PDA

View Full Version : How do you Oil your Handguns?

Taurus
23-08-2009, 05:55 PM
How do we all oil our handguns after Cleaning? Mostly all of us clean our handguns but which part we should oil and how much its just a drop more oiling on a handgun is not recommended i have seen some ppl who even clean their weapon through oil well i have a Manual of Glock in which its written which part of the pistol should we oil and how much?

The best way is use a cotton bud dip it into the oil and use only one cotton bud to oil your total handgun,oil is not too good for handguns more oiling will less your handguns life,I would recommend ppl to use Brunox spray to clean the handgun and dry it then use a cotton bud to oil the moveable parts of the handguns so here is the manual of Glock you can get a bit idea from it.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/Taurus247/scan0004.jpg
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/Taurus247/scan0005.jpg
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/Taurus247/scan0006.jpg
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/Taurus247/scan0007.jpg

KageFox
23-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Informative. Many people who do not know of this kind of info might oil their firearm so much that it would be equivalent to dunking in an oil barrel.

SAJJAD ALI
23-08-2009, 06:17 PM
is it safe to spray all the gun parts(firing pin etc) with sd40.and then after drying oil the gun parts.

MIdreesTaj
23-08-2009, 07:53 PM
SO WHAT WE SEE HERE IS: that glock recommends not to oil the firepin ...
almost all other parts are oiled..
outer barrel, locking lugs, slide rails and internals, trigger system etc

Shariq
23-08-2009, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTWpFyGsbUI

This video will help greatly.

mehranbiz
23-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the information

Ka_Khan
23-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Informative taurus.I know People used to give complete 'Oil Bath' to their guns.Its the sliding parts which needs oiling and that also in drops.

KageFox
23-08-2009, 11:39 PM
What about NIB guns? I have seen from photos that a few of them are pretty much covered in layers of oil. Is it wise to take-down the pistol, clean up all of the (excess) grease, re-oil in a suitable manner and then take it out for its first shooting? Or should you wait until after its first outing to do the cleanup?

IMHO, being a gun maintenance discussion, this thread should be moved appropriately, to the right sub-forum. Just my two cents.

Hamid
23-08-2009, 11:44 PM
A gun dealer once recommended literal dip in the oil. Excess oil keep dripping and ruining the holster and shooter's hands.

Taurus thanks for the information!

Syed
24-08-2009, 12:13 AM
very Informative. thank u Taurus

Ka_Khan
24-08-2009, 12:30 AM
KG thread is moved in the Gun Maintenance section.Hope you are happy now :)

Taurus
24-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Yes KG you are right topic has been moved to Gun Safet and Maintanenace

Ilyas
24-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Very informative thread... With the presribed quantity of lubricant/oil, is it ok to shoot a handgun
without wiping the oil first?

Cap1
24-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I don't understand the Glock manual recommending 'one drop per location'. It adds up to about 8-10 drops which is a LOT.

ay_be_why
24-08-2009, 07:42 AM
What about NIB guns? I have seen from photos that a few of them are pretty much covered in layers of oil. Is it wise to take-down the pistol, clean up all of the (excess) grease, re-oil in a suitable manner and then take it out for its first shooting? Or should you wait until after its first outing to do the cleanup?

guys please elaborate... what to do with the protective oiling that some guns may come with?

Conceal Carry
24-08-2009, 07:45 AM
SO WHAT WE SEE HERE IS: that glock recommends not to oil the firepin ...
almost all other parts are oiled..
outer barrel, locking lugs, slide rails and internals, trigger system etc

Firing pin should be taken out of the firing pin block. Firing pin cavity must be cleaned throughly to remove any gunk which may cause the firing pin to get stuck. firing pin should be wiped clean thorougly and then wiped with an oil soaked cloth. make sure no lint is deposioted in the cavity or the pin. reassemble.

MHMalik
24-08-2009, 09:46 AM

guys please elaborate... what to do with the protective oiling that some guns may come with?

REMOVE. degrease, clean. reapply oil as per requirements. wipe excess. ENJOY!

factory oils are usually heavy oils/greases or anti seize compounds designed for rust prevention. They are normally dust magnets and gunk up. Better to clean and apply your own lube.

ay_be_why
24-08-2009, 09:57 AM
thanks malik sab

Enigmatic Desires
24-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Informative taurus.I know People used to give complete 'Oil Bath' to their guns.Its the sliding parts which needs oiling and that also in drops.

:(

I did precisely that!

MHMalik
24-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I take a small patch, lightly soak it in oil and apply on the barrel and on the parts of the slide where metal rubs against metal. two drops each on the slide rail do the trick to the rest of the area.

