PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Spanish Shotguns

Kamran_uk75
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Can anybody give me his feedback about Spanish shotguns? especially AYA shotguns by Spain....

Ilyas
08-09-2009, 12:03 AM
By what I have heard, probably the best among spanish shotguns. HassanJamshed Bhai n 12gauges' review will help
you understand their true worth.

12GAUGE
08-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Can anybody give me his feedback about Spanish shotguns? especially AYA shotguns by Spain....

AYA is the No. 1 selling shotgun in Spain (by volume) and is considered to be the best value-buy. infact some of its models are considered to be at par with the Spain's best (Arrizabalaga, Garbi, Grulla, Arrieta). some even consider AYA shotguns to be the lesser equivalent of the London and Italian best. as the matter of fact, AYA is amongst the best selling shotguns in Europe (i've read it in a magazine a long time ago).

go for it, if u can find one. u cant go wrong with an AYA.

Regards.

Naazer
08-09-2009, 08:25 AM
If you find an AYA side by side go for it without a thought! Seriously its the best thing you will do for yourself--even if its a used one.

Malik1
08-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Very rightly opined by Naazer and 12gauge

Aguirre y Aranzabal commonly known as AyA of Spain make good guns especially their Model 2. It is said to be one of the top selling models in England. A no mean feat in the face of top quality English manufacturers. Its characteristics are:-

Side-by-side hammerless sidelock ejector shotgun.
Forged steel action with double underlugs.
Fitted with gas vents.
Hardened steel intercepting safety sears.
Gold lined cocking indicators.
Double triggers with hinged front trigger.
Chopper lump barrels.
Concave rib.
English scroll engraving.
Straight hand, oil finished walnut stock.
White metal oval for initials.
Automatic safety.
12, 26, 20, 28 & .410 bore.
28" barrels standard on 12, 16, and 20, 27" barrels standard on 28 and 410 - other barrel lengths to order.
Available with colour hardened, old silver or bright finish to action.
Approximate weight 6.8 lbs. (12 bore)
(data taken from the company's site)

Naazer
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
btw here is me with a custom made aya:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7334/78985171.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Sialvi
08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
further pics of the gun would be appreciated if available Naazer bhai.

Naazer
08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
@sialvi: unfortunately they are back home in pk

A R K TAREEN
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
12gauge and Malik1

Nicely explain Gentlemen.

Regards.

Glocky
08-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Good shotguns, new ones are just a little hard to come by.

ChocTalpur
08-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Aya is a premium shotgun brand of europe with guns upto 20k Euros. I happen to have a Aya shotgun, which i'm selling to buy an autoloader now, by Beretta perhaps. Its a 1977, 12 ga, 28", S/S, Chokes Mod and Full. Condition around 70%-80% i should say.

Naazer
08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
choctalpur: ur asking price? email me at ahmed.minhaj@shell.com

XMen
08-09-2009, 04:55 PM
No Idea senior members must tell

HasanJamshad
08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
12Gauge and Malik1 have described the gun correctly. I won't be adding much to what has already said.
Aya's along with other Spanish guns are a cheaper but quality substitute to the English best and the Italian best. These guns are made with quality materials, superior finish and a long lasting strength.

There was a time when Spanish guns were looked down on and used to be termed as the poor man's Holland and Holland etc. Now the situation is not like that, these guns have their own personality that is known with superior craftsman ship and great value for the money.

Aya's most popular model in Pakistan is sidelock Aya 2. This gun is based on the popular Holland and Holland action. A gun with 70% condition sells around 160K-175K. I Have not seen a brand new gun in my circle.

Kamran_uk75
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Aya is a premium shotgun brand of europe with guns upto 20k Euros. I happen to have a Aya shotgun, which i'm selling to buy an autoloader now, by Beretta perhaps. Its a 1977, 12 ga, 28", S/S, Chokes Mod and Full. Condition around 70%-80% i should say.
Whats your demand for that AYA, Can you post some pics here?

Kamran_uk75
08-09-2009, 08:52 PM

AYA is the No. 1 selling shotgun in Spain (by volume) and is considered to be the best value-buy. infact some of its models are considered to be at par with the Spain's best (Arrizabalaga, Garbi, Grulla, Arrieta). some even consider AYA shotguns to be the lesser equivalent of the London and Italian best. as the matter of fact, AYA is amongst the best selling shotguns in Europe (i've read it in a magazine a long time ago).

Regards.
Sir, if Spanish guns are good then why those are not discussed in this forum, by the way my uncle has an AYA and he keeps it close to his heart. So no chance for me to get that one. Do you have an idea from where can I buy a Spanish S/S DBBL in Pindi or Lahore and whats the approximate price of these guns. Kindly give your opinion about other Spanish shotguns other than AYA aswell.
best regards.

