PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: SxS vs O/U Shotguns

Topak
19-07-2009, 11:25 AM
A.A. nice to have your time.
i want to know which DBBL shot gun is best SxS or O/U.as i have seen people are using SxS for hunting and O/U for sports and shooting. what are their advantages and disadvantages?
which is best or both are equal in shooting and hunting...
please explain..

Denovo87
19-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Very interesting question, wanted to put same myself, you took the lead Topak.
Waiting expert comments.

Dr Zakir
19-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I think 12 gauge may be help for us although I think would be a matter of personal preference and not much diff in pros or cons

MUSTANIR
19-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I think mostly it is the difference between TRADITIONALISM vs MODERNISM.

12GAUGE
19-07-2009, 01:34 PM
there we go again, I guess it was just a matter of time before this forum consumes itself over this age old debate of SxS vs O/U. in almost every single forum on internet and where ever two or more shotgunnners meet this topic eventually pops up. to me this is like which came first, "chicken before the egg" or "the egg before the chicken" type dilema.

allow me to simplify it for you guyz in a bid to put this blaze out before it does any serious damage.

Originally if u look back through the history pages, the first double barrel was infact an O/U (contarary to a popular belief that Adam and Eve used to hunt with a SxS shotgun). it was later a SxS was designed, not because it offered any advantage by its design, it was basically that vertical stacked barrels (in O/U) posed problems in designing an efficient/effective/reliable trigger mechanism. A double barrel SxS's trigger mechanism (hammer and flint lock types) was easier to design in a horizontal configuration. as the technology progressed, browning gave re-birth to O/U design with the legendary trigger mechanism still considered the most reliable of any shotgun ever produced. now with dawn of international sporting events and splendid media converage of those events and styles/trends associated with it, O/U are making a huge come back, pushing SxS in to the haze which for long has been the domain of O/U.

That was the histroy lesson, now lets get digging into the advantages/disadvantages of each type.

SxS:

Barrels are stacked horizontaly, this gives low profile to the receiver (a plus), breaking open the sidelock/boxlock is easier as user doesnt have to open it to a larger angle to insert/eject the cartridges. it gives a large sighthing plane, somewhat usefull in bird hunting (flushing). then there is that traditionalism associated with a fine SxS shotgun. since barrels are horizontally stacked, their over all profile is lowered, giving an impression (only an impression) they'll swing more smoothly to a fast moving target.

Down side to this type of barrel configuation is that recoil is a mess, one barrel pushes the shoulder one way and other barrel pushes it the other way (to a degree i'm not comfortable with). the muzzle jump is screwy too, one barrel flips right and other barrel flips left.

O/U:

Here, barrels are stacked vertically, one barrel on top of the other hence single sighting plane for both barrels. your both barrels (ideally) should behave as if its a single barrel gun. narrow and single sighting plane is a big plus in skeet/trap (as the target is small and fast moving). the same can be said about hunting scenarios as single sighting plane is quiet helpful. recoil is superb, single recoil angle, same barrel jump/flip for both barrels is also very helpful (when u consider second shot at the same fast moving target).

Downside to vertically configured barrels would be that receiver is odd looking, its not sleek enough (with newer machining however receivers are comming in ever slimmer and low profile shapes). you have to break open the shotgun to a larger degree to insert/eject cartridges since reaching down to the chamber of bottom barrel can be considered difficult (can be a pain if you have to do it over and over and over and over and over again). larger angle break opening also poses problems in duck blinds (limited space).

Summary:

Well, in the end it all boils down to personal preferance, however if u look at the general trend worldwide, sport shooters almost always prefer O/U (its the "in-thing" these days), a fine over and under shotgun is perfect for serious sports shooting along with hunting every now and then. infact internationally anybody who prefers sports shooting (given a O/U user) would almost always prefer a O/U for hunting as well.

On a sports field, a Side by Side is like an extinct species, u cant do skeet or trap with it (ok u can, sorta like Suzuki Mehran can do a little bit of off-roading if the need ever arises). the wider sighting plane might be useful in bird hunting but poses serious problems in skeet/trap as the target totally disappears between the two barrels. thats why u dont see any SxS in any international sporting event. for hunting this wider sighting is a plus (for some).

in the end it all boils down to personal taste and preference. if u see ur self in the mirror as a person wearing a traditional khaky safari suit with brown leather long boots smoking a cigar, i'm sure if u'll also see a SxS shotgun in the picture as well.

and if u see ur self wearing a half sleeve polo shirt, NIKE/ADDIDAS sports shoes/joggers, sports/digital watch, a very cool shade, ducks unlimited eyewear, and an energy drink in the nearby then ur probably the O/U type of a guy.

