PDA

View Full Version : home made bluing

rizwan
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
any idea about bluing the firearms? Expert members welcome.

Asif Jhammat
07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
get brichwood casey bluing kit,,,and try....u may succeed

B-King
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
any idea about bluing the firearms? Expert members welcome.
You can blue once you buy the bluing Kit. if they are available. I agree with Asif!

Fudgepacker
08-10-2013, 12:10 PM
You want to blue a whole gun, or just a small part? Either way, it's 90% prep work, the actual bluing is the easiest part. Get a good quality cold blue kit and you should get professional results if you take your time and follow the instructions.

sadatpk
08-10-2013, 09:56 PM
You want to blue a whole gun, or just a small part? Either way, it's 90% prep work, the actual bluing is the easiest part. Get a good quality cold blue kit and you should get professional results if you take your time and follow the instructions.
pls elaborate F.p ,such a short post does not suit u,we wanna read u more and more

Fudgepacker
09-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Now you're just making fun of me :biggrin1:

Enigmatic Desires
14-10-2013, 12:10 PM
now you're just making fun of me :biggrin1:

+1 :d :d :d

Apache Warrior
30-01-2014, 03:46 AM
any idea about bluing the firearms? Expert members welcome.it depends what kind of bluing you want to do???
1.Hot Caustic Bluing
2.Cold Bluing
3.Rust Bluing

K-203
30-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Rightly said by Sadat bro need a little more elaboration will be good if someone take the effort
apache bro can you pls give some account of all the three; their pros cons ...

to be realy honest; for some one as lame as my self the term blueing itself starts giving weired ideas ... :)

lifebreakking
31-01-2014, 01:27 AM
Cold rust blueing is in detailed shown by me in my threat regenerating a shotgun. . may help you out

Apache Warrior
03-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Rightly said by Sadat bro need a little more elaboration will be good if someone take the effort
apache bro can you pls give some account of all the three; their pros cons ...

to be realy honest; for some one as lame as my self the term blueing itself starts giving weired ideas ... :)well in all of these processes the metal gets a fine coat of oxide on its surface, the durability of that oxidation depends on the process used.
1.Hot Caustic Bluing
In this process caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) is mixed with Potassium Nitrate and slowly dissolved in water then heated to a slow rolling boil.
The parts are then submerged in the mix using steel wires for about 25 minutes approx it may take less or more time depending on the chemicals.When the desired finish is achieved the parts are dipped in hot clean water to wash the caustic chemicals off.
After washing the parts get dried using cloth or hairdryer/compressed air and then oiled overnight to get rid of the moisture and completely stop the oxidation process.
Note: Only carbon steel or Iron parts should be used for this process caustic soda can easily dissolve Aluminum alloys or damage them beyond repair so be carefull,this process doesnt have any effect on Stainless steel,Chrome lined barrels are not affected the chrome remains clean and the rest of the barrel gets blued.
This process is not too difficult and good quality bluing can be achieved using the process I have done this at home a couple of times and is more durable than cold bluing.
I will share the whole process if anyone is interested?

hsnmz
03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Apache bro we are interested and will appreciate if you can add some pics to the explanation

K-203
03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Apache bro plsssssssss doooooooo ....

cpme on man post it ... how many assurances do u need ... ;)

Counterstrike
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Apache bro we are waiting...

Apache Warrior
04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Apache bro plsssssssss doooooooo ....be patient I will upload it soon composing it in detail.