ChocTalpur
09-09-2009, 12:58 AM

Sir, i can post you the required data on your email address.

Kamran_uk75
09-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Sir, i can post you the required data on your email address.

kamran_uk75@hotmail.co.uk

Kamran_uk75
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Regards.
Sir, if Spanish guns are good then why those are not discussed in this forum, by the way my uncle has an AYA and he keeps it close to his heart. So no chance for me to get that one. Do you have an idea from where can I buy a Spanish S/S DBBL in Pindi or Lahore and whats the approximate price of these guns. Kindly give your opinion about other Spanish shotguns other than AYA aswell.
best regards.

Still waiting for some informative knowledgeable feedback about Spanish DBBL shotguns, and their current market prices. etc

HasanJamshad
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Aya's along with other Spanish guns are a cheaper but quality substitute to the English best and the Italian best. These guns are made with quality materials, superior finish and a long lasting strength.

There was a time when Spanish guns were looked down upon and used to be termed as the poor man's Holland and Holland etc. Now the situation is not like that, these guns have their own personality that is known with superior craftsman ship and great value for the money.

Aya's most popular model in Pakistan is sidelock Aya 2. This gun is based on the popular Holland and Holland action. A gun with 70% condition sells around 160K-175K. I Have not seen a brand new gun in my circle

There are five most famous gun makers of Spain(situated all in or around Eibar) Arrieta, Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi and AYA. These all companies started with cheap guns but now they have earned their reputation by producing quality guns over the years. They do not mass produce any more as once AYA used to produce. Their guns are never considered at par with the English best or the Italian best. The most famous thing about these guns is that one can get a nice gun at the fraction of the price of the similar looking Italian or English gun. These guns are not made with cheap materials or substandard finish. None of these guns are origionally developed by these small custom shops(AyA once was very big company but no more is) like companies. They have copied English gun's action and even engraving styles.

These guns are solidly built and shouldn't be considered substandard in any way but at the same time one must not confuse them with other premium guns.
I haven't seen a new Aya in the market but there shouldn't be any problem in importing a gun. Prices of these guns start from 2400$ and go upto the 25000$ depending upon the action and finish. Aya No2 new round body is amongst the cheapest having advertised retail price 4500$. A used AyA can be bought for as low as 140K(i am using a known traded price) and a better gun having 70% condition can get upto 170K.

I will end with these pargraphs taken from CHUCK HAWKS.

The typical Spanish best gun is a sidelock side-by-side game gun. H&H style locks are practically universal, as are double underbolts leaving a clean breech face, double triggers and selective ejectors. Straight hand stocks are preferred, as are splinter forends, although a pistol grip and beavertail can be ordered. Stock measurements are made to order. Assisted opening is offered, as are various rib styles, barrel lengths, chokes, metal finishes, etc. Standard engraving patterns are typically vine or rose and scroll based, usually similar to traditional Purdy, H&H, or Churchill engraving; bulino and other styles can be provided, as well as gold or other precious metal inlays. Hand checkering in a conventional point pattern is standard, but stock carving and other checkering patterns are available by special order. Inside, the lock parts are usually mirror polished, engine turned, or gold plated. (Attention to detail inside the action, which customers ordinarily never see, is one of the hallmarks of a best gun.)

To see for yourself how good a Basque gun can be, get your hands on a high grade Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi, AyA, or Arrieta. Note the balance and lively handling characteristics, finish, metal to metal and wood to metal fit, arcaded fences, hand engraving, fine line checkering and high grade walnut stock with a hand rubbed oil finish. You don't have to be a shotgun authority to understand that you are not just holding a fine gun, but also a functional work of art.

And more

This gun isn't cheap. The 2007 MSRP in the USA is $8,895. However, similar guns from other countries cost far more. A Piotti (Italian) round action King No. 1 retails for about $32,700. A Holland & Holland (English) round action costs about $62,500.

The top of the line Grulla Royal with assisted opening, chrome-nickel steel barrels, even more elaborate engraving and a fitted leather trunk case costs over $14,000. That's a lot of money, but an equivalent Piotti Monaco starts at $41,800 and a Holland & Holland Royal Ejector runs about $93,000! (All based on 2007 retail prices.) We are talking about some of the best guns in the world here, so it is obvious that the Basque gunmakers will retain their competitive advantage for some years to come.

Skeeter60
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
HJ and 12gauge
very well said, very informative

Ilyas
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Wow... Very informative... very well done Hassan Bhai and 12gauge (also Hassan http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/confused/11.gif (http://www.postimage.org/) hmmm, so it has something to do with the name. Ok guys those wishing their next generation to become shotgun experts, consider naming them 'Hassan'... seriously!).

