality and dependability of their products. Many guys who think 100 rounds is practice, shot slowly so the gun doesn't get to hot, and the gun is thoroughly cleaned and put back in the safe may buy Wilson and Les Baer, I just don't see those same guns being put to the test in competition. STI's are- and they run and win.

I can't offer you much insight in to Ed Brown. I have some of his after market products. When a part breaks on my Kimber I replace it with an Ed Brown (if you shoot a lot, you will break parts, it just happens). I have also broken the Ed Brown parts as well (the extended slide stop about 3 times now- they snag on my short sometimes). I just visited the Ed Brown webpage :wow: them is some pricey guns. Over $3000 US and the firearm doesn't have a magwell or ambidextrous safety?? I think I have fired an Ed Brown 1911- the range I work at has a 1911 they rent which I suspect is a well used Ed Brown. It is nice, but not nice enough to justify the price. It may be unfair of me to base an opinion of a "rental gun" which has probably been "shot out."

StevenCline
26-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Steve, after reading your range experiences i just start feeling like shifting to USA.
Why dont you get a License and start exporting such items to Pskistan. You will sell everything right here on the Forum. Heck i will buy one of everything :)

It is clear there is demand for the product, I am afraid I would go to jail for violating US Export restrictions or something.

Adeel Ahmad
28-09-2009, 12:17 PM

It is clear there is demand for the product, I am afraid I would go to jail for violating US Export restrictions or something.
Sir people are already doing through legal and proper channel. There is restriction but people do get License to import items. Many Americans are playing part in it and making money.

Abbas
28-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Great little review Steven, I am in love with the 1911 series and would love to own a Kimber. Sadly however they are not available here at all. All I could find was a Taurus 1911 even that I had to have ordered.

Older Colt 1911's and Chinese copies of the 1911 are available but I don't like them much. I did have the trigger of my Taurus tweaked and at around 3 pounds it is a treat to fire.

Ammo cost is also a major factor towards the low popularity of .45 pistols. It's about a $1 per bullet.

StevenCline
28-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Great little review Steven, I am in love with the 1911 series and would love to own a Kimber. Sadly however they are not available here at all. All I could find was a Taurus 1911 even that I had to have ordered.

Older Colt 1911's and Chinese copies of the 1911 are available but I don't like them much. I did have the trigger of my Taurus tweaked and at around 3 pounds it is a treat to fire.

Ammo cost is also a major factor towards the low popularity of .45 pistols. It's about a $1 per bullet.

$1 / shot!!!! Yikes!!!

How available is reloading equipment?

I bought a Dillon 550B and dies and have been reloadin steadily since the first of the year. It costs me about $0.08 a bullet (yes, just 8 cents)

You can reload brass for a long time. If you have the equipment you can pour your own lead bullets... now all one is buying is primers and powder.

Maybe this is the next business oportunity for an enterprising PakGun's member. Ammunition manufacturing. Someone could buy an Dillon 1050, import/buy brass and primers, cast their own bullets and begin producing ammo for commercial sale. A person might change the face of shooting in a city if they made the .45 auto/acp bullets readily available.

I suppose it's the law of supply and demand... is there demand for it?

Enigmatic Desires
29-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Steve.. That is a capital suggestion..

Unfortunately the Pak government takes a dim view on ammo that is produced privately without any documentation..

Which perhaps is just as well..

StevenCline
29-09-2009, 07:28 AM

Unfortunately the Pak government takes a dim view on ammo that is produced privately without any documentation..

Is it illegal to produce your own ammunition?

If someone were to start a business and properly document does mean a not of taxes and tarriffs?

Please educate me.

StevenCline
29-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Sir people are already doing through legal and proper channel. There is restriction but people do get License to import items. Many Americans are playing part in it and making money.

I will inquire as to the regulations, thanks for the idea.

Adeel Ahmad
29-09-2009, 09:33 AM

If someone were to start a business and properly document does mean a not of taxes and tarriffs?

Please educate me.
Sir, its not about the taxes. Since the weapons are banned, its difficult to get your hands on equipment related to reloading of Ammunition. People who got such equipment in the old days use it for their own purposes and no mass market is treated by them.
Your idea is good about .45 but i dont think that any of the member would have the proper equipment.

Enigmatic Desires
29-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Reloading equipment for making bullets.. Getting permits from the govt seems like a tall order. besides getting primers an powder an bullets .. all of which may well have to be imported meaning yards an yards of red tape. . still.. not impossible. but quite tough..

Silent killerr
29-09-2009, 06:09 PM
what a piece?

StevenCline
05-10-2009, 07:53 AM
what a piece?

Too few words.. what is your question?

StevenCline
05-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Please educate me.
Sir, its not about the taxes. Since the weapons are banned, its difficult to get your hands on equipment related to reloading of Ammunition. People who got such equipment in the old days use it for their own purposes and no mass market is treated by them.
Your idea is good about .45 but i dont think that any of the member would have the proper equipment.

Which weapon is banned? Over certain caliber?

Few people would have the equipment... would getting the equipment be impossible?

I've read the above posts- are there no manufacturers of gun powder, primers, bullets or brass in Pakistan?

Adeel Ahmad
05-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Its not the weapons but actualy import from certain countries like America, Italy, Germany and others is banned. Its a ban imposed by those countries due to Test of Nuclear Bombs by Pakistan. Import is still allowed from Turkey and Russia i guess hence their weapons are much cheaper.
I think that few people have equipment but its also not impossible to get it only for large scale. I dont think that for small scale its worth it.
None that i know of.