PDA

View Full Version : Recommend: Beretta O/U or Semi-Auto Shotgun

Gunfire
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Salam everyone...

I'm totally new and would like to buy a beretta shotgun but I'm totally confused which one to purchase - O/U or a Semi-Auto?
Have gone to dealers & also handled both types but still totally confused as dealers also are not able to fit a gun onto me like a good tailor would fit a suit. My main first purpose will be to shoot Skeet/Trap and Clay at the range, second purpose will be for hunting once in a while.
Because I'm thin and smaill built, I'm feeling too much recoil from O/U's and so kind of liking the Semi-Auto's. Is there any harm in buying a Sami-Auto for my purpose as everyone is saying I should buy O/U.
I will highly appreciate all your expert advices...

Dr Zakir
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
12 gauge please your input required

Skeeter60
07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Dear Gunfire
To meet all your requirements go with a Techneys as you can adjust the Cast Off and drop at comb and heel by using the different sets of washers provided with the gun.
How ever a Competent gunsmith should change these.

HasanJamshad
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Gunfire as far as i understand your question, your preference is a semiauto over an O/U due to recoil factor but as your primery motive of buying a shotgun is Skeet or trap so every body recomends an O/U, you want to know why not a semiauto?

First of all i will try to clarefy the recoil part. All sports loads are very light like 1Oz (28 grm) or less upto 7/8 Oz (24 grm) so have a negligible recoil. After some time you will not even feel it. At the same time felt recoil is a relative term if you have a gun that fits you and you have a proper shooting stance along some shooting experience even heavier loads are not a big deal. Semiauots, sometime can't cycle properly while shooting very light sporting loads, although this is less likely in the present scenario of much better semiautos, but can not overlook completely.

Secondly, maintenance of a semiauto requires too much time as compared to an O/U. In the bigning one dosen't take this seriously, but, after sometime when one becomes regular in sports and get used to the fascination of firearms, cleaning the gun becomes a burdon. Imagine the two minutes cleaning of an O/U without going through any opening and closing of bolts and screws.

Finally the most important part. Have you seen a guy wearing joggers under the Shalwar Kamiz. We always laugh by looking at such person, sincerely why does we do that? Isn't that guy wearing comfortable shoos? Why we prefer Shalwar Kamiz for Eid and Jumma Prayer? Why we prefer suits for business meetings and dinners? Basically, we have developed some customes, traditions and fashion. Such is the case with Skeet, Trap and Sporting clays. So, O/U is the gun that is used in Sports shooting, you will identify yourself much closer to the sporting community and the sports while following the tradition.

I am also a great fan of traditional doubles, but i prefer classic music over rock or jazz too. :)

Kakar
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
@ gunfire... i think you should go for a semi auto as it is a multi purpose gun ( i.e for skeet/trap, self defence and hunting ). The only small issue is that a semi auto shotgun can be dangerous at the firing range, specially when in the hands of a person who is new to guns. At the range, one has to open the side by side or over unders after firing. This makes the people around you feel comfortable that ur gun is not loaded.
This safety measure cannot be practiced with a semi auto and even a professional can end up in accidental firing.

12GAUGE
07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Salam everyone...

I'm totally new and would like to buy a beretta shotgun but I'm totally confused which one to purchase - O/U or a Semi-Auto?
Have gone to dealers & also handled both types but still totally confused as dealers also are not able to fit a gun onto me like a good tailor would fit a suit. My main first purpose will be to shoot Skeet/Trap and Clay at the range, second purpose will be for hunting once in a while.
Because I'm thin and smaill built, I'm feeling too much recoil from O/U's and so kind of liking the Semi-Auto's. Is there any harm in buying a Sami-Auto for my purpose as everyone is saying I should buy O/U.
I will highly appreciate all your expert advices...

i'm gonna make it quick cause Hassan Jamshad Bhai has pretty much summed up ur options and i doubt it that i can add anything else.

an O/U is the best option u got, recoil is non issue cause target loads do not generate that much recoil and for hunting where only a few shots are involved, one can compromise. similarly on a skeet/trap field where shots fired can go in hundreds, an o/u would last a long time compared to a semi auto. one more thing: cleaning an o/u is alot easier than a semi auto. if u plan to hunt only ocassionally, focusing more on skeet/trap, I can not suggest u any gun other an o/u.

continuing Hassan Bhai's example of joggers, think of ur o/u as a jogging shoes and a skeet field as a jogging track, similarly think of u'r semi auto as formal shoes and a hunting as a business meeting.

with that in mind, imagine this scenario:

if u plan to jog more and attend less meetings, which type of shoes u would prefer? i'm sure joggers, cause ofcourse u'll be jogging regularly and u can use the same joggers in a meeting if the need ever arises (i'm assuming that the meeting is a rare event).

