PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safety Tips

Abbas
31-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Keep the Gun Pointed in a Safe Direction

A gun should never be pointed at anything the hunter does not intend to shoot. Every gun should always be handled as if it is loaded. Any type of horseplay or tomfoolery involving a gun is irresponsible and unacceptable.
Keep Fingers Off the Trigger Until Ready to Shoot

The shooter’s hand should be properly positioned with fingers away from the trigger, along the side of the gun or on the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

Always Maintain Awareness of Target Area

A gun should only be fired at game or targets when there is no possibility of shooting another hunter or anyone else who may be in the area. Target shooters must make sure that there is no one in the area surrounding or behind the target. Hunters may fire only when they have a clear view of the game animal. More than one inexperienced hunter has shot at movement in the woods, only to find that they have shot another hunter.

Carry Guns Safely

When walking to and from the hunting area, or while stalking game, hunters must maintain constant awareness of the position of the gun as well as the positions of fellow hunters. When climbing fences, the gun should be placed on the ground or held by a fellow hunter. Hand guns should be properly holstered, not tucked into a belt or waistband.

Keep Guns Unloaded Until Ready to Shoot

Guns should be unloaded for transport and for storage. The hunter should also make it a habit to check to see if the gun is loaded each time she removes it from the gun rack or safe, even if she remembers having unloaded it before putting it away.

Proper Maintenance Keeps Guns Operating Safely

The hunter should clean the gun properly after each hunting or shooting event, and check to be sure it is in good working order. Only correct ammunition should be used. If there is any problem with the gun’s operation, it should be taken to a professional gunsmith for repair.

Guns and Drinking Don’t Mix

Alcoholic beverages or any type of drug that impedes behavior or attention should never be used while engaging in hunting or shooting events.

Store Guns Securely

Guns should always be unloaded and stored securely where they cannot be accessed by children or others for whom they would be dangerous. Locking gun cabinets or gun safes are highly recommended, and they should be kept locked, with the key kept in a separate location.

Source: hunting.suite101.com

Cap1
10-01-2009, 07:06 AM
What do most people use for hearing protection?

Abbas
10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
If you have any old ex Army guards or cooks you will discover that 90 % of them are hard of hearing. Sustained exposure to gun fire without ear protection is damaging to your hearing.

This is something that everyone should be made aware about, wearing ear protection while firing does not reduce the 'macho' factor, it's just educated gun use.

Bored2676
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
To put it another way (again reproducing an old post of mine on another forum):

The basic rules of gun safety as coined by Col Jeff Cooper are:

1. "All guns are always loaded".
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Always be sure of your target.

And why do these four rules exist? let me borrow some words from a web site and explain point wise with examples.

1) Many firearm accidents result from the handler believing a firearm is emptied, safetied, or otherwise disabled when in fact it is ready to be discharged. These are commonly grouped under
"Faulty handling of the firearm". A handler may execute the steps of procedures such as loading, firing and emptying in the wrong order or omit steps of the procedures.
"Misunderstandings about a firearm's status". For instance: A handler may think the safety is on when it is not. A round of ammunition may be in the chamber or in the magazine while the handler thinks it is empty. A handler may receive a firearm and assume it is in a certain state without checking whether that assumption is true.
"Mechanical failures". Wear, faulty assembly, damage or faulty design of the firearm can cause it not to function as intended. For instance: A safety may have been worn down to a point where it is no longer functioning. Broken parts may have given the firearm a "hair trigger" (a very sensitive trigger). A dented or bent body of the firearm may cause jams or premature discharge of ammunition. Sensitivity to impact may cause a firearm to discharge if dropped or struck against another object.

