PDA

View Full Version : Taurus .22 Revolver

Zubair
17-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I am interested in a .22 revolver for HD. Only option available is TAURUS. Would like to know its reviews from members

Ilyas
17-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Bro from what I've learned from the senior members on the forum, .22 is not a
suitable bore for SD/HD. Why don't you go for a larger caliber?

Zubair
17-07-2009, 05:15 PM
On last visit to range ABBAS fired a .22 hollow point on a piece of 1 inch thick marble. It was split into 2.

Ilyas
17-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Well I don't know if Abbas personally would recommend .22 for SD/HD but I still would not
go for it myself :) For me, .30cal, 9mm n .45Acp are the preferred SD/HD calibers :)

Denovo87
17-07-2009, 05:53 PM
On last visit to range ABBAS fired a .22 hollow point on a piece of 1 inch thick marble. It was split into 2.
What was splitted, marble slab or the .22 holow point projectile?

Dr Zakir
17-07-2009, 05:58 PM
My friend had it and he was satisfied it is 7 shot chances of failure of a revolver are very slim . Question is that many would regard it as not sufficent for hd/ sd except you are very confident about aim that you can hot vital organs even it stressful condition

Topak
17-07-2009, 06:23 PM
just a question...
if .22 is not effective for HD/SD what was the purpose to make it ?

Denovo87
17-07-2009, 06:46 PM
just a question...
Hunting bigger birds & smaller animals.

Ilyas
17-07-2009, 11:07 PM
just a question...
Hunting bigger birds & smaller animals.
Well in my opinion, not all the calibers are meant for a single purpose. I agree with Denovo,
besides big birds n small animals, it's meant for target practice and fun shooting. Regarding
it's use for SD, I don't say it would be ineffective. If used properly, even a slingshot or a knife
can be effective for SD, but one can't call these suitable SD weapons.

Conceal Carry
17-07-2009, 11:59 PM
.22 for SD is a NO NO. For target practice it's the best round in my humble opinion.

Monis
18-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Rimfire bullets are not much relible for self defence. go and see .22 amunition encyclopedia it will help u

Dr Zakir
18-07-2009, 12:51 AM
very right conceal carry best use of .22 is target practice or small animal or birds

Zubair
18-07-2009, 10:37 AM
What was splitted, marble slab or the .22 holow point projectile?

The marble slab.

KageFox
18-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Even if it did split a marble slab doesn't mean that it can stop two-legged predators. Although, to be fair, a .22 is the best for defense where handicapped people are concerned.

Plus there's the issue of .22 ammo reliability. Misfires are common and should be expected even with the best of guns and ammo.

If you do want a small caliber gun for defence, you should consider a .25 or .32. If your heart is set in a revolver... maybe a .32 or .38... I'm not much of a revolver guy :/

As someone said earlier, best caliber for home defence would be the 9mm or the .30TT, and the .45 if you can control it...

Hope that helps.

Denovo87
18-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I am interested in a .22 revolver for HD. Only option available is TAURUS. Would like to know its reviews from members

Will it be your first weapon, bro? If you already have something of bigger bore at home then no problem with buying a .22 revolver as secondary weapon, it is versatile, fun to shoot and above all economical to shoot.

Incase .22 is used as primary weapon in HD situation you have to keep some realities in mind, .22 bullet is very fast and quite possibly can pass through the body making a small hole but not giving a shock that can put the intruder down so he has a chance to fight back but if you hit him with bigger bore like 9mm or .357 or 12 gauge that will be a decisive hit leaving BG with no chance to even hold his weapon.
PG members are worried about you being in confrontation with a BG (in HD situation) holding smaller weapon so if you have some thing big already use it for primary weapon.
On the lighter side, if you have only .22 revolver in HD situation hold it in your left hand and in your right hold a brick, shoot .22 at BG complimenting with the brick to finish the job.

TAREEN
18-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Not in comparison of bigger bores, but in itself, .22 is a deadly & accurate caliber. Theory and anatomy apart, the biggest factor in BG situation is panic & its totally a different feeling than taking position, grip & breath control at 15 meter range. With extremely low recoil & flip, its dead accurate once pointed at something.

Secondly, being a revolver will take care of any misfires without any FTF & FTE.

We are not comparing it with the bigger bores but even in itself its not a bad choice. It gives additional pleasure to shoot much more ammo and lot less noise.

Zubair
18-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Not in comparison of bigger bores, but in itself, .22 is a deadly & accurate caliber. Theory and anatomy apart, the biggest factor in BG situation is panic & its totally a different feeling than taking position, grip & breath control at 15 meter range. With extremely low recoil & flip, its dead accurate once pointed at something.

Secondly, being a revolver will take care of any misfires without any FTF & FTE.

We are not comparing it with the bigger bores but even in itself its not a bad choice. It gives additional pleasure to shoot much more ammo and lot less noise.