Regards.

p.s. u'll find o/u totally dominating the international sport shooting matches. there must be a reason to it, right?

Gunfire
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
@Skeeter60, @kakar, thank you for your inputs...

@12gauge, @hasanjamshad...your analogies were amazing and beautifully said and makes perfect sense! And point well noted regarding gun cleaning, and handling/safety issues at the range.

OK...now which Nike joggers should I buy? The display has all sizes and models! They all look great and feel comfortable when trying out but don't know what will happen once I start jogging on the track! I guess will get used to the one I buy, more like wearing it in. But my Nike joggers are in my shoes cabinet somewhere and my New Balance joggers are the ones I wear everyime. BUT Question is which one to buy? (I actually mean Beretta O/U). My budget is flexible to buy a good model...thinking of 687 Silver Pigeon II Sporting. (is there a difference in 687 SP II & Sporting)?

Omer571
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
@Gunfire: You are in safe hands, bro.
@HJ & 12 Gauge: Gr8 info guys

HasanJamshad
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
@Gunfire, sporting models are made bit heavy and tough as much more shots are fired from a sporting gun as compared to a regular hunting gun. Mostly, sporting guns come with adjustable combs but i doubt if Siver pigeon II come with an adjustable comb. In your case this will be blessing as you want to use the same gun for hunting purposes so gun will not look odd on hunts.

KageFox
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Great info on sports shotgun selection, guys.

Gunfire
07-09-2009, 11:22 PM
So...what's the verdict guys? 686 E Sporting or 687 Silver Pigeon II Sporting? I think both are around +/- Rs.300K. Any other selection suggestions? Can any of you guys check Lahore prices and let me know please.

12GAUGE
08-09-2009, 01:41 AM
So...what's the verdict guys? 686 E Sporting or 687 Silver Pigeon II Sporting? I think both are around +/- Rs.300K. Any other selection suggestions? Can any of you guys check Lahore prices and let me know please.

the buzz around internet community is that 686 and 687 are both essentially the same thing however 687 offers cosmetic improvements. one more thing 687/686/682 are all field models and their sporting versions are just some structural improvement to withstand high volume shooting sessions commonly encountered during skeet and trap.

which one is better, I would say pickup both, check for the fit, finish, balance and cosmetic beauty, whichever comes to ur fancy, buy that one. u cant go wrong with either one.

and one more thing: Skeet and regular hunting guns are pretty much the same. both are made to shoot stright whereas trap guns are made to shoot high (rising target, built in lead) therefore such a gun is pretty much useless in hunting, in my opinion.

similarly, u can do trap with a skeet/hunting gun. it'll require practice and plus only a very minute and temporary modification to the buttstock can make a skeet gun into a trap gun however a trap gun needs alota practice to use respectably in a skeet/hunting field. plus the modifications required to convert a trap gun to a skeet gun requires soliciting help from a professional gunsmith.

My advise would be, go for a skeet only gun. it'll serve good during hunting as well.

Regards.

Gunfire
08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know of the current prices of the Beretta 686 E Sporting or 687 Silver Pigeon II Sporting? And who has it in stock at the moment?

Aamar
08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
@12gauge: great tip :-)

HasanJamshad
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
@Gunfire, i checked my dealer none of the two(687 silver pigeon II sporting, 686 E sporting )are available. Available are 682 E gold sporting with adjustable rib and Browning Citori. Beretta silver Pigeon S and silver pigeon II are available in hunting models but with fixed chokes.
Hope we will get more positive updates from other members soon.

Cap1
11-09-2009, 06:58 AM
+1 Kakar nothing beats the clearly visible safety of an open o/u.

@HasanJamshad: LOL at joggers under shalwar kameez; you're absolutely right

Skeeter60
11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I wanted to add; a sporting gun is also heavier with heavier barrels and stock as it is made for Sporting Clays another sport shooting discipline. There is a marked difference in the wt ,Balance (blance) and feel compared with a field gun.
All else has been brought out very nicely by HJ and 12 Gauge

Happy hunting

Gunfire
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
great posts...thank you all. Now I'm just waiting to find the shotgun to purchase.