2) This rule is intended to minimize the damage caused by an unintended discharge. The first rule teaches that a firearm must be assumed to be ready to be discharged. This rule goes beyond that and says "Since the firearm might fire, assume that it will and make sure no harm occurs when it does". Two natural "safe" directions to point the muzzle are upwards (at the sky) and downwards (at the ground). Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Firing at the ground may result in a ricochet or cause hazardous fragments to be flung at people or material. Aiming upwards eliminates this risk but replaces it with the risk that the bullet may cause damage when it comes down to the ground again

3) This rule is intended to prevent an undesired discharge. Normally a firearm is discharged by pressing its trigger. A handler's finger may involuntary move for any of several reasons: being startled; not keeping full attention on body movements: physiological reasons beyond conscious control such as a spasm; stumbling or falling

4) This rule is intended to eliminate or minimize damage to non-targets when a firearm is intentionally discharged. Even when firing at a valid target, unintended targets may still be hit, for three reasons:

The bullet may miss the intended target and hit a non-target around or beyond the target.
A non-target may pass in front of the target and be hit with a bullet aimed at the target.
The bullet may pass through the intended target and hit a non-target beyond it, so called "overpenetration".

Other safety precautions:

1) Try and use ear muffs when doing regular firing on the range as hearing damage can occur
2) Use eye protection for those pesky cartridges ejected at high speed. You will thank me when the first one hits your face (and it will eventually happen one day, trust me on this)
3) Misfires (VERY IMPORTANT): These frequently lead to deaths on even professional ranges so read closely. Ammunition-related malfunctions are colloquially known as "misfires", and include failures to discharge (duds), delayed discharge (hang-fires), and incomplete or insufficient discharge (squibs). When a misfire or jam occurs, gun safety dictates that the handler should exercise extreme caution, as a cartridge whose primer has been struck in a misfire or which has been deformed in a jam can discharge unexpectedly. The handler should wait one minute with the firearm pointed in a safe direction, then carefully remove the magazine, extract any misfed or misfired cartridge, and then with the breech open, carefully check to ensure there is not a bullet or other obstruction lodged in the barrel. If there is, and a subsequent round is fired, the gun can fail explosively resulting in serious injury.

Firepower!
12-01-2009, 07:14 PM
There are no accidents.
There are negligent and reckless handling of firearms; and sometimes our subconscious acting up.

Shariq
12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Two of my very experienced colleagues shot themselves while cleaning their firearms. Its either ignorance or complacency which leads to accidents.

Malik
05-02-2009, 04:25 AM
credit also goes to over confident

Acciprone
05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
my ex boss shot himself in the knee cap..

Saeen
05-02-2009, 12:05 PM
i myself have witness the violation of the rule 2 and 3, not very pleasant result ! :|

Balazona
05-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Saeen,so u have experienced the ND?

Saeen
05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
ND being ?
What i saw was combination of hair trigger and intentional pointing of weapon. I guess you can image the results ;)

Balazona
05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
ND means Negligence Discharge.

Cap1
14-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Some idiotic behavior shown in this video; he nearly got himself and a few others killed. The above rules are of cardinal importance.
AK 47 Celebration Goes Wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmTq2-VgdTQ&feature=related

Hamid
23-04-2009, 10:50 AM
A friend of mine shoot himself in the foot. He was cleaning his handgun. I had a hardtime to digest that how can a gunowner keep ammo with him while cleaning the gun?

I store my guns and bullets at two different and out-of-reach-of-children places.

CougarMan
23-04-2009, 12:50 PM
+1 Hamid. Whenever cleaning, the first thing should be to empty the weapon, then re check it several times before proceeding.

As Firepower said there are no accidents...its almost always a combo of ignoring the rules and carelessness.

Nabeel
23-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Gun Idiot Must See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AUk8bvzPo&feature=related

Rizshu
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Guns go bang. That's what they do. They are used safely millions upon millions of times every year, but the potential for injury and death is always there. For this reason, we need to follow basic safety rules at all times when handling firearms, including handguns like revolvers and pistols, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, air guns, etc.