MIdreesTaj
24-08-2009, 06:01 PM
excess oil is bad as it will also serve to catch dust...

@Cap1 , no its not excess oil, rather 8 to 9 droplets are, a nice way lubricating the pistol indeed. not too much not too less, just upto the mark. provided that its DROPLETS not OOZES.
@Conceal Carry, nice elaborating the procedure of fire pin clearing, but thats so rare u'll ever need to do that, likewise only one or two long sprays from WD40 or any degreaser can wipe out all the gunk from inside the firepin block.

MHMalik
26-08-2009, 03:04 PM
But then again.. some weapons like more lube and work better all oiled up.. some like it less..

Berettas like to run better with more lubrication.. A glock likes very little to run.. So one should use as per the weapon requirements..

WD40 in the firing pin channel is NOT recommended.. especially if you carry one in the chamber. Also it forms a sticky film which attracts dust. Best to leave it be and clean it during major cleaning with good quality degreaser and DRY thoroughly.

Adeel Ahmad
26-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I am with you Malik for not using WD40. I use Brunox and clean everthing up with the help of that. After that i just leave it on a dry cloth and excess is evaporated by morning unlike WD40.

MHMalik
27-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Thank God somebody agrees with me on this topic.. normally people just keep arguing about it.. they say Hoppes ruins guns..!

Anyway Adeel how is this Brunox? I came across a spray can.. but everything on it was in german or something.. so I wasnt sure what it actually is and what it does? what is it?

Adeel Ahmad
27-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Thank God somebody agrees with me on this topic.. normally people just keep arguing about it.. they say Hoppes ruins guns..!

Anyway Adeel how is this Brunox? I came across a spray can.. but everything on it was in german or something.. so I wasnt sure what it actually is and what it does? what is it?
Malik i have been using it from my first weapon purchase and i am extremely satisfied with it. Never needed anything else. Kindly refer to following information about Brunox;

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® is a long-term lubricant based on a balanced mixture of hydrocarbons with the additive TURBOLINE.

Creep oil / Rust loosener

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® is a multi-component lubricant which has an excellent penetration effect. Therefore it is capable of penetrating into finest hair-chaps and spaces and, for example, loosens tightened screws in a very short time. It loosens rust and frees sticky mechanisms.

Anti-corrosion

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® guarantees complete corrosion protection and also conservation of hollow spaces. The hydrocarbon mixture which is responsible for this guarantees both a compact protection film and also the necessary film thickness which displaces any humidity. It forms a clear, invisible, non-hardening film which does not need to be removed in most cases. (Exception: painting). This film provides temporary protection against corrosion (approx. 6 months) and has a dirt repelling effect.

Cleaning agent

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® penetrates and removes mineral and organic dirt so that spots of (almost) all kinds (e.g. tar, brake dust, adhesive residues etc.) can be easily wiped off. It neutralises hand sweat and also protects aluminium, copper, brass, chromium plated and galvanised sheet metal and stainless steel.

Contact spray

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® has a very low surface tension and a corresponding adhesion to metals so that leak currents will be prevented and humidity which has penetrated will immediately be displaced. The very high dielectric strength (UD = 45 KV/cm) also allows the application in connection with very sensitive (high-impedance) circuits. This property is particularly useful with electrical contacts and short circuits can be eliminated and prevented.

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® contains no silicone, no teflon, no graphite

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® behaves neutral against varnish, leather, wood, rubber, plastic and fabric

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® contains just 3% propellant (CO2), i.e. 97% active substance

BRUNOX® Turbo-Spray® has a flash point of 78°C

Hopefully this will help many people to understand what it actually is. I get it for 450 to 500 and one bottle lasts for quite a while so not that expensive at the end.

Taurus
28-08-2009, 02:14 AM
+1 Adeel and MH Malik : i would never recommend wd 40 ,brunox is the best and available in the market or hoppe's

Xerga
28-08-2009, 04:29 AM
@ Adeel Ahmad - thanks for sharing that info about brunox. actually i also use this spray for my guns, because my fire arms dealer recommended me said product. but confusion was that all text on the spary can is in german language and i was not so sure about it. now i am satisfied after reading your post.

MHMalik
28-08-2009, 04:35 AM
hmmm

I'll give it a try..

I just wasnt sure what it was.. and I sure as hell dont trust what the shopkeepers say (them and their weird theories)

Hamid
28-08-2009, 05:01 AM
will brunox be okay to remove dust or grease from firepin .