+1
My aim is to have a small, light & handy weapon at home with which even the family women can get used to easily. I have evaluated WALTHER & SIG .22 pistol option but the FTF & FTE issue is there so I am fancying a .22 in revolver. And if anyone wants to evaluate the effectiveness by the sound any ammo makes then its not the case. Years back a friend showed me an expanded .22lr HP ,& its all the convincing you might need

Enigmatic Desires
18-07-2009, 01:20 PM
My freind fired a handgun for the first time. It was a .22. . he tried repeatedly to hit a 2 feet by 2 feet peice of carboard from a distence of 25 fet.. It took him quite a few shots to make a 'hit'

The point being.. Any weapon u buy.. U "must" practice with it till its 2nd nature to u.

This is where the .22 comes into its own... Lighter recoil.. cheaper easily available ammo.. and greater opportunities to practice..

And most of all.. It can be handled by every one in the house..a very very important consideration for an HD weapon specifically.

Having said that. once u are adept at shooting with a .22. It would be much more beneficial to graduate to a heavier calibre.

Taurus
18-07-2009, 06:26 PM
u have only one option that is taurus revolver nothing else for HD others are not reliable

9mm Luger
18-07-2009, 06:44 PM
what is the price tag if i may ask?

KageFox
18-07-2009, 07:06 PM
in a case where .22 would be the weopon of choice, what to choose: .22Magnum or .22LR

Btw, 9-10 months back, I saw a beautiful pair of Dan Wesson .22 Magnum Revolvers at Haris Traders, Saddar. Demand was, if I remember correctly, somewhere a little above 100K

Hamid
18-07-2009, 07:09 PM
.22 Magnum because of more powerful round.

SAJJAD ALI
18-07-2009, 07:21 PM
In SD and HD with the performance we also need a big bang to harras our enemy.in HD & SD the aim is not to kill the other person But the main aim is to harras it and in very rare cases we used to shoot them direct.so go for a midium range weapon like in hand 9mm or 12 guage shotgun.

KageFox
18-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Is Taurus available in .22 Mag? Any idea of price?

Dr Zakir
19-07-2009, 01:33 AM
not adviseable to keep .22 as primary HD weapon unless you are hitting a vital organ you are in a deep trouble , remember any body intruding would be full of adrenaline due to stress thats why BG some time keep on coming after 9mm hits also then best would be a 9mm if you have good practice with a pistol , dont expect to hit anything if your not having regular practice in this case shot gun would be best and you can keep .22 as a backup

Abu Hafs
19-07-2009, 02:20 AM
in HD & SD the aim is not to kill the other person But the main aim is to harras it and in very rare cases we used to shoot them direct.

Sorry bro I disagree with your assertion that the main aim in a defensive situation would be to merely harass an assailant. If someone threatens my life or that of a loved one or enters my home armed with bad intentions, I'm gonna want to stop him dead in his tracks whatever that takes.

Shariq
19-07-2009, 02:34 AM
I agree with Sajjad. Plz don't kill if u can harass away a bandit. Legal proceedings in a purely SD case are daunting.

MHMalik
19-07-2009, 04:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFGsTsNxa8

If you want a Taurus HD revolver.. may I suggest you see the above link... consider the fate of the watermelons..

I dont think there would be much of a lawsuit after that..

http://bluesteeldemocrats.blogspot.com/2009/04/taurus-judge-promoted-as-anti.html

I dont think it gets much better than this.. :)

Abu Hafs
19-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Legal proceedings in a purely SD case are daunting.

Can one of our resident lawyers or L.E.O's please clarify the law with regards to home defense.

If someone were to shoot and kill or injure an armed home intruder, would he be liable for prosecution?

Enigmatic Desires
20-07-2009, 03:16 AM
in a case where .22 would be the weopon of choice, what to choose: .22Magnum or .22LR

Btw, 9-10 months back, I saw a beautiful pair of Dan Wesson .22 Magnum Revolvers at Haris Traders, Saddar. Demand was, if I remember correctly, somewhere a little above 100K

I believe i saw the same rev at Harris a few months back. The S&W .22 mag 8 shot.. God! the trigger was like "Stiff" with a capital "S" !!

It was so stiff I thought it was on safe!

The price tag at that time was 120K

KageFox
20-07-2009, 08:33 AM
So are there any good .22 Mag choices?

Jackal
20-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Try .32 long revolvers. They are quiet deadly and good rounds for home and self defence. Taurus are good brands and can be handled well by anyone in home if available in Pakistan.

Moeen
20-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Salam All,
I believe that the thread was started asking something different from where this thread is. The taurus revolver that Zubair mentions at the start of this thread was purchased by me about two years ago. I bought it from Malik Fayaz of Hira Arms for about 45k. It truely is a great weapon as far as its features go.... light weight, 10 shot, adj. sights (although with a 1.5 inch barrel the sights are useless feature), rubber grips, 1.5 inch barrel; however, one very important problem needed to be corrected first with my pistol. Sometimes the firing pin would not strike the .22 cartridge hard enough for it to fire. This was easily corrected and since then the weapon fires great. It beats having to lug around a full size auto. If its only for self defence then I would recommend it.

KageFox
20-07-2009, 09:39 AM
@Moeen: Sir, which taurus model was this?

Ka_Khan
20-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Thead cleared.Discussion about S/D and Pakistan Penal Code moved under separate head in Club House.

Monis
20-07-2009, 11:13 PM
.22 magnum revolver price in karachi 60k