1. Assume That Any Gun, at Any Time, is Loaded.

When someone tells you a gun is not loaded, that's fine - but don't believe it until you see it for yourself. If you offend your buddy by checking a gun after he's told you it's unloaded, then so be it. Better safe than dead. Make it a habit to check no matter what. This is a very important habit to get into.

2. Always Point a Gun in a Safe Direction.

This one should be self-explanatory. It is the bedrock of all gun safety, and is the most important rule. Another way to say it, which Dad taught me many years ago, is, "Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to shoot."

3. Keep Your Finger off the Trigger.

This is something I see way too often. Some doofus will have his or her finger on the trigger of a gun they are simply carrying, looking down the sights of, etc. Don't do it! Keep that finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot, and after shooting, move it back out of the trigger guard. And please don't be offended that I used the term "doofus" if you have been guilty of this, because I have been a doofus before, too.

4. Know What You're Shooting at.

Your target is whatever you have decided to shoot. And - this is extremely important - it must be a conscious decision when you shoot something. Don't get lax about this. You need to know what you are going to shoot at, what is between you and it, and what is beyond it. Pay attention.

5. Be Familiar With Your Gun.

Take the time to learn about the operation and features of the firearm you are planning to use. The time to learn this is not while you are shooting... that is when you need to be learning about grip, shooting positions, trigger control, etc. When you step up to the firing line, you should already know how to operate the gun you'll be shooting.

6. Don't Shoot at Hard Surfaces (Including Water).

Water might not seem like a hard surface, but its density makes it pretty dangerous. It has a tendency to allow bullets and shotgun shot to ricochet (glance off) and fly off in an unintended direction. Not good. Hard surfaces like metal, rocks, and hard wood can do this too - and they can even send the projectile back to the shooter, which can be hard on a feller, because shooting oneself, even indirectly, can be a pretty nasty experience.

7. Don't Rely on a Safety Mechanism.

Many guns have a safety device to prevent the gun from firing. These are often reliable, but not always. And some guns have even been known to fire when the safety is released, most notably Remington bolt-action centerfire rifles, which naturally leads to the conclusion that safety mechanisms are often useful, but not completely reliable. Use the safety, but don't count on it! Continue to follow the number one rule: Always keep the gun pointed somewhere safe.

8. Load Your Gun When You Need to.

Some, including the NRA, will tell you to keep every gun unloaded until you're ready to fire it. This is not a sensible rule, because guns used for hunting and defense purposes will be needed in a hurry whenever they are needed, and there is no time to be messing around loading your gun when you need it to save your life, or to take the game you're hunting. If you need your gun for defense from human or animal attackers and it's not loaded, it becomes a liability rather than a benefit, and your safety goes down the tubes. So load your gun, and handle it responsibly.

9. Use the Right Ammo.

Make certain the ammunition you're using is right for your gun. Just because the ammo can be crammed into the gun, don't assume it's the right stuff for that popper. The groceries you feed your gun need to match up with the gun's design and strength factors. This is usually marked on the gun. If you have any doubt, contact the gun's manufacturer or a qualified gunsmith.

10. Pay Attention!

It's easy to get distracted when you're having fun, and target shooting can be a lot of fun, especially if you're enjoying it with friends and family. Take extra care to follow safe gun handling rules, and don't be afraid to correct others when you see them improperly handling firearms. They may not like it, but all participants must follow gun safety rules if everyone is to come home safe and sound. And that's what we always want to see!

KageFox
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
How can people have negligent discharges while cleaning guns? Aren't they supposed to clear the gun before cleaning it? :o

I hope none of the people on this forum follow the practice scrubbing the gun which has a live round stuck down the spout, pointing in places you don't want to hit... Thats sheer stupidity... :mad:

Ka_Khan
12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Aren't they supposed to clear the gun before cleaning it?
This is a Golden Line ! :)

Conceal Carry
12-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Aren't they supposed to clear the gun before cleaning it?

