PDA

View Full Version : Need help Regarding safe keeping of bullets

fawazchughtai
19-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Dear Seniors,
I have recently acquired 7.65mm and 9mm for self defense. I am living in top/last portion of home with my kids, which is quite hot in summers. I am keeping 7.65mm inside my house/wooden cupboard, one mag with bullets in holster and one mag with bullets in pistol. I need to know what is the maximum temperature in bullets can safely shelfed.

I am keeping my 9mm in my car in the same way with mags and bullets like above. and now as its summer & temperature is increasing day by day and I am worried if its safe to keep bullets inside car (in mag & pistol) in such hot weather?

Please guide about maximum tolerable temperature for bullets inside mag and pistols and share some tips to keep them safely.

Sincerely

Fraz
19-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Dear Seniors,
I have recently acquired 7.65mm and 9mm for self defense. I am living in top/last portion of home with my kids, which is quite hot in summers. I am keeping 7.65mm inside my house/wooden cupboard, one mag with bullets in holster and one mag with bullets in pistol. I need to know what is the maximum temperature in bullets can safely shelfed.

I am keeping my 9mm in my car in the same way with mags and bullets like above. and now as its summer & temperature is increasing day by day and I am worried if its safe to keep bullets inside car (in mag & pistol) in such hot weather?

Please guide about maximum tolerable temperature for bullets inside mag and pistols and share some tips to keep them safely.

Sincerely

Dear Brother I have not seen bullets going off if they are kept in the car, however deodorants / air freshener cannisters do blast in summers in cars, if the car is parked in directly under the sun and all windows are sealed shut. Just to be on the safe side I would suggest that the car may not be parked directly under the sun and the windows should be left slightly open. There is no problem with keeping them in your home. Regards

Leon
19-04-2015, 06:33 PM
No need worry. Ammo can withstand lot more heat than we have here in summer.

jhb
19-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I live in the sun and heat in the swamps. It will take a lot more heat than closed car windows and direct sun to make ammo ignite or explode or to degrade or harm it. Kydex holsters and mag carriers will melt and warp in a hot car..and cheap plastics will warp. Ask me how i know.

Your ammo and quality mags......will be fine at those temperatures. You should be good below 160 - 200 C.....which is the average ignition point of most propellants used in small arm cartridges. ..per Peter G. Kokalis in the April 10 2006 issue of Shotgun news.

FA226
19-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I live in the sun and heat in the swamps. It will take a lot more heat than closed car windows and direct sun to make ammo ignite or explode or to degrade or harm it. Kydex holsters and mag carriers will melt and warp in a hot car..and cheap plastics will warp. Ask me how i know.

Your ammo and quality mags......will be fine at those temperatures. You should be good below 160 - 200 C.....which is the average ignition point of most propellants used in small arm cartridges. ..per Peter G. Kokalis in the April 10 2006 issue of Shotgun news.

Good info bro.

jhb
19-04-2015, 08:19 PM
^yes Sir.

I also downloaded the saami recommendations. It says to not store ammo long term at 65 C or higher long term. Below that temp range it states is fine for long term storage. Not sure how hot a car can get over there?

I can say ive stored ammo at around the hottest part at 54 C to 78 C for a few summers as i forgot about it under the seats of my truck. Found it...took it to the range. It fired fine no problems.

a_rsoud
19-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Additional questions:

Direct sunlight heating is not a big issue for ammo but some more question in our mind which need to clarification:
1-Whats the reason of miss fire, is it poor quality ammo only or long time of storage?
2- Also share the avg life of 9mm and shot gun ammo?
3- whats the minimum temp which consider safe for it?

Waiting for kind reply from PG members which update our knowledge on this issues.

Leon
19-04-2015, 10:29 PM
1. The reason for misfire could be gun specific or ammo specific. Some guns have light strike. Sometimes ammo has defect like very hard primer or bad primer or bad powder. Ammo is made in bulk. If quality check is poor, sometimes an entire faulty batch is send to market. Otherwise 2 / 3 round in 1000 is not that big issue.