Regards.

Saeen
19-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Nice way to summarize 12 Gauge :)

in the end it all boils down to personal taste and preference. if u see ur self in the mirror as a person wearing a traditional khaky safari suit with brown leather long boots smoking a cigar, i'm sure if u'll also see a SxS shotgun in the picture as well.

and if u see ur self wearing a half sleeve polo shirt, NIKE/ADDIDAS sports shoes/joggers, sports/digital watch, a very cool shade, ducks unlimited eyewear, and an energy drink in the nearby then ur probably the O/U type of a guy.

Hamid
19-07-2009, 03:35 PM
@12gauge has a keen observation. Impressive!!!!!!!!

Dr Zakir
19-07-2009, 03:47 PM
good and well explained

Sialvi
19-07-2009, 03:49 PM
moreover during skeet/trap shooting if u shoot with ur sxs after a few rounds u would have to wear glove to avoid burning ur fingers by touching the barrels due to thin forend on the other hand o/u got advantage of thicker forend hence no chance of burning hand or fingers. so for sports shooting o/u got the edge. though i myself like sxs for hunting

Usama
19-07-2009, 03:59 PM
12 gauge
Sir tussi cha gay hoo!! :)

Sorry for the roman lan..

Enigmatic Desires
19-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Okies.. after baara guage's explanation.. i have to rush an get a O/U..

Turumti
19-07-2009, 05:37 PM
@12Gauge

Nothing like driven grouse on Caithness moor on the Glorious 12th. I shall assume that you will be wearing tweeds, carrying a pewter hipflask filled Scotland's finest, and of course, your servant shall load your sidelocks. You have a bespoke pair, dont you, old chap? I am told Lord Harrington gifted a matched pair of Royals to your grand father for his support in securing him a seat in the House of Lords. ;)

And please do not bring that noveau riche upstart coal merchant who shoots that ugly over under!! :P

12GAUGE
19-07-2009, 06:21 PM
@12Gauge

Nothing like driven grouse on Caithness moor on the Glorious 12th. I shall assume that you will be wearing tweeds, carrying a pewter hipflask filled Scotland's finest, and of course, your servant shall load your sidelocks. You have a bespoke pair, dont you, old chap? I am told Lord Harrington gifted a matched pair of Royals to your grand father for his support in securing him a seat in the House of Lords. ;)

And please do not bring that noveau riche upstart coal merchant who shoots that ugly over under!! :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Turumti, u crack me up man! :lol:

DONT WORRY OLD CHAP! I SHALL NOT BRING THE ONE WHO SELLS FOUL COAL AND DRIVES A MAYBACH, A CHEAP MONSTROSITY INDEED, BOTH QUALITIES OF A SUBSTANDARD GENTLEMAN, FIE, FIE, FIE, HE NEITHER DESERVES THE FINE SPORT OF HUNTING NOR DESERVES TO BE IN THE COMPANY OF FINE BLOODLINED AND THROUGHBRED GENTLEMEN SUCH AS YOURSELF AND ME.

REGARDS.

P.S. GIVE MY REGARDS TO THE QUEEN NEXT TIME U VISIT HER, ITS BEEN A WHILE I'VE WALKED UP THE STEPS OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE, ITS THE HIP JOINTS OF THIS OLD TIMER THAT WILL NOT ALLOW ME, TELL HER THAT SHE IS IN MY THOUGHTS EVERY MOMENT THAT I'M AWAKE.

MHMalik
19-07-2009, 07:04 PM
@ Turumti

Now that is what I would call hitting the nail on its head!

s/s!

Enigmatic Desires
19-07-2009, 08:05 PM
@12Gauge

Thats it.. i just decided to discard my U/D . (Damn how did I let 12 guage talk me into accquring something so so (ugh) plebian

P.s I just opened the account of my voltro for the 1st time.. handles like a dream

Ka_Khan
19-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Informative 12 guage.
The last 2 paragraphs explains everthing.
For the time being i will qualify as a o/u fan but after 10 years i will switch to sxs!

12GAUGE
19-07-2009, 11:19 PM
P.s I just opened the account of my voltro for the 1st time.. handles like a dream

what kinda valtro? pump or semi auto?

