PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Shooting for Beginners

Skeeter60
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Buy yourself a Brno .22 New or used. New would be about 30,000/ and a used one about 20,000/- or so. first shoot with iron sights and go for making as small groups as you can at 25m and then progress to 50.
Brno is a very accurate and reliable rifle. Find the ammo which shoots smallest groups. once you can regularly make one inch 5 shot groups at 50m from sitting, kneeling and prone or shooting from a table it is time to get yourself a good scope.
Please never compromise on the quality of the scope. This subject has been covered well on this forum earlier.

Unfortunately in optics you get what you pay, a cheaper scope will be un economical in the long run as it will be hard to zero, hard to stay zeroed, and will give up on the day of a rifle match. Also you can use the better scope later on your big game rifle. The cheap scopes have other problems we will discuss once the beginner has learned about these.

Sohail
10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
sir skeeter: i think you have timely come up on the topic as i was also looking forward to have few tips about .22 rifle shooting, i have Walther in .22 rifle (bolt action), let me go with your way :)

regards

hasnaincfa
10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
nice inf0 br0ther.

MIdreesTaj
10-09-2009, 06:00 PM
@Skeeter60 sb,

Plz give some importance featurs of scope mounts and how they effect the performance of a scope. Common issues that may arise in the mounts when mounting a scope... and issues found in the receiver top / dove tail grooves/ piccatiny rail regarding correct mounting of scope...
I am more concerned to the issues regarding mal-alignments.
Bore axis vs. scope line of sight related faults due to bad mounts.. OR receiver issues.
I Have read alot about it and done that on a cheap tasco scope 4*32 fix scope myself, i want you to put some light on it in a few words... thanks.

KageFox
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM
useful info, sir...

Airgunner.22
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you for the tips. We always await advice from you sir.

Skeeter60
11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
midreestaj wrote
tasco scope 4*32 fix scope myself, i want you to put some light on it in a few words... thanks.
The best rifle with the best scope can not perform if the mounts (scope rings & base's) are not proper.The point of impact will keep moving and you'll have the wandering zero.
The scope can be damaged due to mis alignment.

When a rifle is fired, a force of 900 gravities acts upon the scope and rings.

you can appreciate what type of mounts you want.

Gunfire
11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Dear Skeeter60 Sir...Hats off to you Sir. I salute you for having skills I dream off.
from one of your other posts...your recommendation is absolutely on the dot...I guess I lucked out...Last month I purchased the Anshutz 1416 with Leupold VX-II 3.5-9x40. However I have not taken delivery as still waiting for my MOI licence. The Rifle is in Lahore with my cousin and as soon as I get my licence I'll come to Lahore to take delivery. It would be an honor if you can accompany me to the range and set it up and test fire the rifle.
...I'm already swimming & running everyday...:)
Thank you & Best regards.