2. I have seem a fellow member 'Ahmad' firing world war II era .45 ammo and none misfired. He also had .22 ammo made by Eley in 1970. This ammo also never misfired. So, the age of ammo is quite long. I heard that pistol and rifle ammo has 30 years of life and shotshell have around 10 years. After that there are chances of misfire.

3. Army stores it's ammo at room temperature i.e. 25 C. That is the ideal temperature. The more important factor is moisture than temperature.

shahroze
19-04-2015, 10:39 PM
I have fired 10 plus years old shaheen cartridges.
Two things I instantly noticed is that those were heavier compared with what we get now, you would instantly feel the weight of both if held in right and left hand the later one being heavier and another thing I noticed was that even after firing the first shell the smoke and carbon was like I had fired a lot more they are messy MESSY but all ejected through the Russian tank.

zia raza
19-04-2015, 11:04 PM
The more important factor is moisture than temperature.

Brother any tips on how to deal with these moisture thingie... I am sick and tired of oiling and maintainance... As i live in hub of moisture... Cant risk my jewls on silica gel grains available in chemical market for around 300 per kg

Leon
20-04-2015, 01:34 AM
I have no idea about dealing with moisture in Karachi. However, last year, in the start of monsoon season, I cleaned my guns with Brunox and then applied Hopps oil on surface with wipe and wiped the gun with cotton cloth and placed them in the cupboard. I worked for me.

jhb
20-04-2015, 02:52 AM
We use firearm wax down here in the swamps. Although i have friends who are cheap and use standard car wax. I wouldn't use it on a collectible......but many friends swear by it. The key to firearm waxes are you need to prep properly your firearm and it will not rust. Ive sat in the rain for days while hunting osceola turkeys, and no rust to clean when i got home.

AK-Khan
20-04-2015, 08:49 AM
LOL ,I fired 40 yr old cardboard #6 shells with Benelli M2 just last night ,all 6 of them went blazing in rapid fire :) and the brass was nearly black though tried to clean them with soaked WD40 cloth and even filed away some black goo type thing glued to them over the yrs. before firing, cleaned them with dry cloth before loading.

Heat is no problem in Lahore (what about the bullets in Jacobabad) , just keep the gun in holster and in glove box or under the seat.If it's parked in full Sun when you come back start the AC and cool it directly in front of AC vents while keeping it in holster for 3 minutes.
Moisture is the main issue but with new bullets it's not worth worrying about,however you can soak a cotton cloth in WD40 and gently rub over the bullets but not too much just as if you are polishing them gently for shine only.
I've seen ppl. applying drops of brake oil or new motor oil but will not recommend.

AK 47 bullets in 500 and 1000 round tin boxes use to be wrapped in "momee kaghaz" Wax paper,the khaki paper soaked in some kind of oil or wax with sets of 5 and 10.
I think if you can get that paper,it will be best,just wrap the bullets in order of 10/10 in line swapped and tie a rubber band ,keep them in tight lid plastic box which can be easily obtained from a crockery shop in different sizes.
I keep my expensive Velvia or obsolete photographic slide films in them wrapped with plastic shopping bags in freezer.

Try to dedicate one drawer in cupboard with lock for firearms and always keep the chamber empty and off limits to kids.
Also teach your wife how to load/unload and fire a weapon and about the safety.

cheers!

Jibz
20-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Brother any tips on how to deal with these moisture thingie... I am sick and tired of oiling and maintainance... As i live in hub of moisture... Cant risk my jewls on silica gel grains available in chemical market for around 300 per kg

I have used Plastic Film Wraps on my shotguns after oiling them and it does the job for me. I have used it on ammo as well and no problem till now. The plastic wraps have an excellent tendency to make things air tight. Oiling of rounds/cartridges/shotshells can sometimes make the primers go bad and a misfire could be the ultimate result.