Regards

Enigmatic Desires
20-07-2009, 03:03 AM

what kinda valtro? pump or semi auto?

Regards

Semi... 1st shotgun I ever fired in my life. I don't think I want any other kind of fire arm again.. not a pump or a o/u or an ss..

I have achived Nirvana. complete self actualization.. Now all i need is a "Teela" to sit an meditate for the rest of my life..

Ilyas
20-07-2009, 04:21 PM
@ED... Bro, have you ever posted pics of your Valtro on any of the threads.
If not pl, post some so we can also have an idea of the gun, that helped you
achieve nirvana :D

A R K TAREEN
20-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Dear 12gauge
Very nicely explain gentleman, in my opinion it is a matter of personal taste and preference.
Take care, with best regards.

Shariq
20-07-2009, 06:55 PM
12Gauge Sir
Very nicely explained.
Thanks

Fahim
20-07-2009, 08:59 PM
12 gauge = Shotgun solutions

Topak
21-07-2009, 05:35 PM
so what is the END ?
do we go for SXS or O/U for general use.....if i ask i dont have any choice what will you chose for me?

ARlover
21-07-2009, 05:37 PM
o/u is best

Ilyas
21-07-2009, 05:45 PM
so what is the END ?
do we go for SXS or O/U for general use.....if i ask i dont have any choice what will you chose for me?
Well who do you want to be...
A) a person wearing a traditional khaky safari suit with brown leather long boots smoking a cigar
OR
B) someone wearing a half sleeve polo shirt, NIKE/ADDIDAS sports shoes/joggers, sports/digital watch, a very cool shade, ducks unlimited eyewear, and an energy drink in the nearby?
If it's A then a SS or an O/U in case you like B :D
12 gauge... thanks bro, you make so many difficult questions alot easier for us :)

12GAUGE
21-07-2009, 07:53 PM
so what is the END ?

buddy! hahahahahahhaha

SARI RAAT RONDAY RAY, MARYA KOI WEE NA :lol:

"CRIED ALL NIGHT STILL NOBODY DIED"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lemme break it down for u buddy.

do u like Rolex (huge, sorta Paindu bright golden watch) or u like Casio G-shock digital (awesome technology) watch with all sorts of gadgets built into that same single watch.

if u like rolex, u'r SxS kinda guy, if u like G-shock then u'r O/U kinda guy.

Regards

Abu Al Hawl
21-07-2009, 08:48 PM
12g, please yara o/u and s/s can me compared but please dont compare that g-shock with Rolex. yeah you can say that Paindu looks for Rado but not for Rolex!

12GAUGE
21-07-2009, 10:35 PM
12g, please yara o/u and s/s can me compared but please dont compare that g-shock with Rolex. yeah you can say that Paindu looks for Rado but not for Rolex!

my apologies brother, I meant to say paindu looking Rado, instead by mistake i wrote Rolex. oops! my bad.

Regards

Fahim
21-07-2009, 10:38 PM

my apologies brother, I meant to say paindu looking Rado, instead by mistake i wrote Rolex. oops! my bad.

Regards
Log apni Rolex hee use karna chor dey aaap kee wajah say..! lolz.. :lol::lol:

Bhatti
21-07-2009, 11:08 PM
12 gauge can u please tell me the price and performance of DSA double barrel sxs.

12GAUGE
21-07-2009, 11:35 PM
12 gauge can u please tell me the price and performance of DSA double barrel sxs.

my per my knowledge, daudsons gave up making SxS a long time ago. a used SxS would probably fetch around 10-15K depending on condition ofcourse.

Regards

Aamar
22-07-2009, 10:52 AM
so what is the END ?

buddy! hahahahahahhaha

Lemme break it down for u buddy.

do u like Rolex (huge, sorta Paindu bright golden watch) or u like Casio G-shock digital (awesome technology) watch with all sorts of gadgets built into that same single watch.

if u like rolex, u'r SxS kinda guy, if u like G-shock then u'r O/U kinda guy.

Regards

@12 Gauge: A good S/S is much sleeker, better balanced than an O/U, i would say that a good English S/S is like a Patek Philippe while a decent O/U i.e. Boss can be compared to a Vacheron or maybe a Tag :-)

12GAUGE
22-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Aamar wrote:

A good S/S is much sleeker, better balanced than an O/U

I agree to the sleeker part but fail to agree to the SxS being better balanced than a O/U part. the difference is between the barrel configuration only, in actuality there is no difference in amount of material that goes into making both type of shotguns. balance is more like manufacturer to manufacturer sorta thing and has nothing to do with the shape.

