PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Franchi SPAS-15

BendingBullets
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I saw this gun at a dealer in Lahore. Asking price was 235k. Now I am reluctant to spend this much on a shotgun (it has both a semi-auto and pump action mode) however it is very impressive with its mean looks, detachable magazine etc.

Does anyone have experience with this gun? Is it difficult to maintain and repair due its complex inner workings? Is it worth the price tag?

Picture from web
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/franchi_spas15.jpg

More info here: http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh06-e.htm

BendingBullets
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Come on guys (and especially the expert panel), need some advice! :)

Ilyas
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I think Hassan Afzal has one, he might be of some help on the topic.
But he has been missing for the last few weeks.

Adeel Ahmad
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
"The SPAS-15 is a dual-mode 12 gauge shotgun manufactured by the Italian company Luigi Franchi S.p.A..

The weapon is based on the SPAS-12, and has similar pump-action/semi-automatic firing modes. In semi-automatic mode a gas piston drives a bolt carrier and rotating bolt. In pump-action mode the same components are driven by sliding the fore-end backwards. Pump-action mode is required to reliably fire low-pressure (less lethal) ammunition such as tear gas rounds or less-lethal bean bags. Switching between firing modes is done by pressing a button above the foregrip, and sliding the foregrip slightly forwards or backwards.

Unlike its predecessor, the SPAS-15 is fed by a detachable box magazine. The gun features a folding stock and a pistol grip safety.

The SPAS-15 is currently used by various law enforcement and military agencies, including some units of Italian army and the Carabinieri, although several Italian special forces units have dismissed it after adoption as its bulk and excessive weight, mostly due to the detachable box magazine, compromised maneuverability in critical situations. It still remains legal to purchase and possess by civilians in Italy as any other smoothbore long arm (shotgun), but having Franchi ceased production of the SPAS-15 around the year 2005, the firearm is getting extremely rare to trace. In 1996, the United States banned the importation of the SPAS-15, although it can still be legally owned and sold. In Canada, the SPAS-15 is classified as a Prohibited Weapon and cannot be legally owned or imported except under very limited circumstances."

Now from the above provided information you can clearly see that its not something that you should spend 235K for. I found an interesting review by a user which is as follows;

"The Long Wait finally ended on Tuesday. My local dealer phoned to say my SPAS 15 had arrived. He sounded very excited on the phone and told me he'd never seen anything like it !! Having waited 7 months 7 days, I could wait no longer, and I immediately booked the rest of the week off on holiday! I went straight home to pick up the gun, my first impression on opening the box was WOW! It looks awesome ! I was pleasantly surprised to find the gun lighter than I had expected, and narrower. I got two magazines with the gun, and the total cost was 900 UK pounds (approx. 1500 US Dollars).

Wednesday was my first day of fun with the SPAS 15, I loaded up with Winchester Super X Slugs, CBC Slugs, Express 00 buckshot, and some Gamebore 12 ball 36 gram buckshot. The SPAS 15 ate it all without a hitch. Recoil when fired from the shoulder was low, and the gun was very controllable. Having exhausted my ammo supply I toddled off back home to get some more ammo - this time I loaded up with 28 gram #9 target cartridges. The SPAS was very well behaved when fired single handed (and using the shoulder sling of course) and the muzzle stayed on target. There was only one misfeed with a #9 target load and that was when fired from the hip, supported by both hands but not touching my body.

So far I've tried over 200 cartridges through the gun, and I'm VERY happy it! I had loads of fun on Saturday when I was shooting a a metal plate at distances of 80-100 yards. Now I have to stock up on ammo as I didn't realise how hungry this gun would be!

Cleaning the gun was a bit fiddly, everything inside the barrel shroud had a light coating of oil which collected the burnt powder. I removed the stock, but I couldn't manage to get the bolt and bolt carrier out of the receiver, but I know they should come out!

I will try to take some photos over the Christmas holidays, and will email them sometime in January.

To summarise, the SPAS 15 is awesome. I was impressed by the looks, feel, quality and performance of the gun. I love it!"

Now this is something which came from my knowledge but as you mentioned that you want Epert Panel opinion, i dont think it will matter much.

KageFox
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
A purely tactical Shotgun, similar to the Saiga 12

BendingBullets
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
@Adeel Ahmed - Thanks for your research and detailed reply. My main concern is also maintaining it (parts and accessories).

ARlover
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
dealer name plz

Dr Zakir
09-08-2009, 02:09 PM
why dont you also check out saiga 12 and benelli m4

Memon
09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
@ ALL

Does any other brand's available in Dual Mode shotgun in less price around 50k / 60k.

Any suggestion.

Starfish
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
why dont you also check out saiga 12 and benelli m4
benelli M3 is dual mode and is available at para for 175K

Khan381
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Few Pics of Spas 15 , kindly ignore pic Quality

Trigger_happy78
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Spas15 looks nice. Thanks for the pics khan sahib.

gunenthusiast
05-04-2012, 02:50 PM
is this gun available in rawalpindi/peshawar?

American Lockpicker
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
That is awesome!!! I would get it.