KageFox
28-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Tried Brunox on the firing pin of a Taurus PT609. Worked... all visible gunk removed, the pistol did perform better (though ammo was also changed)

Adeel Ahmad
28-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Hamid it will remove everything just as mentioned by KF. I am using it on the recommendation of Mufadil from Baksh Elahi and it works great.

12GAUGE
28-08-2009, 04:38 PM
AoA Everybody

anybody living near me can get a free sample of my home brew oil (pakguns lubricant). try it and see how effectively it stacks up against established brands such as hoppes(new) and militech.

it offers:

1. excellent ability to retain lubrication in high heat and friction surfaces
2. excellent ability to penetrate.
3. very hard to oxidize
4. excellent protection against rust
5. will not gum up like WD40
6. totally safe on polymer

Regards

p.s. Pakguns lube is 200-300% more efficient/effective than hoppes and militech.

Denovo87
28-08-2009, 04:54 PM
12guage, I made this lube & using it, no doubt in your above statement but one thing i want to get info on, heavy oils in the compound sit beneath the other lighter solvants making it clearly two seperate coloured liqued, I have to shake the bottle well before every use. Is it normal with this lube or I mixed something wrong in it?

MIdreesTaj
28-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought using a WD40 to clear out stuff from insides is not that bad once the gun is re-lubed with a proper lube. WD40 and Brunox is more like same thing, might there be a diff in viscocities only.
Break Free CLP is known to be the 1st class and recommended firearm cleaner and protector and also a lubricator, favoured by the most in, the international firearms community all over the world.
Other than that, I have seen local firearm dealers, selling a mixture of Diesel, Patrol, Engine oil, kerosene/machine oil. It is said to work as a good lube + nice protection from rust, I have used it, but dont like its viscocity decreasing too much, once HEAT is really on, gun is working in a hot field in summer. In such conditions it seems to wipe out literally, leaving the gun in quite dry-ish.

Xerga
28-08-2009, 05:35 PM
AoA Everybody

anybody living near me can get a free sample of my home brew oil (pakguns lubricant). try it and see how effectively it stacks up against established brands such as hoppes(new) and militech.

it offers:

1. excellent ability to retain lubrication in high heat and friction surfaces
2. excellent ability to penetrate.
3. very hard to oxidize
4. excellent protection against rust
5. will not gum up like WD40
6. totally safe on polymer

Regards

p.s. Pakguns lube is 200-300% more efficient/effective than hoppes and militech.

a sample should be like 2 litres of it. than i am coming to get it. :cool:

Ka_Khan
28-08-2009, 05:40 PM
@12 guage ...If you are coming to Peshawar,dont forget to bring us a sample.Should be tried as i know who ever used this is satisfied.

MHMalik
28-08-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Gauge Sir how is it packaged?
(bottle or spray) (What quantity)

Can you add teflon in it? That would be a requirement for me.

Would it dissolve the residues and keep them in a suspension?

If so.. I just might come over for some :)

12GAUGE
28-08-2009, 08:10 PM
12guage, I made this lube & using it, no doubt in your above statement but one thing i want to get info on, heavy oils in the compound sit beneath the other lighter solvants making it clearly two seperate coloured liqued, I have to shake the bottle well before every use. Is it normal with this lube or I mixed something wrong in it?

buddy u'r confusing Pakguns Cleaner with Pakguns lubricant, cleaner does seperate over time if left for long as it has spirit and paint thinner in it which always float above the surface of the ATF. however lube doesnt seperate no matter for how long u keep it.

Regards.

12GAUGE
28-08-2009, 08:17 PM
@Ka_khan

Roger that sir jee, will bring samples with me.

@MHMalik

why would u want teflon in it? there is not a single test on paper that proved that suspended teflon particles work (that is reduce friction). infact, teflon when oxidizes can give all sorts of harmfull gases plus its been shown to make the metal more brittle (can crack). therefore this teflon craze is umm..... just a craze.

@Xerga

buddy, i wish i could but currently I dont have that much quantity in stock. next time i'll make a batch, i'm make sure to save up two liters for you.

@midreestaj

if viscosity retention in high heat application is u'r turn-on then buddy i'll highly recommend that u alteast try Pakguns lube.

infact u can do a better test:

just a drop of WD40, militech, hoppes, breakfree clp on a hot motorbike muffler (silencer) and see what happens, u'll imediately find out that Pakguns Lube outlives the above mentioned brands.