Regards

p.s. in my experience, I found no difference in balance between two given the same manufacturer or given the same gun class.

Aamar
22-07-2009, 12:11 PM
@ 12 Gauge: point noted and i second your point about balance and feel depending on the manufacturer .......

Saeen
22-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Okies.. after baara guage's explanation.. i have to rush an get a O/U..

same here :D

Sohail
22-07-2009, 01:45 PM
i personally thing that O/U is with better balance i have checked both and personaly like O/U.

regards

12GAUGE
22-07-2009, 02:06 PM
i personally thing that O/U is with better balance i have checked both and personaly like O/U.

regards

Sohail bhai, balance has nothing to do with the barrel configuation, some people feel that O/U are better balanced, others feel that SxS are better balanced, in actuality, both are equally balance, its the preferance of each individual that makes him/her biased towards the "FEEL"
of each type of shotgun.

Heck, i feel my DSA pump is better balanced than any shotgun out there. in reality, I love my DSA pump, that love/admiration sorta makes me enjoy the "FEEL" of that shotgun more than it actually is.

Regards

Saeen
22-07-2009, 02:16 PM
buddy! hahahahahahhaha

Bhai jaan it would be more like

Sari raat heer ranjha sunday raey, (Listened to the Heer-Ranjha folklore all night)
saweray puchiya heer munda see ya kuri !! (In the morning asked, whether Heer was girl or boy)

No offense topak lalay ;)

Sohail
22-07-2009, 04:53 PM
@ 12 gauge: May be :)

Saeen: tusi sahi aakh dy O

regards

MUSTANIR
22-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Lets wrap it up boys, 12g sent the ball in our court, we shud decide at our on will,,
wheather to wear tweed or nike.

Enigmatic Desires
22-07-2009, 11:43 PM
@ED... Bro, have you ever posted pics of your Valtro on any of the threads.
If not pl, post some so we can also have an idea of the gun, that helped you
achieve nirvana :D

I don't have a camera these days :(

AN shutterfly keeps askin me to become a member before I can down load an display pics..

But this is the weapon I've been talkin about..

http://khyberarms.shutterfly.com/shotgun/317

Ilyas
22-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks ED... it's a nice shotgun :)

Topak
23-07-2009, 04:02 PM
so you guys have made me more confused....
@12 G..neither i use RADO nor CASIO....i dont use wrist watches...what to buy now..SXS or O/U?
@saeen........first you have to tell me heer ranjha then i will ask question about gender.....
very interesting debate guys....
i will go in the favor of four barrel gun two SXS and two OU.......... :lol:

TAREEN
23-07-2009, 04:37 PM
neither i use RADO nor CASIO....i dont use wrist watches...what to buy now..SXS or O/U?

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7286/27200425.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

Ilyas
23-07-2009, 04:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Great post Tareen! Topak Bro... if you closely examine the pic, there are two Mega Slingshots
installed side by side. So it's a sign for you... go for a SxS http://www.postimage.org/templates/images/smiley/angels/2.gif (http://www.postimage.org/)

MUSTANIR
23-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Tareen bro u summed it up with the ruthlessness of a true pathan:D

Ka_Khan
24-07-2009, 12:45 AM
... if u see ur self in the mirror as a person wearing a traditional khaky safari suit with brown leather long boots smoking a cigar, i'm sure if u'll also see a SxS shotgun in the picture as well.

Regards.

hmmm....was wandering where to fit myself if i have a Single barrel :rolleyes:

Enigmatic Desires
24-07-2009, 02:28 AM
... if u see ur self in the mirror as a person wearing a traditional khaky safari suit with brown leather long boots smoking a cigar, i'm sure if u'll also see a SxS shotgun in the picture as well.

Regards.

hmmm....was wandering where to fit myself if i have a Single barrel :rolleyes:

LOLS thats just what i was goin to ask. after all one of the original shot guns was ye ole venerable blunderbuss..

Enigmatic Desires
24-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks ED... it's a nice shotgun :)

I know Ilyas bhai... :)

i was plannin on selling it. but Now I have changed my mind.

Topak
24-07-2009, 04:35 PM
nice pic tareen.....
this GHALELA is best option no SG no license ..........