Off course they are supposed to do this and much more, but the problem is most people don't know about this. I have never seen any gun safety tips (either in english or any other langunage) provided with any of the ocal arm or ammunition sold anywhere in Pakistan.

No one in Pakistan feels responsibility to educate it's buyers. Infact I have not even seen these safety rules displayed by any of the gun shops in Pakistan, big or small.

In many countries one can not purchase a weapon unless he successfully completes gun handelling / gun safety course, and in some countries to purchase agun it is mandatory that you should have a gun safe to keep the gun out of reach of children. If a child gets his hands on a weapon and causes some accident, the gun owner is punished for his negligence.

I think Pakistan must have some kind rule to ensure that the person who is being granted a liscence is competent knowledgeable enough to handel a gun safely.

Ka_Khan
13-07-2009, 06:46 PM
How about a small One page PakGuns Broucher with Guns Safety Tips...available at all good Gun Shops around the country :)

Rizshu
13-07-2009, 08:53 PM
KK.. its really nice idea to market PG and as well as aware people about gun safty. but Q is how we'll gona make this????????

Cap1
17-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Gun Store Etiquette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn12Cu4eyYg&feature=related

Agree 100% with what he says at 0:49 "I've had more weapons pointed at me at a gun store than in real life".
Check out the size of the gun shop. Here in Karachi the popular shops are standing room only at peak times and I've almost never seen anyone do safety checks before handling the guns. I guess the shop owners do keep a sharp eye out and ensure the weapons are never loaded.

Haider Shah
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
@ Viewers

Accidents can never be stopped as what has to be is has to be, Only standard , mature Standing Operating Procedures can lower the intensity of damage.
I have seen many confident gun handlers making others or themselve victim to their NEGLIGENCE. The first and fore most rather thumb rule is that Treat Every Gun Loaded even stored by own self in the Cabinet irrespective where one has stored the Ammo,

My father taught me a lesson once I was a kid that pointing empty gun towards some one means he is killed by you, the gun handling sessions by the elderly figure brought maturity not only in gun handling but developed the sense of reponsibility during hunt .
It was taught to be courteous to fellow man during hunting trip and provide equal opportunity to the bird struggling for its life as Shikari has so many slugs and a poor fowl.

Now a days people have streak of resources to buy the fine crafts to do hell but what they lack is the ETHICS to handle those crafts.

Near me the most important issue which is neglected is to educate the kids about basics of gun handling and make them mature under strict supervision for the safety n security of all nearer dearers.
Wish Safety n Security to all P G members

Jillanik
21-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Safety conscious community...........Love it..................Be Safe

psychiatrist-1
31-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Great rules. I hope everyone followes these safety rules.
Now a days, it is unlawful to discharge your gun at least 1.5 miles from the HI way or the residential areas.
I always carry my shot gun in the field breech open but loaded pointing the gun downward on my shoulder.With bolt action and semi you do not chamber the round and make sure the safety is on. Only time you want to chamber the round a few seconds before shooting at your target. And as boss stated Safety comes first. Take this quote serious.

" Gun does not kill people, it is people who kill people".

09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I was writing on EAR PROTECTION and found this already covered here. I want to emphasize the importance of using ear protection for firing a rifle or pistol as it causes permanent and irreversible damage to the ears. The defence forces do provide for protection of soldiers, but as mentioned the macho effect rules, and protection is ignored, having disasterous consequences. Ear plugs are the simplest method of protection and easy to use and carry. Ear muffs come next. If these are not available, use a roll of cotton rolled tight according to size of ear. Using some vaseline with the cotton gives better protection.
Ear plugs were hard to find here but are now available in large quantities and at very reasonable price at METRO Lahore. Should be at all other METRO stores.

ay_be_why
09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
...Ear plugs were hard to find here but are now available in large quantities and at very reasonable price at METRO Lahore. Should be at all other METRO stores.

true. one can easily find them in the hardware section. a bag of around 30 pairs is Rs. 300 i think. simple, very cheap and a must-have for all shooters...