Regards

Denovo87
28-08-2009, 09:13 PM

buddy u'r confusing Pakguns Cleaner with Pakguns lubricant, cleaner does seperate over time if left for long as it has spirit and paint thinner in it which always float above the surface of the ATF. however lube doesnt seperate no matter for how long u keep it.

Regards.

My mistake mate, found the lube formula post, how did I miss that & made only cleaner? will make lube on Sunday surely, Thanks.

Shariq
28-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I have used most of the branded cleaners and Lubes and i can guarantee that Formulas by 12guage work better. Very economical and highly recommended.

12GAUGE
28-08-2009, 11:47 PM
allow me to re-quote it here for convenience

the following formula (Pakguns lube) is for the lube only:

Phase 1 lube:
1. two parts dexron II/III (ZIC ATF III)
2. one part synthetic motor oil (ZIC XQ 5W40)
now call this mixture Phase 1 Lube

now inorder to make Pakgun lubricant:
1. two parts Phase 1 Lube
2. one part kerosene

Approach 2: (this will make exactly one liter of Pakguns lube)

you'll require something that can measure fluids in mililiters.

mix:
444ml DEXRON ATF III
222ml ZIC XQ
333ml kerosene
the resulting Pakgun lubricant (with both approaches) will now have exactly: 44.4% DEXRON III ATF, 22.2% synthetic motoroil, 33.3% kerosene oil. with this i've increased the viscosity a little, i've increased the flash point significantly, i've increased the overall viscosity index of the mixture. plus with the addition of synthetic oil, i've added polyalfaolefins to the mixture. PAO are known for their afinity for metals.

one more thing: kindly use only specified brands, as all lubricity/viscosity tests were conducted with those brands only. the lubrication data that i got can only be guaranteed as long as the same products are used.

Regards.

Note: i'm not at all a representative of the ZIC oil company, not all in association with the subject/said company in any way and does not receive any benefit, either monetary or non monetary in nature.

KageFox
29-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Nice info bro. Look forward to seeing "12Gauge's Ultimate Gun Formula" in the market soon :D

12GAUGE
29-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Nice info bro. Look forward to seeing "12Gauge's Ultimate Gun Formula" in the market soon :D

thanks buddy, much appreciate it, however i must say that i have no intention of bringing this formula to market for any monetary gain. its public knowledge, all I did was to tailor the already established Ed's Red recipe to my liking and added an extra ingredient. besides its been dedicated to Pakguns. all members/non members may freely share/distribute the recipe.

Regards.

MHMalik
29-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Brilliant sir!

Will try it as well..

Haider Shah
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Quite informative thread

Gilani
17-11-2009, 08:04 PM
A very informative thread. Thanks.

Salahuddin Ayubi
02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Thankyou All for your input in this thread.very informative,i myself have been using wd-40 for the past 7 years now ,gonna try BRUNOX for a change.

regards

Try it, you'll love it. Also try Hoppes powder solvent. It squeaky cleans the barrel in a jiffy.

Jillanik
21-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Thankyou All for your input in this thread.very informative,i myself have been using wd-40 for the past 7 years now ,gonna try BRUNOX for a change.

regards

Try it, you'll love it. Also try Hoppes powder solvent. It squeaky cleans the barrel in a jiffy.

WD-40 is not meant for fire weapons...............Its flamable

PUNJTANI5
10-09-2010, 02:52 PM
goood add brother

Mani
10-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Very Nice info bro.

MIdreesTaj
10-09-2010, 08:40 PM
These days I am little less partial to dressing my gun like a new bride.. I am using only motor oil of considerable thickness which helps to stay inside for months and does not catch much dust either.

a 100 rounds in under 30 minutes with hot sun as well as the gun, still was not able to drry it out. That is what I wanted.
I have always preferred the slightest of touch of a viscous lubricant mainly for the slide rails, frame rails and frame pivot, the recoil spring and barrel outers (as good for the tilt barrel design).

12GAUGE
10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
try using grease for slide/frame rails, external barrel/bushing and locking lugs. oil on everything else except firing pin channel. grease is much better than any quality oil as it stays in place and doesnt migrate during extensive firing. if you was more perfection, try using moly grease. there is no better lubricant out there than moly grease.

Regards.

Ka_Khan
11-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Just a drop will do work but i am not satisfied unless my Gun is dripping with Oil :D

PUNJTANI5
19-09-2010, 07:36 PM
i usually oil my gun using an oil can

:lol:

seriously
i use the oil can to put a drop on every possible moving part except of course the firing pin

after every cleaning/washing and drying
and then oil then a few cycles to spread the oil
remember the lesser the better

or the thinner the oil film the better
and i use silicon oil