PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Shooting

Airgunner.22
06-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Dear PG members,

Today i was shooting my airgun from the roof towards ground targets. I noticed that i was hardly able to hit the target closest to me i.e. near the base of the building whereas the farther targets at 50 metres were much more easier top shoot.

I am quite conrfused, could my air gun pellet some how been affected by gravity? I use a .22 calibre air gun.

Forgive me if i have posted in the wrong section as i didnt know where to place it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Enigmatic Desires
06-09-2009, 04:31 AM
actually what U mean is horizontal shooting. vertical would be when U are firing straight over your head!! :)

KageFox
06-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I think there's a problem with the sight zero adjustment. Play around with elevation a bit. And not to worry, such occurrences do happen while shooting from an elevated platform. If my rifle's zero has been changed to accommodate targets at longer ranges, I will have to compensate for it when shooting closer targets (I think by aiming lower).

Denovo87
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
actually what U mean is horizontal shooting. vertical would be when U are firing straight over your head!! :)

@ED he actually means VERTICAL, straight shooting is Horizontal (parallel to Horizon).
@Airgunner, when you have a site zeroed horizontally & try to shoot vertical angle you have to make some adjustments in your sights or scope. There is a formula relating to the angle of firing line you have to apply when aiming upward or downward. You must have notices that when you shoot at sharp angle (upward or downward) your projectile always hit below the object you are aiming at. So please google around to get the exact formula for aiming n shooting above or below the horizon.
By the way I have a Leopold rage finder that gives the exact distance + angle of sight and the True Ballistic Range which always is less than the exact distance if object is high or low.

Airgunner.22
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the help. Ill try it.