We are using Evaporation Desert Cooler at home, which definitely creates more moisture and thus a potential to bear rust so some oiling and then plastic wrapping has been my remedial strategy.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/wasserstrom/plasticfilmwrapandfoil

zia raza
20-04-2015, 12:41 PM
We are using Evaporation Desert Cooler at home, which definitely creates more moisture and thus a potential to bear rust so some oiling and then plastic wrapping has been my remedial strategy.

thank u brother for ur kind advise...

a_rsoud
20-04-2015, 01:19 PM
1. The reason for misfire could be gun specific or ammo specific. Some guns have light strike. Sometimes ammo has defect like very hard primer or bad primer or bad powder. Ammo is made in bulk. If quality check is poor, sometimes an entire faulty batch is send to market. Otherwise 2 / 3 round in 1000 is not that big issue.

2. I have seem a fellow member 'Ahmad' firing world war II era .45 ammo and none misfired. He also had .22 ammo made by Eley in 1970. This ammo also never misfired. So, the age of ammo is quite long. I heard that pistol and rifle ammo has 30 years of life and shotshell have around 10 years. After that there are chances of misfire.

3. Army stores it's ammo at room temperature i.e. 25 C. That is the ideal temperature. The more important factor is moisture than temperature.

So the conclusion is..............

1. Direct sun light heating is not a issue for weapon and ammo (just melt the rubber grips or fade the color due to high temp)
2. Use the good quality ammo (either it is little expensive) to avoid the miss fire and keep the Gun barrel in good condition.
3. Avg life of ammo consider 15-20 years (for good quality ammo only).
4. Keep the weapon and ammo far away from moisture in a dry place and properly clean the gun after use.

but the minimum temperature is still under discussion, i hope so min temperature not cause the misfire because siachen glacier war zone is the example of it or they have special ammo.............

skywalker233
20-04-2015, 01:29 PM
For storing ammo I use two cases which I had bought from Sitara Market for Rs. 400 each. They are airtight, foam lined, metal cases originally for optics.

hmd
20-04-2015, 02:56 PM
For storing ammo I use two cases which I had bought from Sitara Market for Rs. 400 each. They are airtight, foam lined, metal cases originally for optics.
Bro this is the best way to store ammo .

jhb
20-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Make sure to put a desiccant in with it as the foam absorbs humidity/moisture. Have the issue here. Got to keep the foam dry from the start before its sealed.

skywalker233
20-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Make sure to put a desiccant in with it as the foam absorbs humidity/moisture. Have the issue here. Got to keep the foam dry from the start before its sealed.

I assume the foam was placed for the protection of the optics. Should I take the foam out?

My pistol case has foam too.

BreakNeck
20-04-2015, 05:46 PM
@Jibz: Stretch wrap is a great and cost effective idea.

Any advice on storing ammo that it remains safe even if you have a fire in your room or closet where ammo is stored?

jhb
21-04-2015, 04:14 AM
@Skywalker....

They sell gun cases here with foam for protecting from scratches and impacts etc. In north america...some places like out west of the mississippi river the relative humidity is low and its dry so no issues. Where i am in the swamps with high relative humidity. ..the foam absorbs moisture and causes rusting of firearms. So i wax them or oil them well with corrosion x or another very corrosion resistant oil for storage. I like the foam for scratch and bang protection...but it fails on keeping the firearm corrosion free....where i am.

Desiccants work well too as they absorb the moisture and maintain lower levels of it. Guess it depends where you are and the humidity conditions. Course some firearms like glocks have very anti corrosion coatings and just don't really rust easily or at all.

Where i am its wet all the time so i am extreme on protecting my tools. If you've never had a problem and the rh is less or between 40 to 57%.....you should be okay as is.

shahroze
22-04-2015, 04:39 PM
For long term storage for guns and knives, Petroleum jelly does the trick for me.