Kamran_uk75
11-09-2009, 10:35 PM

There was a time when Spanish guns were looked down upon and used to be termed as the poor man's Holland and Holland etc. Now the situation is not like that, these guns have their own personality that is known with superior craftsman ship and great value for the money.

Aya's most popular model in Pakistan is sidelock Aya 2. This gun is based on the popular Holland and Holland action. A gun with 70% condition sells around 160K-175K. I Have not seen a brand new gun in my circle

There are five most famous gun makers of Spain(situated all in or around Eibar) Arrieta, Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi and AYA. These all companies started with cheap guns but now they have earned their reputation by producing quality guns over the years. They do not mass produce any more as once AYA used to produce. Their guns are never considered at par with the English best or the Italian best. The most famous thing about these guns is that one can get a nice gun at the fraction of the price of the similar looking Italian or English gun. These guns are not made with cheap materials or substandard finish. None of these guns are origionally developed by these small custom shops(AyA once was very big company but no more is) like companies. They have copied English gun's action and even engraving styles.

These guns are solidly built and shouldn't be considered substandard in any way but at the same time one must not confuse them with other premium guns.
I haven't seen a new Aya in the market but there shouldn't be any problem in importing a gun. Prices of these guns start from 2400$ and go upto the 25000$ depending upon the action and finish. Aya No2 new round body is amongst the cheapest having advertised retail price 4500$. A used AyA can be bought for as low as 140K(i am using a known traded price) and a better gun having 70% condition can get upto 170K.

I will end with these pargraphs taken from CHUCK HAWKS.

The typical Spanish best gun is a sidelock side-by-side game gun. H&H style locks are practically universal, as are double underbolts leaving a clean breech face, double triggers and selective ejectors. Straight hand stocks are preferred, as are splinter forends, although a pistol grip and beavertail can be ordered. Stock measurements are made to order. Assisted opening is offered, as are various rib styles, barrel lengths, chokes, metal finishes, etc. Standard engraving patterns are typically vine or rose and scroll based, usually similar to traditional Purdy, H&H, or Churchill engraving; bulino and other styles can be provided, as well as gold or other precious metal inlays. Hand checkering in a conventional point pattern is standard, but stock carving and other checkering patterns are available by special order. Inside, the lock parts are usually mirror polished, engine turned, or gold plated. (Attention to detail inside the action, which customers ordinarily never see, is one of the hallmarks of a best gun.)

To see for yourself how good a Basque gun can be, get your hands on a high grade Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi, AyA, or Arrieta. Note the balance and lively handling characteristics, finish, metal to metal and wood to metal fit, arcaded fences, hand engraving, fine line checkering and high grade walnut stock with a hand rubbed oil finish. You don't have to be a shotgun authority to understand that you are not just holding a fine gun, but also a functional work of art.

And more

This gun isn't cheap. The 2007 MSRP in the USA is $8,895. However, similar guns from other countries cost far more. A Piotti (Italian) round action King No. 1 retails for about $32,700. A Holland & Holland (English) round action costs about $62,500.

The top of the line Grulla Royal with assisted opening, chrome-nickel steel barrels, even more elaborate engraving and a fitted leather trunk case costs over $14,000. That's a lot of money, but an equivalent Piotti Monaco starts at $41,800 and a Holland & Holland Royal Ejector runs about $93,000! (All based on 2007 retail prices.) We are talking about some of the best guns in the world here, so it is obvious that the Basque gunmakers will retain their competitive advantage for some years to come.

Thanks for such an elaborated description.

12GAUGE
12-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Wow... Very informative... very well done Hassan Bhai and 12gauge (also Hassan http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/confused/11.gif (http://www.postimage.org/) hmmm, so it has something to do with the name. Ok guys those wishing their next generation to become shotgun experts, consider naming them 'Hassan'... seriously!).

nice correlation Ilyas Bhai.

Regards.

Omer571
15-09-2009, 06:00 PM
+1 Ilyas and nice info.

Malik1
15-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Very well explained with out involving in technicalities for better understanding. Well done HassanJamshad & 12Gauge. Truly Expert Panel

Malik1
15-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Now another opinion as to why Spanish Shotguns are not famous or have not made their place in elite shotguns of the world and about the increasing price of Spanish Shotguns. The manufacturers to which I am referring are Aguirre y Aranzabal (AyA), Arrieta y Cia, Pedro Arrizabalaga, Armas Garbi, and Grulla Armas. None of these are major arms producers and none have a particularly long history in their present form. As already highlighted by a member that they are all small specialty shops with few employees (maybe a dozen on average) that make mostly bespoke shotguns essentially by hand. Grulla, for example, is 19 craftsmen that produce around 300 guns per year (Says Chuck Hawks). Theses are not the only shotgun makers in Spain, but they are the firms that turned the reputation of Spanish shotguns completely around. In post WW II days Spanish guns were regarded with suspicion. And that is because in the 1950's there was a niche market in the United States for cheap double guns. The mass market in those days was for repeating shotguns and what market there was for middle and high priced double guns was already overcrowded by American, British, Belgian, and Italian guns. The Spanish economy was still struggling to recover from the debilitating Spanish Civil War that preceded W.W. II.

