PDA

View Full Version : A snap cap question

Denovo87
01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
My question to Members, can we use fired bullet as snap caps?

HasanJamshad
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes we can do that, rather i still use used shells in my .22 rifle for practice as i wasn't able to find snapcaps in .22LR caliber.

Denovo87
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks Hasan, appreciate that. One more thing, how do you get the fired round of correct diameter as brass gets bit swolen after its fired & quite thick to insert in the chamber.

HasanJamshad
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
This does not happen to all shells firstly and secondly this seldom happens to rimfires due to the low energies. We can get ample wel shaped shells after a session of firing.

MHMalik
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I suppose that depends on how tight or loose the chamber of the weapon is. If using the same weapon in which the shell was fired, I dont think the case expands more than the chamber..

Think of it in this way.. if it can be extracted and ejected, it can go back in since the two processes take place AFTER the process of case expansion..

I've never tried it.. I'm speaking from a purely theoretical point of view.. reality is not always the same as theory.. So I could be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me here if wrong.

One thing though.. with rimmed cartridges such as the 9mm etc, putting the bullet or the case directed into the chamber and slamming home the bolt or slide is not good for the extractor.. since it is hard steel (usually) and slamming it means the extractor has to slide over the rim. Hard steel being brittle.. well you can imagine the rest I suppose.. So try wherever possible to load it through a magazine. Although chances are that nothing will happen to it, but considering our lack of access to spare parts and weapons being on the expensive side, I figure why take a chance.. With magazine loading the rim part slides up nicely behind the extractor and all is fine.. :)

Happy Dry Firing

Denovo87
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I actualy was looking for .357, tried about 40 brasses but neither gets is cylinder, any tip on making these brasses bit smaller in girth?

HasanJamshad
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Friend, today is my shooting day and will try to figureout your problem at shooting range. There is a friend who handload .357 magnum and .44 magnum, he collects all spent shells of the said calibers at the shooting range, will ask him how does he manage the deformed shells. Untill then i can offer the following advice.
Firstly you can remove the projectile of the bullet without firing it. this is nither dangerous nor difficult. This way you will have a shell in perfect shape.
Secondly, these revolvers come with a red round plastic strip packed in cylender if you haven't thrown that strip that is ideal for dry firing. I use that strip in my RAGING BULL .44 magnum for dry firing.
Finally, try to figure it out why your spent shells are deforming beyond the size of the cylender of your revolver. It must be hard to remove these from the cylender as ejection of spent shells in side opening cylender revolvers need only hand energy.

Denovo87
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks, will wait for your advise, I think your friend handloading these rounds must have a die to resize the fired shels.
Also will love to hear/learn how he manages to get the dies, projectile, powder, primer caps etc for reloading as I would love to do that if I can get hands on these things.

HasanJamshad
01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
There are two guys Col. JO and Mr NM both have hand loading equipment and all the accessories. They have somehow managed to get their hands on all the equipment. Both are national level shooters one has represented Pakistan in SAARC and other has been Bigbore national champion. They both are of the view that one cannot excel in the field of competetive shooting unless one is not able to manipulate ballistics.

Denovo87
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
That's very true, using specific powders (fast, slow, meduim etc), manupolating with projectile weights you can perfect your weapon & yourself for competition. But for someone like me its only economy my dear.

HasanJamshad
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Denovo87, i tried to find deformed spent shells that will not fit in the chamber but wasn't successful. I tried 9mm, .38special fired in .357magnum revolver and .44magnum. All shells went easily in the chambers of pistols and revolvers. Just one thing happend and that was a 9mm shell fired from a Taurus 24/7 didn't go in Glock 17 chamber. I can't figure it out how come all of your fired shells are so much deformed.

KageFox
02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
What does bulging in ejected cases indicate? We experienced it when I fired my father's Taurus PT57 (.32ACP) for the first time. The gun has long since been sold, but I would like to know what to do if this problem appears in another gun in the future.

Denovo87
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Hasan, I am gratefull for your time & effort. I think I was being bit carefull as fired brass doesnot go in the cylinder as easy as the new round but after reading your above post I put bit pressure & everything is smooth. Shells inserted in by force get the size right & keep sliding in n out smoothly afterwards. You are great man hassan solved my problem, fired 20 rounds in your name, but dry :D

HasanJamshad
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
You are most welcome Denovo, i have also got 6 snapcaps of spent shells for my .44 magnum by firing my RAGING BULL after quite some time. :)

Enigmatic Desires
05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Have yet to see any snap caps for shot guns. I routinely use my spent shells

StevenCline
18-09-2009, 01:33 AM
My question to Members, can we use fired bullet as snap caps?

I have manufactured "dummy rounds" using fired brass and new bullets. No powder, no primer.

Ilyas
18-09-2009, 01:52 AM
@All brothers... has anyone of you ever ordered snap caps from Cabela's. I tried to order some but
at the check out stage was warned that these were not meant for export :( Even the humble snap
caps are on the banned items list :mad:
@Steven... Can you please post pics of these "dummy rounds" ?

StevenCline
21-09-2009, 05:46 AM
@Steven... Can you please post pics of these "dummy rounds" ?

Yes sir, I can:

http://www.postimage.org/gx1zUxkA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1zUxkA)

http://www.postimage.org/gx1zUCjS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1zUCjS)

http://www.postimage.org/gx1zUWh0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1zUWh0)

Nothing more than brass and bullet; no primer and no powder... nothing to make it go boom.

Denovo87
21-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Steve, but can they be used as snap caps? as I cannot see any thing to take the firing pin strike in dry firing.

StevenCline
21-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Steve, but can they be used as snap caps? as I cannot see any thing to take the firing pin strike in dry firing.

Sorry about the confusion. I use them to simulate the weight and feel of a loaded magazine when practicing reloads.

I did not intend to communicate that they are used like snap-caps- in that they provide something for the firing pin to strike.

It is safe to dry fire most modern firearms. I've dry fired a Glock and Kimber hundreds of thousand of times each.

Ilyas
21-09-2009, 11:37 PM
@Steven... Thanks for the pics and clarification :)