Fraz
22-04-2015, 09:21 PM
where can i get desiccants?

shahroze
22-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Medical store or chemical stores.

Aquarius
22-04-2015, 11:58 PM

If its not available, go to stationery and get chalk.. It will work even better than desiccant.

D3AD!
26-04-2015, 10:02 AM

you can also try a cheap alternative to desiccants incase these are not available take handfull of activated charcoal or simple charcoal and wrap it in cotton cloath with small holes in it or any mesh type cloath then place it in your ammo container or gun container simple.
Note!
1. Break the charcoal to small pieces near the size of an almond prior to wrapping but remember dont crush it to fine powder.
2. Change the charcoal after 2-3 months regularly.

D3AD!
26-04-2015, 10:03 AM
For long term storage for guns and knives, Petroleum jelly does the trick for me.
Bro how you apply petroleum jelly to guns and knives with leather sheath ???
what about WD40 spray.

D3AD!
26-04-2015, 10:07 AM

These are good, mine cases are plastic ones coming next month. you got them at very good price

D3AD!
26-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Dear Seniors,

Sincerely

Dont worry about this, Bullets will never go off in case of hot temperature according to your senerio. A bullet out side a proper gun barrel is dangerous but not as dangerous as it is assumed.

Here are some videos check these out: (your senerio is never going to be that extreme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NcD2rZ9H4
(havnt cause the damage as it was supposed or assumed to do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtHMeeJUKdo
(not even a single pellet penetrated)

Reason is that in barrel all the energy attained by burning of the gun powder is directed towards a single direction (towards projectile) this is what gives it lethal and immense kinetic energy.

Now check this how a bullet behaves in a barrel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7_0U3KIZE

how a cartridge behaves when even his primer is hit outside a barrel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQ4ff2VqZY

All videos are self explanatory.

shahroze
26-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Apply Petroleum jelly and keep the blade in the cardboard sheet it came in or in its box. NO need to store it in the sheath.
Kbar also recommends storing their knives this way.
I use wd40 and wipe it off instantly to clean the blade, for longer period of time it may cause any coating on the blade such as phosphate to erode, But you can use it on stainless steel knives.

D3AD!
26-04-2015, 12:09 PM
And what about handguns and rifles ?

shahroze
26-04-2015, 01:09 PM
For my shotgun I apply a very slim layer of petroleum jelly outside on external parts, like barrel.
I clean the internals wit Brunox turbo spray.
same with with pistols but for internals of pistol I use Nasa

Safdar Mahmood Khan
28-04-2015, 05:47 AM
No need to worry bro,as long as there is no direct sunlight falling on the cartridges then its alright.

BreakNeck
02-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Any advice on storing ammo that it remains safe even if you have a fire in your room or closet where ammo is stored?

Leon
02-05-2015, 08:33 PM
For that you need to have a fireproof cabinet.

BreakNeck
02-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks Leon bro.
So basically nothing which we can find easily here. Rite?

Leon
02-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Fireproof cabinet is not that costly. There are locksmith in Gujranwala who makes very good fireproof cabinets.

Ahmad
02-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Fireproof cabinet is not that costly. There are locksmith in Gujranwala who makes very good fireproof cabinets.
We bankers know this for long time.

Abbasp07
03-09-2015, 01:40 AM

Salaam bro, I want to satara market today looking for these boxes and spent about 3 hours wondering from shop to shop. And I couldn't find anything remotely like them. When I showed em these pics they looked shocked and amazed lol. Any chance of a shops name please or does any one please know in Islamabad rawalpindi area? Also these look kinda familiar? From some where, Are they army ammo boxes by chance? Please help. And lastly I have read about storing weapons and ammo but is there a way to store for extended periods of time like from a couple of months to years in one easy way? Sorry for the Silloth question but with so many methods it's alot to take in and I don't want to get it wrong to find out I made a mistake and the weapon has got rusty or needs new parts which could be avoided. Thank you guys soo much.