However, there was room at the bottom of the price structure and American distributors paid the large Spanish makers that existed in those days to produce economy doubles. The Spanish gun companies desperately needed cash flow and were in no position to turn down orders, so cheap guns is what they built. Unfortunately for the Spanish makers who mass-produced inexpensive shotguns, the manufacturers in South America, Eastern Europe and Turkey were able to undercut their prices, as the years went by. Eventually the market for double guns turned around, quality became more important than price, and the large Basque gunmakers who had disastrously misjudged the market by committing to inexpensive guns went under. The few surviving tiny specialty shops began their ascent to international respectability. They tightened their lines, dropped their lower grade guns and concentrated on building fine side-by-side shotguns. That is how the price of Spanish Shotguns started increasing. There have also been a tendency in Spanish Shotgun manufacturers to copy the classic British side-by-side game gun as that had been the ultimate expression of the gunmakers' art. It took years of hard work since the 1950's and today Spain is a prosperous country. With increased prosperity has come higher labor costs and higher prices and so the price of guns. With this there came a change in strategy of manufacturer as well. The AYA says "As far as sales are going at the moment, we are chasing supply rather than demand, which is a good situation to be in. AYA and the other Spanish makers realised the only way to compete in the British market was to use the very finest materials. The British shooter demands a gun that will outlive him, as opposed to a car or washing machine that he accepts will eventually break down. Integrity is very important in the British gun market and AYA has made that part of its philosophy."

AN AYA gun's engraving

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9717/64623009.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

JUGAN99
25-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Nicely explain Gentlemen

Dr Hanif Malik
25-11-2009, 07:10 PM
shot guns,what a topic,what a price ,see pictures below, kamran uk very long jump,what about your dsa shooter barrel,i m going peshawar next month i will do something if you agree:)
http://s3.postimage.org/1nZiM9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1nZiM9)

Dr Hanif Malik
25-11-2009, 07:13 PM
http://s3.postimage.org/1nZCJi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1nZCJi)

Dr Hanif Malik
25-11-2009, 07:15 PM
http://s2.postimage.org/5_u3i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts5_u3i)

Dr Hanif Malik
25-11-2009, 07:18 PM
england hxh price near about 7millions pak ruppee:)

Kamran_uk75
25-11-2009, 08:58 PM
shot guns,what a topic,what a price ,see pictures below, kamran uk very long jump,what about your dsa shooter barrel,i m going peshawar next month i will do something if you agree:)
http://s3.postimage.org/1nZiM9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1nZiM9)

Thanks bro, I'll really appreciate the favour...

khakiMB
26-11-2009, 09:39 AM
My uncle owned a pair and he was highly satisfied with them.

Sparticas
16-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Sorry for digging the dirt and bringing to life a very old thread but i think its a very relevant thread for some of my gun as well so can any body tell me any thing about ASTRA Unceta y cia 12 gauge DBBL shotgun, and there availability in the market and price.

380ACP
24-08-2013, 02:43 PM
sorry for bringing life to a very old thread once again but it seems we have not talked much on these beauties not at least what they worth, is there anyone anywhere in pakistan who knows about the availibility of AyA side lock shotguns and price ? 12 GUAGE can you help brother ?

Aquarius
24-08-2013, 05:06 PM
@380ACP.. I give you a number of a dealer (091-2217456).. he recently has received shipment of Spanish shotguns, so he will let you know which models he has.

380ACP
24-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Thank you very much Aquarius brother can you please mention the name as well ?

380ACP
24-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Aquarius bro just wantee to save tye number and it appeqred i already have this number in my contact list, hehe its Mazhar's shop number no ? Good will call him, thanks

Leon
25-08-2013, 01:11 AM
He has imported range of Lanber Shotguns. I have seen them yesterday. They are beautifully made and balanced shotguns.

karachite11
28-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I have a 12 ga SxS DBBL 30" non-ejector "Choy" by Eiber I think it dates back to 1965. It has been in the family since new and I inherited it about 19 years ago. I am trying figure out its worth. I have fired maybe 5 shots from it when I got it and the person who owned it before me hardly ever took it out. If any experts can ball park the value over here I'd appreciate it.

Fudgepacker
28-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Does any one have info on a brand called Armas Bost, made in Spain. I think it is the same company as Eiber? It is also inherited, I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere this brand isn't worth a lot, if anything, but it's cool just because it is a "relic". Would be nice to get some information on it.

380ACP
28-09-2013, 07:54 PM
karachite can you share some pics ?