cpme on man post it ... how many assurances do u need ... ;)Ok lets get started
MATERIALS:
1.Potassium Nitrate (Qalmi Shora)
2.Caustic Soda
3.Water
4.Dish washing Bar
5.Steel or Iron container
You can easily get the materials at chemical supply shops or traditional Herbs stores or PANSAAR stores if they ask tell them you need it for RANGAI most of them know it.
First you will need to find a steel or iron container I used a Ghee container cut in half works best, degrease it by washing and then boiling some water with washing soda and dish washing soap in it.
Your container is ready the next step is to mix the salts with water the mixing formula is as follows.
For 1 litre water mix 1 kilo of Potassium Nitrate (Qalmi Shora) and 1 kilo of Caustic soda.
Fill the container with the measured amount of cold water(never use hot water) then start adding the caustic soda to the water note that the temperature of water will rise as the caustic soda dissolves stir with a piece of steel rod,spoon or anything made of iron or steel.
Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection bcz caustic soda is really corrosive and make sure you do this process out side in open air and please avoid the fumes.
After adding and dissolving the caustic soda start adding the Potassium Nitrate and mix.
Mark the water level in the container use a piece of steel wire to mark the water level and hang it on the container wall so you can monitor if the level decreases.
Now take your metal parts and tie them with steel or iron wire
the parts must be prepared by polishing and then degreasing with spirits or by boiling them in a solution of water,washing soda and dish washing soap (hard soap like Rin works best).
After degreasing do not touch the parts with your hands because the grease from your hands will show on the finish.
After metal prep and degreasing hang all of the parts to a wooden dowel using steel or iron wire dont use aluminium,copper or brass so that the parts dont sink to the bottom,some of the salts re crystalise on the of the tank.
Ok now hang the parts in the mix move the parts using up and down motion so that all the surfaces get evenly coated with the bluing mix.
During the bluing process check regularly to see if the metal is getting colour lift the parts out after every couple of minutes to check the progress.During the process if the level of the mixture decreases add small pieces of ice slowly to the mix DON'T ADD WATER due to the presence of high temperature salts the mix will splatter in your face SO BE CAREFUL.
When you get your desired colour take the parts out and dip them in hot water keep the hot hot water ready nearby, take a piece of clean cloth and rub your parts with hot water to wash the caustic salts from the surface use soft plastic brush to clean out of reach places.
After cleaning wash the parts again with hot water the hot water will clean the caustic salts and would also heat the metal and helps in getting the moisture out.Now make sure there is no water droplets present on the surface of your parts because the oxidation process hasn't stopped at this stage use hairdryer or compressed air to remove small water droplets.
After drying put all of your parts in a container and cover them with a water removing oil Kerosene works really well and keep them soaked in for at least overnight the oil will slowly penetrate the surface an stop the oxidation process.
After the curing process take your parts out an start cleaning the surfaces with a paper towel or clean cloth you will notice Black or Red oxide on your rag don't worry its normal clean all the parts and apply another coat of good quality gun oil or any other neutral oil to the surface, at this time hopefully you will get a beautiful bluish black finish.
Thin film of rust may develop after the process on parts if kept moist so please make sure to oil the parts and clean them.
CAUTION:
Do not try to blue you favorite firearm when you are trying the first time use scrap steel or useless gun parts only atempt when you know the process well enough.
This process should only be used to blue carbon steel and iron parts DO NOT use this process on DOUBLE BARREL Shotguns or guns that have SOLDERED parts (QALAI TANKKA) or BRAZED parts because the caustic soda will dissolve the solder and you will get two separate barrels so be careful.
Do not use this process on aluminium alloy guns or you would damage them beyond repair.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not responsible for any kind of damage or injury caused I have warned about the risks involved.

Apache Warrior
05-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Sorry mate dont have any pics I have shared the whole process its not too difficult to perform feel free to ask any questions

Apache Warrior
05-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Apache bro we are waiting... I have posted the whole process check it in my post

Apache Warrior
05-02-2014, 07:27 AM
well in all of these processes the metal gets a fine coat of oxide on its surface, the durability of that oxidation depends on the process used.
1.Hot Caustic Bluing
In this process caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) is mixed with Potassium Nitrate and slowly dissolved in water then heated to a slow rolling boil.
The parts are then submerged in the mix using steel wires for about 25 minutes approx it may take less or more time depending on the chemicals.When the desired finish is achieved the parts are dipped in hot clean water to wash the caustic chemicals off.
After washing the parts get dried using cloth or hairdryer/compressed air and then oiled overnight to get rid of the moisture and completely stop the oxidation process.
Note: Only carbon steel or Iron parts should be used for this process caustic soda can easily dissolve Aluminum alloys or damage them beyond repair so be carefull,this process doesnt have any effect on Stainless steel,Chrome lined barrels are not affected the chrome remains clean and the rest of the barrel gets blued.
This process is not too difficult and good quality bluing can be achieved using the process I have done this at home a couple of times and is more durable than cold bluing.
I will share the whole process if anyone is interested?Check post #15 I have shared the whole process

K-203
05-02-2014, 05:09 PM
THNX bro Apache that's very informative.

rizwan
21-02-2014, 05:37 PM
@apachi warrior ,thank you for information,what is the total time required for this process.